Football
Sponsored by

Fox Drops Big 12 Championship Game

10,975 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Banned BarleyMcDougal
CHP Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Per Barking Carnival, Fox will not pick up 2019, 21 and 23 games. Reasons are money and competing with ACC and SEC games. Further in the article, "This appears to be yet another Canary in the Coal Mine for the long-term survival of the Big 12. The league is a mile wide and 6 feet deep, in terms of being a media draw." "That's what can happen when almost 70% of all the TV households in your conference reside in one state."
boognish_bear
Paging Facebook Sports....
Bear8084
Read ESPN is more than likely to pick it up.
BylrFan
They will probably do a rotating deal with Fox and ESPN
Dman
God I wish we had a real commissioner.
REvansBU71
Just what is a normal day for the Big 12 Commissioner?
(I started to use the term "normal Conference Commissioner", but I caught myself just in time.)
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
Aberzombie1892
BylrFan said:

ESPN already owned the rights on the alternating years, so that's out.
Aberzombie1892
The Big 12 title game would have huge ratings with Texas v. Oklahoma - 2018 title game viewership was up 72% over the 2017 title game - but any other outcome would be relatively unattractive from a rights holder standpoint, both in abstract and compared to how much rights to it would cost - the Big 12 wants at least $20M - as compared to competing games.
BearFan33
The b12 is the worst run of the p5 conferences. Bowelsby has been and continues to be terrible.
OsoCoreyell
BearFan33 said:

The b12 is the worst run of the p5 conferences. Bowelsby has been and continues to be terrible.
Blowsme should be fired.
Michibear
BearFan33 said:

No doubt the leadership of the B12 is very, very, very bad, but the Pac 12 is even worse. Really.
Michibear
Aberzombie1892 said:

BylrFan said:

ESPN already owned the rights on the alternating years, so that's out.
Looks like ESPN will likely get the games.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/fox-big-12-championship-game-rights-espn.html
PartyBear
Isn't Fox Sports also owned by Disney?
CTbruin
Dman said:

God I wish we had a real commissioner.
Spends most of his time cleaning the toilets in austin................
YoakDaddy
Raycom.
whitetrash
YoakDaddy said:

Raycom.
Now owned by Gray Television, which means it will be on KWTX.
robby44
PartyBear said:

Yes but they are selling off the Fox Regional channels Fox Sports SW etc
Michibear
robby44 said:

PartyBear said:

Yes but they are selling off the Fox Regional channels Fox Sports SW etc
As of today, no one is interested at the price Disney needs/wants, so DOJ may let them spin the RSNs into a separate company still owned by Disney (though not controlled by it).

https://nypost.com/2019/01/14/doj-may-allow-disney-to-spin-off-of-foxs-regional-sports-networks/
RegentCoverup
CHP Bear said:

Per Barking Carnival, Fox will not pick up 2019, 21 and 23 games. Reasons are money and competing with ACC and SEC games. Further in the article, "This appears to be yet another Canary in the Coal Mine for the long-term survival of the Big 12. The league is a mile wide and 6 feet deep, in terms of being a media draw." "That's what can happen when almost 70% of all the TV households in your conference reside in one state."
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Other than an easy win, there is no need to have two teams each from Oklahoma and Kansas. That was a flaw of the Big8 that was never fixed. Force them to play one another and they can play us, but we would be better off playing Arizona, USC, or a team in the South.

OsoCoreyell
We have to pick off one of the teams from the Pac 12. Arizona and Arizona State are real possibilities.
RegentCoverup
Oklahoma started the pissing match about penalizing us, they can handle the blowback.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

CHP Bear said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Other than an easy win, there is no need to have two teams each from Oklahoma and Kansas. That was a flaw of the Big8 that was never fixed. Force them to play one another and they can play us, but we would be better off playing Arizona, USC, or a team in the South.
They could say the same thing about having 4 teams from Texas. No other conference has population issues like the Big 12. Nobody watches football on the west coast, but they do have the numbers.

Football needs to blend scheduling to fix the longterm problem. We'd benefit from a basketball-like "showdown" with the SEC. Or, we need to go get Nebraska and another team back in the fold.
RegentCoverup
BarleyMcDougal said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

CHP Bear said:

They could say the same thing about having 4 teams from Texas. No other conference has population issues like the Big 12. Nobody watches football on the west coast, but they do have the numbers.

Football needs to blend scheduling to fix the longterm problem. We'd benefit from a basketball-like "showdown" with the SEC. Or, we need to go get Nebraska and another team back in the fold.
Some combination of Nebraska/Missouri/Arky wouldn't be bad. But right now we have five teams that simply don't put eyeballs on the TV sets and that's why the game is being dropped. They simply don't carry their weight. There are enough eyeballs on TV sets in Texas to carry Baylor. We need to play relevant teams in the eyes of the network. Four teams with a collective population of 30 million easily beats 5 teams with a collective population of 8 million.

