Story Poster
Photo by Jim Black
Baylor Football

Matt Rhule talks about his decision to stay at Baylor

January 10, 2019

Coach Matt Rhule joined "You Make the Call" on Thursday night to talk about his decision to remain the Baylor Bears head football coach.

Discussion from...

Matt Rhule talks about his decision to stay at Baylor

24,437 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Timbear
Sicemball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very good interview. We are lucky to have Rhule
BUBBFAN
Sicemball said:

Very good interview. We are lucky to have Rhule
I thought so also.
4th and Inches
Appreciate the interview Smoak!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Timbear
Rhule is in the business of coaching football. He has his own dreams and goals. He is an accomplished and persuasive speaker. The best we've ever heard. We know only this, that he is here for 2019, and he is getting paid to win games, so he better do it. Don't fall in love with what and how he speaks. His actions are all that count.
bear2be2
Timbear said:

Rhule is in the business of coaching football. He has his own dreams and goals. He is an accomplished and persuasive speaker. The best we've ever heard. We know only this, that he is here for 2019, and he is getting paid to win games, so he better do it. Don't fall in love with what and how he speaks. His actions are all that count.
If you truly believed this, you wouldn't have *****ed half as much as you have the past two years, as Rhule's actions have completely flipped the national narrative surrounding Baylor's program in an unbelievably short amount of time.
hodedofome
bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

If you truly believed this, you wouldn't have *****ed half as much as you have the past two years, as Rhule's actions have completely flipped the national narrative surrounding Baylor's program in an unbelievably short amount of time.

It would have been the same even if Briles stayed. Nobody talks about Tennessee or Michigan State anymore. Over time people move on.
bear2be2
hodedofome said:

bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

It would have been the same even if Briles stayed. Nobody talks about Tennessee or Michigan State anymore. Over time people move on.
You can't possibly believe this. If Baylor had taken the head-in-the-sand approach and done nothing, it would have been absolutely crucified. And had it somehow survived that onslaught, the next off-the-field incident -- and there would have almost certainly been one -- would have put our program in the ground for good.
BluesBear
Wow. Aren't we so lucky he decided to stay at Baylor

I went into my bosses office and told him that I wasn't gonna take the job I wasn't offered, but interviewed for, by our competitor. He told me to shut the **** up and get out of his office.

That's what Rhodes needed to do.
Rick85
So we can expect this attitude and behavior every year. I wish all his kids would transfer if they get a chance to start somewhere else, then Rhule might understand why COMITTMENT is important.
Timbear
Rhule has no idea how he has undermined the support he finally earned with the bowl win.
LIB,MR BEARS
band wagon fans gripe about what they view a a lack of commitment. that's rich
MoonshineJones
Listen, the REAL question is why the heck are all of you so angry? We have people in the NATIONAL FRIGGIN FOOTBALL LEAGUE showing interest in the coach CURRENTLY heading our program! The same coach that OPENLY PROFESSES THAT HE WANTS TO STAY AT BAYLOR - and that you are all pissed at! Come on guys, you sound like those dip****s from Austin and College station. Chill out and enjoy the ride!
boognish_bear
Strange that he talks about being transparent and then talks about talking to teams that the public doesn't know about.

I think he's done a remarkable job in a rough situation that most coaches will never face. I appreciate what he's done. I wish he wanted to stay...but don't fault him for wanting to move up.

I'm glad that we get at least one more year of stability. I think if he can recruit one more strong class and have an 8+ win season our program will be in a much more stable spot to fade him leaving next year than we would have this year.
Dman
bear2be2 said:

hodedofome said:

bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

You can't possibly believe this. If Baylor had taken the head-in-the-sand approach and done nothing, it would have been absolutely crucified. And had it somehow survived that onslaught, the next off-the-field incident -- and there would have almost certainly been one -- would have put our program in the ground for good.

Simply and factually incorrect. Our BoR remains intact because they controlled the narrative on an issue that was Much larger than football and answered to NO ONE for their failures. Briles could have ridden this out had he been given the same latitude: "look at us...we have fixed our mistakes..all is good.". Versus panic and self preservation.

I can walk and chew gum at the same time. Rhule had nothing to do with Briles, I supported Rhule from day 1, and frankly am glad he stayed. But he needs to get his **** together and stay...or go. This yearly flirt will kill us with recruits.
bear2be2
Timbear said:

Rhule has no idea how he has undermined the support he finally earned with the bowl win.
If you're talking about people like you, PartyBear, Krieg, etc., he probably doesn't give a ***** Your "support" wasn't there when he and the program really needed it and only begrudgingly came once continuing to doubt his abilities started making you look stupid. Now that he's got the program back on solid ground, he doesn't need people like you to like him. Your carnival barking no longer has a captive audience.
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

Strange that he talks about being transparent and then talks about talking to teams that the public doesn't know about.

