* * Tom Landry Bio, and Not From 30,000 Feet

1,761 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another looong project in the making, the Tom Landry bio. I spoke with several of his former players, family of coaches and other folk to try to nail down Tom Landry, the coach and person as close as possible. If you are looking for a white washed story, this is not it. And I think Coach would appreciate that. I hope I did him justice.

https://meminc.org/tom-landry/
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Football in Texas, Texas Music, and our newest Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
The Stache
Outstanding article, Assassin! Impressive research; you really did your homework.
Realitybites
Great article. Quite a few things I had no idea about. Hard to believe it has been 24 years since he reposed.
DAC
Great read! Very informative and interesting
Assassin
The Stache said:

Outstanding article, Assassin! Impressive research; you really did your homework.
Thanks bud!
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Football in Texas, Texas Music, and our newest Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
Realitybites said:

Great article. Quite a few things I had no idea about. Hard to believe it has been 24 years since he reposed.
Appreciate it. The WWII stuff was something I kinda knew, but had never really tried to find out about. I just so happened to talk to the right guy in England!
Assassin
DAC said:

Great read! Very informative and interesting
Thank you sir!
Assassin

A shot I didnt use in the story. Tom at his first training camp in Forest Grove, Oregon
baylor1984
Did you by chance talk to Mike Renfro. Was lucky to meet him about a month ago out at Lone Star Park and he had an excellent Tom Landry story that showed a very soft side of the man.
Assassin
baylor1984 said:

Did you by chance talk to Mike Renfro. Was lucky to meet him about a month ago out at Lone Star Park and he had an excellent Tom Landry story that showed a very soft side of the man.
Just spoke to the folks in the story. Nearly got an interview with Staubach but just missed. He and Bob Bruenig are in business together on some real estate stuff. I did get Bob, he's in the story
Aliceinbubbleland
Appreciate the read. Great work. I truly admired Landry and was a fan from day one. I saw the first game they played (exhibition) against Green Bay and was a fan until they fired him.

After reading your feaure I know more than I did and I admire him even more for his work ethic, loyalty, and most of all service to our country.
Kamala Harris: Lina Hidalgo on steroids.
Assassin
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Appreciate the read. Great work. I truly admired Landry and was a fan from day one. I saw the first game they played (exhibition) against Green Bay and was a fan until they fired him.

After reading your feaure I know more than I did and I admire him even more for his work ethic, loyalty, and most of all service to our country.
Thanks. Wanted to clarify a few things. In doing so, got my eyes opened to several other things I kinda knew about but hadnt clarified and substantiated them. And I had just interviewed Jerry Rhome a couple of days before so that was interesting. Gave him a call back to verify the info about Tex Schramm doing the deed at Valley Ranch. And he did.
Knight Bear
Assassin said:

Another looong project in the making, the Tom Landry bio. I spoke with several of his former players, family of coaches and other folk to try to nail down Tom Landry, the coach and person as close as possible. If you are looking for a white washed story, this is not it. And I think Coach would appreciate that. I hope I did him justice.

Anyone else having trouble with the link? Really look forward to reading this. Landry (and Staubach) is one of my heroes growing up.
Assassin
Knight Bear said:

Assassin said:

Anyone else having trouble with the link? Really look forward to reading this. Landry (and Staubach) is one of my heroes growing up.
pops right up for me. Let me know.
Assassin

The 1939 Mission football team. Tom is #38 on the back row. The photo is courtesy of Cecil Albrecht whose Dad Don Albrecht is on the second row, third from left.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.