The simple truth is we get nothing financially out of playing: Okla, Okla St, Iowa St. Kansas, Kansas State. Just not enough market share in those markets to carry an advertiser.

I say we pick two of those that are best and play them each year.
RegentCoverup
BarleyMcDougal said:

They could say the same thing about having 4 teams from Texas.
Actually, no they couldn't. Texas has a population of 30 million. This is just about getting people to watch, giving them ratings and selling ads. The population of Kansas and Oklahoma combined is only 6 million and they have 4 teams.

How is that equal?
Banned BarleyMcDougal
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Actually, no they couldn't. Texas has a population of 30 million. This is just about getting people to watch, giving them ratings and selling ads. The population of Kansas and Oklahoma combined is only 6 million and they have 4 teams.

How is that equal?
UT and A&M already own every market in the state. You could add A&M and drop every other team from Texas out of the Big 12 and the ratings would be the same. That's my point. Oklahoma owns every market in Oklahoma. Kansas owns every market in Kansas, which is really just KC.

The Big 12 needs new blood or an infusion of old members to get jumpstarted again. The issue is in perception. We all are culturally tied more to the south than to the west or to the north. Midwesterners and Southerners have no business being in a conference together. Always been an odd marriage.

OldBurlyBear86
BarleyMcDougal said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

How is that equal?
UT and A&M already own every market in the state. You could add A&M and drop every other team from Texas out of the Big 12 and the ratings would be the same. That's my point. Oklahoma owns every market in Oklahoma. Kansas owns every market in Kansas, which is really just KC.

The Big 12 needs new blood or an infusion of old members to get jumpstarted again. The issue is in perception. We all are culturally tied more to the south than to the west or to the north. Midwesterners and Southerners have no business being in a conference together. Always been an odd marriage.

Witchita counts, largest City in Kansas. Decent ratings up their.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
OldBurlyBear86 said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

How is that equal?

Witchita counts, largest City in Kansas. Decent ratings up their.
Yeah you're right. A decently sized city for sure.

I don't particularly care for either UNM or Nevada/UNLV, but they'd add eyeballs. Nevada is one of the fastest growing states and has the Vegas market. New Mexico is a large enough state that it would be worth pulling the Lobos into the fold.

Neither school has cachet, but it would develop over time. I still can't believe we haven't added Tulane to the conference.
Redbrickbear
Michibear said:

BearFan33 said:

No doubt the leadership of the B12 is very, very, very bad, but the Pac 12 is even worse. Really.
Yep

Hard to believe but the PAC is worse.

They are spending millions on a San Fran headquaters they can't afford and keep getting left out of the play off.
Redbrickbear
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

The simple truth is we get nothing financially out of playing: Okla, Okla St, Iowa St. Kansas, Kansas State. Just not enough market share in those markets to carry an advertiser.

I say we pick two of those that are best and play them each year.
I always thought it would have been smart to just add Colorado State and New Mexico once the Big 12 lost members.

Big names? no

But it would have brought in two more states and 8 million more people....outside of the Texas footprint.

Obviously the best option would be to move Southeast and get some big names or big population centers...but I just don't see where any expansion options there are doable.
ElCerritoBear
Just fold the big 12 10 teams into the SEC.

That's two 12 team divisions.

one out of conference game per team and 11 conference games.

and then a championship game.

Problem solved.

UR welcome.
Redbrickbear
Whats actually pretty strange is that the Big 12 championship game this year was the 2nd most watched championship game and the 4th most watched game of the year.

Might be an issue of the Big 12 office asking to much for one game.....$20 million is what they are asking right now for it.

VideoBear
Redbrickbear said:

Whats actually pretty strange is that the Big 12 championship game this year was the 2nd most watched championship game and the 4th most watched game of the year.

Might be an issue of the Big 12 office asking to much for one game.....$20 million is what they are asking right now for it.

This.

Ratings are not the problem for the conference. Our games deliver ratings higher than both the ACC and PAC 12 typically. Asking price is probably the issue.
OsoCoreyell
I want this guy to renegotiate Blowsme's contract (or fire him).

https://blog.blackswanltd.com/the-edge/2015/04/how-to-deal-with-the-worlds-toughest-negotiators/
RegentCoverup
Bowlsby still needs to go.

He is little more than an bureaucrat controlled by the unelected.

YoakDaddy
Redbrickbear said:

I'm thinking more like since its preordained to be OU/UT Part 2 every year, the LHN (ESPN) wanted rights.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.