No need to overreact

5,647 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Bearfan21
CorsicanaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am depressed because the offensive play calling looks awful, the defense did not come ready to play out of the gate, Finn's decision making is atrocious, Dave's talent identification skills are questionable and his in game decision making is, well, awful. Nothing appears to have changed from last year except we played a weaker first opponent.
Illigitimus non carborundum
bear2be2
Fre3dombear said:

bear2be2 said:

Fre3dombear said:

If Dave gets to 6 it's cuz the big 12 now sucks that bad

This wasn't a game baylor really had a chance in anyway

What's more disturbing is what we're doing at QB.

And on point afters when down 11. And on 4th down with a guy holding a clipboard 30 seconds earlier.

Dave is Dave to the bitter end. Is what it is.
We definitely had a chance today if we show up ready to play and don't self-destruct in the first 12 minutes. Our defense arrived at the stadium today ready and equipped to keep us in that ballgame. Unfortunately, the offense wasn't up to the task.

But I'm not as depressed as I expected to be in the first half. I think there's a path to a decent season and brighter future. We can compete in this conference, but we've got to get better on offense in a hurry to do it.

We had a chance once rising went down. The ST score doomed us. And even then still had a chance but playing a severely hampered Utah
Even with Rising, they scored 10 offensive points.

We gifted them their second TD with the strip sack and gave them seven more on the FG block.

The defense was really pretty good all game. Better than it had any right to be given how long it was on the field in the first half.
Art_E_Guinn
Daveisabovereproach said:

Break out the juice boxes and rice crispies. Heads held high, I don't want to see any tears. If you keep your head up, you're all winners despite what the scoreboard says
bring on the "bad dudes" who show their junk to masseuses when not ganging around.
bear2be2
CorsicanaBear said:

I am depressed because the offensive play calling looks awful, the defense did not come ready to play out of the gate, Finn's decision making is atrocious, Dave's talent identification skills are questionable and his in game decision making is, well, awful. Nothing appears to have changed from last year except we played a weaker first opponent.
I don't think it's the playcalling unfortunately. We have the same problem this year we had last year -- an O-line that can't block the base stuff.

It's hard to run any offense when you can't block your base stuff effectively.
Stefano DiMera
IowaBear said:

What evidence is there to support us beating either of those teams?
Will be AF (they're terrible) that's the last guarantee win

Have you watched the first 2 weeks of Big 12 football?

Houston got almost shutout by a trash UNLV team.

BYU ..picked last in conference..scraped by SMU..

Cincinnati blew a big lead at home against Pitt..

Im sure you heard about Tech's struggles in defense..

I'm just saying..let's wait till Air Force game before judging season over for ****ing Christ's sake...we dominated a bad team..and.covered the spread against a good team.

None of them are guaranteed wins..but damn...you think everything is a guaranteed loss and I don't get that kind of mindset...
Bearfan21
Yeah I'm definitely the delusional one here…you expect 9-3 after last year? You're right bro we shouldn't pummeled #11 by 30 on the road. Again, I'm not saying Finn wasn't poor today but I'm also not throwing the entire season in the trash after today. Grow up.
Daveisabovereproach
Art_E_Guinn said:

Break out the juice boxes and rice crispies. Heads held high, I don't want to see any tears. If you keep your head up, you're all winners despite what the scoreboard says
bring on the "bad dudes" who show their junk to masseuses when not ganging around.

No one has to show their junk to anybody. We just need better coaches. Last year the excuse was that we lack talent. I know for a fact that we have the talent to be much better than we are, you just have to have the right coach. Utah, Kansas State, Iowa State etc. do not have amazing talent, though I'll allow that their talent is a little better than ours. Coaching makes all the difference
IowaBear
Where did I say every game was a guaranteed loss? Quit putting words in my mouth.
I do however think it's idiotic for any Baylor fan to pencil any game as an auto win considering Dave Aranda is our HC
canoso
Bearfan21 said:

Houston. But allowing 14-17 points would make you one of the best defenses in the country
Exactly. Appreciate my point being affirmed.
Guitarbiscuit
Bearfan21 said:

Yeah I'm definitely the delusional one here…you expect 9-3 after last year? You're right bro we shouldn't pummeled #11 by 30 on the road. Again, I'm not saying Finn wasn't poor today but I'm also not throwing the entire season in the trash after today. Grow up.

I don't feel like growing up at this time. I want to be a Toys R Us kid.
Daveisabovereproach
He's too young to get that reference.
Guitarbiscuit

He's too young to get that reference.
I'm sure you're right.
Quinton
IowaBear said:

Where did I say every game was a guaranteed loss? Quit putting words in my mouth.
I do however think it's idiotic for any Baylor fan to pencil any game as an auto win considering Dave Aranda is our HC
Its not an auto win, with Aranda nothing is. But I think both are well over 50% chances of wins if they can get any offensive production. I expect they can. But again 4-8 would not cut it obviously... need more
Fre3dombear
Stefano DiMera said:

IowaBear said:

I'm just saying..let's wait till Air Force game before judging season over for ****ing Christ's sake...we dominated a bad team..and.covered the spread against a good team.

None of them are guaranteed wins..but damn...you think everything is a guaranteed loss and I don't get that kind of mindset...

Houston has a shot to beat ou tonight
BBWCBear
Stefano DiMera said:

BYU... Houston..is Cincinnati on schedule?

