Sermon at Prestonwood

30,887 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 80sBEAR
Stranger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What in the wide, wide world of sports happened to Rhule's sermon thread up at Prestonwood Baptist? It seemed to be causing some rational discussion. Did someone find it uncomfortable?
I'm a Bearbacker
PartyBear
I was curious as well. I think the conversation had turned to everyone who was commenting (including those who liked that he was preaching) acknowledging that he has to win soon to keep his job even if he does do some guest preaching at a mega church.
drahthaar
I want our head coach to do just what Matt did and do it well, like he did. Could be wrong, but my opinion is that Baylor will not settle for mediocrity on the football field. It's pretty much a lock that our coaching staff has this same mindset. The discussion on the other thread appeared to unveil the conviction that won-loss record was less important than religious fervor. This is not an either-or but a both-and, and there were some leaps across wide gulfs in comparing Matt with Grant in terms of football success. Both fine men; both excellent communicators and representatives of all that is central and right about BU. If there are doubts about this staff's future success in coaching here, why is that not open to discussion? The only accurate thing I see is that the jury is still out on this question.
BellCountyBear
The only question that really remains is whether we can win consistently without "bad dudes".
OsoCoreyell
witchmo said:

I want our head coach to do just what Matt did and do it well, like he did. Could be wrong, but my opinion is that Baylor will not settle for mediocrity on the football field. It's pretty much a lock that our coaching staff has this same mindset. The discussion on the other thread appeared to unveil the conviction that won-loss record was less important than religious fervor. This is not an either-or but a both-and, and there were some leaps across wide gulfs in comparing Matt with Grant in terms of football success. Both fine men; both excellent communicators and representatives of all that is central and right about BU. If there are doubts about this staff's future success in coaching here, why is that not open to discussion? The only accurate thing I see is that the jury is still out on this question.
I think it is perfectly fine to discuss Rhule's past performance and to speculate (even wildly and unsupportedly) about future performance on the football field. I DO think that there are many on this board with such an axe to grind over Prestonwood that the mere appearance of a football coach there is enough to make them say silly, nonsensical things that do little more than lay bare the writer's naked animus. FYI, "animus" is an attitude, not a body part.
la1037
BellCountyBear said:

The only question that really remains is whether we can win consistently without "bad dudes".
We have "bad dudes" now too... they just aren't very good or some might argue (including me) they are put in a system that is set up for failure.

UT, OU, TCU, UTSA, KSU, OSU's (etc.) bad dudes are just better than our bad dudes.

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/College-Football/2018/02/16/Two-Baylor-players-under-investigation-for-sexual-assault/8801518817271/

Matt Rhule preached at Prestonwood? Really? The BOR is his own personal PR firm. Disgusting how they will pump him up (including on this board) despite a huge face plant in year one. Their priorities are not winning or Baylor or the young women of Baylor. Their priority is saving face in any way possible.

BTW... I have no problem with Prestonwood. Its the BOR's that run the place where I have an issue.
"We are unaware of any situation where you personally had contact with anyone who directly reported to you being the victim of sexual assault or that you directly discouraged the victim of an alleged sexual assault from reporting to law enforcement or university officials. Nor are we aware of any situation where you played a student athlete who had been found responsible for sexual assault.”
- Chris Holmes, Baylor General Counsel
Johnny Bear
la1037 said:

BellCountyBear said:

We have "bad dudes" now too... they just aren't very good or some might argue (including me) they are put in a system that is set up for failure.

UT, OU, TCU, UTSA, KSU, OSU's (etc.) bad dudes are just better than our bad dudes.

How many successful, winning D1 football programs are there out there that don't have some "bad dudes"? I'd put that number at - let's see - oh, yeah - zero.
ArlingtonFarm Fingercuffs
BOR doesn't care about bad dudes. They just care when bad dudes get reported to judicial affairs and muck up the fantasy bubble narrative of Baylor's self-image.
GShack
Smh at threads being deleted.
Keyser Soze
Drunken hookup @ old main said:

BOR doesn't care about bad dudes. They just care when bad dudes get reported to judicial affairs and muck up the fantasy bubble narrative of Baylor's self-image.

Really really sure things getting reported to Judicial Affairs was not the problem .... actually not even close to that.

Stranger
. . . deleted threads make me think we're dialed into Pravda365.

Seriously, when did a little free speech harm anybody around here?

Makes me wonder who applied pressure?
I'm a Bearbacker
Keyser Soze
Stranger said:

This site is private property not a public forum.

Just a guess, but the drivel spewed by about a dozen CAB faithful is not beneficial to this community as a whole.

80sBEAR
Keyser Soze said:

Stranger said:

Just a guess, but the drivel spewed by about a dozen CAB faithful is not beneficial to this community as a whole.

Happy thoughts!!! Happy thoughts!!!

"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Keyser Soze
More like not needing to hear the same conspiracy theories again and again from this guy

80sBEAR
Keyser Soze said:

More like not needing to hear the same conspiracy theories again and again from this guy

Piss poor leadership does not necessarily mean conspiracy theory. I kinda like this one, Keyser.

