Football
Sponsored by

The major factor that could cost Rhule his job in 2017

7,383 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Stan Mikita
Gust Avrakotos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
timetraveler said:

I think the decision that Rhule is gone has already been made. He obviously isn't going to win. The only question now is how soon.
Please tell me that you have connections and actually know something.
granite
given time, i believe cmr will make us a winner again. while he wasn't my first choice, or even on my radar, i believe he deserves 3 years unless next season shows no improvement. we don't want to get in a cycle of perpetual coaching turnover. coaching changes almost always set a team back a couple of years, unless it is from within or exact same systems. great teams benefit from stability and continuity of systems, just go look at the successful coaches around college football. i hope cmr gets it done, and that the powers that be don't blow it up again before it is time.
Gust Avrakotos
Yeah, Lincoln Riley and Jeff Brohm are living proof.

I am so freaking tired of this "coaching changes set a program back 5yrs" bull***** Bono started that crap years ago and then his brother Gary Goodies carried it forward. It is a load of absolute crap that coaching changes set a program back. You either hire a coach that can coach and win or you don't.

WAC
RioRata
WAC_K_O BEAR said:

I am so freaking tired of this "coaching changes set a program back 5yrs" bull***** Bono started that crap years ago and then his brother Gary Goodies carried it forward. It is a load of absolute crap that coaching changes set a program back. You either hire a coach that can coach and win or you don't.

WAC

Agreed. Les Miles, CABs polar opposite, would have curb stomped Liberty and UTSA plus brought home a victory over Duke.
Gust Avrakotos
I'd kill for freaking Les Miles right now.
granite
WAC_K_O BEAR said:

WAC
Lincoln Riley was promoted from within, so he isn't a good argument. as for Brohm, he is doing a great job at Purdue and deserves credit. I agree with you to a certain extent about good coaches but even CAB struggled his first couple of seasons at BU (4-8 each year), so it isn't total bull***** The reason I believe we are having such a hard time this year is that we totally changed systems. that **** is not easy to learn and football is a game that has to be executed and played fast to be successful. Our guys have not learned the new system well enough to just trust their reads and play. I can certainly see it during the games, there is just to much thinking taking place and a ton of bad decision/reads.

CMR can coach, he has a record proving it. Can that success be continued at BU in the Big12, i certainly hope so. Do i think we would have had more immediate success had we hired Monty, yes i do, but that ship has sailed. Do i think CMR should have a job this time next year if we are 0-5, hell no, but I think that firing him too soon will continue the self-inflicted damage we are so accustomed to the past few years. A full year in the system should lead to a much improved team next year and a very competitive winner by year 3.....if not by then fire him and start over. Just know, the process starts again, and that's not bull****
GhettoHEBear
timetraveler said:

tommie said:

Tommy_Lou_Ramsower said:

Forget about the record. Assume we are 0-12 when the clock hits 00:00 in Fort Worth. Coach Rhule could be gone at the end of this year if we see a major exodus of transferring players. Talent does not like to lose or get beat up unnecessarily. Call it the "Barry Sanders Phenomenon."

Rhule is not losing his job. The ONLY way Rhule isn't here next year is if he chooses to leave.

Rhule will be gone before game 7 of next season.
Not happening
possible12
timetraveler said:

Pale Rider said:

timetraveler said:

I think the decision that Rhule is gone has already been made. He obviously isn't going to win. The only question now is how soon.

This thought is delusional. Come back to earth timetraveler.
Rhule will be here for the next three years at least. Regardless.
Might as well accept it.
We just fired our best coach in history, bought out his contract, and then wrote him a letter that he didn't do anything wrong. You think getting rid of a bad coach is out of reach?
Yes, it is out of reach

Baylor is not firing Rhule for just losing games. Not this quickly. They made this decision,and they're gonna have to live with it awhile. And this "blue blood" money bs. It's apples and oranges. Won't continue to pay "blue blood" money. They can't and they shouldn't.

Remember, they will still have to hire someone else with a buyout, etc. People are pissed, but we're stuck for awhile. Thank goodness we have message board rant avenues.
dallas4bears
timetraveler said:

Pale Rider said:

timetraveler said:

This thought is delusional. Come back to earth timetraveler.
Rhule will be here for the next three years at least. Regardless.
Might as well accept it.
We just fired our best coach in history, bought out his contract, and then wrote him a letter that he didn't do anything wrong. You think getting rid of a bad coach is out of reach?

Well, yeah. There is that.
EvilTroyAndAbed
timetraveler said:

Source please.
marco
PartyBear said:

80sBEAR said:

Rhule will be here four years whether he wins a game or not. The leadership is pleased as can be with the direction of Baylor Football and they really don't give a damn what us little people think. They have made that very clear. That is just the way things are and there is really not anything we can do about it.

They are completely incompetent. But I don't believe this conspiracy theory despite it being easy to believe. It is agains their interest to be bad. Especially when we have a football budget almost as big as Texas' and bigger now than LSU's, and OU's. They aren't doing all this to hardly win any games. Hence why I think Rhule is not as safe right now as some assume.
How much difference do you really think there is financially? BU gets its share of the BXII contract regardless. Stadium receipts for 5 or 6 home games a year don't change that much whether we're winning or losing.
RioRata
WAC_K_O BEAR said:

So would LSU fans.
GhettoHEBear
RioRata said:

WAC_K_O BEAR said:

So would LSU fans.
Haha, they deserve every bit of this for firing a coach who averaged 10 wins a season. Who would do something so dumb?