I think he's done a remarkable job in a rough situation that most coaches will never face. I appreciate what he's done. I wish he wanted to stay...but don't fault him for wanting to move up.

I'm glad that we get at least one more year of stability. I think if he can recruit one more strong class and have an 8+ win season our program will be in a much more stable spot to fade him leaving next year than we would have this year.
He was talking about being transparent with administration, his staff and his players ... AKA the people that really matter. The public doesn't need to know every little thing that goes on behind the scenes.
boognish_bear
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

He was talking about being transparent with administration, his staff and his players ... AKA the people that really matter. The public doesn't need to know every little thing that goes on behind the scenes.

Then why even mention in a public interview on the radio that he's been talking to other teams that people don't know about? Why not just sit on that one?
bear2be2
Dman said:

bear2be2 said:

hodedofome said:

bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

Simply and factually incorrect. Our BoR remains intact because they controlled the narrative on an issue that was Much larger than football. Briles could have ridden this out had he been given the same latitude: "look at us...we have fixed our mistakes..all is good.". Versus panic and self preservation.

I can walk and chew gum at the same time. Rhule had nothing to do with Briles, I supported Rhule from day 1, and frankly am glad he stayed. But he needs to get his **** together and stay...or go. This yearly flirt will kill us with recruits.
Our Board of Regents isn't intact. Several of the principal figures have rolled off and more will in the not too distant future. I, too, wish more had been done to hold that group accountable for its role, but pointing out one leadership void doesn't excuse another. And conveniently forgotten in the Briles' clan conspiracy theories is that the Pepper Hamilton Report painted Baylor's issues as a university-wide problem and the recommendations, which were accepted and implemented by the administration, bore that out. To act as though Briles' firing was the only measure taken to address our scandal is absurd. Briles' was one of several heads to roll ... and he had himself to blame for a running Power 5 program like a 1990s high school football movie.

Lastly, worry about Rhule's recruiting when it starts to suffer. Until then, you're swinging at scarecrows.
PartyBear
bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

If you're talking about people like you, PartyBear, Krieg, etc., he probably doesn't give a ***** Your "support" wasn't there when he and the program really needed it and only begrudgingly came once continuing to doubt his abilities starting making you look stupid. Now that he's got the program back on solid ground, he doesn't need people like you to like him. Your carnival barking no longer has a captive audience.

Stop being a piece of shxt. I have donated to the program and have been at every home game under Rhule with the exception of the Liberty game. I have a damn right to be critical of things that deserve criticism. Have you done more than spout off naivete on this site as your "support"?
Dman
bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

bear2be2 said:

hodedofome said:

bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

Simply and factually incorrect. Our BoR remains intact because they controlled the narrative on an issue that was Much larger than football. Briles could have ridden this out had he been given the same latitude: "look at us...we have fixed our mistakes..all is good.". Versus panic and self preservation.

Our Board of Regents isn't intact. Several of the principal figures have rolled off and more will in the not too distant future. I, too, wish more had been done to hold that group accountable for its role, but pointing out one leadership void doesn't excuse another. And conveniently forgotten in the Briles' clan conspiracy theories is that the Pepper Hamilton Report painted Baylor's issues as a university-wide problem and the recommendations, which were accepted and implemented by the administration, bore that out. To act as though Briles firing was the only measure taken to address our scandal is absurd. Briles' was one of several heads to roll ... and he had himself to blame for a running Power 5 program like a 1990s high school football movie.

Wait. Are you seriously implying that it's a conspiracy theory that this was a campus wide issue?

If so...thank you. Your fake "I wanted accountability for all" is showing through in true colors.

Mistakes were made by all. Accountability was made by some..others escaped only because they answered to no one. Th fact that some regents simply have termed off and moved on is NOT accountability. It's hypocrisy that any remain.

Rhule had nothing to do with any of it. Adults realize this and can support Rhule while calling out the hypocrisy. But don't re-write history to fit your narrative. It's old.

bear2be2
Dman said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

bear2be2 said:

hodedofome said:

bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

Our Board of Regents isn't intact. Several of the principal figures have rolled off and more will in the not too distant future. I, too, wish more had been done to hold that group accountable for its role, but pointing out one leadership void doesn't excuse another. And conveniently forgotten in the Briles' clan conspiracy theories is that the Pepper Hamilton Report painted Baylor's issues as a university-wide problem and the recommendations, which were accepted and implemented by the administration, bore that out. To act as though Briles firing was the only measure taken to address our scandal is absurd. Briles' was one of several heads to roll ... and he had himself to blame for a running Power 5 program like a 1990s high school football movie.

Wait. Are you seriously implying that it's a conspiracy theory that this was a campus wide issue?

If so...thank you. Your fake "I wanted accountability for all" is showing through in true colors.

