Football
Sponsored by

* * Midway Goes 10-0

30,426 Views | 380 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RR/BV
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Robert Wilson said:

Lots of good football in Cemtral Texas again this year.

Live oak won TAPPS 6 man (repeat)
Mart still alive in 2A
Rockdale in 3A (ok that's on the edge)
La Vega in 4A
Midway in 6A

Could stack up a few trophies this year.

Am I missing anyone?
pretty decent year for Central Texas HS football. A couple of state titles would top it offf
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
Bearprof said:

Mickens played extremely well. Very athletic and seems to have some serious upside. MHS has gone up against some really good WRs this season - that 2019 commit, Gleeson, and now Mickens. MHS's DBs have been well coached this year. If the 2014 team (with Hicks, Haughton, and Stricklin) had this defense, they would have beaten Spring HS in that 46-45 3rd round shootout (to this day is the best HS game I've attended), and who knows how far they would have gone. This DL, with Player clogging up the middle, makes you earn those yards and doesn't allow big plays via the run. SLC was double teaming Player all night, and they were smart to do so.
Gleeson looked like a really solid player. He may be able to step right into the BU WR rotation in 2020.
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Robert Wilson
Assassin said:

Robert Wilson said:

Mart still alive in 2A
La Vega in 4A
Midway in 6A

Am I missing anyone?
pretty decent year for Central Texas HS football. A couple of state titles would top it offf

I'll be surprised if Mart doesn't win it.

La Vega and Midway each have a legit shot. La Vega has Carthage this week. That's probably the big one.
hodedofome
Midway made it to the 4A state semifinals in football in '97, where they got smoked by Texas City. I believe Texas City won state that year and had quite a few players go to UT. Brandon Johnson was the QB for Midway, he probably would have been pursued by bigger schools had he been taller. He got a scholarship to a smaller school in Arkansas, but not sure if he ever played.

After I graduated in '98 Midway grew by leaps and bounds. They've been taking in athlete transfers left and right. I could probably count on one or two hands the number of minority's in my class, and now it's much more diversified. I think that's a good thing, it was quite a white bubble back in the '90s.
CottonValley
Robert Wilson said:

Assassin said:

Robert Wilson said:

Mart still alive in 2A
La Vega in 4A
Midway in 6A

Am I missing anyone?

I'll be surprised if Mart doesn't win it.

La Vega and Midway each have a legit shot. La Vega has Carthage this week. That's probably the big one.
Whoever wins that game will get a ring. Carthage is loaded this year, La Vega has to play mistake free ball.
LIB,MR BEARS
When is Carthage not loaded? There's something about that red dirt and Murvall water.
RR/BV
Methodist Children's Home as well as Parkview Christian joined Live Oak as Waco teams with football state titles this year.
Yogi
Wouldn't surprise me if Mordecai is the next Heisman winner at OU.

I just hope that he isn't such a ****** in winning it.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Assassin
hodedofome said:

Midway made it to the 4A state semifinals in football in '97, where they got smoked by Texas City. I believe Texas City won state that year and had quite a few players go to UT. Brandon Johnson was the QB for Midway, he probably would have been pursued by bigger schools had he been taller. He got a scholarship to a smaller school in Arkansas, but not sure if he ever played.

After I graduated in '98 Midway grew by leaps and bounds. They've been taking in athlete transfers left and right. I could probably count on one or two hands the number of minority's in my class, and now it's much more diversified. I think that's a good thing, it was quite a white bubble back in the '90s.
We were mainly white back in the 60's/early 70s but we had some blacks, Hispanics, Jewish - even Indian (Asian type).

As for numbers, when I was in 1st grade (1960) there were 17 Seniors that year. I think its got a pinch bigger
Assassin
Yogi said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Mordecai is the next Heisman winner at OU.

I just hope that he isn't such a ****** in winning it.
We really missed out on Mordecai IMO.
cowboycwr
Assassin said:

FYI - Waco HS will be moving into 6A D2 in 2018. The cutoff was 2190 average enrollment. They submitted 2195.

Unknown what district they will be in - most likely with the Killeen schools, plus Copperas Cove, Temple (which will also make the jump from 5A), Belton and Midway. But that would make it a 9 school district when UIL doesnt like. Could send Waco north - or Belton south.
I bet the school left out will be Cove. They will get sent South to an Austin/ Round Rock district.
cowboycwr
Assassin said:

RioRata said:

Assassin said:

gonna hate to see Mordecai as a Sooner
Sorry, can't root for Midway next season. Waco High is moving up to 6A. Would like to pull for them a little but I think there are rules and such lol.
Not sure WHS will be competitive for a while. Only 5 kids over the min limit. Somebody said that size matters
And that was numbers reported..... they are smaller than that by about 100 students (or more) in reality.
Assassin
cowboycwr said:

Assassin said:

FYI - Waco HS will be moving into 6A D2 in 2018. The cutoff was 2190 average enrollment. They submitted 2195.

