Football
Sponsored by

How Matt Rhule came to grips with the RPO game as a smash-mouth coach

16,357 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
lakersfan34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://footballscoop.com/news/matt-rhule-came-grips-rpo-game-smash-mouth-coach/

How Matt Rhule came to grips with the RPO game as a smash-mouth coach
By Zach Barnett
June 13, 2019

The irony of Matt Rhule leading a talk on RPOs wasn't lost on the man himself. For one, as a head coach since 2013, Rhule hasn't actually run an offense for almost a decade now. For another, if left to his own devices, Rhule wouldn't run a spread, RPO-based offense in the first place.

As a born-and-bred East Coast, smash-mouth guy, in a vacuum Rhule would line up each snap in 22 personnel and run the ball. It's what he did at Temple, after all. In fact, an in-house research project found he's undefeated as a head coach when his running back rushes for at least 150 yards in a game. "I figured it out, let's run for 150 yards, we'll win and I can get my wife a new kitchen and pay for my daughter to go to private school," Rhule joked.

But then he took the Baylor job, and all of a sudden he found himself spending a summer day in San Angelo, Texas, speaking to the state's high school coaches on running an RPO-based offense.

For Rhule, the RPO game is a means to an end running the ball, just in a way that makes sense in the Big 12 with a roster filled with Texas high school players who've run the spread since they were in diapers. Case in point, the Bears ran for 91 yards on 2.9 a carry in a 37-20 win over UTSA on Sept. 8 of last season, and rushed for 284 yards on 6.17 a pop in a 45-38 defeat of Vanderbilt in the Texas Bowl.

"Run pass option has been my deal with the devil," he said. "We won a couple games, but it wasn't played the way I wanted it to be played. I want the game to look a certain way, with a certain brand. Run pass option has been a bridge for me a way to win. We want to be tough. We believe in full gear, weightlifting, the Oklahoma drill. All the people tell us to be careful about doing, I believe that's exactly what we need to do."

To come to grips with the RPO game, Rhule needed to know why. He's a big believer in the concept. "The No. 1 question I ask is why. The difference between great coaches and average coaches is great coaches can elitely and clearly tell you why," he said. "To be a great coach, you have to answer why. If you know the why, it will guide the what and how."

That said, why Rhule embraced the RPO game was because of the following reasons:
  • To protect the run game
  • To exploit the defense (more on this later*)
  • To put defenders in conflict
  • To spread the ball around
  • To negate defensive pursuit

"Good offenses have eight to 10 guys touch the ball a game,"he said. "If you want to run for 200 yards a game and you hand the ball to your tailback as your primary means of running the ball, you better have an All-State tailback." An ideal Baylor game will see 100 rushing yards from the running back position, 50 from the quarterback and 50 from the wide receivers. The Texas Bowl win over Vanderbilt saw three Bears run for between 50 and 109 yards.

(* Despite being warned beforehand, Rhule said he flat out did not realize how hot Texas is in September and October until he experienced himself. As such, he wants opposing defenders running sideline-to-sideline as much as possible early in games. "If I can't breathe on the sidelines, imagine how those guys (on the field) feel," he said.)

Though Rhule has come to grips with the RPO game, he deploys it only situationally. "The hard part of the RPO is not the whats, it's the when," he said. Baylor runs RPO in the following situations:
  • Base downs
  • 2nd and long
  • 3rd and 3-6
  • Red zone
  • Four-down territory

Why not on 2nd-and-short? It's simple: Rhule loves the quarterback sneak there. "We changed our season by just going QB sneak," he said. "We were 14-of-14, including two plays of over 15 yards. 2nd and 1-2 is direct run, preferably QB sneak."

On the flip side, Rhule loves the ability to pop big runs through the RPO game on 3rd-and-medium, and even if one doesn't pop, a short run on third down is still useful. On a 3rd-and-7, for instance, he'll his offensive coordinators, "4th-and-4," letting them know where the 3rd down play has to get to go for it on 4th down.
Baylor jumped from 1-11 in Rhule's 2017 debut to 7-6 last season. Don't be overwhelmed by that leap, though; Rhule wasn't.

"I believe you win games by eliminating things you do to lose games penalties, negative plays. The next way you win is in the trenches," he said. "Run the football and stop the run. You can win games by not doing that, but you'll never control them. There's a difference between outscoring opponents and controlling them. We won seven games last year and didn't control a single one. One win to seven wins, biggest turnaround in college football. No team had more improvement, but I can't sleep at night because we didn't control one of them."