Mistakes were made by all. Accountability was made by some..others escaped only because they answered to no one..

Rhule had nothing to do with any of it. But don't re-write history to fit your narrative. It's old.
If that's what you just took from that, I question your ability to read. The conspiracy theory is the absurd notion that Briles was the scapegoat for the university's sins. He took the fall for his own significant role in our scandal. That others weren't held accountable for theirs is a different issue entirely.

I'll listen to and agree all day with the latter point ... but not from folks who think Briles was an innocent scapegoat.

Unlike many here, I have no side in the great CAB vs. BOR debate. I think they're all failures as far as Baylor and its mission's concerned. I wish we'd cleaned house completely.
Dman
bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

bear2be2 said:

hodedofome said:

bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

Mistakes were made by all. Accountability was made by some..others escaped only because they answered to no one..

Rhule had nothing to do with any of it. But don't re-write history to fit your narrative. It's old.
If that's what you just took from that, I question your ability to read. The conspiracy theory is the absurd notion that Briles was the scapegoat for the university's sins. He took the fall for his own significant role in our scandal. That others weren't held accountable for theirs is a different issue entirely.

I'll listen to and agree all day with the latter point ... but not from folks who think Briles was an innocent scapegoat.

Fact. Briles is gone.
Fact. BoR largely remains, had options, chose to panic. hypocrisy.
Fact. Rhule is here, had nothing to do with it, has done a great job, but needs to either stay..or go.

Everything else is agenda based dribble.
bear2be2
Dman said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

bear2be2 said:

hodedofome said:

bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

Fact. Briles is gone.
Fact. BoR largely remains, hypocrisy.
Fact. Rhule is here, had nothing to do with it, has done a great job, but needs to either stay..or go.

The difference in your "agenda" and mine is you think "Briles could have ridden this out had he been given the same latitude (as the BoR)," and I think they should have all been ****-canned. I'm not choosing either side. Both were derelict of their leadership duties and responsible in their own ways for what happened here. And what happened to one side doesn't alter my opinion of the other. In your case, it's pretty clear that your opinion of the BoR and this topic in general is driven by Briles' fate and not some noble quest for justice.

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to take seriously calls for accountability from a group of people angry that Briles was held accountable. You won't ever hear me cry about the heads that have rolled. You'll often hear me say more should have. That the BoR largely skated for their part in our scandal doesn't diminish Briles' still significant role.
BUmoneymaker
Rhule: Ill probably be flirting with other positions every year now so get used to it, its great cause our players are doing so well!

Fans: wt ef (facepalm)

Recruits: other offers starting to look good since i have no idea whether that guy will be here when its my turn to play.

Other b12 coaches: why would you go commit to baylol when that coach will be gone and we are here to stay and develop you!

Rhule: whats next!

Fans: um, seriously *** please show yourself out mr 'i really only want an nfl job'. I cant get excited knowing you want to leave and will bolt as soon as a team lets you pick coordinators. Players deserve better

Rhule: this is going to happen every year, we're special!

Blindly loyal fans: yay he smiled at me at the grocery store checkout, jezus im so happy we get him 12 more months we are so blessed, when he leaves we should bake him a pie!

Fans: who the ef does this guy think he is, ok hes starting to piss me off now, so are his followers

Rhoades: im thrilled!

Mulkey: i win championships and recruit my arse off and this guy wants to bolt after 2 yrs with his "epic turnaround" legacy

Drew: what time is bible study, im here for the long haul

Cab: still counting my $$$, i knew i should have stipulated larger bills than b-$2-b, whos this ruler guy i keep reading about sitting in my stadium anyway

Bor: hes so busy counting those $2 bills hahah! We win!

Brewer: im not gonna break my neck running like seth, but im also not gonna hang my hat on this guy who might not be here next year. Since my dad talked to fat patty and he needs a qb, and has a hell of a tenure im going purple this summer

Rhule: trust the..

Fans: stfu with this crap seriously

Im out

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
Mitch Henessey
BUmoneymaker said:

Rhule: Ill probably be flirting with other positions every year now so get used to it, its great cause our players are doing so well!

Fans: wt ef (facepalm)

Recruits: other offers starting to look good since i have no idea whether that guy will be here when its my turn to play.

Other b12 coaches: why would you go commit to baylol when that coach will be gone and we are here to stay and develop you!

Rhule: whats next!

Fans: um, seriously *** please show yourself out mr 'i really only want an nfl job'. I cant get excited knowing you want to leave and will bolt as soon as a team lets you pick coordinators. Players deserve better

Rhule: this is going to happen every year, we're special!

Blindly loyal fans: yay he smiled at me at the grocery store checkout, jezus im so happy we get him 12 more months we are so blessed, when he leaves we should bake him a pie!

Fans: who the ef does this guy think he is, ok hes starting to piss me off now, so are his followers

Rhoades: im thrilled!

