Football
Sponsored by

Matt Rhule on why he believes in @BUFootball & why fans should too.

9,978 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CHP Bear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Stranger
Rhule has four million reasons to believe in Baylor football.
I'm a Bearbacker
BearInBigD
And all our trophies will be in Heaven and not here on earth. Yay!!!
Stranger
Did he just quote Joe Paterno . . . again?
I'm a Bearbacker
bosquebear2012
Stranger said:

Did he just quote Joe Paterno . . . again?
I was thinking the same thing!! haha
Jacques Strap
I really like CMR. I wish he ran the spread because it was so much fun to watch but I hope he finds success with his style. I know he is here to win games but he seems like a good guy and you can't say that about all college coaches.
boognish_bear
I've been disappointed and critical of this staff...especially over Liberty and UTSA....but he makes great points here imo of why we need to stand behind these kids and not let the
kids feel our frustrations and disappointment in how this season has started.

They have been run through a buzzsaw like very few teams ever have with 3 HCs in 3 years and being painted as rapists and thugs. I'm sure it's been hell on those kids. Wish the best for them.
PartyBear
We all stand by the kids what people are upset about is he and his staff are coaching them out of their potential. A lot of these kids were part of championships here. They know they are good. They know they are better than they have been allowed to be. The coaches need to stand with our kids and stop trying to force square pegs into round holes. Coach to their strengths.
Big_Pumpin
PartyBear said:

We all stand by the kids what people are upset about is he and his staff are coaching them out of their potential. A lot of these kids were part of championships here. They know they are good. They know they are better than they have been allowed to be. The coaches need to stand with our kids and stop trying to force square pegs into round holes. Coach to their strengths.

Do you think the players have your back or the coaches back? If you have the players back and players have the coaches back then maybe you should reconsider your position.
PartyBear
The players had Steele's back they had Morriss' back they had Briles' back. Coaches get fired if they mess up. Right?

I believe in the kids for free btw.
Sip 'em Beers
Matt Rhule believes in BU football like his $4m per yr job depends on it.
Big_Pumpin
PartyBear said:

The players had Steele's back they had Morriss' back they had Briles' back. Coaches get fired if they mess up. Right?

Yessir. If he goes 0fer the next 2 seasons he should be let go. I just think it's silly to be at that point already. I ain't a good start but I still CMR can get it done. I have a 3yr plan in my mind.

This years is players learn the coaches and system and coaches learn their players.

Next year is make a bowl.

Year 3 is have a legitimate shot a the conference title.

That's where I am. I don't think it's obvious yet that those things can't happen. When it becomes obvious I will support change
MilliVanilli
Actually, I have it on good authority by former players that they quit on Morriss after he essentially quit on them in 07.
PartyBear
Big_Pumpin said:

PartyBear said:

Yessir. If he goes 0fer the next 2 seasons he should be let go. I just think it's silly to be at that point already. I ain't a good start but I still CMR can get it done. I have a 3yr plan in my mind.

This years is players learn the coaches and system and coaches learn their players.

That's where I am. I don't think it's obvious yet that those things can't happen. When it becomes obvious I will support change

Your standards are pretty low if anything better than 0-24 to start out doesn't get you fired. Steele would have loved having you around back in the day.

Serious question do you really see us going from 0-12 to a bowl in year 2? To conference title in year 3?
Boatshoes
Big_Pumpin said:

If there was any way to actually collect, I'd bet anyone on here $500 that we won't be bowl eligible in 2018 and $1000 that we won't be contending for a conference title in 2019.

...and it's a bit ridiculous that this board is so tone deaf that they would hire a Paterno disciple in the middle of this PR clown show. Maybe they're Catholic and are philosophically more inclined to excuse gay pedophiles than consenting adult fornicators.
PartyBear
Applemac_G4 said:

Big_Pumpin said:

If there was any way to actually collect, I'd bet anyone on here $500 that we won't be bowl eligible in 2018 and $1000 that we won't be contending for a conference title in 2019.

