Dave Aranda on what's prompted #Baylor's recent run of recruiting success:

3,790 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ZachTay
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
BBWCBear
Baylor… ALWAYS a day late and a dollar short. CONSTANTLY climbing out of the bottom of the barrel knowing full well they'll never reach the top in any respect. Baylor is just that… Baylor
Daveisabovereproach
"If you pay them, they will come"
Mitch Blood Green
That may be true but I believe it's talent evaluation, too. No way Bell gets in on the Red Oak Edge rusher we just got. With Bell, today, we'd be paying an undersized California Christian school kid no D1 program wanted.
canoso
BBWCBear said:

Baylor… ALWAYS a day late and a dollar short. CONSTANTLY climbing out of the bottom of the barrel knowing full well they'll never reach the top in any respect. Baylor is just that… Baylor
You have no idea how much I wish I could successfully argue with you. Doesn't have to be that way, but we need some hard evidence to the contrary.
Daveisabovereproach
Our NIL game needed to be upgraded, but it's been used by our coaching staff as an excuse. Lack of NIL funding was not why we lost to Texas State and Air Force. That was primarily crappy coaching, conditioning, and general motivation
muddybrazos
Daveisabovereproach said:

Our NIL game needed to be upgraded, but it's been used by our coaching staff as an excuse. Lack of NIL funding was not why we lost to Texas State and Air Force. That was primarily crappy coaching, conditioning, and general motivation
IDK, it may not have been all NIL but it was also the lack of use of transfer portal as well. IF they were proactive on that we woulda been ok. I mean, TX state got a whole team in the portal.
altoids3
I just watched CDA's entire presser. Sorry; but I am still not convinced we will do well this season...especially the new teams coming in. We should've hit the portal and been up to snuff on NIL YEARS AGO. But here we are. Hate to say it......and I will still watch all the games.....but I still feel we are 3-9 at best. CDA's seat is growing hot by the year and it's on fire this year......and looky there.....lurking in the background wringing his hands....Coach Patterson.
BluesBear
altoids3 said:

I just watched CDA's entire presser. Sorry; but I am still not convinced we will do well this season...especially the new teams coming in. We should've hit the portal and been up to snuff on NIL YEARS AGO. But here we are. Hate to say it......and I will still watch all the games.....but I still feel we are 3-9 at best. CDA's seat is growing hot by the year and it's on fire this year......and looky there.....lurking in the background wringing his hands....Coach Patterson.
You bet Patty is waiting in the wings.....DA still on a 1 yr leash...
Daveisabovereproach
muddybrazos said:

IDK, it may not have been all NIL but it was also the lack of use of transfer portal as well. IF they were proactive on that we woulda been ok. I mean, TX state got a whole team in the portal.

We should've been OK regardless. It's not like Texas State or Air Force assembled the AFC pro bowl team in the portal.
BearFan33
I wish he wouldn't have said "we" are paying players. He's a representative of the university.
JP1037
BearFan33 said:

I wish he wouldn't have said "we" are paying players. He's a representative of the university.
Everyone knows by now the schools are steering the revenue to players. Every major school is paying players. Some are even flaunting it. NIL is a ruse.
Dia del DougO
gobears20 said:

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
TinFoilHatPreacherBear

Spot on. CDA is using NIL as an excuse. I mean we've seen the terrible coaching decisions for 2-3 years+. He's been nearly clueless at the helm. Finally seeing some competence, feels like he's being mentored or coached now. Hope it sticks.
BusyTarpDuster2017
gobears20 said:

Something about that exchange that really kills college sports for me.
Killing Floor
Right. I'm not sure I follow the point.

Regarding AFA, Service academy athletes are not permitted to participate in NIL in any capacity.

And as many transfers as Texas State pulled, they were and are much lower than us in NIL distribution. Many of their transfers were depth guys who came to State for play time and easy classes.
ImwithBU

Maybe, but to act like it wasnt a key part is being delusional
IowaBear
Coaching and player development are the key parts. Two things Yoda absolutely sucks at so far.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
ImwithBU said:

A "key" reason we lost to them is because of not enough NIL? That's funny stuff.

