Football
Sponsored by

Aggy to Big10?? Running from big brother?

2,061 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Yogi
Chamberman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-football/news-texas-a-m-big-ten-imminent-cfb-insider-shares-conference-realignment-update-ahead-2024-season-report

This rumor has been floating around for several months. Anyone believe there is any truth to it?
parch
What would be the benefit? Payout isn't any more. You're still competing against UT for recruits, only now you have less bargaining power because the best Texas recruits will overwhelmingly want to play in the SEC/south vs. traveling to Minnesota and Iowa. The optics on it are terrible as well, running from the best conference in America as soon as UT joins.
Johnny Bear
parch said:

What would be the benefit? Payout isn't any more. You're still competing against UT for recruits, only now you have less bargaining power because the best Texas recruits will overwhelmingly want to play in the SEC/south vs. traveling to Minnesota and Iowa. The optics on it are terrible as well, running from the best conference in America as soon as UT joins.

Additionally, I don't see how competing against the likes of Ohio State and Michigan would be all that much easier than competing against the top of the SEC. The aggys are desperate to be nationally relevant and to have a legit shot at winning conference titles, but I don't get how moving to the B1G would give them that much more of a shot at getting there.
parch
Johnny Bear said:

parch said:

Additionally, I don't see how competing against the likes of Ohio State and Michigan would be all that much easier than competing against the top of the SEC. The aggys are desperate to be nationally relevant and to have a legit shot at winning conference titles, but I don't get how moving to the B1G would give them that much more of a shot at getting there.
It might be a little easier, but they'd probably be lumped in with USC/UCLA/UW/Oregon in addition to some of the other B10 West schools, and if the LA schools gear up for the Big 10 with better recruiting that's a meat grinder as well, especially with the increased travel factored.

It would be a dumb move, but I'd expect nothing less from Aggy to be honest. Anything to convince themselves they're a step ahead of UT.
BigGameBaylorBear
Imagine getting them back to the Big12. That would be amazing for our league
SMack
It's about time for them to make a 100-year decision.
BUGWBBear
Chamberman said:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-football/news-texas-a-m-big-ten-imminent-cfb-insider-shares-conference-realignment-update-ahead-2024-season-report

This rumor has been floating around for several months. Anyone believe there is any truth to it?

They won't fare any better there than where they are now. They'll just have to play UT again now which gives ESPN multiple orgasms.
canoso
parch said:

Not having to endure losing to UT over and over again?
Aliceinbubbleland
UT is the candidate, not aggy. No way B1G takes aggy over UT. UT will grow tired quickly of the Mississippi schools, LSU, Tennessee red necks, etc and look to bail. I gues their ball and chain tie to OU is the only reason they went SEC. No way B1G takes jr college OU.
BearFan33
If aggie drop out can we have SEC?
BigGameBaylorBear
We gotta make a bowl game first
PartyBear
I think Texas probably initiated the whole going to the SEC thing in 21 and hence started all the realignment that has occurred since. So I'm not sure why they didnt open talks with the B10. I mean I have a theory. I think Jay Hartzell is trying to give a more conservative image to the school and is somewhat an Abbott ass kisser. The SEC looks more conservative than the B10. But the B10 is the fit for Texas.
Chamberman
BigGameBaylorBear said:

Imagine getting them back to the Big12. That would be amazing for our league
Hard pass!
BigGameBaylorBear
We are running thin on rivalries in the Big12. I looked at this years schedule and the only game that seemed interesting to go to is TCU. I would much rather play texas schools than Iowa St, Kansas, etc
Aliceinbubbleland
BigGameBaylorBear said:

We are running thin on rivalries in the Big12. I looked at this years schedule and the only game that seemed interesting to go to is TCU. I would much rather play texas schools than Iowa St, Kansas, etc
Me too but those days are gone forever
BigGameBaylorBear
I know right… I'm going to miss talking trash to A&M and UT kids in the office, i guess we still have TCU and Tech…
FLBear5630
Chamberman said:

Think about how bad UT is to deal with that A&M would leave after only 3 months of dealing with em...
Method Man
BigGameBaylorBear said:

I know right… I'm going to miss talking trash to A&M and UT kids in the office, i guess we still have TCU and Tech…
Life lesson coming....but If someone doesn't want to be with you....its best to let them go and move on.
I won't miss UT at all, and our biggest athletic accomplishments have all happened since A&M decided they didn't want to compete against us anymore.
johnnychimpo
Method Man said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

I won't miss UT at all, and our biggest athletic accomplishments have all happened since A&M decided they didn't want to compete against us anymore.

RG3 told me that's disrespectful. He said he hung 67 on Washington in the Alamo bowl via 10 win season when Aggy was still on the schedule.
Harrison Bergeron
I feel like that is clickbait. Pretty sure if the Big 20 was interested in Texas (the state) it would already have offered Texas (the university).

While nothing would shock me these days around college football, going to the Big 20 would hurt aggy and bring little value to the Big 20.

Dia del DougO
parch said:

Same as before. They don't want to be in a conference with Texas.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
BigGameBaylorBear
UT are conference killers. Everywhere they go they ruin the conference with their toxicity. They should go independent and spare the rest of the college football landscape from their drama
cowboycwr
Aliceinbubbleland said:

UT is the candidate, not aggy. No way B1G takes aggy over UT. UT will grow tired quickly of the Mississippi schools, LSU, Tennessee red necks, etc and look to bail. I gues their ball and chain tie to OU is the only reason they went SEC. No way B1G takes jr college OU.
Their fans will grow tired of that. But will they talk with their wallets enough to make the administration stop seeing the $$$$$$$ from the TV contracts????
cowboycwr
BigGameBaylorBear said:

UT are conference killers. Everywhere they go they ruin the conference with their toxicity. They should go independent and spare the rest of the college football landscape from their drama
Even if they did that their toxicity would spill over as they would be like ND and want all sorts of special clauses in everything for playoff selection, tv rights, etc.
PartyBear
BigGameBaylorBear said:

This may be true of the XII and the final years of the SWC. If this is true about A&M wanting to leave the SEC now UT being in the SEC starting in June hardly did anything to drive A&M out. It is all on A&M.

Incidentally what started this just click bait going back a few months ago on twitter from realignment obsessed twitter guy who says all sorts of things even if inconsistent with something claimed the day before. I doubt there is much truth or reality to this.
bossbowman
While the SEC and Aggy are a perfect fit it would not surprise me if they left for the BIG. Its all about money and the BIG may have the upper hand over SEC right now, this and the fact A&M had a handshake deal with SEC they would be the only Texas school in the conference and that promise wasn't kept.
boykin_spaniel
The rumor is from that Swaim guy. He's the college football version of a shock jock. A&M ain't leaving the SEC. Off season non sense for writers to write about and readers to read about.
Yogi
parch said:

Sounds like that would be the perfectly Aggy thing to do!
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.