Football
Sponsored by

Eleasah Anderson

21,608 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Grizz Air
TheDom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dman said:

TheDom said:

EasyE said:

Is this thread about Anderson? Whatever happened to HIM?
Well this is just the tip of the iceberg. You haven't heard?

Going to be mass exodus and Baylor might not get any recruits in 2020 class. Rhule interviewed with the J-E-T-S!

Yawm. When All you have left is drama and exaggeration left...you've lost, it's probably best just to stop posting. It's mildly amusing. But highlights the desperation of your position.

Go back and read my posts. Slowly. If reading comprehension is a weakness. Ask for help from someone nearby. Find one post I mention "mass exodus" or "we won't get any recruits". Copy and paste. Or just quit making yourself look juvenile.

Your choice
No, you lose an argument when you can't provide one piece of evidence or standard for your theory. Even a real time testimonial of Mr. Compton went against your theory.

So please. Come with any evidence or define your standards of "stability" and "could be better". We will wait ......

Dman
TheDom said:

Dman said:

TheDom said:

EasyE said:

Going to be mass exodus and Baylor might not get any recruits in 2020 class. Rhule interviewed with the J-E-T-S!

Yawm. When All you have left is drama and exaggeration left...you've lost, it's probably best just to stop posting. It's mildly amusing. But highlights the desperation of your position.

Go back and read my posts. Slowly. If reading comprehension is a weakness. Ask for help from someone nearby. Find one post I mention "mass exodus" or "we won't get any recruits". Copy and paste. Or just quit making yourself look juvenile.

Your choice
No, you lose an argument when you can't provide one piece of evidence or standard for your theory. Even a real time testimonial of Mr. Compton went against your theory.

So please. Come with any evidence or define your standards of "stability" and "could be better". We will wait ......

As I thought. Not a single post you could find where I claim "mass exodus" or "no recruits".

Didn't think so.

So much drama and hyperbole. Again..only losing arguments lower to that need.

Dman
TheDom said:

Dman said:

TheDom said:

EasyE said:

Your choice

All I've said is that if CMR interviews every year, the instability year after year will impact SOME...not all, not masses...some recruits.

So now let's boil down your argument.

1. Mr Compton's is a current recruit, they looked at things, still chose Baylor, therefore it has to be how ALL will look at it and choose. I don't have to repeat myself, I'm thrilled he's on here. I'm thrilled they chose Baylor. But he's one recruit. Even He will not argue every recruit looks at things the same

2. There will not be a single "Mr Compton" who will come on to this forum and give you the quote you want. So you now think that person doesn't exist?! Laughable.

My points:
3. There's not a single P5 program who would want their successful head coach, that they are building around (much less one coming off a scandal) to put the program on notice....EVERY YEAR. But it's perfect for Baylor. Really???!

4. High school coaches and families from around the country will tell you recruits want to know the program they choose is stable. A coach who is pursuing them reflects that program. EVERYTHING changes under a new one. Systems, schemes, and types of players needed. New coach. New preferences.

I could go in and on. So, you see my friend, for my argument to be true.

-coaching stability is important and instability is NOT a positive. Only one recruit has to chose another school due to this factor for my argument to be true. This factor has played a role in recruits over the course of time from around the country. It's not new.

-for your theory to be true, NOT A SINGLE RECRUIT cares...and will never factor this into consideration.

Again...die on that hill if you want.
SATXBear
Dman said:

SATXBear said:

ColomboLQ said:

SATXBear said:

ColomboLQ said:

ccompton3 said:

Dman said:

BUBear24 said:

Dman said:

BUBear24 said:

I do find this article interesting. Was googling average FBS coach years at one school- albeit 2017 but I'm sure still rings true today. 68% of coaches having been at a school 5 years or less.

https://www.businessinsider.com/college-football-players-coaches-recruiting-2017-12

I could believe that. But everyone are selling they will be there longer. NONE are selling "I'm only here one year at a time"....especially the good/elite ones. The constant turnovers aren't elite. Which are we trying to be?

I understand the mentality you're saying. I think at the end of the day, we're trusting Rhule to use his speaking abilities (guy could be a Tony Robbins like motivation speaker if he wanted to be), and his directness to overcome the bad press from other coaches. The only fairness I could give coach, is from his own words and his recruits that he tells the recruits the same thing. That he expects them to go out and explore every option, make sure they 100% want to be here at BU. Hell he will tweet our kids visits to other schools as a positive. It's almost like a reverse psychology that the kids appreciate, at least in theory.

Also, by exploring, I meant to be more specific in that he's not actively going out to look for a new job, but willing to take a phone call as a level of professionalism.

