Football
Sponsored by

Kaz hired by SMU

23,619 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Keyser Soze
BaylorRocks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Ethridge said:

Weird that Kaz wasn't Briles first or second choice for head of S&C, but he's the best in the business now at SMU.
I won Pinewood Derby one year. I am the best in the business.
GoldMind
zunooreo said:

ColomboLQ said:

zunooreo said:

Timbear said:

To say that Kaz was part of an alleged sexual assault problem at Baylor is crazy.
Not at all what I said. Just as I suspect that you are not saying the football program was full of rapists....right?
So what exactly did you mean when you said "Kaz WAS part of the problem that this program's culture had"?
Kaz WAS part of the problem that this program's culture had.

He WAS. This is a true statement.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
bearlyafarmer
Brian Ethridge said:

Weird that Kaz wasn't Briles first or second choice for head of S&C, but he's the best in the business now at SMU.
Even weirder that time passed between one event and the other. Or maybe skill development over time in a job just isn't possible? My goodness.
PervertedLittleTarts
bearlyafarmer said:

ColomboLQ said:

PervertedLittleTarts said:

ColomboLQ said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

Doc Holliday said:

Can you really blame Rhule though for letting Kaz go when Baylor essentially did nothing but sh*t on the guy and his coworkers?

Yes. That's an easy one. He hasn't replaced him with better and he doesn't seem to understand August climate in Texas.

Two questions:

1) How do you know he hasn't replaced him with better?

2) He doesn't understand Texas' August climate? What do you mean by that?

Our team was gased against Liberty. (And other teams) Reminded me of the Guy Morriss teams that needed "pickle juice".

Briles teams played faster, more plays and more go routes.

Didn't seem gased. That tells me, current S&G coach didn't properly prepare the team for the Texas heat (which means he wasn't better).

Maybe they focused on the strength side of S&C.

So you think when they were here throughout the entire Texas summer prior to the season, they didn't notice that it was hot? Or could it be that the other teams that were playing primarily 20-23 year olds were pushing around our 18-19 year olds?

Yes, Rhule has made no bones about the fact that the focus of S&C is primarily on strength and mass moreso than conditioning. And during the Cotton Bowl, we got to see firsthand what can happen when facing a bigger, stronger team.

To the first question, yes. The team wasn't conditioned as usual.

As for MSU. I recall a block in the back and a blocked field goal because the holder moved up one yard. Neither has to do with strength or "toughness". We score the TD on the interception if we do nothing.

I agree that there's no doubt we those were huge and unnecessary errors, but what you saw that day was a team with superior skill players (Baylor) get manhandled by a team with superior strength and mass. We couldn't run the football on them to save our lives, and so when we got up by three scores, we couldn't burn clock and put the game away because their defense was punching our offense in the mouth, which kept MSU in the game. And on the flip side, their offense was taking advantage of our defense who had worn down and suddenly couldn't stop them.

So I don't know how you missed it, but strength and toughness won the game that day.
Holy hell that is some serious revisionist history. Milli Vanilli would be proud of this post.

Is that a fact? Feel free to dispute.
Baylor did not run the ball that day because MSU overloaded the box (with 8-9 guys) to stop the run. Hence why Bryce Petty set an ALL TIME bowl game record for passing yards that day. Baylor lost because of a series of freak plays that all had to go MSU's way for them to win the game. If just 1 of those plays goes Baylor's way, we would still be celebrating that Cotton Bowl win today. I honestly thought you were trolling with your post (because I didn't think anyone could have actually watched that game and drawn these conclusions) but maybe you were being serious? I really hope not though.
Memo to all football coaches at all levels: Try, throughout every game your team ever plays, taking what the defense isn't giving you.

Sometimes you have to succeed at taking what the defense isn't giving you, such as when you are up 3 scores and need to burn clock, and want to avoid an embarrassing comeback.
ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ said:

ColomboLQ said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

Doc Holliday said:

Can you really blame Rhule though for letting Kaz go when Baylor essentially did nothing but sh*t on the guy and his coworkers?

Yes. That's an easy one. He hasn't replaced him with better and he doesn't seem to understand August climate in Texas.

Two questions:

Our team was gased against Liberty. (And other teams) Reminded me of the Guy Morriss teams that needed "pickle juice".

Didn't seem gased. That tells me, current S&G coach didn't properly prepare the team for the Texas heat (which means he wasn't better).

So you think when they were here throughout the entire Texas summer prior to the season, they didn't notice that it was hot? Or could it be that the other teams that were playing primarily 20-23 year olds were pushing around our 18-19 year olds?

