Football
Sponsored by

* * Midway Goes 10-0

29,896 Views | 380 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RR/BV
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lobos inside the 10
Assassin
This would suck so bad if Longview makes this FG...
Assassin
Lobos beat Midway twice before over the years in the playoffs. Both by 1 pt
gobears20
Staff
Lobos kicking fg for win about as far as an extra point
29 yard fg
7 seconds left
gobears20
Staff
He missed it!!!!!!!
Assassin
no good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Assassin
holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gobears20
Staff
Midway going to state!!!
Assassin
I dont believe it!
whitetrash
Just like the 2008 game, Longview doesn't score on the last play of the game. Difference is this time the refs can't screw it up.
bularry
Wow. hate it for that longview kicker, though
DAC
Assassin said:

I dont believe it!

Congrats Assassin!
whitetrash
I think Mordecai just dropped an f-bomb in his postgame radio interview.
Assassin
DAC said:

Assassin said:

I dont believe it!
Congrats Assassin!
Thanks. Lots of Midway folks on this board.

Matter of fact, this could be just about as much of a greater Waco win. We tend to pull for each other when it gets to this point. I was screaming like crazy for Robinson a couple of years ago. And they were our cross-town rivals back in the day
DAC
Assassin said:

DAC said:

Assassin said:

I dont believe it!
Congrats Assassin!
Thanks. Lots of Midway folks on this board.

Matter of fact, this could be just about as much of a greater Waco win. We tend to pull for each other when it gets to this point. I was screaming like crazy for Robinson a couple of years ago. And they were our cross-town rivals back in the day

That's awesome
Assassin
think things have changed at Midway?

RioRata
Assassin said:

Wow. The size (lack there of) on the lines.

Edit: Depth of roster, too.
Assassin
RioRata said:

Assassin said:

Wow. The size (lack there of) on the lines.

Edit: Depth of roster, too.
Definitely before my time!
Assassin
Cy Fair writeup. http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/Cy-Fair-upends-Austin-Westlake-advances-to-first-12436290.php
LIB,MR BEARS
I've got a cousin on that roster
RioRata
Assassin said:

Cy Fair writeup. http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/Cy-Fair-upends-Austin-Westlake-advances-to-first-12436290.php

I haven't follow the Bobcats since the 70's when the were the only HS in the CFISD. They now have twelve 6A HS in the CFISD. I haven't attended any events at the Berry Center yet but it was the first mega HS facilty in the state.

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=1050

Been to the old stadium once to watch my nephew's Klien Oak Panthers beat Langham Creek back in the 80s.
Ajax BU
As a midway grad who has been out of the hs football loop since the day I graduated, can someone explain the division 6a division 1 & 2 stuff?

I've been out of state for two months but I happen to be back in DFW this upcoming Friday, I may have to go to the championship game.
Bearprof
Absolutely some of the worst conditions I've experienced from attending a football game. Cold, rain was consistent the whole evening, and at times fairly windy. It was an ugly game from both sides at times due primarily to the weather. Special Teams were a mess out there - blocked punts and field goals and missed field goals, fumbles on kickoff and punts...when there was a punt, high snaps.

This was a perfect recipe to slow MHS's offense - bad weather which makes it more difficult to execute a consistent passing game. Longview was a very balanced team, but they didn't have enough firepower on offense to pull out the win. Perhaps the MHS defense has only one college-bound player on that squad...but they are all good HS football players and they also have some depth. That's just enough to make all of the teams thus far have to earn their yards against MHS. Bend but don't break. MHS won ugly, but a win is a win. Next week there will be no bad weather in AT&T Stadium so that bodes well for MHS. If MHS would have thrown more delayed crossing routes to the middle of the field, they would have had scored at least another TD or perhaps 2. That play was there all night. Fullbright was close to breaking several long runs tonight as well. Credit Longview for not allowing those to happen. Gut check win.

On to the final!
Osodecentx
Where will game be played?
Bearprof
AT&T Stadium - next Saturday at 7:00.
Assassin
Ajax BU said:

As a midway grad who has been out of the hs football loop since the day I graduated, can someone explain the division 6a division 1 & 2 stuff?

I've been out of state for two months but I happen to be back in DFW this upcoming Friday, I may have to go to the championship game.
It has to do with enrollment size below 5a.

The new cutoffs:

1A Division I: 59 104.9
1A Division II: 58 and below
2A Division I: 158 220
2A Division II: 105-157
3A Division I: 319 479
3A Division II: 221 318
4A Division I: 723 1099
4A Division II: 480 722

From DMN site: Each UIL class has two football champions: Division I and Division II. In Classes 1A through 4A, the football divisions are determined during the UIL's realignment every two years. But in 5A and 6A, for the largest schools, a team's placement in Division I or II depends on the enrollments of the four qualifying playoff teams in its district. Four teams make the playoffs. The two schools with the largest enrollment go to Division I, and the other two go to Division II.
-----------
IMO - I would assume there are not enough 6a teams to actually set up districts with schools in their size. Super sized schools like Allen and Skyline would have a very small pool in their district. And they would hold a massive size advantage over say Midway who is also 6. Allen has 4,400 kids. the massive Cypress school system has several schools over 3500. Midway will play Cy Fair with 3,656 students - they have several schools larger in their district. Midway has 2,282. Waco HS just joined 6a five kids above the new 2,150 cutoff. Still huge advantages from the talent pool for Cy Fair and others.
Assassin
Just sent a note over to David Smoak to find out that if Midway wins, will they be the smallest 6 D2 winner ever
RioRata
Ajax BU said:

Divisional play began in the late 80s early 90s in the largest classification only (5A) due to the vast disparity of enrollments of those schools. The mega high schools had become dominate and the logistics of creating another classification for them wouldn't work due to travel for district games.