I'm as big a fan of CMR as anyone. You can't do a search and find a negative post, just to be negative. I believe his honesty is genuine. I simply am able to admit insecurity is not a new "preferred" recruiting technique.
I've read all the posts you have put on this thread. I'm trying really hard to understand what exactly you want to see happen at this point. I can see that you feel some recruits will be persuaded in their decision to commit to a school based on another coach claiming that Coach Rhule won't be at Baylor for long. Are you afraid that we're going to miss out on top level recruits down the road? Do you want or expect CMR to make a public statement saying "look folks...I'm not going anywhere for a long time." You've just vehemently argued with anyone that has had a different opinion than yours and I just don't understand why.

The current landscape of recruiting is filled with a bunch of crap. So much so that sometimes it is very difficult to decipher what is real and what is not. Every program out there has developed a list of crap that they will tell the recruit about whichever school gives them the most competition to land that said recruit. It's the nature of the business and I just don't see that changing. There is a coaching carousel that occurs each and every single year. These athletes know this already. Article 11 of the NCAA National Letter of Intent reads: "Coaching Changes. I understand I have signed this NLI with the institution and not for a particular sport or coach. If a coach leaves the institution or the sports program (e.g. not retained, resigns), I remain bound by the provisions of this NLI. I understand it is not uncommon for a coach to leave his or her coaching position."

I just don't understand why you feel that CMR interviewing with NFL teams that contact him is going to push a kid over the edge and say "Well...I really liked Baylor and was going to go there, but I just can't feel comfortable that Coach Rhule is going to be there at the end of my 4 or 5 years because Coach Hermann told me that as soon as a NFL team offers him...he's gone." I mean there are good number of high school kids that have seen their coaches leave to go to another program. St. Pius X this season will have its 3rd head coach in as many years. I understand your premise that you don't want to give another program the ability to use CMR's interviews with NFL teams as a weapon that can be used against us in the recruiting war. The thing is, that statement doesn't have near the firepower I think you think it has because if they ask the questions (like we did) they're going to get from Coach Rhule that which you've already admitted...his truthful answer. For us, that answer has always been consistent and appears truthful in every way. "Anytime we win, people are going to come calling. As a professional courtesy, I always speak with anyone who wants to speak with me. I'm sure you can understand that I don't want to burn any bridges in this profession. I came to Baylor because I felt a calling to do so and we're not finished with what we set out to do. I don't plan on going anywhere for a long time."

At the end of the day, I think our football program is in great hands and I think that Coach Rhule will bring a level of prominence back that hasn't been seen here for some time. Like he did at Temple, I think you're going to see many Baylor players in the NFL in the coming years. When that happens, you will see the recruiting class rankings climb even higher for Baylor. All these kids want to make it to the next level as much as, or more than, being a part of a winning program. If they feel a particular coach can help them get there (because they've done it in the past), that recruit is going to seriously consider that coach and that school.
So you believe that people like Lincoln Riley and others that have immediately removed their name from consideration for a job in the past and do not interview with other teams is burning bridges in the coaching profession? I don't believe that for one second as that would basically mean there would be burned bridges all over the coaching world.

Colombo like many others will find anything to criticize Rhule. Mr. Compton, you will have to accept that there are some who will never forgive Baylor for firing Briles. It is the nature of the free football board.
Where was my criticism of Rhule? And where did I mention Briles?

Don't be so obtuse. Grizzbear, Timbear, Dman, and Colombo have all refuted what the father of a recruit said. Give me a break.

I speak only for myself. But don't try to make this into a false controversy between me and Compton. I'm thrilled they sat down, took all the information into account, connected the dots that led to choosing Baylor. But to say others will not take the same dots, apply different weight to different factors (head coach stability being just one of many dots), and choose differently....is simply a huge leap of faith.

Crazy some need to try so hard to say this is not a logical factor recruits will not consider.

So now you are calling Mr. Compton crazy? Sorry, but you just left a hanging curve ball....lol.
Dman
SATXBear said:

Dman said:

SATXBear said:

ColomboLQ said:

SATXBear said:

ColomboLQ said:

ccompton3 said:

Dman said:

BUBear24 said:

Dman said:

BUBear24 said:

I do find this article interesting. Was googling average FBS coach years at one school- albeit 2017 but I'm sure still rings true today. 68% of coaches having been at a school 5 years or less.

https://www.businessinsider.com/college-football-players-coaches-recruiting-2017-12

I could believe that. But everyone are selling they will be there longer. NONE are selling "I'm only here one year at a time"....especially the good/elite ones. The constant turnovers aren't elite. Which are we trying to be?

I understand the mentality you're saying. I think at the end of the day, we're trusting Rhule to use his speaking abilities (guy could be a Tony Robbins like motivation speaker if he wanted to be), and his directness to overcome the bad press from other coaches. The only fairness I could give coach, is from his own words and his recruits that he tells the recruits the same thing. That he expects them to go out and explore every option, make sure they 100% want to be here at BU. Hell he will tweet our kids visits to other schools as a positive. It's almost like a reverse psychology that the kids appreciate, at least in theory.

Also, by exploring, I meant to be more specific in that he's not actively going out to look for a new job, but willing to take a phone call as a level of professionalism.