Wait.....
Dungeon Athletics
PartyBear said:

Again just remember the Regents will throws anyone under the bus who makes them look bad. Their image is what is important. They will pay anything to fix that. Rhule is starting to make them look bad making. All the issues of their competence is coming up again and Rhule is causing that. He is getting in their way. They need a winner to make them look good.

Agreed, but if they fire him they'll be admitting they made a mistake. I wouldn't hold my breath.
GruntTuff
Some idiot above posted that Rhule would be here 4 years even if he didn't win a game! LOL. Even the bumbling idiots on our BOR would have his hide before then. Well....now that I think of it....maybe not.

Can you imagine 0-24? Seriously, give that some thought. We're 0-24 after 2 years......then 0-36 after three....and he gets a fourth year???????

I don't think that will happen. I think he'll average 3-4 wins for 4 years....maybe go 6-6 one year. And if he keeps it at 6-6 for years 5-7, they'll probably give him an extension.

But seriously, 0-36 and he gets year four?

Who said that?
GruntTuff
Ok....I looked back and it's 80's Bear who said that. I take it back. He was making an understandable overstatement. I think the BOR/AD will keep him if he gets anywhere above Bill Beall's three wins in three years.
RealLarryDon
Whole lotta trolling or wishful thinking going on in this thread (and apparently not many finance or accounting majors represented).
MilliVanilli
RealLarryDon said:

Whole lotta trolling or wishful thinking going on in this thread (and apparently not many finance or accounting majors represented).
Most of these people are Cab t-shirt fans, it would be an extreme embarrassment if they actually held a degree, especially from Baylor.
57Bear
Who would the BOI can first - the AD or the HC?
Malbec
57Bear said:

They have the AD can the coach. Then can the AD. Crack a book!
RioRata
57Bear said:

AD would go first. Gives the new guy the opportunity to choose his football guy.
PartyBear
57Bear said:

Actually this would be Livingstone's call. But I bet she is hearing from BMDs and Regents about how none of what is happening of the field is helping anything. We will only move on if we are winning. That is the actual key to moving on. I can assure you if we were sitting at 4-1 right now as we should be. The Briles era and who did what to end it would be complete past and we would all be in the now.
Boatshoes
marco said:

[? BU gets its share of the BXII contract regardless.

Well, for another eight years. Isn't it interesting that Rhule's contract takes us to the brink of re-alignment. Think he can arrange a soft landing for the program in the AAC?
Pale Rider
Applemac_G4 said:

marco said:

Well, for another eight years. Isn't it interesting that Rhule's contract takes us to the brink of re-alignment. Think he can arrange a soft landing for the program in the AAC?

CUSA.
Most likely.
RioRata
Applemac_G4 said:

marco said:

Ain't happenin'. Cougar High and SMU will cock block any attempt we make to join the AAC. Our best bet would be to partner up with BYU and join Boise in the MWC.
Golden Helmet
Seems like 365 is no better at regulating dumb dumb posters on their board.
marco
As long as we end up in the same conference as TCU I'll be happy. I could spend eternity lapping up Toad tears.
FWBear
The merger. Like swimming in *****
“When they are wrong, what makes them wrong is that they lead to violations of the duties I have described in earlier chapters.”
– Jason Brennan
possible12
ilbb990912 said:

timetraveler said:

tommie said:

Tommy_Lou_Ramsower said:

Forget about the record. Assume we are 0-12 when the clock hits 00:00 in Fort Worth. Coach Rhule could be gone at the end of this year if we see a major exodus of transferring players. Talent does not like to lose or get beat up unnecessarily. Call it the "Barry Sanders Phenomenon."

Rhule is not losing his job. The ONLY way Rhule isn't here next year is if he chooses to leave.

Rhule will be gone before game 7 of next season.
He has a 7 year contract. The team is showing improvement. The staff can recruit. Even the BOR is happy we're taking one on the chin this year to get the program out of the bad publicity spotlight. He ain't goin' anywhere.
Agree with first and last point.
Pastorron
just what is a religious zealot in this context
Pastorron
Remember, Baylor the graveyard for football coaches. Let us not add to the problem. As someone has pointed out the people who make decisions really do not care what I or we think. It hurts to see us so lacking in depth but the coach did not create this situation. Give him time to solve the problem. Then perhaps the 4th quarter will no longer be our downfall. But until then enjoy the first 40 minutes until the legs and arms wear out.
timetraveler
WAC_K_O BEAR said:

timetraveler said:

Please tell me that you have connections and actually know something.
Sorry to disappoint. I think I'm the only one on this site that doesn't eat dinner with the BOR every night
BringBackCAB
Unfortunately this year definitely won't have an impact on Rhules job status. No matter how obvious that he isn't up to this.
MilliVanilli
I gotta hand it to you drama queens, you have really learned how to write some sensational click bait thread headlines.
possible12
PartyBear said:

57Bear said:

Actually this would be Livingstone's call. But I bet she is hearing from BMDs and Regents about how none of what is happening of the field is helping anything. We will only move on if we are winning. That is the actual key to moving on. I can assure you if we were sitting at 4-1 right now as we should be. The Briles era and who did what to end it would be complete past and we would all be in the now.
Probably. Odds are strongly against the coach directly following a hero, winning coach (unless a blue blood program). So, Lay low couple years, issue parachute buyout, repeat process, and hope to get back to some 6+ win seasons and everybody's happy (well, not everybody, but there'll be "hope" every year) That's "the process"
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.