For instance, if a higher classification had been added schools like Permian and Midland Lee would have been forced to travel to DFW on a weekly basis. This would be rough on football games and totally unworkable on sports that had more than one game per week. This was actually a good idea, for 5A only, and the UIL came up withe cutoff numbers to decide playoff pairings for D1 and D2 games.

In the late 70s San Antonio Lee had an enrollment approaching 8,000 and became dominate at football due to the sheer number of students they had to choose from. SA Churchill was opened to relieve overcrowding at Lee and the Charges soon became the 800 lbs gorilla in the room. I had two aunts that lived in Castle Hills at the time and there children competed in UIL events at both schools (the oldest at Lee and the younger ones at Churchill) without ever moving. When my youngest cousin enrolled at Churchill they had 8, 000+ students.

And then there was Plano Senior HS (juniors and seniors) only.
RioRata
Assassin said:

Just sent a note over to David Smoak to find out that if Midway wins, will they be the smallest 6 D2 winner ever

My guess is it would be close if not the smallest 6A team to win it all. I would think that the smallest school to ever win the largest classification though would have been Dallas Carter or Houston Yates (maybe West Orange-Stark back when Coach Hooks was there) though.

Edit: Those John Tyler teams (Smoaky's backyard) had small enrollments when they were winning the largest classification but I think it would be West Orange (if they qualify).
Ajax BU
Thanks guys, when I graduated midway we were still 4A, pretty bad at football too
Assassin
Semi's Scores:

6A DIVISION I
Allen 28, Cedar Ridge 7
Lake Travis 28, Katy 14
6A DIVISION II
Waco Midway 28, Longview 26
Cy-Fair 14, Westlake 6
5A DIVISION I
Highland Park 45, Denton Ryan 35
Manvel 35, Angleton 10
5A DIVISION II
Aledo 28, Mansfield Legacy 21
College Station 49, Austin McCallum 21
4A DIVISION I
Kennedale 54, Stephenville 28
Carthage 46, Waco LaVega 39
4A DIVISION II
Texarkana Pleasant Grove 45, Graham 14
West Orange-Stark 30, Wimberley 21
3A DIVISION I
Brock 49, Kemp 21
Rockdale 31, Yoakum 21
3A DIVISION II
Gunter 56, Canadian 27
Newton 56, Boling 28
2A DIVISION I
Mart 33, Stratford 13
Refugio 63, San Augustine 21
2A DIVISION II
Muenster 31, Wellington 28
Tenaha 60, Burton 22
Assassin
Cy Fair's schedule - they have some quality wins: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/cy-fair-bobcats-(cypress,tx)/football/schedule.htm
RioRata
LIB,MR BEARS said:

I've got a cousin on that roster

Good for him (seriously). Which subdivision do they live in? Just curious because my mother's cousin, Bob Carey Sr, was the developer (along with a business partner) of Lakewood Forest Subdivision back in the 70s.
Flaming Moderate
Bearprof said:

Absolutely some of the worst conditions I've experienced from attending a football game. Cold, rain was consistent the whole evening, and at times fairly windy. It was an ugly game from both sides at times due primarily to the weather. Special Teams were a mess out there - blocked punts and field goals and missed field goals, fumbles on kickoff and punts...when there was a punt, high snaps.

This was a perfect recipe to slow MHS's offense - bad weather which makes it more difficult to execute a consistent passing game. Longview was a very balanced team, but they didn't have enough firepower on offense to pull out the win. Perhaps the MHS defense has only one college-bound player on that squad...but they are all good HS football players and they also have some depth. That's just enough to make all of the teams thus far have to earn their yards against MHS. Bend but don't break. MHS won ugly, but a win is a win. Next week there will be no bad weather in AT&T Stadium so that bodes well for MHS. If MHS would have thrown more delayed crossing routes to the middle of the field, they would have had scored at least another TD or perhaps 2. That play was there all night. Fullbright was close to breaking several long runs tonight as well. Credit Longview for not allowing those to happen. Gut check win.

On to the final!
Great game on the field, terrible game in the stands. We finally pulled the plug at the end of the Third - the boy was done. Okay until half time, then the rain got serious.

I've become accustomed to the Lobos never being able to close the deal. Apparently the kicker is pretty good - cannot believe he missed the chip shot (plus the other two). Also not sure if our QB is that bad, the conditions really impacted him, and bad play calling. I thought football universe was aligned for another 1-pt Lobo victory.

Good luck against Cy-Fair. It knocked the Lobos out of the playoffs more than once when I was a kid.
PartyBear
I thought the kicker for Longview is one of the best in the state. Is he? Granted my source for this info is my Midway student son. Who was telling me this after he finally got home at 1 am.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.