Football
Sponsored by

Will we ever see Gold Helmets again?

5,721 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aliceinbubbleland
longtimebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As the late great Kern Tips used to say," Baylor is wearing their Golden Bonnets". It has come to my attention
that our Bears never once wore the Golden Bonnets this season. Not since the Bill Beall days have we never worn them. If Baylor ever had a tradition, it was GOLD HELMETS. I'm sick about this.
Jakedasnake
They didn't have the new vicis helmets in gold yet, from what I understand, they will have them next year.
- Jacob
contrario
It's amazing what helmets a college football team wears makes a grown adult "sick". Like seriously, what turns in life did you take that something as inconsequential as a football helmet makes you "sick"? I would suggest finding meaning in life if a helmet color makes you "sick" because you are seriously lacking any perspective if that makes you "sick".
Stranger
Jakedasnake said:

They didn't have the new vicis helmets in gold yet, from what I understand, they will have them next year.

There's at least a half-dozen schools that wore gold hats this season including some that had the new safety style. That excuse is total BS.

BUBear24
Stranger said:

Jakedasnake said:

There's at least a half-dozen schools that wore gold hats this season including some that had the new safety style. That excuse is total BS.

They have them in that color, think what he meant was the school bought the white/black, and was it green? helmets this year. Those things are like 1,500.00 a pop for those new helmets designed to lessen potential concussions. They should've gotten gold in lieu of one of the other colors but they've said they're purchasing them for next year.
Stranger
BUBear24 said:

Stranger said:

Jakedasnake said:

They have them in that color, think what he meant was the school bought the white/black, and was it green? helmets this year. Those things are like 1,500.00 a pop for those new helmets designed to lessen potential concussions. They should've gotten gold in lieu of one of the other colors but they've said they're purchasing them for next year.

So no one, in charge, was using their brain.
PartyBear
Did we buy multiple different versions of white helmets and black helmets etc. For example a set of white with Gold BUs, a set of white with Green BUs and a set of white with sailor Bear and a stripe. Or do we have some one putting new decal's etc on every helmet every week? I never see these decals look damaged by games end if they are just decals. They also look professionally done such as part of the manufacturing process. Just wondering. That also seems like a hell of alot of busy work.
Jakedasnake
PartyBear said:

Did we buy multiple different versions of white helmets and black helmets etc. For example a set of white with Gold BUs, a set of white with Green BUs and a set of white with sailor Bear and a stripe. Or do we have some one putting new decal's etc on every helmet every week? I never see these decals look damaged by games end if they are just decals. They also look professionally done such as part of the manufacturing process. Just wondering. That also seems like a hell of alot of busy work.
Jeff Barlow and crew replace the decals on the regular.
- Jacob
longtimebear
contrario said:

It's amazing what helmets a college football team wears makes a grown adult "sick". Like seriously, what turns in life did you take that something as inconsequential as a football helmet makes you "sick"? I would suggest finding meaning in life if a helmet color makes you "sick" because you are seriously lacking any perspective if that makes you "sick".
Thank you for your kind and thoughtful contribution. It is so nice of you.
hodedofome
contrario said:

He majored in fashion design at Baylor.
longtimebear
My brother-in-law, a stinking Longhorn fan, has said twice this season that Baylor without Gold Helmets just isn't right. So I told him " It's what the kids want !?! "

Wonder why the kids at Alabama, Michigan, Texas, USC, Florida St., etc. don't get to design their uniforms ?
And let's not forget Penn State.

I know I'm from a different generation than most on this board but still.....what's wrong with tradition?
drahthaar
longtimebear said:

My brother-in-law, a stinking Longhorn fan, has said twice this season that Baylor without Gold Helmets just isn't right. So I told him " It's what the kids want !?! "

Wonder why the kids at Alabama, Michigan, Texas, USC, Florida St., etc. don't get to design their uniforms ?

I know I'm from a different generation than most on this board but still.....what's wrong with tradition?

Nothing at all, if you have one and it's a good one.
BoonDockSaint
They wore gold jock straps this season if that makes you feel any better bruh....
BUbearinARK
here you go.

FormerFlash
longtimebear said:

Michigan moved to Jordan Brand to provide their players with trendier apparel. Florida State has newly designed uniforms, which are absolutely awesome btw. USC, Texas, and Alabama, have long, storied and rich histories of competing in the exact same uniforms year in and year out with very little to no change over generations. Baylor does not. Every team not at the absolute upper echelon of collegiate football prestige has adopted newly designed and generally out of the box alternate uniforms as a way of enhancing their competitive edge against those elite programs in recruiting. Just like the offenses and defenses have adapted over the year to improve competitive edge, so have the uniform designs. Complaining about this is like saying, "why aren't we still playing football games on a grass field in the middle of campus? That was the tradition way back when." Because any player any team actually wants to recruit is going to opt for teams playing in a stadium, that's why.

Ohio State has had the same historic look forever and even they have added in some weird looking alternates because that is what players want. Texas added that metallic orange longhorn logo on the side of their helmet. Even those with historic uniforms have begun to follow the trend. Again, no different from coaches like Saban starting to run spread offenses. Adapt and survive.

