Thoughts on the Josh Gordon video

3,582 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Singletary63
OldSchoolBU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Art Briles was a helluva of a football coach but he ran one helluva an amateur program off the field. The buck stops with the head guy.

Quit blaming the university and other parties. We might have completely bungled this crisis but we would have no crisis to completely bungle had it not been for the amateurism of how this staff conducted things off the field.

I'm really only writing this post because I know there are probably national media looking at this message board right now and I don't want them to think every single Baylor fan is a win at all costs, Art Briles got screwed nut job like so many on this board portray.
The past is last! Be a champion today!
D. C. Bear
OldSchoolBU said:

Art Briles was a helluva of a football coach but he ran one helluva an amateur program off the field. The buck stops with the head guy.

Quit blaming the university and other parties. We might have completely bungled this crisis but we would have no crisis to completely bungle had it not been for the amateurism of how this staff conducted things off the field.

I'm really only writing this post because I know there are probably national media looking at this message board right now and I don't want them to think every single Baylor fan is a win at all costs, Art Briles got screwed nut job like so many on this board portray.

The University did not have drug testing of our athletes. That decision was not made by the football coaches. A coach (allegedly) trying to help player avoid a positive test is on the coaches and the player, but the fact that we didn't even have university-based testing is on the University. I don't care that it wasn't technically required, it was the same attitude that administrators had toward sexual assault: "that kind of thing doesn't happen here."

We had a crisis to handle that was beyond football, and the publicity over wrongdoing in the football program revealed that crisis. Let us not pretend that everything was great except for football. Were it not for what you call the "amateurism of how this staff conducted things off the field" we would still have had a crisis to deal with, it just would not have been dealt with. It would have remained hidden.

Accidental emoticon yet again.
OldSchoolBU
D. C. Bear said:

OldSchoolBU said:

The University did not have drug testing of our athletes. That decision was not made by the football coaches. A coach (allegedly) trying to help player avoid a positive test is on the coaches and the player, but the fact that we didn't even have university-based testing is on the University. I don't care that it wasn't technically required, it was the same attitude that administrators had toward sexual assault: "that kind of thing doesn't happen here."

We had a crisis to handle that was beyond football, and the publicity over wrongdoing in the football program revealed that crisis. Let us not pretend that everything was great except for football. Were it not for what you call the "amateurism of how this staff conducted things off the field" we would still have had a crisis to deal with, it just would not have been dealt with. It would have remained hidden.

I don't disagree with anything you said. It was amateur hour from the top to the bottom. I'm okay with people coming to that conclusion. I'm not okay with rational people believing that Briles had no responsibility in the matter. Perhaps that amateurism would have been masked with the right values based coach. Maybe Drew is that way, I don't know. Mulkey seems to be rock solid in that area.

Hopefully, the school learned its lessons and has a more accountable culture going forward.
Ghostrider
You don't think every P5 program does this? You don't think Penn St does this? You don't think Rhule does this?
bear2be2
OldSchoolBU said:

D. C. Bear said:

OldSchoolBU said:

I don't disagree with anything you said. It was amateur hour from the top to the bottom. I'm okay with people coming to that conclusion. I'm not okay with rational people believing that Briles had no responsibility in the matter. Perhaps that amateurism would have been masked with the right values based coach. Maybe Drew is that way, I don't know. Mulkey seems to be rock solid in that area.

Hopefully, the school learned its lessons and has a more accountable culture going forward.
This is where I am as well. I don't have any problem whatsoever with people saying this was a university-wide problem. But to bury your head in the sand and ignore that the football program was a part of that problem -- and likely a large one -- really bothers me.

It's not an either/or situation. It's a both/and situation. And when dealing with cancer, you don't pick the lump you like and argue against all evidence to the contrary that it's not malignant.

I know some would counter with the argument that the regents seem to have done exactly that, and that's probably fair. I, too, am frustrated that that's the one group in this mess that didn't face just accountability. But unlike the football staff, the university administration at least admitted a problem existed and took real, tangible measures to try to fix it.
Chanceux
OldSchoolBU said:

D. C. Bear said:

OldSchoolBU said:

Briles and his boys get all the credit for not likin discipline. High school mentality. But aint the real issue sexual assault and who done what? My issue is that Briles got labeled a monster and enabler even though the guy was workin for a school that had bout zero sense of how to handle this junk. Can't do drug tests. Can't do Title IX. Well hells bells what can they do? Tell girls not to drink and wear short skirts? Give'em the runaround from every outlet like judicial to medical.