I mean sure, if we spend additional x millions we should be able to beat them, but we should have been able to beat them either way last year.

NIL is CDAs excuse for last year, and it will be his crutch for lack of coaching skills. Hoping our new coaches can do better.

OsoCoreyell
Pesos over Player
Daveisabovereproach
ImwithBU said:

Texas State and Air Force were not juggernaut teams when we played them. If we need to break out the checkbook in order to out talent Air Force (as if winning games is simply about recruiting talent on paper - I present to you UT and A&M over the last 12 or so years), then we are truly screwed with Dave as our coach. Go back and look at the betting odds if you don't believe me. Vegas has pretty accurate models since they have money riding on these games. We were heavy favorites in both games for a reason

If we come out with a sound game plan, execute,
and play with basic baseline masculinity, our 2023/2022 squad beats Texas State and Air Force probably 8 out of 10 matchups.
Daveisabovereproach
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

ImwithBU said:

A key reason we lost to them is because of not enough NIL. That's funny stuff.

I mean sure, if we spend additional x millions we should be able to beat them, but we should have been able to beat them either way last year.

NIL is CDAs excuse for last year, and it will be his crutch for lack of coaching skills. Hoping our new coaches can do better.

I will add - Anyone can look at the 247 rankings or any other metric of talent on paper that they want to talk about, doesn't matter. We had far more talent than Texas State or Air Force, and we were heavily favored for a reason. I will give Texas state this: their team looked bigger and stronger than ours, but then again Air Force players are tiny and they whooped us, so it's not a good excuse. Should've won, but they both had a better scheme and better coaching. Not going to beat that dead horse any more. Bottom line, I'm very glad that our current NIL situation is better
Killing Floor
Ok this is getting dumb.

Let's revisit the facts.

1 - it is illegal for any Service Academy student athlete to participate in NIL in any way.

2 - in 2023 when Texas State beat Baylor the Texas State Bobcats were ranked 13th out of 14 Sun Belt programs in NIL.
Puh-Leeez stop saying NIL is why AFA or Texas State beat us. It was a non-factor for both those teams last time we met.

TinFoilHatPreacherBear
I gotta say I really don't like CDAs answer at all. One, of course for the usual reason - not really college athletics anymore, not even in pretense.

Main prob is the answer should be, our new coaches are attracting the right guys, plus we're more strategic with NIL.

As I said above, NIL is going to be CDAs crutch that he relies on to make this team win a few more games due to raw talent, assuming we can outspend some of our conference mates.

Adding NIL money to a guy that can't coach may just prolong the pain. We'll be confusing winning 7 games or so for several years as "momentum".
TideSicem
altoids3 said:

So what is the #...for DA? 6 wins? 7?
BellCountyBear
How long before the IRS wants their piece of this action? Or are they already?
ImwithBU
BellCountyBear said:

Pretty sure the income is taxable. Welcome to adulthood is all I can say
blackie
ImwithBU said:

BellCountyBear said:

Pretty sure the income is taxable. Welcome to adulthood is all I can say
It sure better be.
Killing Floor
NIL income from any source is taxable.
Dia del DougO
If players are being payed, then persons must be getting paid more, right?
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Killing Floor
Not "more" but "better".
OurOurs
They are getting "way" paid.
Mitch Blood Green
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

I gotta say I really don't like CDAs answer at all. One, of course for the usual reason - not really college athletics anymore, not even in pretense.

Main prob is the answer should be, our new coaches are attracting the right guys, plus we're more strategic with NIL.

As I said above, NIL is going to be CDAs crutch that he relies on to make this team win a few more games due to raw talent, assuming we can outspend some of our conference mates.

Adding NIL money to a guy that can't coach may just prolong the pain. We'll be confusing winning 7 games or so for several years as "momentum".

What scares me is it seems he doesn't know. Money is nice but everyone is offering money.
ZachTay
gobears20 said:

Yup, nowhere for Aranda's head coaching incompetence to hide now peeps......
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.