The gold helmets will be back. We moved to a brand new innovative helmet for the sake of our players brain safety and they're pricey. The chose to buy them in green, white, and black. I'm assuming the players had a say in that. Next year, when the budget is replenished, I'm sure they'll buy some gold helmets.
Sic Everyone.
Stranger
FormerFlash said:

longtimebear said:

Michigan moved to Jordan Brand to provide their players with trendier apparel. Florida State has newly designed uniforms, which are absolutely awesome btw. USC, Texas, and Alabama, have long, storied and rich histories of competing in the exact same uniforms year in and year out with very little to no change over generations. Baylor does not. Every team not at the absolute upper echelon of collegiate football prestige has adopted newly designed and generally out of the box alternate uniforms as a way of enhancing their competitive edge against those elite programs in recruiting. Just like the offenses and defenses have adapted over the year to improve competitive edge, so have the uniform designs. Complaining about this is like saying, "why aren't we still playing football games on a grass field in the middle of campus? That was the tradition way back when." Because any player any team actually wants to recruit is going to opt for teams playing in a stadium, that's why.

Ohio State has had the same historic look forever and even they have added in some weird looking alternates because that is what players want. Texas added that metallic orange longhorn logo on the side of their helmet. Even those with historic uniforms have begun to follow the trend. Again, no different from coaches like Saban starting to run spread offenses. Adapt and survive.

The gold helmets will be back. We moved to a brand new innovative helmet for the sake of our players brain safety and they're pricey. The chose to buy them in green, white, and black. I'm assuming the players had a say in that. Next year, when the budget is replenished, I'm sure they'll buy some gold helmets.

Little Matty apologist.

Doesn't make it right.
DanaDane
I'm still trying to figure out who Kern Tips is.
Lawbear
Made Bowl Game. Dang.

Recruiting going very well. Dang.

I got it - not having Gold helmets for one season proves everyone is a moron. Let's roll with that.

Stranger
DanaDane said:

You be better for it, if you knew.

Beat the Commodores
241Bear
Nebraska? A few tweaks but still just a generic N on the hat.
BUBBFAN
Stranger said:

DanaDane said:

You be better for it, if you knew.

Beat the Commodores

No kidding
Stranger
241Bear said:

Nebraska? A few tweaks but still just a generic N on the hat.

The N stands for knowledge
CTbruin
Some of us older fans still believe in tradition. Some of you youngsters don't.

Baylor will always be green and gold to me. Not black and gray.

Our new athletic department leadership seems to want their own traditions. And personally, methinks they could learn from the past and our tradition.
Waco1947
Gold Chrome is good. Throw back 50s gold was good too
Sampi82
Uniforms with all sports campus wide are now Nike. My understanding is this will include the same green and gold colors with all sports which hasn't been the case. Since a gold helmet was not included this year with the new more expensive helmets, my bet is the gold helmet color is changing somewhat or the final decision on the color was not made at the time the new helmets were ordered.

If the color is changing or was possibly changing when the new helmets were ordered, it would be a waste of money ordering the new helmets with the gold color used under the previous regime.
Stefano DiMera
You embrace the forward pass?
PartyBear
I dont have a problem with the HCs picking which shades of green and gold we use. But hell we have so many alt unis and I believe we are still Upper tier with Nike, I also dont see why we cant have different shades of those colors used in the same season? For example if we want to look like North Dakota State/Traditional Oregon uni one week and then look like classic Baylor green and gold the next, I dont see why we cant.
FormerFlash
Sampi82 said:

Uniforms with all sports campus wide are now Nike. My understanding is this will include the same green and gold colors with all sports which hasn't been the case. Since a gold helmet was not included this year with the new more expensive helmets, my bet is the gold helmet color is changing somewhat or the final decision on the color was not made at the time the new helmets were ordered.

If the color is changing or was possibly changing when the new helmets were ordered, it would be a waste of money ordering the new helmets with the gold color used under the previous regime.
Now that you mention this, I was hearing from a friend I trust that we will supposedly be in a totally different green and gold for next season. All having to do with the Nike contract and unifying the sports. Don't know if this is confirmed or not. Personally I love our football uniforms, the design, the options, and all the colors, that specific green and gold included. I really like our gold helmets as well. I'm just not hung up on us not having them for a season.
Sic Everyone.
Knight Bear
PartyBear said:

I dont have a problem with the HCs picking which shades of green and gold we use. But hell we have so many alt unis and I believe we are still Upper tier with Nike, I also dont see why we cant have different shades of those colors used in the same season? For example if we want to look like North Dakota State/Traditional Oregon uni one week and then look like classic Baylor green and gold the next, I dont see why we cant.

Branding/Marketing. That is 100% why we don't want to do this. If Nike research show it is best to have a consistent color scheme across all sports, I truly believe we should do it and not think twice in doing so.
PartyBear
As long as it isnt a lame version of our colors. But nevertheless, Oregon has all sorts of colored uniforms as do we. Oregon has some alt unis that have neither of their school colors on the uni. So I doubt marketing research shows this.
StatMan
Millenial kids dig the white or black helmets at Baylor. I'm a traditionalist, and prefer gold helmets, like any Baylor alumnus 50 and older.
contrario
longtimebear said:

Our tradition in gold helmets is 100 years of sucking with a few decent seasons. Our tradition is not comparable to the blue bloods.
No Longer Gold
Not that there should be any kind of correlation between winning and having respect for a program's traditions, but in my 45 years on this rock the Longhorns have exactly ONE more NC, ONE MORE Heisman, and ONE more big 12 championship than Baylor.

In what way does that give the bonghorns more right to stay consistent to their traditions, legacy, and brand than Baylor?

The exaggeration of all things Asstown, and the victim mentality of BU fans is insane.
BUbearinARK
241Bear
DubDub said:

Not that there should be any kind of correlation between winning and having respect for a program's traditions, but in my 45 years on this rock the Longhorns have exactly ONE more NC, ONE MORE Heisman, and ONE more big 12 championship than Baylor.

Baylor and UT have been playing football for more than 45 years. Just because we don't remember it doesn't make it irrelevant. And I am NO fan of the horns.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.