The point if I have one is that its hard to look at the whole enchilada and think that the sex scandal part falls at the feet of the football coach. If I trust anybody in athletics its Mulkey. Most honest person on that campus. Tells it like it is. She got emotional and misspoke but she loves that school and the kids. She knew it was a few really bad people doing some really bad things. But Baylor leaders didn't have any sense or guts to set up good protocol for drugs and assault. Too busy waitin on somebody to file charges.
Chanceux
bear2be2 said:

OldSchoolBU said:

D. C. Bear said:

But unlike the football staff, the university administration at least admitted a problem existed and took real, tangible measures to try to fix it.

Sure they did. Just missed the mark by about 30 odd years.
OldSchoolBU
Ghostrider said:

You don't think every P5 program does this? You don't think Penn St does this? You don't think Rhule does this?
no I do not think coaches at every program are giving their players detox drinks. Some may be doing it but the ones that are should be ashamed that they do it. How can these boys ever grow to be men if they are enabled by grown adults? Enabling is for losers.
sswienton
Ghostrider said:

Negative Ghostrider!

When specifically asked about Gordon's comments, he said the team was drug tested before the KSU game and again afterwards.
"If not Baylor, then who..."
No relation to Tilda
Steve Taylor
I blame Ian and his worthless compliance department too. Such a lousy outfit.
D. C. Bear
Ghostrider said:

Depends on what "this" is. If "this" is a coach or player individually skirting the rules because he thinks he can get away with something, yeah, I think it happens everywhere on occasion. It is too easy to rationalize. If "it" is a staff-wide effort to circumvent drug testing, no, I do not think it happens everywhere. No, I do not believe Rhule is doing this, and I couldn't care less whether Penn State is doing it.
Malbec
bear2be2 said:

This is where I am as well. I don't have any problem whatsoever with people saying this was a university-wide problem. But to bury your head in the sand and ignore that the football program was a part of that problem -- and likely a large one -- really bothers me.

It's not an either/or situation. It's a both/and situation. And when dealing with cancer, you don't pick the lump you like and argue against all evidence to the contrary that it's not malignant.

I know some would counter with the argument that the regents seem to have done exactly that, and that's probably fair. I, too, am frustrated that that's the one group in this mess that didn't face just accountability. But unlike the football staff, the university administration at least admitted a problem existed and took real, tangible measures to try to fix it.
And they took tangible measures that involved not allowing the football program to take tangible measures to fix their problem. It's hard to argue that the administration should be lauded for "fixing the problem" and football should be chastised for "not fixing the problem," when it was the administration that chose a path that would prevent giving the football program that opportunity.
80sBEAR
Art Briles had no tolerance for the wacky weed but just loved him some rapists!!! I'm still not buying it. Sorry.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
OldSchoolBU
80sBEAR said:

Art Briles had no tolerance for the wacky weed but just loved him some rapists!!! I'm still not buying it. Sorry.
what? Of course he had tolerance for it. There was a rampant drug problem at Baylor on the football team under his watch. He just wanted to win and coach and he was good in both of those areas. He's no different than probably 3/4 of the power 5 coaches out there in that regard. I will never say he was an evil man. I don't think he ever woke up trying to sweep problems under the rug.

But the standards and accountability that he set for the program were lacking. And that is in large part why we are where we are today.
80sBEAR said:

Art had nothing to do with Josh getting kicked off. Nothing. Those are NCAA-mandated rules. The only way around it for Art is to find a way to subvert the tests, which he clearly did. Josh wouldn't just make this up.

Dave Bliss did the exact same thing with tests. But once a guy is popped, it's out of the coach's hands.

80sBEAR
365 said:

80sBEAR said:

Art had nothing to do with Josh getting kicked off. Nothing. Those are NCAA-mandated rules. The only way around it for Art is to find a way to subvert the tests, which he clearly did. Josh wouldn't just make this up.

Dave Bliss did the exact same thing with tests. But once a guy is popped, it's out of the coach's hands.

How many drug tests did Gordon end up failing in college and the NFL? Wasn't it something like six or seven?
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
MilliVanilli
80sBEAR said:

Lulz, you really do indulgence fantasies of your own creation.

Starr ran off Gordon, I know first hand from players that Briles wanted to keep him, and was going to keep Chafin too after multiple pot offenses, Oakman was briefly suspended over pot issues too.

Tommy_Lou_Ramsower
365 said:

80sBEAR said:

Unfortunately, addicts lie. I can attest to this from my experience in my line of work. I have no idea if Josh Gordon is lying here.
Tommy_Lou_Ramsower said:

365 said:

80sBEAR said:

Unfortunately, addicts lie. I can attest to this from my experience in my line of work. I have no idea if Josh Gordon is lying here.
Yes. I can definitely imagine that certain charming and charismatic people can and have taken advantage of you in your life.

