Football
Sponsored by

I'd this the future of college athletics?

5,557 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bunation
GrowlTowel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Originally posted by 365's strangest and most butthurt poster.
Quote:

Yes, I think Art Briles and his staff got screwed. I am a CABer. Once again, I am so sorry Art and Ian gave you a painful wedgy.

And you have just said that if Baylor is willing to lower the standards that we still have an overabundance of parents willing to pay to have their Village Idiots go to Baylor. LOL. Okay. That makes me feel better. Nothing short of excellence!!!

What color is the sky in your world?

Blue. A lot of us feel this way. Does not mean we hate the school or Rhule. Many of us have continued to give in spite of the fact that no real reforms took place. Five, six years from now when another scandal hits, you will be right there, blaming the wrong party.

Want to sum up Baylor in one word . . . Baylor.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
RegentCoverup
trey3216 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Quote:

Yes, I think Art Briles and his staff got screwed. I am a CABer. Once again, I am so sorry Art and Ian gave you a painful wedgy.

And you have just said that if Baylor is willing to lower the standards that we still have an overabundance of parents willing to pay to have their Village Idiots go to Baylor. LOL. Okay. That makes me feel better. Nothing short of excellence!!!

The same as yours. It is our perception of Baylor Reality that seems to be on different ends of the spectrum. And that is okay. In your world, as long as Art and Ian are gone, Satan and his little brother can run the show and all is well in BaylorLand. LOL! Please tell Xiled I said Hello.
Satan?! Seems legit
Yeah, I leaned back from the chair a bit when I read that as well.

Put a breathalyzer on his PC.
RegentCoverup
GrowlTowel said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Quote:

Blue. A lot of us feel this way. Does not mean we hate the school or Rhule. Many of us have continued to give in spite of the fact that no real reforms took place. Five, six years from now when another scandal hits, you will be right there, blaming the wrong party.

You mind telling me who I'm blaming?

I can't keep up with the lunatic conspiracy theories in some of you guys' heads.
bear2be2
trey3216 said:

bear2be2 said:

trey3216 said:

bear2be2 said:

trey3216 said:

bear2be2 said:

BaylorOkie said:

Agree. It seems like a bubble that's bound to burst, and I dont see how some universities will be able to come out on the other side.
Agree completely. And with TV money -- the biggest source of revenue for these conferences and schools -- bound to dry up as more and more people cut the cord/stop watching, the situation is even more tenuous.
some of that money will be there, albeit in alternative formats. And all those cutting cords right now are naive to think those costs won't drift towards what you were previously paying on your cable bill. It's going to happen.
The bigger problem is that many of the cord cutters are no longer paying for sports broadcasting in any form and have just stopped watching altogether or are going to sports bars. That's why ESPN is in the pickle it's in. It's running out of people it can hand those costs down to, and with ESPN+ it's trying to hand new and higher costs to its current shrinking customer base. As a veteran of the newspaper industry, I can tell you that's not a sustainable model.
ESPN won't be footing the bill. You didn't get what I'm saying
And you missed my point clearly. ESPN can and will charge more for their services, but as long as their customer base is shrinking -- and that trend almost certainly will continue as they charge loyal subscribers more and more for the same products -- they'll continue in their current drain-circling trajectory.

What's happening with ESPN isn't new, and there's no super clever way out of the mess they find themselves in long-term. It's the exact same thing that's happened in the newspaper industry, where technological advances and changes in user platform preferences have caused traditional revenue streams to dry up without introducing new ones to the equation. ESPN can stall this temporarily (as newspaper ownership groups have) by cutting costs and asking more and more of the consumer, but they can't and won't solve their problem long-term that way. I'm not sure there even is a solution.
you've clearly missed the point. The distributors that will be bidding for sports will be Amazon, Facebook, Twitter and Netflix. The consumer, who is shifting to streaming, will inevitably end up absorbing costs eventually, just as they did in the past. This is already happening so it's not really debatable. This is why print and traditional media is failing, because they didn't foresee or acknowledge it when it was happening
I'm not sure what we're arguing at this point because I don't really disagree with any of that. You're just looking farther into the future than I am. For Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, etc. to become major players in the sports broadcasting scene, they'll first need to outbid ESPN, and I can't see that happening in the near future. When ESPN loses its major broadcasting rights, it might as well close up shop because it's literally doomed at that point. For that reason, I think they'll overbid for at least one more round of contract negotiations to hold onto what little they still have of value.

Once they're out of the picture, it's a free for all. But I don't see that happening for a long time, and by then who knows what the media landscape will look like. I still can't see streaming customers paying premiums for channels they don't want and won't watch, which is what is killing cable TV currently and will ultimately leave the distributor de jour chasing more dollars from fewer people.
GrowlTowel
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

GrowlTowel said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Quote:

You mind telling me who I'm blaming?

I can't keep up with the lunatic conspiracy theories in some of you guys' heads.