For instance, Rhule rewound one clip in his presentation to highlight a missed block by a wide receiver that turned a possible explosive play into a standard 5-yard gain. "That's a 7-6 block right there," he said. "We'll get that fixed."

Other notes and quotes:
  • "For the head coaches in the room, I would challenge you to go back and ask your assistant coaches, 'What's the point of that? Why are you doing that?' If you really want to find out how well you're teaching, ask your players why you do a drill."
  • "Kevin Gilbride taught me great offenses are never a play late. Bad offensive staffs always talk about what they're going to call next."
  • "The key to being great on third down is not being in third down. The game is about total first downs. If you got 22 first downs, you probably won."
  • "Field goals will never beat us. If you ever come to a Baylor game, watch our field goal block team. We have finished in the top-5 every year in blocking kicks. We go live on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. If you watch our field goal block team, they never look back to see if the ball went in. No. 1 is, the only thing that matters is us, our effort. No. 2 is, field goals will not beat us."
canoso
Great, great observation about winning in the trenches. The incredible number of 1, 2, or 3 play TD "drives" during the Briles era obscured the fact that the running game was the bread and butter of his offense. Don't think so? Name the running backs during his tenure at Baylor that amassed over 1,000 yards in a single season. Take your time. It's a list.
historian
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.
Bear8084
Actual football talk from our head coach on this board. Love to see the breakdown on how plays are called and why. Makes me even more excited for Fall. Thanks for sharing! Sic 'Em, CMR and Sic 'Em, Bears!!!!
S11
Staff
Good article but one correction- he ran spread at Temple in 13 & 14 before he went with big sets as their base in 15 & 16.

Side note- One of the first times I started to get calmer about the new offense was the 2016 coaches film room where Rhule was suggesting RPO's for Bama or Clemson. Most of the failures where an old smash mouth coach replacing a spread guy happen where the new guy is hostile to winning with the spread and this was an earlier indication that wouldn't be a "we just don't call those types of plays" mentality that destroyed Southern Miss after Fedora left.
Dia del DougO
More winning, less projecting. Put it on paper.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
historian
And on the scoreboard!
bear2be2
Dia del DougO said:

Yeah, Rhule, stop answering questions you're asked by reporters and start winning more games in the offseason.
Bear8084
bear2be2 said:

Dia del DougO said:

Yeah, Rhule, stop answering questions you're asked by reporters and start winning more games in the offseason.
Took the words out of my mouth.

CMR: *answers questions and has a meaningful football discussion with sportswriters*

Some fans on here: *don't bother to read much of the article* "WeLL MaYbE hE juST NEeds to caLL ThE toUUcHdoWn PlaY mORe!!!"
SATXBear
Dia del DougO said:

I thought he did win last season?
Oldbear83
SATXBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

He improved certainly, but the goal is double-digit wins followed by bowl wins.

On a regular basis.
Timbear
Even Bear Bryant was only 15-12-2 in Bowls. Barely over 50% winning % in bowls. It's difficult. If Baylor can go 7-5 and win their Bowl game, that would be awesome.
Stranger
The real question is how long will he stay.
I'm a Bearbacker
Russell Gym
Never miss a chance.
MilliVanilli
Stranger said:

Since you think Baylor's coach is a hot commodity, you'd think you'd be more gung-ho about his tenure.
Oldbear83
Stranger said:

Generally, Rhule waits to leave until the interview is over, and he's had some time to exchange pleasantries.
historian
Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

On a regular basis.
It's kind of hard to do that in only 2 years (probably impossible). At least we are on a trajectory to do that, or least it seems so. I fully expect this year will have more wins than last year and I would not be too surprised if we get 9-10 this year.
MilliVanilli
historian said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

On a regular basis.
It's kind of hard to do that in only 2 years (probably impossible). At least we are on a trajectory to do that, or least it seems so. I fully expect this year will have more wins than last year and I would not be too surprised if we get 9-10 this year.
Barring a major injury bug, 9 to 10 wins is the expectation. This team is talented enough to go to the Alamo Bowl.
Oldbear83
historian said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

On a regular basis.
I agree Rhule has shown he can win Big XII football. But 7 wins should be a passing goal, not the ceiling or anywhere near it.

Personally, I believe Coach Rhule is very confident he will lead Baylor to a Big XI title before 2021, but he's careful about what he promises the media.
historian
MilliVanilli said:

historian said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

On a regular basis.
Barring a major injury bug, 9 to 10 wins is the expectation. This team is talented enough to go to the Alamo Bowl.