Despite mountains of evidence from multiple, independent sources--many of whom with nothing to gain--pointing towards them being a terrible person, you continue to support them whilst living in denial. Yup. Can definitely see that.

80sBEAR said:

365 said:

80sBEAR said:

How many drug tests did Gordon end up failing in college and the NFL? Wasn't it something like six or seven?
Yup. His longest stint without getting suspended was at Baylor. Wonder how that happened.

Wait. Forgot about the 2010 suspension after being arrested asleep behind the wheel of a car. Art "tough on the wacky stuff" Briles laid the law down with a one-game suspension.
Tommy_Lou_Ramsower
365 said:

Tommy_Lou_Ramsower said:

365 said:

80sBEAR said:

Yes. I can definitely imagine that certain charming and charismatic people can and have taken advantage of you in your life.
Medical profession. And you're blocked.
Ghostrider
Gordon is the typical loser who is trying to blame others for their mistakes.....nothing new. A coach told him to quit smoking weed and take a detox so he may be able to pass a test. That isn't even a story at any other school, but the anti-CAB faction wants to try and smear the past program more....
possible12
bear2be2 said:

OldSchoolBU said:

D. C. Bear said:

OldSchoolBU said:

Nope, not as long as choice is to get kicked out if one admits to drinking, or just let it go.
Grizz Air
On a related note, Johnny Jefferson said he played the entire bowl game against UNC while going through opioid withdrawals. He ran for 399 yards in that game with the kicks. He probably coulda run for 599 had he not been withdrawing.
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
Ghostrider
Grizz Air said:

On a related note, Johnny Jefferson said he played the entire bowl game against UNC while going through opioid withdrawals. He ran for 399 yards in that game with the kicks. He probably coulda run for 599 had he not been withdrawing.
Strange. You'd think Briles would have shot him up with Opioids since CAB is such a dirty SOB
BikerBear
I have heard this kind of crap from my brother for over 30 years. It is everybody's fault but mine. The way I stopped hearing it is that I stopped taking his calls. Some wonderful poster on this board gave me one of my favorite all-time jokes. There are 3 things in life that we can truly be grateful for...
1) Family
2) Friends
3) Caller ID so we can avoid family and friends.

Nobody's Fault But Mine
BearTruth13
80sBEAR said:

After all this time, I don't understand this kind of ignorance. Many football players were using weed during the Briles era. The only players booted were Gordon and Robbie Rhodes. And only after public arrests that could not be covered up.

I never knew Briles to suspend players more than a half or maybe 1 game.

Gordon passed out in a Taco Bell drive through high as a kite, was arrested and rode the bench one game.

Briles and the staff disciplined nobody until 2015 when the Sam U stuff came out and the temperature was turned up. Armstead was suspended at the beginining of 2015 for a potential sexual assault that occurred in 2013. I wonder why. Briles was like "oh **** ESPN is watching me."
Ghostrider
We hav e players on the team now smoking weed. Every team does. Shocker
possible12
BearTruth13 said:

80sBEAR said:

After all this time, I don't understand this kind of ignorance. Many football players were using weed during the Briles era. The only players booted were Gordon and Robbie Rhodes. And only after public arrests that could not be covered up.

Gordon passed out in a Taco Bell drive through high as a kite, was arrested and rode the bench one game.

Briles and the staff disciplined nobody until 2015 when the Sam U stuff came out and the temperature was turned up. Armstead was suspended at the beginining of 2015 for a potential sexual assault that occurred in 2013. I wonder why. Briles was like "oh **** ESPN is watching me."
And naivety raises its head again.
Ghostrider
BearTruth13 said:

80sBEAR said:

So you are saying Briles never had one player suspended for anything between 08 and 15? If I showed you this was false would you leave the board?
BearTruth13
Where did I say there were no suspensions? I said he suspended players for a typical time of 1/2 a game or 1 game if he did suspend them. And they weren't that often.

I do not consider that disciplining players. Sitting one half is nothing.

Ghostrider
BearTruth13 said:

Where did I say there were no suspensions? I said he suspended players for a typical time of 1/2 a game or 1 game if he did suspend them. And they weren't that often.

"Briles and the staff disciplined nobody until 2015"

So a suspension is not discipline?
Ghostrider
BearTruth13 said:

So if I show you a game where a player sat for the whole game between 08 and 15, then you would leave the board?
BearTruth13
"Typical time of 1/2 of a game or 1 game"

Dear lord can you please read? Is that too difficult?

And leave the board? Hahahaha. Sorry you do not like having your world view challenged.
Ghostrider
BearTruth13 said:

"Typical time of 1/2 of a game or 1 game"

Dear lord can you please read? Is that too difficult?

And leave the board? Hahahaha. Sorry you do not like having your world view challenged.
Just tired of reading fake news by you.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.