I'm as big a fan of CMR as anyone. You can't do a search and find a negative post, just to be negative. I believe his honesty is genuine. I simply am able to admit insecurity is not a new "preferred" recruiting technique.
I've read all the posts you have put on this thread. I'm trying really hard to understand what exactly you want to see happen at this point. I can see that you feel some recruits will be persuaded in their decision to commit to a school based on another coach claiming that Coach Rhule won't be at Baylor for long. Are you afraid that we're going to miss out on top level recruits down the road? Do you want or expect CMR to make a public statement saying "look folks...I'm not going anywhere for a long time." You've just vehemently argued with anyone that has had a different opinion than yours and I just don't understand why.

The current landscape of recruiting is filled with a bunch of crap. So much so that sometimes it is very difficult to decipher what is real and what is not. Every program out there has developed a list of crap that they will tell the recruit about whichever school gives them the most competition to land that said recruit. It's the nature of the business and I just don't see that changing. There is a coaching carousel that occurs each and every single year. These athletes know this already. Article 11 of the NCAA National Letter of Intent reads: "Coaching Changes. I understand I have signed this NLI with the institution and not for a particular sport or coach. If a coach leaves the institution or the sports program (e.g. not retained, resigns), I remain bound by the provisions of this NLI. I understand it is not uncommon for a coach to leave his or her coaching position."

I just don't understand why you feel that CMR interviewing with NFL teams that contact him is going to push a kid over the edge and say "Well...I really liked Baylor and was going to go there, but I just can't feel comfortable that Coach Rhule is going to be there at the end of my 4 or 5 years because Coach Hermann told me that as soon as a NFL team offers him...he's gone." I mean there are good number of high school kids that have seen their coaches leave to go to another program. St. Pius X this season will have its 3rd head coach in as many years. I understand your premise that you don't want to give another program the ability to use CMR's interviews with NFL teams as a weapon that can be used against us in the recruiting war. The thing is, that statement doesn't have near the firepower I think you think it has because if they ask the questions (like we did) they're going to get from Coach Rhule that which you've already admitted...his truthful answer. For us, that answer has always been consistent and appears truthful in every way. "Anytime we win, people are going to come calling. As a professional courtesy, I always speak with anyone who wants to speak with me. I'm sure you can understand that I don't want to burn any bridges in this profession. I came to Baylor because I felt a calling to do so and we're not finished with what we set out to do. I don't plan on going anywhere for a long time."

At the end of the day, I think our football program is in great hands and I think that Coach Rhule will bring a level of prominence back that hasn't been seen here for some time. Like he did at Temple, I think you're going to see many Baylor players in the NFL in the coming years. When that happens, you will see the recruiting class rankings climb even higher for Baylor. All these kids want to make it to the next level as much as, or more than, being a part of a winning program. If they feel a particular coach can help them get there (because they've done it in the past), that recruit is going to seriously consider that coach and that school.
So you believe that people like Lincoln Riley and others that have immediately removed their name from consideration for a job in the past and do not interview with other teams is burning bridges in the coaching profession? I don't believe that for one second as that would basically mean there would be burned bridges all over the coaching world.

Colombo like many others will find anything to criticize Rhule. Mr. Compton, you will have to accept that there are some who will never forgive Baylor for firing Briles. It is the nature of the free football board.

Don't be so obtuse. Grizzbear, Timbear, Dman, and Colombo have all refuted what the father of a recruit said. Give me a break.

I speak only for myself. But don't try to make this into a false controversy between me and Compton. I'm thrilled they sat down, took all the information into account, connected the dots that led to choosing Baylor. But to say others will not take the same dots, apply different weight to different factors (head coach stability being just one of many dots), and choose differently....is simply a huge leap of faith.

Crazy some need to try so hard to say this is not a logical factor recruits will not consider.

So now you are calling Mr. Compton crazy? Sorry, but you just left a hanging curve ball....lol.

Not at all. Mr Compton was respectful in his responses and thought process. As was I with my replies. If anyone Is looking to make drama from it...then they are the ones "trying so hard" and are the ones I'm referring to.

Simple enough? Any confusion now?
SATXBear
Dman said:

SATXBear said:

Dman said:

SATXBear said:

ColomboLQ said:

SATXBear said:

ColomboLQ said:

ccompton3 said:

Dman said:

BUBear24 said:

Dman said:

BUBear24 said:

Not at all. Mr Compton was respectful in his responses and thought process. As was I with my replies. If Your the one looking to make drama from it...then your the one "trying so hard" and are the one I'm referring to.

Simple enough? Any confusion now?
KIA
Who is the Anderson kid and why is he leaving?
BUBear24
KIA said:

Who is the Anderson kid and why is he leaving?

OL who may have been leaving because of playing time but doesn't seem to be the case anymore. No one knows for sure if he is staying or going.
TheDom
Dman said:

TheDom said:

Dman said:

TheDom said:

EasyE said:

Your choice

All I've said is that if CMR interviews every year, the instability year after year will impact SOME...not all, not masses...some recruits.

