Matt Rhule

7,496 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by D. C. Bear
BellCountyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hate him if you will, but he has the huskers ranked in his second year at the helm. The guy knows how to build a successful college program, unlike Yoda.
IowaBear
Matt Rhule is 50 times the coach Dip**** Dave will ever be. The hate Rhule gets on here is weird
Bearmanly
IowaBear said:

Matt Rhule is 50 times the coach Dip**** Dave will ever be. The hate Rhule gets on here is weird
Yeah. Weird how Rhule brought Baylor a B12 Championship, NY6 victory, and the best season in history - and people still hate him. So weird... HEY WAIT A SEC....
Jorkel
IowaBear said:

Feelings got hurt because he chose another girl over Baylor. Didn't he know we offer one of the best jobs out there?!
BUGWBBear
BellCountyBear said:

Hate him if you will, but he has the huskers ranked in his second year at the helm. The guy knows how to build a successful college program, unlike Yoda.

He'll be trying to parlay phone calls from the NFL for mo $$$ every off season too…
IowaBear
So you think Dip****Dave is a better coach?? Boy that's the hottest of hot takes.
Dave didn't do **** that season. That was a players lead team.
CorsicanaBear
The only thing I'm hating on Matty over and that's the first season and the loss to Liberty. There was no reason for that. We could have won some of those games, but he was trying to send a message. That kind of thing pisses me off.
Illigitimus non carborundum
IowaBear
The roster from a talent perspective was one of the worst I've ever seen.. and that includes the Vandys, Dukes, KUs of the world (granted I'm still relatively young) so I can't speak on much before like 08.
But that BU team had virtually zero talent. I'll never understand how people can look at that roster and think to themselves "yeah we should have won several games"
I'm not excusing the loss to Liberty but from a talent perspective we weren't any better than them.
fredbear
Hate is strong language. I don't hate him. I do recognize that he has no loyalty to anyone beyond himself and money. That he could not recruit because he was always looking at the help wanted ads in the nfl classifieds. That he used religious speak about calling to the kids at Bu and the Bu mission, then jumped on the first NFL ship that would have him. And that he was not a very good NFL coach; abysmal failure. Check that record.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
The way I remember it, Rhule took a 7-6 Cactus Bowl winning team to 1-11 in a single season. Absolutely horrific how him taking a dive to rock bottom is still praised and admired by so many here. **** Matt Rhule!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
IowaBear
I see you managed to leave out the part about taking over a team fresh off a monster scandal with a roster of like 50 kids who should have been playing for Eastern Michigan and nowhere near a P5 program.
I'm sure you're more impressed by Dave's 3 losing seasons in 4 years.
CorsicanaBear
The talent on the team in Rhule's first season was certainly not good but it was not as bad as the record showed. He was trying to make a statement and did so at the expense of fans. It was not necessary to achieve the team/school goals, only Matty's.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Stranger
CorsicanaBear said:

The talent on the team in Rhule's first season was certainly not good but it was not as bad as the record showed. He was trying to make a statement and did so at the expense of fans. It was not necessary to achieve the team/school goals, only Matty's.

I don't hate the poor little ******* but I wouldn't trust him any further than I could throw Mac Rhoads. Rhule's stench still permeates this place.
CaliBear00
I'll never grasp the Matt Rhule hate. He's unquestionably a great college coach. Why was he disliked, because we weren't putting up over 50 points a game? I'd take Coach Rhule back in a heartbeat. Winning seems exciting to me.

He came to this dumpster fire of a program mired in one of the most horrific scandals in the history of college sports and resurrected it. I'm forever grateful.
Stranger
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

The way I remember it, Rhule took a 7-6 Cactus Bowl winning team to 1-11 in a single season. Absolutely horrific how him taking a dive to rock bottom is still praised and admired by so many here. **** Matt Rhule!

. . . and the horse he rode in on . not to mention yellow hats and uniforms. Will Rogers never met little Matty
Stranger
CaliBear00 said:

I'll never grasp the Matt Rhule hate. He's unquestionably a great college coach. Why was he disliked, because we weren't putting up over 50 points a game? I'd take Coach Rhule back in a heartbeat. Winning seems exciting to me.

He came to this dumpster fire of a program mired in one of the most horrific scandals in the history of college sports and resurrected it. I'm forever grateful.

like our current administration, some loyalty is misguided. a crook is a crook. he has never returned your blind loyalty to anyone at Baylor.
Mitch Blood Green
I hated that Rhule would do things like "Oklahoma Drill" before the game. It told me he cared more about his career than player safety.
BellCountyBear
fredbear said:

Hate is strong language. I don't hate him. I do recognize that he has no loyalty to anyone beyond himself and money. That he could not recruit because he was always looking at the help wanted ads in the nfl classifieds. That he used religious speak about calling to the kids at Bu and the Bu mission, then jumped on the first NFL ship that would have him. And that he was not a very good NFL coach; abysmal failure. Check that record.
Like I said..."The guy knows how to build a successful college program, unlike Yoda."
jikespingleton
IowaBear said:

I see you managed to leave out the part about taking over a team fresh off a monster scandal with a roster of like 50 kids who should have been playing for Eastern Michigan and nowhere near a P5 program.
That's what the anti-Rhule crowd does. They leave out facts and context. The Rhule takes I've seen on this forum are so ignorant that they can only be trolling, or pure butt-hurt because he bounced so quick.

