Football
Sponsored by

Rhule is a winner

12,919 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by D. C. Bear
Krieg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

A successful OC that ran the right scheme would've been a much smarter hire with less rebuild time.

As for the team, they weren't bad last year. They went 6-0 and then the coaches and team got trashed by some BoR cowards and they quit.

They also dominated a G5 team that won 10 games last year to end the season.
I couldn't disagree more with your first sentence. I'm not nearly as concerned about a coach's floor as his ceiling. And I'm fine going through a one- or two-year rebuilding process if it means greater reward in the end. If given a choice between a Matt Rhule or a Kliff Kingsbury (at the time of his Tech hire), I'm choosing Rhule all day every day. Time will tell if I'm right, but I'm more than happy to take those odds.

And as for last year's team, we beat two good teams all year and we got blown out by every other bowl team except West Virginia. We needed a miracle in Ames against bad Iowa State team just to get a 13th game. That was not a good team, and by the end of the regular season, it was a very bad one.

Kliff had virtually no experience, so sure I'd agree there. Lincoln Riley would be a better example of someone that would've been a better hire for the short term and possibly the long term. Someone like that, with more experience than KK.

As for the team, you don't seem to understand what happened last year. They were good, but the situation was so bad it stopped mattering. They were worlds better than what we have today, too. Just look at the FCS and OSU games...
Krieg
Mothra said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

OldSchoolBU said:

Rhule is a winner. A proven winner in a competitive conference. Get your panties unwad and trust the process! Enjoy the improvement this year. Expect a team that will compete for a conference championship next year.
Competitive Conference? When did he coach in a competitive conference? Because for years we were told that the AAC is a crap conference and losing to UCF was an embarrassment. Now it is a competitive conference?

Amazing the twisting that goes on to justify Rhule.
The AAC had more players drafted than the Big 12 did last year and it hasn't been as far behind the Big 12 in conference power ratings as most here want to believe in recent years. The AAC isn't a great league, but it's very competitive.

The Big 12 is 2nd right now behind the B1G according to Sagarin...so that's not true.
We're not talking about this year. The conversation was about the strength of the AAC the years Matt Rhule was coaching in it. The Big 12 was rated fifth in most of those years by the computers, one spot ahead of the American, which won both of its BCS/New Year's six bowls during that time.

Temple would've lost 6 conference games in the Big 12 last year I bet, and maybe more after the attrition of playing his teams every week. Their offense sucked, and no defense can hold enough teams in our conference below 21 to win many games. They also didn't even have to play the best offenses in their own conference, so the D might not have even worked against some of their own.

Besides, he peaked at 10 wins there and 0 bowl wins (yes, in one try coaching and 2 with his team). 2011, 2013, 2014, and 2015 at Baylor were better years in terms of achievements than what he's ever done, and 2012 and 2016 arguably are as well in a lot of ways and woulda definitely be his #2 ever season.

He did a fine job at Temple, but let's call it what it was. He had 2 good seasons out of 4, and in his best season still lost to Army after an entire off-season to prepare. He wasn't ready for this job. Maybe he will be soon enough to succeed here, and hopefully somehow that happens, but he wasn't ready for this year at all.
Coaching in a worse conference than the AAC, Art Briles won more than eight games just once in five seasons and was 0-3 in bowl games at Houston. Was he ready for the Baylor job?

For a job at a place that hadn't even been to a bowl game in more than a decade?

That's the exact time you hire someone like Briles, or Rhule if you're crazy enough to think his strategy could revive a dead program in the Big 12.

You don't hire a guy that's a 180 from your previous strategy unless that strategy was a failure. You also only hire people with plans for succeeding in some measure with the guys on campus so you don't go 10 steps backwards in year 1.

Couldn't agree more. We had a winning brand and Rhule has destroyed it. That said, I thought he was a good hire at the time. What I didn't realize is how unadaptable he would be.

The problem was you believed what he told us, lol.
Mothra
I thought you were correct - Rhule has a bigger upside given his success at Temple. Now I have serious doubts based on the play I've seen on the field. But some hope remains after the play of the freshmen. The next 5 games are going to be key to knowing whether your hope is justified - starting this weekend, a very winnable game at home against a very mediocre rival. If we come out and lay an egg, or if we come out a win - I think that will tell us a whole lot going forward.
Wwbear
bear2be2 said:

The problem with this post -- like most opinions on this board -- is it fails to take into account the impact the scandal had on our program and the attractiveness of our job. We weren't going to poach a proven Power 5 coach to come take on this mess. It was going to be a guy like Rhule who had had success at a lower level and was ready for a new challenge.

Could we have hired someone more in line philosophically with the schemes we had run in the past? Probably. But we weren't going to hire anyone with a more impressive resume than Rhule -- a championship coach in the sixth best conference in the country. Hell, it took a seven-year deal to get him here.