1. Mr Compton's is a current recruit, they looked at things, still chose Baylor, therefore it has to be how ALL will look at it and choose. I don't have to repeat myself, I'm thrilled he's on here. I'm thrilled they chose Baylor. But he's one recruit. Even He will not argue every recruit looks at things the same

2. There will not be a single "Mr Compton" who will come on to this forum and give you the quote you want. So you now think that person doesn't exist?! Laughable.

My points:
3. There's not a single P5 program who would want their successful head coach, that they are building around (much less one coming off a scandal) to put the program on notice....EVERY YEAR. But it's perfect for Baylor. Really???!

4. High school coaches and families from around the country will tell you recruits want to know the program they choose is stable. A coach who is pursuing them reflects that program. EVERYTHING changes under a new one. Systems, schemes, and types of players needed. New coach. New preferences.

-coaching stability is important and instability is NOT a positive. Only one recruit has to chose another school due to this factor for my argument to be true. This factor has played a role in recruits over the course of time from around the country. It's not new.

-for your theory to be true, NOT A SINGLE RECRUIT cares...and will never factor this into consideration.

Again...die on that hill if you want. It's idiotic

Again, just more of the same ramble. Still, you have yet to define "stable". You can't even define your own argument. Then you claim you are never wrong because you can just talk in circles without ever saying anything tangible. More and more subjective talk about other P5 programs and recruiting with zero evidence.

Here are the tangible provable facts.
Baylor football is trending in solid positive direction. The program is more than stable and beginning to not only completely heal but grow strong.
Recruiting has never been better.
2019 is pointing to a breakout year.

Go back to your 8th grade science project where you had to cite sources and evidence. It will help you formulate tangible opinions that live in reality.

"Tom Herman will tell recruits Rhule is leaving for NFL so they won't come to Baylor" is a big fat F!

Oh and Baylor women's basketball is back to #1 in the country and men's b-ball is ROLL'N!

Athletics in good spot! So long Dman.
Dman
TheDom said:

Dman said:

TheDom said:

Dman said:

TheDom said:

EasyE said:

Your choice

My points:

Again...die on that hill if you want. It's idiotic

Again, just more of the same ramble. Still, you have yet to define "stable". You can't even define your own argument. Then you claim you are never wrong because you can just talk in circles without ever saying anything tangible. More and more subjective talk about other P5 programs and recruiting with zero evidence.

Here are the tangible provable facts.
Baylor football is trending in solid positive direction. The program is more than stable and beginning to not only completely heal but grow strong.
Recruiting has never been better.
2019 is pointing to a breakout year.

Go back to your 8th grade science project where you had to cite sources and evidence. It will help you formulate tangible opinions that live in reality.

"Tom Herman will tell recruits Rhule is leaving for NFL so they won't come to Baylor" is a big fat F!

Oh and Baylor women's basketball is back to #1 in the country and men's b-ball is ROLL'N!

Athletics in good spot! So long Dman.

Why do you act so juvenile? How old are you? You dwell on 8th grade science projects..is that where your posting from?

1. Baylor football is trending in a positive direction. : I agree. I'm a Baylor fan. I'm glad it is. Rhule has been a good coach. Has nothing to do with my point that if he flirts with leaving every year, it won't impact some recruits we could have otherwise gotten
2. The program is beginning to heal: Agree. And why I want Rhule to be here for as long as possible. But doesn't mean it's immune from recruits making subjective decisions when a coach interviews every year with another program. NFL or other.
3. Recruiting has never been better: your argument is a single recruit wont dislike the fact that our coach could be gone every year. Especially if it continues year after year. Against all football logic from the beginning of time. Fascinating.
4. I hope 2019 is a break out year. I was a huge advocate of Rhule and 2018. I am In 2019. I was at 3 home games and 3 away games, including the bowl. Again... your need to be juvenile to imply my point says anything counter is absurd.

5...and the best one yet...What in God's name does this have to do with women's basketball ?! And why do you feel you have an ounce of moral high ground on me regarding that being a good thing? Good god you're just being stupid now. Again the need for drama, exaggeration, , extreme "connect the dots" (women's basketball?!) are all just signs of desperation.

"So long...DOM"
Dman
Name 1 other P5 program that would actually want their coach interviewing every year to leave. one. But this is ideal for Baylor?

If you can't agree with this..we have no basis to discuss this logically.

Btw. Still waiting on those quotes where I said we'd "mass exodus" or "never get recruits".

Please provide. Your so caught up with quotes. That's one you should easily be able to find. This thread is only a few pages long.

Or admit it's just drama and just move on.
BUbearinARK
Oh, there's lots of drama all up in here
Dman
BUbearinARK said:

Agree. Not sure why in the opinion of some (mainly one person) is it so illogical or committing high treason to say "I wish our head coach wouldn't interview to leave every year. It will impact some recruits"? Why does that statement create such an over the top response? How in any way does this make someone any less a Baylor fan. Especially when you fully support CMR and you won't find a single post anywhere from his hire date, unduly negative about him. CMR is great. It's ok to point out an area you'd wish he'd adjust. This is one.