...and it's a bit ridiculous that this board is so tone deaf that they would hire a Paterno disciple in the middle of this PR clown show. Maybe they're Catholic and are philosophically more inclined to excuse gay pedophiles than consenting adult fornicators.

Be careful with this wager. I realized he didn't specify a P5 championshionship.
RealLarryDon
I have no doubt Matt Rhule is a good man with a good heart. However, I'm starting to fear he is more a motivational speaker than an actual X's and O's coach.
Krieg
I'm glad our players have good character, I really am.

Who recruited these players and played with them that made it necessary to create a new foundation, though? I forgot...

You can't have it both ways. It doesn't make sense. Besides, they've already won a ton of games and somehow aren't when the only real change from last year is the coaching and the strategy.

Losing doesn't build character. Trying your hardest to win builds character, and that's what their coaches aren't doing. They may be doing what they think will help their own careers in years 3-10, but they're screwing the current players by throwing away one of their seasons for no good reason.

Also, shut up about sleeping in your office. It makes you look desperate for praise. Besides, Waco isn't very big so you could easily drive home in 20 minutes or less. We all know that little detail he's thrown out twice now is staged, and then he tops it all off by quoting Paterno!

The irony of all of this is he seems to believe the company line on the old staff hook, line, and sinker but clearly worships Paterno. I don't get it.

Support your players by putting them in the best position for winning games. Otherwise, go back to the northeast.
YoakDaddy
An old dairy farmer once told me that if one drop of cow shlt gets in the milk, it's still shltty milk.
boognish_bear
PartyBear
I hate to say it but the line about sleeping in the office sounds almost exactly like something Steele would have said.....but in year 2 or 3.
Pale Rider
KK you seem to have become quite bitter in your old age.

Much love brother.
57Bear
Krieg said:

I'm glad our players have good character, I really am.

Who recruited these players and played with them that made it necessary to create a new foundation, though? I forgot...

You can't have it both ways. It doesn't make sense. Besides, they've already won a ton of games and somehow aren't when the only real change from last year is the coaching and the strategy.

Losing doesn't build character. Trying your hardest to win builds character, and that's what their coaches aren't doing. They may be doing what they think will help their own careers in years 3-10, but they're screwing the current players by throwing away one of their seasons for no good reason.

Also, shut up about sleeping in your office. It makes you look desperate for praise. Besides, Waco isn't very big so you could easily drive home in 20 minutes or less. We all know that little detail he's thrown out twice now is staged, and then he tops it all off by quoting Paterno!

The irony of all of this is he seems to believe the company line on the old staff hook, line, and sinker but clearly worships Paterno. I don't get it.

Support your players by putting them in the best position for winning games. Otherwise, go back to the northeast.
Is part of the coaching problem that the HC has a lucrative SEVEN year contract with no apparent downside for fielding a poor product?
Krieg
Pale Rider said:

KK you seem to have become quite bitter in your old age.

Much love brother.

Oh I'm not actually bitter, I just am losing all respect for this guy and I really hate dishonesty and hypocrisy, two things he's flirting with more and more. I'm also tired of excuses and internal improvements.

Beating the first two opponents was easy. He didn't do it, and he made excuses after saying he wouldn't. He said he'd run a HUNH and a pro style mix, but hasn't. He said his team would be more disciplined and less penalized, but it's not. He said he'd have a great defense, but it's somehow worse. He said his offense would have more time of possession, but it has less which frankly shouldn't be possible with the snail's pace they call plays.

Now he wants a cookie for sleeping at the office instead of driving 18 minutes to his house (I checked, that time is legit) to be with his wife and 2 young kids that he acts like mean the world to him, and he goes out of his way to tell every reporter in earshot that he slept there like it's some sort of accomplishment.

Heck, go read Matthew 6 coach and stop bragging about your publicity stunt just like you do your team's community service hours.

Bitter? No. Mad at a guy that seems to work on his dog and pony show more than his game plan that I paid good money to endure? Yes. Our players deserve better, but now he calls out the fans and how they should support the team. He lost to Liberty and UTSA with plenty of fan support but far too little coaching support. Keep blaming everyone else, though, eventually someone will believe it.
YoakDaddy
And the choir shouted "Amen!"
Quinton
About the only thing Mili has been right about here; but in this case he is correct on Morriss. I've probably talked to many of the same players about this.
Pale Rider
Gave you a star K. Appreciate the honest response.
Krieg
Pale Rider said:

Gave you a star K. Appreciate the honest response.