And to say that we've taken 10 steps backward this season is to ignore that we lost our last six regular-season games with a better and more experienced roster last year and looked dreadful doing it for the most part. This has been a bad team for a good while.
Have to say I agree with this post. We settled for the best we could get at the time. By best I mean someone that said the right things and presented a good image who just so happened to have a winning few seasons. I do feel nonfootball people ultimately made the hire, thus the BIG 10 philosophies while trying to convince us and himself that we'll be the next Oregon.
cowboycwr
bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

A successful OC that ran the right scheme would've been a much smarter hire with less rebuild time.

As for the team, they weren't bad last year. They went 6-0 and then the coaches and team got trashed by some BoR cowards and they quit.

I couldn't disagree more with your first sentence. I'm not nearly as concerned about a coach's floor as his ceiling. And I'm fine going through a one- or two-year rebuilding process if it means greater reward in the end. If given a choice between a Matt Rhule or a Kliff Kingsbury (at the time of his Tech hire), I'm choosing Rhule all day every day. Time will tell if I'm right, but I'm more than happy to take those odds.

And as for last year's team, we beat two good teams all year and we got blown out by every other bowl team except West Virginia. We needed a miracle in Ames against bad Iowa State team just to get a 13th game. That was not a good team, and by the end of the regular season, it was a very bad one.
The problem is we have no idea if it will be a reward in the end. From what we have seen so far it will not be.

0-7 speaks volumes.

Liberty

UTSA

Time has already told that you are wrong. Matt RhuLLLLLLLe is lost in the big 12 and cannot figure out what it takes to coach in this conference. He wants to pretend it is the 90s and run 3 yards and a cloud of dust all day long. And it has not worked.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

OldSchoolBU said:

Rhule is a winner. A proven winner in a competitive conference. Get your panties unwad and trust the process! Enjoy the improvement this year. Expect a team that will compete for a conference championship next year.
Competitive Conference? When did he coach in a competitive conference? Because for years we were told that the AAC is a crap conference and losing to UCF was an embarrassment. Now it is a competitive conference?

The AAC had more players drafted than the Big 12 did last year and it hasn't been as far behind the Big 12 in conference power ratings as most here want to believe in recent years. The AAC isn't a great league, but it's very competitive.

The Big 12 is 2nd right now behind the B1G according to Sagarin...so that's not true.
We're not talking about this year. The conversation was about the strength of the AAC the years Matt Rhule was coaching in it. The Big 12 was rated fifth in most of those years by the computers, one spot ahead of the American, which won both of its BCS/New Year's six bowls during that time.

Temple would've lost 6 conference games in the Big 12 last year I bet, and maybe more after the attrition of playing his teams every week. Their offense sucked, and no defense can hold enough teams in our conference below 21 to win many games. They also didn't even have to play the best offenses in their own conference, so the D might not have even worked against some of their own.

Besides, he peaked at 10 wins there and 0 bowl wins (yes, in one try coaching and 2 with his team). 2011, 2013, 2014, and 2015 at Baylor were better years in terms of achievements than what he's ever done, and 2012 and 2016 arguably are as well in a lot of ways and woulda definitely be his #2 ever season.

He did a fine job at Temple, but let's call it what it was. He had 2 good seasons out of 4, and in his best season still lost to Army after an entire off-season to prepare. He wasn't ready for this job. Maybe he will be soon enough to succeed here, and hopefully somehow that happens, but he wasn't ready for this year at all.
Coaching in a worse conference than the AAC, Art Briles won more than eight games just once in five seasons and was 0-3 in bowl games at Houston. Was he ready for the Baylor job?

For a job at a place that hadn't even been to a bowl game in more than a decade?

That's the exact time you hire someone like Briles, or Rhule if you're crazy enough to think his strategy could revive a dead program in the Big 12.

You don't hire a guy that's a 180 from your previous strategy unless that strategy was a failure. You also only hire people with plans for succeeding in some measure with the guys on campus so you don't go 10 steps backwards in year 1.

Couldn't agree more. We had a winning brand and Rhule has destroyed it. That said, I thought he was a good hire at the time. What I didn't realize is how unadaptable he would be.

The Baylor football brand was more closely associated with rape than touchdowns or wins when Rhule took over. The destruction of our brand occurred long before he was hired. Only delusional Baylor fans discount the impact our scandal had on the program Rhule inherited.
bear2be2
cowboycwr said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

The problem is we have no idea if it will be a reward in the end. From what we have seen so far it will not be.

0-7 speaks volumes.

Liberty

UTSA

Time has already told that you are wrong. Matt RhuLLLLLLLe is lost in the big 12 and cannot figure out what it takes to coach in this conference. He wants to pretend it is the 90s and run 3 yards and a cloud of dust all day long. And it has not worked.

You do realize we've run more pass plays than run plays, right? If you count sacks, the number of called pass plays is quite a bit higher. We've also run the vast majority of our plays out of the shotgun with at least three wide.

This insinuation that we're running some archaic run scheme is just bogus and most often perpetuated by fans who complain without even understanding what they're watching.
Wwbear
bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

0-7 speaks volumes.

Liberty

UTSA

You do realize we've run more pass plays than run plays, right? If you count sacks, the number of called pass plays is quite a bit higher. We've also run the vast majority of our plays out of the shotgun with at least three wide.