Only way you have such a irrational/over the top response is if your trying too hard or you just want to sunshine pump and will accept NO counter points to even a logical position. To each there own.
hitmanmw
It seems pretty obvious to me that Rhule is not long-term committed to Baylor and he will jump when the right opportunity comes along. Could be next year, could be 5 years. If you think that's not a negative for Baylor recruiting, you are crazy. I can't prove that it is and you can't prove that it's not. We will never know about recruits that we might have lost because of this. I can tell you that when I was being recruited the stability of the head coach at several other SWC schools was a MAJOR factor. I don't see how anyone can argue that this is good for Baylor or a non-factor. My two cents...
TheDom
hitmanmw said:

It seems pretty obvious to me that Rhule is not long-term committed to Baylor and he will jump when the right opportunity comes along. Could be next year, could be 5 years. If you think that's not a negative for Baylor recruiting, you are crazy. I can't prove that it is and you can't prove that it's not. We will never know about recruits that we might have lost because of this. I can tell you that when I was being recruited the stability of the head coach at several other SWC schools was a MAJOR factor. I don't see how anyone can argue that this is good for Baylor or a non-factor. My two cents...
Okay, so let me ask you couple questions then, perhaps you are more logical and have a better grip on reality than Dman.....

1. You say you can't prove it but if Rhule is recruiting better than any coach in Baylor history does that not point to fact that whatever negative effect ya'll claim it has is minimal at best?

2. Please define unstability in your book. If Rhule doesn't interview for NFL position next offseason is the program now "stable"?

3. Of all the negative recruiting that I'm sure has happened from our rivals the last few years you honestly believe Rhule interviewing for couple NFL positions is the largest factor?

4. What is "long term committed" in your book?

I'm genuinely interested in your response. I understand the viewpoint, what I don't understand is how someone could be so committed to a viewpoint with no parameters.
bularry
Dman said:

BUbearinARK said:

Agree. Not sure why in the opinion of some (mainly one person) is it so illogical or committing high treason to say "I wish our head coach wouldn't interview to leave every year. It will impact some recruits"? Why does that statement create such an over the top response? How in any way does this make someone any less a Baylor fan. Especially when you fully support CMR and you won't find a single post anywhere from his hire date, unduly negative about him. CMR is great. It's ok to point out an area you'd wish he'd adjust. This is one.

Only way you have such a irrational/over the top response is if your trying too hard or you just want to sunshine pump and will accept NO counter points to even a logical position. To each there own.
maybe y'all move the discussion to PM to come to some mutual understanding?
hitmanmw
TheDom said:

hitmanmw said:

Okay, so let me ask you couple questions then, perhaps you are more logical and have a better grip on reality than Dman.....

1. You say you can't prove it but if Rhule is recruiting better than any coach in Baylor history does that not point to fact that whatever negative effect ya'll claim it has is minimal at best?
A: Just because he is recruiting well, and I agree they are great recruiters, doesn't mean it couldn't be better if he was seen as more committed. When it's a close decision, that factor could easily tip the scale for a top recruit. Also, we probably haven't seen the real evidence yet. First year interview with Colts, maybe a fluke. Two years in a row and I think it starts working against him. Fran Brown leaving doesn't help. More evidence that these guys from the NE may be looking to get back there.

2. Please define unstability in your book. If Rhule doesn't interview for NFL position next offseason is the program now "stable"?
A: No. I think opposing staffs could tell a recruit "This Baylor staff will not be there for your 4-5 years." and I think there's plenty of evidence for a recruit to be concerned about that.

3. Of all the negative recruiting that I'm sure has happened from our rivals the last few years you honestly believe Rhule interviewing for couple NFL positions is the largest factor?
A: You can't negative recruit against the old staff/scandal. They are gone. I'm not going to try to quantify it either but don't sit there and say it doesn't matter. In some cases, maybe a few, maybe a lot, it could break the tie.

A: It would've been nice for him to wait 4 years before shopping around.

ccompton3
hitmanmw said:

TheDom said:

hitmanmw said:

A: Just because he is recruiting well, and I agree they are great recruiters, doesn't mean it couldn't be better if he was seen as more committed. When it's a close decision, that factor could easily tip the scale for a top recruit. Also, we probably haven't seen the real evidence yet. First year interview with Colts, maybe a fluke. Two years in a row and I think it starts working against him. Fran Brown leaving doesn't help. More evidence that these guys from the NE may be looking to get back there.

A: No. I think opposing staffs could tell a recruit "This Baylor staff will not be there for your 4-5 years." and I think there's plenty of evidence for a recruit to be concerned about that.

A: You can't negative recruit against the old staff/scandal. They are gone. I'm not going to try to quantify it either but don't sit there and say it doesn't matter. In some cases, maybe a few, maybe a lot, it could break the tie.

