Matt Rhule

7,490 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by D. C. Bear
Porteroso
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rhule gets hate because of the lies and double speak. And jumping ship like he did. He got hate in Carolina for the same thing, plus losing. I guess they wanted him gone, was the big difference, but from year 1, he was lying in press conferences to protect his own butt.

I think even the Rhule haters wish he was still here, at least a bit. I disliked him, but man, his successor makes him look like a coaching genius.
Daveisabovereproach
Porteroso said:

Rhule gets hate because of the lies and double speak. And jumping ship like he did. He got hate in Carolina for the same thing, plus losing. I guess they wanted him gone, was the big difference, but from year 1, he was lying in press conferences to protect his own butt.

I think even the Rhule haters wish he was still here, at least a bit. I disliked him, but man, his successor makes him look like a coaching genius.

That's where I'm at. Rhule to me came across too much like a used car salesman that had two days left that month to meet his quota, and he would tell you just about anything you wanted to hear. I think he recruited well initially but eventually put less effort into it when he realized that he had a great shot at an NFL gig. However, he definitely brought energy and toughness to the program. Always felt like the guys played harder for him than they have ever done for Dave except for maybe 2021
jikespingleton
Stranger said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Stranger said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Pecos 45 said:

Grant Teaff lost to San Jose State so what's your point?
A week after the Liberty loss, Matt Rhule lost to UTSA. At home. But don't forget, - "Trust the process!"

Boy hidy, does any real fan miss little Matty?
You should stick to complaining about the destruction of the alumni center because you obviously know little about improvement made by Rhule in his three years here.

Quote:

Matt Rhule is in his third season as Baylor head coach in 2019. After leading the Bears to 11 wins, a No. 7 national ranking and their first berth in the Big 12 Championship, Rhule was voted the Chuck Neinas Coach of the Year by his peers.

Additionally, Rhule guided Baylor to its second-ever Sugar Bowl appearance and the 25th bowl berth in program history. Under his leadership, the Bears became the first Power 5 program to go from 11 losses to 11 wins within two seasons.

so he left for more money, right? and how did that gig work out? did he get fired there? oh well, what did he care cause he got paid well.
The butthurt is strong in that one
morethanhecouldbear
It's odd that Briles, with his lack of leadership and continually taking risks on shady dudes helped crater the program, but the guy who comes to fix it gets so much flak on here.

Who knows the coaches better - keyboard warriors or the players?

"(Clay) Johnston's face lit up when he talked about messing around with his former coaches in Indy. Those bonds are strong. There is a lot of love. "Those guys are just so genuine and real," Johnston explained.

"Our first year we went 1-11 and people were questioning if we should be having these tougher practices or whatever, but once the whole team bought in, that's why we were so good this year," Lynch said. "Everyone was on the same page. We became that family."

https://www.panthers.com/news/james-lynch-clay-johnston-baylor-combine-matt-rhule-phil-snow

Matt Rhule hadn't been in James Lynch's house an hour and the new Baylor coach was telling Lynch his career aspirations.
They did not include growing old in Waco, Texas.
Rhule had just taken over the Bears' program from interim coach Jim Grobe, and Lynch had just had his scholarship offer rescinded from Southern Cal. Rhule cut to the chase during his first in-home recruiting visit as Baylor's coach.
"One of things he told me, he's like, 'I want to one day be an NFL head coach. And I'm telling you that now because I want to be straight-up honest with you in what I want. And I want you to be in the NFL,'" Lynch said.
"And that meant a lot to me. Because a lot of times in college I mean, I'd just had my offer pulled from USC so there's a lot of shady stuff that happens. So for him to tell me straight-up honestly what he wanted, it gave me a little sense of trust with him that he's gonna be a straight shooter with me and tell me what he wants and what's gonna happen."

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/1730535/2020/04/07/could-history-repeat-with-baylor-dl-james-lynch-and-matt-rhule-in-charlotte/
TeamPlayer
Good post. This board views appreciation for Briles and Rhule as mutually exclusive. It's absurd.
morethanhecouldbear
TeamPlayer said:

Good post. This board views appreciation for Briles and Rhule as mutually exclusive. It's absurd.
It really is absurd.