It would be like saying Briles sucked because he was 8-16 overall and 3-13 in conference after his first two years, but glossing over the fact that he stepped into probably the worst P5 program out there.
TenBears
Great great coach. We were lucky to have him.
bear2be2
Bearmanly said:

IowaBear said:

Yeah. Weird how Rhule brought Baylor a B12 Championship, NY6 victory, and the best season in history - and people still hate him. So weird... HEY WAIT A SEC....
He laid the foundation for those things. Unfortunately, that foundation no longer exists.
bear2be2
CorsicanaBear said:

The only thing I'm hating on Matty over and that's the first season and the loss to Liberty. There was no reason for that. We could have won some of those games, but he was trying to send a message. That kind of thing pisses me off.
That's how Matt Rhule builds programs. Fans can be frustrated by it, but they can't argue whether or not it works.

Rhule rebuilds from the ground up in Year 1, so that he can get to where he wants to be in Years 2, 3 and beyond (if he stays long enough to see it).

People mocked "the process," but his process is undefeated as a college coach. The guy is a phenomenal college football coach. I just wish we could have kept him longer.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

Briles loyalists refuse to believe that he did anything wrong or that the scandal was even real, which forces them to ignore the reality of the situation Rhule inherited.

The rebuild job Rhule did is respected by literally everyone except for the #CAB crowd.

The fact of the matter is the guy did an absolutely phenomenal job of rebuilding Baylor's name and image in a remarkably short period of time. It's just a shame Dave couldn't do a better job of building off the foundation Rhule left him.
Killing Floor
He's a very good coach and talented athletes want to play for him. And he chases stars, can't blame a guy for taking an NFL job. Waco ain't his hometown.
Let’s Go!
Fre3dombear
Dave Aranda is loyal
Yogi
Loyalty is great but you still hire to get the job done.

You certainly don't pay someone $5MM per year for loyalty.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
bear2be2
Fre3dombear said:

Dave Aranda is loyal
I like that Aranda is loyal, but you've got to win games for that to matter.

There are lot of things off the field and in the culture department that I like about Dave Aranda. But his job is win football games. If he can't do that part of his job, the other stuff simply doesn't matter.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
bear2be2 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

That's how Matt Rhule builds programs. Fans can be frustrated by it, but they can't argue whether or not it works.

Rhule rebuilds from the ground up in Year 1, so that he can get to where he wants to be in Years 2, 3 and beyond (if he stays long enough to see it).

People mocked "the process," but his process is undefeated as a college coach. The guy is a phenomenal college football coach. I just wish we could have kept him longer.
Matt Rhule is the feces of the species. He does not give a rat's ass about Baylor. Never did. We were just a stepping stone. He is Frank Solich 2.0. Nebraska fans have just not figured that out yet.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
PartyBear
bear2be2 said:

Fre3dombear said:

Dave Aranda is loyal

There are lot of things off the field and in the culture department that I like about Dave Aranda. But his job is win football games. If he can't do that part of his job, the other stuff simply doesn't matter.

Do you understand this is the exact opposite of your anti Briles arguments over the years. That the other stuff doesn't matter and that it is only winning that matters when it comes to Aranda.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

Fre3dombear said:

Dave Aranda is loyal

Do you understand this is the exact opposite of your anti Briles arguments over the years. That the other stuff doesn't matter and that it is only winning that matters when it comes to Aranda.
My opinions aren't conflicting at all because running a disciplined program with integrity and winning aren't in any way, shape or form mutually exclusive. Both Briles and Aranda did one without the other. Rhule did both. I want someone capable of doing both.
Bearmanly
IowaBear said:

So you think Dip****Dave is a better coach?? Boy that's the hottest of hot takes.
Dave didn't do **** that season. That was a players lead team.

That's not what I said. Just poking more holes in your swiss cheese vendetta against Aranda. Besides, why would I compare Rhule to a National Championship winning coach who was universally respected by your "team leaders"?
IowaBear
National championship winning coach was head coach Ed O. Don't kid yourself any of us could have coached the LSU D that season and they would have went undefeated.
I have no vendetta against Aranda other than he sucks as a HC. Something that's been proven. Something you apparently choose to ignore.
Alf
I don't much care for either one. Rhule is a carper bagger, Aranda is a hippie guru.
Killing Floor
What have they not figured out? Huskers haven't had a winning record since 2016. You think the players, staff, students, alumni, boosters care about whether or not Rhule's heart is in Nebraska? Have you been to Nebraska? Lincoln is like Waco outside the Balylor Bubble but freezing cold and surrounded by corn and strangely 20 miles off the highway.
Matt Rhule might not love and respect Nebraska.
But he'll establish a winning culture and they will win a bowl and maybe more.
If he leaves and they replace him with a feckless buffoon that's their problem. That's what we did.

Are you mad that Rhule went after his lifelong dream to coach at the highest level of sport?
Or are you mad at Matt Rhule because WE replaced him with Dave Aranda?
Let’s Go!
Bearmanly
IowaBear said:

National championship winning coach was head coach Ed O. Don't kid yourself any of us could have coached the LSU D that season and they would have went undefeated.
I have no vendetta against Aranda other than he sucks as a HC. Something that's been proven. Something you apparently choose to ignore.

You took the bait. Do head coaches get credit for their championships or not?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.