Your answer to question 2 elicits another question. Can't that line be used by the majority of all D1 staffs? There was an article from the Business Insider last year that looked at this situation. Here's a direct quote from the article. "Of the 130 current FBS programs, 89 (68%) have, or will have, a head coach in 2018 who has been at their current school fewer than five years. That means, at least 68% of fifth-year seniors next season will not be playing for the coach they chose during the recruiting process. That number will also go up as some of the currently vacant jobs are filled by coaches from other FBS schools."

I feel strongly that in today's football recruiting scene, a recruit really does himself a disservice by not being educated on the realities of the landscape. The fact that we see so much media involving the "Coaching Carousel" that seems to occur each year makes it difficult for me to believe that the recruit would have no idea that the coaching staff they start with might not be the coaching staff they end with. Obviously, there is a valid point that if one coach is interviewing and another is not, it might be easier to infer that the non interviewing coach provides a more stable future outlook. With that said, I don't believe that another staff can use it as a tactic any longer when recruiting a player. Chances are, that coaches days are numbered just as short as the next guy.
Dman
ccompton3 said:

hitmanmw said:

TheDom said:

hitmanmw said:

Your answer to question 2 elicits another question. Can't that line be used by the majority of all D1 staffs? There was an article from the Business Insider last year that looked at this situation. Here's a direct quote from the article. "Of the 130 current FBS programs, 89 (68%) have, or will have, a head coach in 2018 who has been at their current school fewer than five years. That means, at least 68% of fifth-year seniors next season will not be playing for the coach they chose during the recruiting process. That number will also go up as some of the currently vacant jobs are filled by coaches from other FBS schools."

A few points. The turnover will largely be found in the P5 programs not considered elite. Sub-par to mediocre programs. Please point to the elite programs (top 10) where a coach has only been there 4 years or less amd they have turnover routinely (3 in 5 years for Baylor)?

And even of the 68% who are stuck in coaching carousels, how many of those coaches have interviewed after their first and only 2 two seasons with a program when that program has had 3 coaches in 5 years and needs an image of stability?

So what are we Trying to be? Elite? Mediocre? Sub-par? You will get no arguments from me regarding the college landscape of coaching. Just someone point to an elite program built on instability?

Again, I appreciate your perspective. I just respecfuly don't think that interviewing every year is a positive for our program. I'm thrilled we are doing well. But it will impact some recruits...and we could be doing better.

I'm Ignoring Doms hype and need for drama: "mass exodus" or "all recruits", that's not close to what I'm saying. I'm simply saying I'd wish our coach didn't interview and put our program on notice every year.

TheDom
Appreciate your response. I see your perspective although I disagree on several points. Thank you for putting some standard out there with the 4 year mark.

Baylor Football was "unstable" in Dec 2016 when Rhule step foot on campus. Going from 1-11 to 7-6 with a bowl win and getting 3 solid recruiting classes with the last 2 being the best in Baylor history is the very definition of becoming stable.

If Rhule left tomorrow, who could argue our program is in worst shape today than when Rhule took the job? I would actually understand ya'lls concern more if Rhule had been here 8 years, was pulling in top 15 classes, had won couple Big12 titles, and had reached a CFP and us losing Rhule would require us to potentially take a step back from that crazy good level.

At this point, we are still recovering from the scandal. And the scandal certainly is still being used against us in recruiting. We just lost Hookfin, a 4* OL, to UT over negative recruiting on the scandal. The NCAA cloud still hangs over us. Much more than Rhule interviewing for jobs.

So here are a list of things that have shown to be more important to recruits than Rhule interviewing for jobs.... #1. Can this staff and Baylor win? #2. Can this staff develop? #3. How much do I like Baylor? #4 How much will the scandal effect my time at Baylor? #5. If Rhule does leave and I sign will the on going support of Baylor Football get someone good?
Timbear
It's funny how so many posters are really trying to convince themselves that Rhule's trying to leave every year is not a negative activity for the program.
Dman
TheDom said:

So here are a list of things that have shown to be more important to recruits than Rhule interviewing for jobs.... #1. Can this staff and Baylor win? #2. Can this staff develop? #3. How much do I like Baylor? #4 How much will the scandal effect my time at Baylor? #5. If Rhule does leave and I sign will the on going support of Baylor Football get someone good?

That's is your subjective order or importance. Every recruit puts the pieces of the puzzle together differently.

Take Baylor and Rhule out of the conversation...it's just too personal for you to get past. No drama or exaggerations needed. Leave out any "I'm a real Baylor fan..you're not". It's not needed or true.

Are you saying a single recruit isn't going to have such a hard decision, that a head coach who interviews every year to leave will not factor into or impact a SINGLE recruit? That instability will never be a "tie-breaker"? That Baylor , no matter how well our classes are (not elite yet), couldn't be better if that wasn't a factor?

Simple yes or no.