Rhule gets slighted so much on this board, its like he was the guy who scapegoated and fired Briles.
Pecos 45
Agreed.
Pecos 45
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Pecos 45 said:

Grant Teaff lost to San Jose State so what's your point?
A week after the Liberty loss, Matt Rhule lost to UTSA. At home. But don't forget, - "Trust the process!"
All coaches have a game where things don't go right, bad luck or your players really stink it up on that particular day. Sometimes sh*t just happens.
Even Nick Saban had a bad day on a FG attempt (just ask Auburn)
Football doesn't always follow a formula.
Stranger
Porteroso said:

I, personally, do not miss that little weasel
morethanhecouldbear
CorsicanaBear said:

The only thing I'm hating on Matty over and that's the first season and the loss to Liberty. There was no reason for that. We could have won some of those games, but he was trying to send a message. That kind of thing pisses me off.
The end result (11 win season, CCG appearance) proved the path to get there was correct.

The message needed to be sent, received and accepted. Buy into the coaching staff and what they were trying to do and the team will find success. That's exactly what happened. Team bought in and they had a ton of success.

If there are any college coaches in here who turned around a program and took them to +10 wins and disagree with my opinion, please give us your take.
Bear8084
morethanhecouldbear said:

It's odd that Briles, with his lack of leadership and continually taking risks on shady dudes helped crater the program, but the guy who comes to fix it gets so much flak on here.

Who knows the coaches better - keyboard warriors or the players?

"(Clay) Johnston's face lit up when he talked about messing around with his former coaches in Indy. Those bonds are strong. There is a lot of love. "Those guys are just so genuine and real," Johnston explained.

"Our first year we went 1-11 and people were questioning if we should be having these tougher practices or whatever, but once the whole team bought in, that's why we were so good this year," Lynch said. "Everyone was on the same page. We became that family."

https://www.panthers.com/news/james-lynch-clay-johnston-baylor-combine-matt-rhule-phil-snow

Matt Rhule hadn't been in James Lynch's house an hour and the new Baylor coach was telling Lynch his career aspirations.
They did not include growing old in Waco, Texas.
Rhule had just taken over the Bears' program from interim coach Jim Grobe, and Lynch had just had his scholarship offer rescinded from Southern Cal. Rhule cut to the chase during his first in-home recruiting visit as Baylor's coach.
"One of things he told me, he's like, 'I want to one day be an NFL head coach. And I'm telling you that now because I want to be straight-up honest with you in what I want. And I want you to be in the NFL,'" Lynch said.
"And that meant a lot to me. Because a lot of times in college I mean, I'd just had my offer pulled from USC so there's a lot of shady stuff that happens. So for him to tell me straight-up honestly what he wanted, it gave me a little sense of trust with him that he's gonna be a straight shooter with me and tell me what he wants and what's gonna happen."

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/1730535/2020/04/07/could-history-repeat-with-baylor-dl-james-lynch-and-matt-rhule-in-charlotte/

Great post and insight.
jikespingleton
It's early in the season, so I don't know how good Nebraska's next 4 opponents are (Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, Indiana).

Based on my non-researched perception of those teams, I think Nebraska will likely be 6-1 or even 7-0 going into the Ohio State game.
CaliBear00
There was literally no recruiting class left when Rhule got here, remember? He was resorting to signing any left out three star players that would normally be red shirted to develop and pressed them into action right away. The fact that Baylor won any games that season is a miracle.
Aliceinbubbleland
Ilinois appears to be competitive. Maybe Rutgers. The others not so much and Nebraska should beat those "others". I hope they win them all but I think they may be unrealistic.
D. C. Bear
CaliBear00 said:

There was literally no recruiting class left when Rhule got here, remember? He was resorting to signing any left out three star players that would normally be red shirted to develop and pressed them into action right away. The fact that Baylor won any games that season is a miracle.

Not really.
FLBear5630
IowaBear said:

So you think Dip****Dave is a better coach?? Boy that's the hottest of hot takes.
Dave didn't do **** that season. That was a players lead team.

Dave deserves crap for his bad seasons, but he deserves credit for the Sugar Bowl season. Crap outweighs good right now, but there is good.
CaliBear00
You're joking right? A close game against Oklahoma that season doesn't change the fact that Baylor was one of the worst teams in the country.
D. C. Bear
CaliBear00 said:

You're joking right? A close game against Oklahoma that season doesn't change the fact that Baylor was one of the worst teams in the country.

Who said anything about Oklahoma? Beating Liberty, UTSA and Kansas wouldn't have been a "miracle" at all. That team underperformed its talent.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.