-- Dr. David Garland
YoakDaddy
Keyser Soze said:

Stranger said:

Actually that thread had very little CAB drivel. The thread critiqued his shout out to Murff and not the content of his 20 minute sermon. To my recollection nobody questioned his spirituality, but cynically challenged the hiring process.

I criticized the fact that the theme was Man Up and that's what the BOR members who were in the audience should have done by being accountable to alumni, faculty, and stakeholders and the documented fact (look it up) that Murff as CFO wrecked Guaranty Bank to the tune of $3 billion dollars.
WILLIS
Stranger said:

I believe the point being emphasized is it belongs on other forums on the site. No problem discussing non football topics on non football appropriate forums like chit chat, politics, etc.
Tiny Elvis
But it got deleted, not moved, right?
bearlyafarmer
WILLIS said:

Stranger said:

I believe the point being emphasized is it belongs on other forums on the site. No problem discussing non football topics on non football appropriate forums like chit chat, politics, etc.
So Rhule doesn't actually coach football?
bearlyafarmer
Tiny Elvis said:

But it got deleted, not moved, right?
That's a way too pertinent question. Prepare to get hammered.
Stranger
WILLIS said:

Stranger said:

Au contrair, Mr. Dick Willis. Football is exactly where this belongs. Are you the one trying to get this deleted in the first place?

We were discussing the criteria that the BOR used when hiring Rhule as a coach. People are trying to determine if he is a football or a non football coach.

If a little light being shed on this subject is more that you can handle maybe you should wander back over to the comfort zone known as the Paid site
I'm a Bearbacker
Bill Blazejowski
Quote:

We were discussing the criteria that the BOR used when hiring Rhule as a coach.

The BOR hired him? I was under the impression that it was Mack Rhoades' hire all the way. He had interviewed him for the Mizzou job when he was AD there and wanted to hire him but had a lot of internal pressure to promote one of the coordinators. All BU media had reported that this was Mack's guy all the way.

Do you have insight into the BOR's role in the hiring process? It sounds like you have some inside information.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Bill Blazejowski said:

Quote:

The BOR hired him? I was under the impression that it was Mack Rhoades' hire all the way. He had interviewed him for the Mizzou job when he was AD there and wanted to hire him but had a lot of internal pressure to promote one of the coordinators. All BU media had reported that this was Mack's guy all the way.

Do you have insight into the BOR's role in the hiring process? It sounds like you have some inside information.
It was Mack that hired him, but don't let the conspiracy change.
Timbear
Any one who thinks the BOR doesn't approve everything before hand is in total denial.
Stranger
Bill Blazejowski said:

Quote:

You apparently don't know how the system works at Bear High. 32 huge egos have to weigh in on big hires like a football coach. Mack Rhoades knows he'll be fired the same day as little Matty, if and when that happens.
I'm a Bearbacker
Friscobear
Can we move this thread to Chit Chat?
β€œAt the end of the day, for 40 minutes, we just kicked their ass.”

- Mark Vital
BaylorProud77
Oh yes, happy happy happy. I don't even like them when they glow!
Stranger
Friscobear said:

Why?
It's about the football coach.
I'm a Bearbacker
80sBEAR
WILLIS said:

Stranger said:

Whatcha talkin' about WILLIS??? (Damn, that was just too easy.)

-- Dr. David Garland
Forest Bueller
Stranger said:

Friscobear said:

Why?

Yep.

Why would a football post be in chit chat. That's where you talk about brisket and such. That's chit chat.
RegentCoverup
Mack may have hired him.

But board members asked questions. If they didn't, there were certainly some candidates that were misled and spent time hearing questions that were only at best tangentially related to football.

I have a feeling if people knew the questions that were asked of candidates, they'd freak.

Rhule may end up winning football games, I don't know. But the hiring process wasn't exactly football driven let's just say that.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
D. C. Bear
I am sorry the thread was deleted because a number of posters were showing just how ignorant they are. I was looking forward to someone necroposting it when we go to a bowl game.
Judge
witchmo said:

The best thing Grant Teaff ever said was at the pre game prayer in 1972 or 73 when asked about the game. Grant told a national TV audience "I'd rather be playin than prayin" !

It's been my experience when Baylor coaches are on the hot seat they always pull the Jesus card to please the you know whats.
D. C. Bear
WILLIS said:

Stranger said:

Matt Rhule is a football topic. Even if the thread was not topical, it could have simply been moved to chit chat instead of deleted.
Friscobear
Stranger said:

Friscobear said:

Why?

Your intent may have been to discuss Rhule, but just like nearly every thread in this board it devolves into BOR, CMR or CAB bashing.

I think it's killing this board.

I like reading different positions but reading the same drivel on every thread from both ends of the spectrum is frustrating.
β€œAt the end of the day, for 40 minutes, we just kicked their ass.”

- Mark Vital

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.