This insinuation that we're running some archaic run scheme is just bogus and most often perpetuated by fans who complain without even understanding what they're watching.
I'd like to see your source for this. From what Ive seen, we try to force the run and resort to throwing the ball toward the end when we're losing. Since we're losing in every game I can see how the numbers would favor passing, but not sure I totally buy that statement.

Pale Rider
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

OldSchoolBU said:

The Baylor football brand was more closely associated with rape than touchdowns or wins when Rhule took over. The destruction of our brand occurred long before he was hired. Only delusional Baylor fans discount the impact our scandal had on the program Rhule inherited.
Post of the day from b2b2.
cowboycwr
bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

0-7 speaks volumes.

Liberty

UTSA

Yes I do. But we run those pass plays in the second half when we are trying to catch up because the run hasn't worked in the first half or first 3 quarters.

cowboycwr
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

OldSchoolBU said:

And whose fault was that? The BOR for creating a situation that did not exist.
Krieg
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

OldSchoolBU said:

The brand of football you moron.
Shakesbear
Hex Tex! Hex Tex! Hex Tex!
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Jay Square
Rhule is a big winner at contract negotiations.
bear2be2
Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

OldSchoolBU said:

The brand of football you moron.

Ignoring the unnecessary, unprovoked and poorly punctuated personal attack, the brand of football left with Art Briles and his largely tainted coaching tree. Anyone we brought in after him was going to require, in addition to some significant image repair, a transition period of some length and degree.

Would all have required as much foundation work as Rhule? Probably not. But most didn't have his resume and wouldn't have had his ceiling either.
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

OldSchoolBU said:

I'm not talking what people in the media believe. I'm talking with recruits and fans. We had an unstoppable offense that was the best in the nation. It was our nuclear weapon - the great equalizer. Now it's gone forever.
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

0-7 speaks volumes.

Liberty

UTSA

I can't say I've done the research on this, but I do know I saw I formation offense much of the k State and okie state games, with the QB under center and a full back.
Jacques Strap
Whatever style it is the offense is ranked #100 out of 130 in efficiency.

OFFENSE: Offensive efficiency on 0-100 scale; based on offense's contribution to scoring margin on per-play basis, adjusted for strength of opposing defenses faced

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/sort/offEfficiency/tab/efficiency
Timbear
Rhule is a sincere man, but you can be sincerely wrong. Zach is a great guy who is 1-11 as a starter. There are obvious team deficiencies, but why would Rhule start a QB who told the coach he was sick? (Ok St game) Brewer led Baylor to more points in 1 quarter, than Baylor has scored in 4 of it's entire games this year. When Brewer went in, we had only scored 13 points, after living in Ok St end of the field for the first half. This is not a criticism of any player. Players are who they are. Rhule, nor any of his staff will take responsibility for our failures this year. I truly hope that Sat. marks a new beginning because our team has good , committed, hard working players.
D. C. Bear
Jacques Strap said:

Whatever style it is the offense is ranked #100 out of 130 in efficiency.

OFFENSE: Offensive efficiency on 0-100 scale; based on offense's contribution to scoring margin on per-play basis, adjusted for strength of opposing defenses faced

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/sort/offEfficiency/tab/efficiency

Yeah, but we're 14th in special team efficiency.
No wonder Thee is so happy.
bear2be2
Timbear said:

Rhule is a sincere man, but you can be sincerely wrong. Zach is a great guy who is 1-11 as a starter. There are obvious team deficiencies, but why would Rhule start a QB who told the coach he was sick? (Ok St game) Brewer led Baylor to more points in 1 quarter, than Baylor has scored in 4 of it's entire games this year. When Brewer went in, we had only scored 13 points, after living in Ok St end of the field for the first half. This is not a criticism of any player. Players are who they are. Rhule, nor any of his staff will take responsibility for our failures this year. I truly hope that Sat. marks a new beginning because our team has good , committed, hard working players.
I, too, would like to see Brewer get the lion's share of the snaps the rest of the way, but Zach has only started nine career games -- four last season and five this year.
Jacques Strap
I'd like Brewer to start and get a full game. At this point in this season there is no reason not to give him a shot.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

I'm not talking what people in the media believe. I'm talking with recruits and fans. We had an unstoppable offense that was the best in the nation. It was our nuclear weapon - the great equalizer. Now it's gone forever.
Not many opposing fans are talking about offense or touchdowns when Art Briles' name comes up these days. Rightly or wrongly, he's the win-at-all-costs Baylor coach who sat idly by and oversaw a rape scandal to all but a pocket of Baylor fans and his coaching buddies.

And if his brand still had cache with recruits beyond his cult of personality, they wouldn't have bailed left and right after he was fired. The Briles brand at Baylor -- and all that entailed -- died with his coaching career.
Mothra
You think Rhule is getting recruits based on personality? You think he was able to cobble together a top 30 recruiting class because he's an awesome recruiter?

No. We got that recruiting class because of the brand.
D. C. Bear
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

OldSchoolBU said:

You have your opinion, and it could be valid, but I trust Coach Rhule's observations about the strength of the Baylor brand when he arrived. He disagreed with your assessment.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.