Unknown what district they will be in - most likely with the Killeen schools, plus Copperas Cove, Temple (which will also make the jump from 5A), Belton and Midway. But that would make it a 9 school district when UIL doesnt like. Could send Waco north - or Belton south.
I bet the school left out will be Cove. They will get sent South to an Austin/ Round Rock district.
Or the could run with 9 schools in a district for a season or two. Its happened before. Hard to tell right now
cowboycwr
RioRata said:

Assassin said:

Tanner to Demarcus for 30 yds! 21-0 Midway. 8:09 left in the half

Smoaky just said that SLC is in a two TE set? They no longer run Todd Dodge's offense?
I think they have had 2 or 3 head coaches since he left. I am sure that they run what they know at this point.
cowboycwr
Robert Wilson said:

Mart still alive in 2A
La Vega in 4A
Midway in 6A

Am I missing anyone?
Methodist Children's Home School

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/high_schools/central_texas_football/methodist-children-s-home-outlasts-wylie-prep-seizes-first-state/article_af51699c-5e75-5145-be24-73d6fb4b2ed3.html

They won state in the Texas Christian Athletic Fellowship division.... whatever that is....
cowboycwr
RioRata said:

Assassin said:

RioRata said:

Assassin said:

Sorry, can't root for Midway next season. Waco High is moving up to 6A. Would like to pull for them a little but I think there are rules and such lol.
Not sure WHS will be competitive for a while. Only 5 kids over the min limit. Somebody said that size matters

When Smoaky, Butch and Paul first discussed the new realignment they said that Waco High should have their best team ( barring injury) since the Johnny Tusa days...or something to that effect. Depth and injuries continue to be an issue for them now at the 5A level. Some callers mentioned the possible consolidation of WHS and University but I don't see that happening.

University was scheduled to consolidate with WHS, Jefferson-Moore and Richfield back in the 80s until LULAC began to rattle their legal sword and WISD wanted no part of that...doubt things have changed. Even if the Lions were to add that 1,800 students to their enrollment I doubt there would be enough football talent to make a difference. Could be some rough sledding in the Lions future.
With Waco high having a much larger Hispanic population today than in 1980 I doubt LULAC would get involved or be able to make a case. Hispanic to black population is very close to even at Waco now.

But I think you are right. Combining the 2 schools might not help much in football. University hasn't won a game in like 3 years (or is it 4?)
cowboycwr
Assassin said:

cowboycwr said:

Assassin said:

Or the could run with 9 schools in a district for a season or two. Its happened before. Hard to tell right now
True. But usually the UIL likes districts to have even numbers of teams. They usually only go with odd numbers at the lower classifications or West Texas/ El Paso area districts.
cowboycwr
RR/BV said:

Methodist Children's Home as well as Parkview Christian joined Live Oak as Waco teams with football state titles this year.
Good call I forgot about Parkview
Assassin
cowboycwr said:

Robert Wilson said:

Mart still alive in 2A
La Vega in 4A
Midway in 6A

Am I missing anyone?
Methodist Children's Home School

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/high_schools/central_texas_football/methodist-children-s-home-outlasts-wylie-prep-seizes-first-state/article_af51699c-5e75-5145-be24-73d6fb4b2ed3.html

They won state in the Texas Christian Athletic Fellowship division.... whatever that is....
good stuff. glad for those guys
Assassin
cowboycwr said:

RR/BV said:

Good call I forgot about Parkview
A dream season for the Parkview Christian Pacers ended in the perfect way.
The Pacers went down to Houston looking to take down Coprus Christi Annapolis Christian Academy and claim the TCAL Six-Man Division II championship, and that's just what they did.
The Pacers held off a rally by the Warriors and won the state title by a final of 65-62 on Saturday at Houston Baptist. It marks the Pacers first state title in 21 years and third overall. They finish the year with a record of 9-3.

http://www.kwtx.com/content/sports/Park-460000373.html
Assassin
so it would appear Waco is becoming the center of 6 man football in Texas...

shades of Jack Pardee
RioRata
cowboycwr said:

RioRata said:

Assassin said:

RioRata said:

Assassin said:

When Smoaky, Butch and Paul first discussed the new realignment they said that Waco High should have their best team ( barring injury) since the Johnny Tusa days...or something to that effect. Depth and injuries continue to be an issue for them now at the 5A level. Some callers mentioned the possible consolidation of WHS and University but I don't see that happening.

University was scheduled to consolidate with WHS, Jefferson-Moore and Richfield back in the 80s until LULAC began to rattle their legal sword and WISD wanted no part of that...doubt things have changed. Even if the Lions were to add that 1,800 students to their enrollment I doubt there would be enough football talent to make a difference. Could be some rough sledding in the Lions future.
With Waco high having a much larger Hispanic population today than in 1980 I doubt LULAC would get involved or be able to make a case. Hispanic to black population is very close to even at Waco now.

But I think you are right. Combining the 2 schools might not help much in football. University hasn't won a game in like 3 years (or is it 4?)

University is a program that produces a once in a generation player (Walter Abercrombie and LaDainian Tomlinson come to mind) but not even they can make the program a winner.

I'm glad that LaVega gave Coach Willie Williams another shot to show what he can do. Good for him...he earned it!
LIB,MR BEARS
Waco University HS is all about that other football - the round one, not the pointy one.
Robert Wilson
They did win a state championship in soccer recently.