Yes, Rhule has made no bones about the fact that the focus of S&C is primarily on strength and mass moreso than conditioning. And during the Cotton Bowl, we got to see firsthand what can happen when facing a bigger, stronger team.

As for MSU. I recall a block in the back and a blocked field goal because the holder moved up one yard. Neither has to do with strength or "toughness". We score the TD on the interception if we do nothing.

I agree that there's no doubt we those were huge and unnecessary errors, but what you saw that day was a team with superior skill players (Baylor) get manhandled by a team with superior strength and mass. We couldn't run the football on them to save our lives, and so when we got up by three scores, we couldn't burn clock and put the game away because their defense was punching our offense in the mouth, which kept MSU in the game. And on the flip side, their offense was taking advantage of our defense who had worn down and suddenly couldn't stop them.

So I don't know how you missed it, but strength and toughness won the game that day.
Holy hell that is some serious revisionist history. Milli Vanilli would be proud of this post.

Baylor did not run the ball that day because MSU overloaded the box (with 8-9 guys) to stop the run. Hence why Bryce Petty set an ALL TIME bowl game record for passing yards that day. Baylor lost because of a series of freak plays that all had to go MSU's way for them to win the game. If just 1 of those plays goes Baylor's way, we would still be celebrating that Cotton Bowl win today. I honestly thought you were trolling with your post (because I didn't think anyone could have actually watched that game and drawn these conclusions) but maybe you were being serious? I really hope not though.

MSU had 7 in the box the majority of the game. Talk about revisionist history. Strike one. So why weren't we able to run the ball, at all?
Let me put it this way so you can understand. MSU constantly had an extra guy in the box to stop the run, which Baylor really took advantage of with their continued use of play action passes, even when they hadn't attempted any runs. Baylor lit them up through the air. Would you make the equally dumb argument that North Carolina had an awesome secondary because Baylor didn't pass the ball during the Russel Athletic Bowl?
GoldMind
ColomboLQ said:

ColomboLQ said:

ColomboLQ said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

Doc Holliday said:

Two questions:

MSU had 7 in the box the majority of the game. Talk about revisionist history. Strike one. So why weren't we able to run the ball, at all?
Let me put it this way so you can understand. MSU constantly had an extra guy in the box to stop the run, which Baylor really took advantage of with their continued use of play action passes, even when they hadn't attempted any runs. Baylor lit them up through the air. Would you make the equally dumb argument that North Carolina had an awesome secondary because Baylor didn't pass the ball during the Russel Athletic Bowl?

NC wasn't going to take anything from us with their defense. Their defense was to outscore us.

We should have been able to run the ball against MSU. Like he said, sometimes you have to be able to beat them at what they aren't giving you.

You can blame the cotton bowl on a lot of things, the absence of a run game is what I always come back to.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Keyser Soze
ColomboLQ said:

ColomboLQ said:

ColomboLQ said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

Doc Holliday said:

Two questions:

MSU plays Quarters D - this may confuse you as the safeties play shallow, but they are 100% pass coverage.

You also said sometimes 9 in the box - that would mean two CBs to cover three WRs .... didn't happen
ColomboLQ
Keyser Soze said:

ColomboLQ said:

ColomboLQ said:

ColomboLQ said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

Doc Holliday said:

Two questions:

MSU plays Quarters D - this may confuse you as the safeties play shallow, but they are 100% pass coverage.

You also said sometimes 9 in the box - that would mean two CBs to cover three WRs .... didn't happen
I know they play quarters. They play an aggressive style of quarters that Baylor routinely exploited with play action passes. They came crashing down often. They played extra guys in the box to stop the run. Or are you saying that Pat Narduzzi has no clue on how to stop the pass? To the point of giving up an ALL TIME bowl game record? I'll give him a little more credit than that.
GoldMind
ColomboLQ said:

Keyser Soze said:

ColomboLQ said:

ColomboLQ said:

ColomboLQ said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

Doc Holliday said:

Two questions:

I know they play quarters. They play an aggressive style of quarters that Baylor routinely exploited with play action passes. They came crashing down often. They played extra guys in the box to stop the run. Or are you saying that Pat Narduzzi has no clue on how to stop the pass? To the point of giving up an ALL TIME bowl game record? I'll give him a little more credit than that.

Perhaps he knew that if we couldn't run on them, it wouldn't matter.
Malbec

Keyser Soze
ColomboLQ said:

Keyser Soze said:

ColomboLQ said:

ColomboLQ said:

ColomboLQ said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

Doc Holliday said:

Two questions:

Quarters D is more likely to have six in the box than eight.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.