Let's see if we can simplify the conversation.
BUbearinARK
Timbear said:

It's funny how so many posters are really trying to convince themselves that Rhule's trying to leave every year is not a negative activity for the program.
It's funny how many posters say Rhule is "trying to leave early". Misstatement. And in spite of hugely positive gains in recruiting and team cohesion continuing.
SATXBear
BUbearinARK said:

Timbear said:

It's funny how many posters say Rhule is "trying to leave early" in spite of hugely positive gains in recruiting.
People want to be negative because they are still mad about Art Briles being fired. You can never please them. I am just glad to have a competent coach for a few years. Nothing is perfect.
TheDom
Dman said:

TheDom said:

That's is your subjective order or importance. Every recruit puts the pieces of the puzzle together differently.

Take Baylor and Rhule out of the conversation...it's just too personal for you to get past. No drama or exaggerations needed. Leave out any "I'm a real Baylor fan..you're not". It's not needed or true.

Are you saying a single recruit isn't going to have such a hard decision, that a head coach who interviews every year to leave will not factor into or impact a SINGLE recruit? That instability will never be a "tie-breaker"? That Baylor , no matter how well our classes are (not elite yet), couldn't be better if that wasn't a factor?

Simple yes or no.

I find it hilarious you call my order of importance subjective, when that has been my point of your entire argument. You have zero evidence to back up your subjective, arbitrary argument. Nor have you laid out any tangible standards, yet you act like I'm crazy for disagreeing. And no, nothing personal. I think you act like a jerk and speak condescendingly in the majority of your posts so I like to tease you. The "mass exodus" post was obvious sarcasm to needle you.

To answer your question, is it possible that there is a single recruit that chooses against Baylor bc Rhule interviewed with the Jets? Of course. Do I think this is an overwhelming factor that is driving away large numbers of recruits? No. Is there any evidence yet that those interviews have cost us even one highly touted recruit? No.

So if I had to lay out some benchmark, I would say the odds are somewhere around 1 in maybe 500 possible recruits would not choose Baylor based on the single factor of Rhule potentially leaving to NFL in short order. So many others factors to consider before that hits radar, as provided in Mr. Compton's personal testimony.

Now on to the "could be better" recruiting you keep saying. Give a standard!! You continue to be subjective and say "better" rather than lay out a benchmark. If Rhule is recruiting the best in Baylor history please explain what you think our recruiting classes should be if he didn't interview for JETS job?
My answer is no, we would have exactly the same class. Recruiting will get "elite" or "better" if he can get to 10 wins this season and start competing for conference championships.
ccompton3

Sorry Dman...I have another couple of questions. What happens if CMR doesn't interview with another NFL team next year? Does your opinion change if CMR doesn't interview with another NFL team next year?

Dman
TheDom said:

Dman said:

TheDom said:

Simple yes or no.

I find it hilarious you call my order of importance subjective, when that has been my point of your entire argument. You have zero evidence to back up your subjective, arbitrary argument. Nor have you laid out any tangible standards, yet you act like I'm crazy for disagreeing. And no, nothing personal. I think you act like a jerk and speak condescendingly in the majority of your posts so I like to tease you. The "mass exodus" post was obvious sarcasm to needle you.

To answer your question, is it possible that there is a single recruit that chooses against Baylor bc Rhule interviewed with the Jets? Of course. Do I think this is an overwhelming factor that is driving away large numbers of recruits? No. Is there any evidence yet that those interviews have cost us even one highly touted recruit? No.

So if I had to lay out some benchmark, I would say the odds are somewhere around 1 in maybe 500 possible recruits would not choose Baylor based on the single factor of Rhule potentially leaving to NFL in short order. So many others factors to consider before that hits radar, as provided in Mr. Compton's personal testimony.

Now on to the "could be better" recruiting you keep saying. Give a standard!! You continue to be subjective and say "better" rather than lay out a benchmark. If Rhule is recruiting the best in Baylor history please explain what you think our recruiting classes should be if he didn't interview for JETS job?
My answer is no, we would have exactly the same class. Recruiting will get "elite" or "better" if he can get to 10 wins this season and start competing for conference championships.

1. Please Don't try to take the high road. I've been respectful to those who have showed similar levels of respect even though they disagreed. You've claimed crap like "can't be Baylor fan" unless I agree with your subjective opinion. Literally brought up women's basketball?! I've made it clear (and any search history will show) I support Rhule. Then you bring in drama and Exaggeration making claims I've never made. If your willing to dial that dial..you'll get the same level of respect.

2. I've been consistent with my definition of instability and "benchmark". A coach who interviews to leave EVERY year he's been here, at a program that has had 3 coaches in 5 years.

3. You are now backing into what I've been saying the whole time. It will impact "some" recruits. You say this class couldn't be better. I respectfully say you have no way of confirming what recruits thought that chose differently. You want to use quotes from existing Baylor recruits..you will never get them quotes from the ones Who go somewhere else. 1 out of 500 is subjective and your opinion. But it's a subjective conversation (regardless of what facts you want to try to use), so I respectfully say it has an unquantifiable impact (higher or lower), but it's an impact.