Mulkey: i win championships and recruit my arse off and this guy wants to bolt after 2 yrs with his "epic turnaround" legacy

Drew: what time is bible study, im here for the long haul

Cab: still counting my $$$, i knew i should have stipulated larger bills than b-$2-b, whos this ruler guy i keep reading about sitting in my stadium anyway

Bor: hes so busy counting those $2 bills hahah! We win!

Brewer: im not gonna break my neck running like seth, but im also not gonna hang my hat on this guy who might not be here next year. Since my dad talked to fat patty and he needs a qb, and has a hell of a tenure im going purple this summer

Rhule: trust the..

Fans: stfu with this crap seriously

Im out
I hope for your sake that you were drinking a hell of a lot before you composed this gibberish.
Golden Helmet
Reminds me of offensive lineman John Turnpaugh calling a press conference to announce he was staying for his senior year @ BU.

Jerry Hill and Midge showed up for the announcement.

Grizz Air
The ultimate spin doctor
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
Dman
bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

bear2be2 said:

hodedofome said:

bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

Fact. Briles is gone.
Fact. BoR largely remains, hypocrisy.

The difference in your "agenda" and mine is you think "Briles could have ridden this out had he been given the same latitude (as the BoR)," and I think they should have all been ****-canned. I'm not choosing either side. Both were derelict of their leadership duties and responsible in their own ways for what happened here. And what happened to one side doesn't alter my opinion of the other. In your case, it's pretty clear that your opinion of the BoR and this topic in general is driven by Briles' fate and not some noble quest for justice.

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to take seriously calls for accountability from a group of people angry that Briles was held accountable. You won't ever hear me cry about the heads that have rolled. You'll often hear me say more should have. That the BoR largely skated for their part in our scandal doesn't diminish Briles' still significant role.

The statement was that, like Michigan St and others, Baylor had options. This is a fact. Briles didn't cover up rape. This is a media troll driven narrative by morons He'd be in jail. There is a difference between covering up and permitting crimes, and needing to have more discipline. See Penn State.

Briles could have been allowed to transform his department under the watchful eye of outside and internal third parties. Just like the BoR got to do...then brag about being so responsible. Just like the BOR.

He's gone. It's irrelevant now. But like I said, big boys can look at this sitaution and realize Rhule had nothing to do with it. He's judged on his own actions. Actions like flirting with leaving every year.

BUBBFAN
TrustTheProcess said:

Wow. Aren't we so lucky he decided to stay at Baylor

I went into my bosses office and told him that I wasn't gonna take the job I wasn't offered, but interviewed for, by our competitor. He told me to shut the **** up and get out of his office.

That's what Rhodes needed to do.
One difference, You would not have told your boss you were interviewing, who you were interviewing with, and why before you did it.
Grizz Air
PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

If you're talking about people like you, PartyBear, Krieg, etc., he probably doesn't give a ***** Your "support" wasn't there when he and the program really needed it and only begrudgingly came once continuing to doubt his abilities starting making you look stupid. Now that he's got the program back on solid ground, he doesn't need people like you to like him. Your carnival barking no longer has a captive audience.

Stop being a piece of shxt. I have donated to the program and have been at every home game under Rhule with the exception of the Liberty game. I have a damn right to be critical of things that deserve criticism. Have you done more than spout off naivete on this site as your "support"?

You are really lucky you missed that Liberty game. Terrible.
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
LIB,MR BEARS
I've had people tell me they are interviewing. As long as it is for them to better themselves, I always wish them luck, not inside my head but to them verbally. As a matter of fact, I have a young man whose last day is next week. He told me back in December he might have an opportunity for something bigger and better. He also is taking another with him. That one blindsided me because I knew nothing about it. Both young men will be in positions that offer a chance to make more money and have more opportunities for advancement. For me, next man up.
LTbear
Timbear said:

Only from the whiners who are just desperately looking for things to ***** about though.
DS Bear
I think he was very honest in the interview and told us that, basically, one of the years, maybe next, it's going to be the Giants or the Steelers and God is going to tell him that it's time to go. I'm just glad that God apparently doesn't talk to Coach Mulkey like that. The Tennessee job, the LSU job, La Tech and Texas (twice) have all come open since she's been here but no calls on the golden phone.
Timbear
Rhule is setting up his annual drive to leave Baylor by framing it as a success by the players. Not a quote, but a paraphrase, " it's because y'all are doing so good that makes me want to do all I can to leave ". This guy is slick.
boognish_bear
being a good politician is helpful in situations like this

I think him casually dropping in that there have been other opportunities for him that the public doesn't know about is a subtle way to imply "hey...I've got other opportunities out here but I'm choosing to stay with y'all."

Keeping the home contingent happy and loyal while out shopping for other jobs is a tight rope to walk. He's good at it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.