Agreed. All along, I've been hoping we get the Alamo Bowl this year. A NY6 bowl would be even better. In my view, 7 wins in 2019 is the floor. I see no reason why we cannot improve upon that by at least 2 wins--especially since 4 of our conference foes have new HC's and most of our toughest games are in Waco.
Russell Gym
Oldbear83 said:

historian said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

On a regular basis.
I agree Rhule has shown he can win Big XII football. But 7 wins should be a passing goal, not the ceiling or anywhere near it.

Personally, I believe Coach Rhule is very confident he will lead Baylor to a Big XI title before 2021, but he's careful about what he promises the media.

Who stated the goal of seven wins? I must've missed it. I agree that it's too low.
Russell Gym
BTW, this is a really good surface "look-in" for those outside the coaching profession - insight into analysis, prep, etc.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

I agree Rhule has shown he can win Big XII football.
He's 5-13 all time against conference opponents, 3-13 against conference opponents not named University of Kansas. The jury is still out.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Timbear
Rhule hasn't proven he can win in the Big 12 until he beats Texas and TCU. He'll Never beat Ok. Only the great Art Briles has EVER done that in Baylor football history, and he did it 3 times in a 4 year stretch.
S11
Staff
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

I agree Rhule has shown he can win Big XII football.
He's 5-13 all time against conference opponents, 3-13 against conference opponents not named University of Kansas. The jury is still out.

He inherited a roster that was severely depleted in 2017 vs the roster that was barely above .500 in 2016 and graduated their best assets. Mighty big asterisk.

Also his time at Temple bodes well as does his recent NFL draftees he recruited. Obviously more needs to be proven here because winning elsewhere doesn't always translate but given the roster he had each year I think he'll do well here.
S11
Staff
Timbear said:

Rhule hasn't proven he can win in the Big 12 until he beats Texas and TCU. He'll Never beat Ok. Only the great Art Briles has EVER done that in Baylor football history, and he did it 3 times in a 4 year stretch.

To be fair Briles is the only coach who has had a chance in terms of institutional support in the Big 12 era other than Rhule and Matt has been in a rebuild and drew two OU playoff teams where he came close to beating one or at least forcing OT. OU wasn't this offensively unstoppable from 2009-2014.
S11
Staff
Russell Gym said:

BTW, this is a really good surface "look-in" for those outside the coaching profession - insight into analysis, prep, etc.

Agree. There's a lot more to it than most realize
Oldbear83
Rhule lost several games he should never have lost in 2017.

That's undeniable.

He showed tremendous improvement in 2018.

Also undeniable.

S11
Staff
Oldbear83 said:

That's undeniable.

Also undeniable.

Which specific games?

Obviously I will grant UTSA and Liberty despite serious injury issues. What else? WV? OU? Texas? KSU? ISU? Duke? Tech?

With all due respect look up the pro day results for who he actually had in 2017 and compare them to mockdraftable.com's position averages. You'll find a massive issue at Safety, DE, OLB, and on the OL. That paired with massive injuries should really temper expectations.
SATXBear
Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

On a regular basis.

Says who? Briles was certainly not going to achieve that anymore.
Oldbear83
SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

On a regular basis.

Briles did more to achieve that than any other Baylor coach.

Hate him all you want, Briles made Baylor relevant to the national playoff discussion.

Maybe Rhule will, we shall see.
SATXBear
S11 said:

Timbear said:

To be fair Briles is the only coach who has had a chance in terms of institutional support in the Big 12 era other than Rhule and Matt has been in a rebuild and drew two OU playoff teams where he came close to beating one or at least forcing OT. OU wasn't this offensively unstoppable from 2009-2014.

Agree. OU and UT had some down times during the Briles era. Not that what Briles achieved was not great, but different circumstances for Rhule.
S11
Staff
SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

On a regular basis.

I don't agree but at minimum it's a debate.

That debate is also completely pointless at this point.

I'm glad Rhule has that goal and we'll all have some fun fall saturdays if he reaches it
Oldbear83
Not going to open that can of worms again.

Note that I give credit to Rhule for 2018, but any honest evaluation has to balance that with poor results in 2017.

My opinion, but I'm far from alone.
SATXBear
Oldbear83 said:

That's undeniable.

Also undeniable.

I could really care less about what happened in 2017.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.