BYU, Houston, Air Force no Cincinnati. Those three are toss ups for behlur. The rest of the schedule are losses.
bear2be2
Fre3dombear said:

Stefano DiMera said:

IowaBear said:

Houston has a shot to beat ou tonight
I think Jackson Arnold may suck. Picking him over Dillon Gabriel will never make sense to me.
BBWCBear
Stefano DiMera said:

IowaBear said:

"covered the spread against a good team"… with their Freshman QB with minimal experience. Remember Utah was pretty much clicking with Cam before he went down. Utah became different at that point.
bear2be2
BBWCBear said:

Stefano DiMera said:

IowaBear said:

"covered the spread against a good team"… with their Freshman QB with minimal experience. Remember Utah was pretty much clicking with Cam before he went down. Utah became different at that point.

Clicking? Not counting the 3-yard field, his six possessions resulted in: punt, TD, FG, punt, punt, missed FG.

They only scored 10 real points with him in the game. We gifted them 14 with the strip sack and the blocked field goal.
GoldenBear007
Team showed a lot of grit yesterday and the offense will get it together. I still see at least 8 wins being obtainable.
Daveisabovereproach
I mean, 10 wins is obtainable since that's how many games are left on the schedule. It's not gonna happen, but they're obtainable
hodedofome
Guys this was another quality loss. We've had a lot of those since Briles was fired. Hold your head up high, a quality loss is a .75 win. Add those up and it's easy to get to 6-8 wins based on Aggy math.
Daveisabovereproach
hodedofome said:

Guys this was another quality loss. We've had a lot of those since Briles was fired. Hold your head up high, a quality loss is a .75 win. Add those up and it's easy to get to 6-8 wins based on Aggy math.

What's funny is that people who didn't actually watch the game are looking at the score and thinking that it wasn't that bad, but this is a great example of a game that was not as close as the score. At no point were we in that game, and we were never remotely in a position where we could come back and win it.
J.J.Crockett
We are going to get our talented, receivers hurt , having them chasing ,after passes , leaving themselves vulnerable to hits like, Presley took .
william
Go Bears!

Fight!!

Beat The Zoomies!!!

- KKM

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating pecan danish }
pro ecclesia, pro javelina
Guitarbiscuit
As long as Fin starts, I see nowhere close to 8 wins. More like 4. With Sawyer, we may get 6 or 7.

GoldenBear007 said:

Team showed a lot of grit yesterday and the offense will get it together. I still see at least 8 wins being obtainable.
JustWinBears
While frustrating to watch, the team did alright, just not where we would hope to be. It was unfortunate to play such a high profile game before the team could gel but also a good punch in the mouth type game that will make other games feel much more manageable. Fortunately it wasn't a conference recorded game so we're still in it for the conference championship if they can grow from this game.

Finn clearly needs to get more comfortable in the offense but did show signs of what could be. This was his biggest game in an incredibly hostile environment so it's not totally surprising to see him struggle to acclimate, but you could see him start to settle in a little bit as the game went on so that's a positive.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Stefano DiMera said:

Yes, there's a lot of overreacting here, we may not lose every game, and given the level of b12 we may do better than average, no one knows because we haven't seen enough of this team yet.

But no one is overreacting in that the product we've seen has been really bad given where Coach Aranda should be at in year 5. The offense is once again just really bad, it's a duct-taped piece of something, with no identity. We shouldn't set our standards based on the quality of some of the B12's really bad peers.
Johnny Bear
On the surface a 23-12 road loss to a tough Utah team certainly isn't embarrassing - except that we all know if Rising hadn't gone down before half time it would've been a lot worse.
blackie
Johnny Bear said:

On the surface a 23-12 road loss to a tough Utah team certainly isn't embarrassing - except that we all know if Rising hadn't gone down before half time it would've been a lot worse.
Probably worse, but don't know about "a lot". Rising played the entire first half except for what the last 2 minutes? Our offense gave them 14 points. A 4-yard "drive" after the strip fumble and a blocked FG for TD. With Rising, they scored 9 points on their own in a half. Not exactly a juggernaut performance. And we gave them plenty of drive opportunities as about all we did in the first half was go 3 (or less) and out.
ImwithBU
Stefano DiMera said:

IowaBear said:

Have to agree with this. There is a reason you have to play the games.. I bought season tickets so I'm either going to see an improving team or a dumpster fire. Either way I will be at the home games
ImwithBU
Johnny Bear said:

We really don't know that. It's not like he was playing lights out. We ran into a buzz saw early and didn't handle it well. I'm not going to act like Rising was the star of that onslaught
Jorkel
Can we overreact yet?
Guitarbiscuit
Your take is wrong. You're part of the problem with the school. Losing to a bad team is AOK with you. And to too many people.

We all knew the O line was going to be poor this season and any QB behind them was going to struggle. This was Finn's first true P4 game and it was on the road against one of the nations best teams.

The defense played very well for a unit that spent a lot of time on the field in the first half. If the offense can work out its kinks (O line, run game) and the defense plays like today, you can see the path to 6 wins. There's no shame in losing to a team like Utah today. I
Bearfan21
Losing to a bad team is not okay with me. This was from 2 weeks ago against Utah who just killed OSU at home? Wrong thread buddy. Last night is inexcusable.
Dia del DougO
Baylor was looking decidedly like the better team on the field and likely winning fairly comfortably. But it didn't turn out that way, thus the lack of enthusiasm for being in a position that allowed losing in dramatic fashion.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.