Plain and simple. I wish he wouldn't interview every year. Coaching consistency is an issue. For which recruit and how big of an issue is subjective. But it Always has been. Again, name another P5 elite program (which is what we're are trying to be by Rhule's own words) who would want their coach putting their program on notice at the end of every year.
Dman
ccompton3 said:

Sorry Dman...I have another couple of questions. What happens if CMR doesn't interview with another NFL team next year? Does your opinion change if CMR doesn't interview with another NFL team next year?

No need to apologize. Happy to give you my subjective answer.

If he doesn't interview next year it's a HUGE plus and could do nothing but help the perception for those recruits who weigh this issue more heavily than others. 2 years would be even better. Imagine a 10 win season with no "I may be leaving" after. That would be great.
BearlyBeloved
adambear said:

Because at every other school a player could pick, he's guaranteed the coach will be there for his full 4-5 year career.

Right?
Kliff Kingsbury agrees that this is 100% accurate: At every other school except Baylor it's a sure thing that the head coach will never leave for any reason.

TheDom
Well by your logic, which is based on the premise that we don't know what is happening behind the scenes with recruiting, then how can you say with confidence that the top/elite programs don't have coaches looking around every year?

If you apply your logic to one aspect of the industry why not another?

Interesting we having this discussion after I read the reports on Lincoln Riley's contract extension. Lots of incentive bonuses for staying on past certain dates. OU is considered a top program, right? Why the need for OU to do so if they are so "stable" meaning their coach doesn't have the desire to look around?

I think you need have a deeper definition of a football program being "stable" as opposed to simply boiling it down to HC interviewing for NFL jobs the last 2 seasons. The stability of a football program extends beyond a coach. While he is a large part in that moment, coaches come and go quite often. An Athletic Department and schools as a whole should be larger than the coach. Furthermore, in Baylor's particular case, Rhule has helped make Baylor Football far more stable than it was previously. Overall our AD and school is far more stable than it was before too.

Dman
TheDom said:

Well by your logic, which is based on the premise that we don't know what is happening behind the scenes with recruiting, then how can you say with confidence that the top/elite programs don't have coaches looking around every year?

If you apply your logic to one aspect of the industry why not another?

Interesting we having this discussion after I read the reports on Lincoln Riley's contract extension. Lots of incentive bonuses for staying on past certain dates. OU is considered a top program, right? Why the need for OU to do so if they are so "stable" meaning their coach doesn't have the desire to look around?

I think you need have a deeper definition of a football program being "stable" as opposed to simply boiling it down to HC interviewing for NFL jobs the last 2 seasons. The stability of a football program extends beyond a coach. While he is a large part in that moment, coaches come and go quite often. An Athletic Department and schools as a whole should be larger than the coach. Furthermore, in Baylor's particular case, Rhule has helped make Baylor Football far more stable than it was previously. Overall our AD and school is far more stable than it was before too.

DOM. We are just going to have to agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with that. You're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine. It's a subjective conversation.

Mine is simple. Interviewing every year is not a new advantage recruitment strategy. Otherwise everyone would be doing it. I wish Rhule wouldn't put our program on notice every year. That's not an irrational opinion. It's based in common football acumen. You feel differently and are entitled to your opinion.

Your own example of OU and a contract extension and the whole concept of a Buy Out clause is to ensure a coach stays in place when the university wants them to..for as long as possible. That they create as much incentive as possible to stay..versus interview every year. If they leave too early, it's going to cost the team "buying them" . If a school didn't care, there wouldn't be contracts, extensions, or buy out clauses to protect them.

Again. It's a subjective discussion. Your entitled to your "opinion". But it's simply not a "fact" as you needed to make it out To be. I have no interest in going back and forth for days more. We will just disagree.
TheDom
Agree to disagree is fair enough.

And for the record, I understand your premise and think it will matter much more if Rhule is able to really build something at Baylor. Similar to Briles flirting with UT before Fiesta Bowl. It matters much more when a team gets to that level.

As it stands now, we are still recovering from the scandal and recruiting is as good as can be expected until we get better and win more. It is amazing what Rhule has been able to accomplish in short order. Obviously credit to him and his staff but also credit to Mack and lots of others working behind the scenes.

It goes to demonstrate the potential of Baylor as a whole. If and when Rhule decides to leave we are in great shape to get another good coach. Although, I personally think all this is overblown. My guess is Rhule will be here 7 total years.

Opps on the emoji ...
TheDom
Dman - check the press release today and the results of 2019 Signing Day 2.0

My opinion is not subjective. It is based on the continuing mounting evidence. The program is stable and recruiting is trending in positive direction.

Another good day for Baylor Football under Rhule.

Sic'em Bears!
Grizz Air
I continue to hear that Anderson is in the transfer portal, but from everything I've seen, he is not in the portal. He may indeed be transferring, but his name is NOT in the portal as of right now.
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.