They also had a great basketball team last year. It really does not make sense that they can't do better on the football field.

They have moved Baylor's own Rodney Smith over football to see what he can get done. That guy was a monster on the football field and the basketball court, both at University and at Baylor.
RioRata
Robert Wilson said:

They also had a great basketball team last year. It really does not make sense that they can't do better on the football field.

They have moved Baylor's own Rodney Smith over football to see what he can get done. That guy was a monster on the football field and the basketball court, both at University and at Baylor.

University has the same problem that Jefferson-Moore had in the late 70s/early 80s...lack of size on both lines. Johnny Tusa took over at Jeff-Moore and used the Lions blazing speed to turn things around.

Smith played for Tusa and Tusa is now the WISD AD. Hopefully between the two of them they can get it figured out.
cowboycwr
Robert Wilson said:

I think it is because a lot of their athletic kids are playing soccer or basketball and not football.

cowboycwr
RioRata said:

Robert Wilson said:

University has the same problem that Jefferson-Moore had in the late 70s/early 80s...lack of size on both lines. Johnny Tusa took over at Jeff-Moore and used the Lions blazing speed to turn things around.

Smith played for Tusa and Tusa is now the WISD AD. Hopefully between the two of them they can get it figured out.
Do ADs sometimes get sent packing with a new superintendent? I know often principals, district personnel, etc get sent packing to make room for the new Super's people (either their own picks or their friends from previous districts) but does that sometimes include the Athletic Director?

Just curious because that would be a big time move for the super to replace a Waco fixture like that (I'll leave the good or bad opinion to each individual reader).
RioRata
cowboycwr said:

RioRata said:

Robert Wilson said:

Do ADs sometimes get sent packing with a new superintendent? I know often principals, district personnel, etc get sent packing to make room for the new Super's people (either their own picks or their friends from previous districts) include the Athletic Director?

Just curious because that would be a big time move for the super to replace a Waco fixture like that (I'll leave the good or bad opinion to each individual reader).

WISD AD is a lifetime position if you coached at Waco High...just the politics of the thing. Jack Price was the WISD AD for decades because he had some success at WHS. Price was a pathetic AD...very little success on his watch, excluding Moore High/Jefferson-Moore basketball.
BaylorProud77
Assassin said:

hodedofome said:

We were mainly white back in the 60's/early 70s but we had some blacks, Hispanics, Jewish - even Indian (Asian type).

As for numbers, when I was in 1st grade (1960) there were 17 Seniors that year. I think its got a pinch bigger
wow, surprise you still have that great of a memory assassin. lol
cowboycwr
RioRata said:

cowboycwr said:

RioRata said:

Robert Wilson said:

Do ADs sometimes get sent packing with a new superintendent? I know often principals, district personnel, etc get sent packing to make room for the new Super's people (either their own picks or their friends from previous districts) include the Athletic Director?

WISD AD is a lifetime position if you coached at Waco High...just the politics of the thing. Jack Price was the WISD AD for decades because he had some success at WHS. Price was a pathetic AD...very little success on his watch, excluding Moore High/Jefferson-Moore basketball.

Maybe not with this new superintendent. He doesn't care about small town politics. I have a feeling at the end of the year (or sooner) there will be a bunch of changes announced. And several "Waco" people with longtime family connections could be gone.

He doesn't seem concerned with who is a Waco or university grad, whose family is from Waco, whose family are all grads, etc. Just what is best for the schools and the kids.
TSUBoogie
RioRata said:

Robert Wilson said:

Rodney Smith played for coach LeRoy Coleman at University. Coach Coleman is now on staff at La Vega.
RioRata
TSUBoogie said:

RioRata said:

Robert Wilson said:

Rodney Smith played for coach LeRoy Coleman at University. Coach Coleman is now on staff at La Vega.

My mistake...shoulda known that. I was going off of what someone else had said.
RR/BV
Rio rats
Please do your homework. Smith never had payed for Tusa. Tusa had one winning record before he was given the keys to The High.
Assassin
RioRata
RR/BV said:

Rio rats
Please do your homework. Smith never had payed for Tusa (check the post above yours where I acknowledged that mistake ). Tusa had one winning record before he was given the keys to The High (there was more than one winning season...you might want to check the years that Wayne Walker (Texas Tech/SD Chargers) and Ted Long (OU) played there).

There were hard feelings when Tusa got the job over Flood but Flood landed on his feet. Flood was a branch of the Wayne Gardner coaching tree (Old WHS) and that was a very weak branch to hang your hat on. Tusa had skins on the wall from his playing/coaching days at Reicher. Tusa turned around a pathetically bad Jefferson-Moore program (University HS bad) and got them on the winning path.

Of course, it didn't hurt Tusa's case that he is Hispanic and had strong political tiies in South Waco...his parents owned a business in S Waco and had clout. It also helped that he had John Vasek in his corner...Reicher connections and his son played for Tusa at JMHS. Marco, a Reicher boy, posted several times on BFs about his unhappiness with WISD poaching Reicher coaches.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.