Not my job. I have no idea what your position. But the sky is blue and there is room for a variety of opinions. Cue Blame it on the Rain to call me a Caber.
bear2be2
GrowlTowel said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Quote:

The fact that anyone still believes the bolded despite mountains evidence to the contrary is insane to me.

Should there have been more turnover at the BoR level? Certainly. But to suggest no real reforms have occurred at Baylor is absurd.
GrowlTowel
bear2be2 said:

GrowlTowel said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Quote:

The fact that anyone still believes the bolded despite mountains evidence to the contrary is insane to me.

Should there have been more turnover at the BoR level? Certainly. But to suggest no real reforms have occurred at Baylor is absurd.

What were the reforms then? Three positions replaced? Wait, it will happen again. And again. And again.
contrario
GrowlTowel said:

bear2be2 said:

GrowlTowel said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Quote:

What were the reforms then? Three positions replaced? Wait, it will happen again. And again. And again.
Do some research.
Aberzombie1892
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

trey3216 said:

n.
Here's Baylor's problem's from a financial forecast perspective in my illustrious opinion, based on trends in higher education that I see.

• Endowment needs to be $3 bil(US) It's $1.2 bil. This is a much bigger problem than anyone either realizes or will discuss. We have some down years coming. The central problem is the inability of our board to attract and retain endowment dollars. 30 Regents. Only a few can donate and those aren't out raising funds, what's the point??? It gets worse, the people campaigning to be on the board don't have $$ either.

This is the specter for all high profile private institutions with endowments under $3B, and the issue isn't as easy to resolve as some make it out to be since most of the private institutions with large endowments generally have unique endowments.

As examples:
1. Duke University - endowment growth is tied to the The Duke Power Company.
2. Emory University - endowment growth is tied to the The Coca-Cola Company. The gift it received of stock in 1979 was the largest gift to a University in American history at the time.
3. Vanderbilt - endowment growth is complicated. Vanderbilt was founded with a $1M gift in 1873 and the university was largely supported by the Methodist Church until it separated from the church in 1914 (subsequently, the Methodist Church created SMU and expanded support for Emory). Vanderbilt was gifted $340M of Ingram Industries stock in 1998, which was the largest gift to a University in American history at the time.
4. WashU - endowment growth is also complicated in that the University had no backing of a religious organization, single wealthy patron, or earmarked government support - it was created by the business community. From 1983-1987, the University raised $630.5M, which was the largest amount raised in a fundraising campaign at a University in American history at the time. By 1995, it had a $1.72B endowment, and, between 1998 and 2004, it raised $1.55B.
5. Rice - endowment growth is also complicated. Rice was founded with $4.6M endowment in 1904, and, for many years, the endowment was primarily invested in real estate, notes, bonds, and a few blue chip stocks. In the early years, the Rice endowment often acted as a bank by loaning money to churches, clubs, and civic organizations in Houston. Valued at about $1 billion in 1989, the endowment is now valued at $5.3 billion (as of June 30, 2016), and is highly diversified across many asset classes, with both domestic and international exposure.

BearlyBeloved
What's the answer??

I'm waiting for the next level of branding. Let's take it beyond "The Miracle-Gro Rose Bowl, brought to you by Scotts' Weed and Feed."

Separate from naming rights for arenas and stadiums, they can sell naming rights to every position on the team.

The biggest company in Connecticut is Aetna. They also have United Technologies, CIGNA, Hartford Insurance, Stanley Black & Decker, Xerox and others, including even ESPN!

"Bringing the ball down-court is the Xerox point guard, who passes the ball to the Aetna forward, who shoots but misses, rebounded by The Hartford's forward."

And then there are the ads on the jerseys, as we're seeing elsewhere, including the WNBA:

Finally, sell the rights to advertise on the athletes' tattoos:

bunation
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Stranger said:

I'm shocked that the so-called Baylor fans on this forum are not concerned that Baylor athletic department is drowning in $24 million in red ink.

Who covers that shortfall? More raises in tuition? How much can Baylor endure?

Are none of you concerned?
Not concerned. I've graduated. My kids have options their old man didn't, so I don't see them at Baylor.

Great example.

You don't know anything firsthand about Art Briles-only what you read from sources no one can completely rely on/trust.

On the other hand, there are many men of unquestioned character who worked with him intimately, defending CAB.

No one has gone to jail.

It's sadly obvious that you enjoy "casting stones," especially at a man who is at rock bottom-coaching a "D league team" in Italy. So, go ahead. Enjoy.

btw, pathetic to read you don't think your kids will be considering our beloved Baylor. That DID surprise me.

Me? Three daughters-BU honors grads & a sophomore (the Boy).

Edit: ...and, what a thrill it has been! Homecoming, SING, Pigskin, homecoming parade, bonfire, father-daughter sorority events, sorority/fraternity tailgates, discussing various Baylor sports during the many seasons, going to postseason games/tournaments together, seeing the development of the campus, seeing friends/a few profs/frat bros...and often reliving my experiences through them like intramurals, pledging & Diadeloso.

Great times. Cherished memories.

All, but "the Boy" have great careers.

Thank you, Baylor!

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.