Back at ya!

I think Rhule CAN succeed here, and I think he can make the right people happy with his personality and the persona he's trying to build, assuming he can win. I'm afraid he only has to win 7-8 games a year to coach here until he retires, but that's another topic.

I'd rather have a guy that wins 1st and politics 2nd, though, and I don't think anyone can run the offense he's attempting in our conference and win. That bothers me from a long-term coaching perspective. I'm afraid he's too stubborn to change his strategy quickly, but nobody knows that yet with certainty. I'm also afraid he won't get fired with even a small improvement, thus compounding the issue.

But that's mostly just theoretical speculating. What I know right now for sure is that we're 0-3 against really bad competition, and that shouldn't ever happen. Long term is great, but short term is now. I'd like something to eat now so we all actually make it to the party he's planning on throwing someday.
ccbear
PartyBear said:

Well, actually, not a lot of these kids were part of championships here. I thought that, too. However, only 2-3 starters from last year's bowl game were starters last week. Between departures (draft and retirements) and injuries, much of the starting talent that was here is gone. Yes, still lots of experience but not many who contributed on championship teams. Like in most sports, veteran talent almost always trumps coaching.
Gust Avrakotos
I just want to win games....I don't want to hear about all of the reasons that we should win.

When the guy came to Houston and didn't want to discuss one ounce of football...we all should have known.

Shame on us....and shame on Mack Rhodes.
HuMcK
Krieg said:

What I know right now for sure is that we're 0-3 against really bad competition, and that shouldn't ever happen.

I would disagree with this part a little bit. Look at UTSA's schedule this year, they are probably a top 35ish team and have an outside shot at finishing undefeated now. Duke probably deserves to be top 25 (especially if they take care of business against UNC next week), and they absolutely nailed a Northwestern team that I though 2 weeks ago was light years better than us. Even Liberty (whatever classification they are this year) should be favored in all of the rest of their games, plus that game had its own extenuating circumstances with injuries in the secondary. What I'm saying is, yeah this team isn't top tier by any stretch of the imagination right now and I would prefer W's over L's, but they haven't been losing to "bad competition". People get so caught up with P5 vs G5 and the names on the front of jerseys that they sometimes don't recognize good teams when they see them. I think Duke and UTSA are actually pretty good teams this year, and Liberty isn't what I would call "bad" either.
Guy Noir
Jacques Strap said:

I really like CMR. I wish he ran the spread because it was so much fun to watch but I hope he finds success with his style. I know he is here to win games but he seems like a good guy and you can't say that about all college coaches.
i agree. I just do not foresee Baylor being able to recruit the talent needed to overpower Texas and Oklahoma or some of the othe Big 12 Schools. I guess we will see if a Big 10 offense can work in the Big 12.
Pale Rider
Guy Noir said:

Jacques Strap said:

i agree. I just do not foresee Baylor being able to recruit the talent needed to overpower Texas and Oklahoma or some of the othe Big 12 Schools. I guess we will see if a Big 10 offense can work in the Big 12.

We won't and it won't. Period.
Aberzombie1892
ccbear said:

PartyBear said:

Well, actually, not a lot of these kids were part of championships here. I thought that, too. However, only 2-3 starters from last year's bowl game were starters last week. Between departures (draft and retirements) and injuries, much of the starting talent that was here is gone. Yes, still lots of experience but not many who contributed on championship teams. Like in most sports, veteran talent almost always trumps coaching.
This. This team was going to be notably worse than the 2016 6 regular season win team regardless as to who was coaching it.
YoakDaddy
Pale Rider said:

Guy Noir said:

Jacques Strap said:

We won't and it won't. Period.

Yes. Mack Brown, Chollie Strong, and Gary Patterson tried it in this conference and failed. Patterson was the only one to switch and he's still around.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.