Football
Sponsored by

New Hyatt Hotel/Named Grant Hotel across the river from the new basketball arena

18,592 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by SmasLeeviy
Singletary63
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Go to Baylorbears.com and look in the top right corner. 17 story hotel on 90 plus acres of land just east of the new track and directly across the river from the new Baylor basketball facility. The hope is it will be open in the fall of 2020. Either way this is exciting and going to add a really nice new area to the Baylor landscape!
Grant Hotel.....Thus football related!!!!!
Singletary63
57Bear
Moderator: Erroneously flagged!
Redbrickbear
Is Baylor involved with building this? or is this a privately funded project?
Sic Em Bears
Saw that too, tried to google it and got nothing.
DioNoZeus
THE BIG OVERNIGHTER!!!!
BellCountyBear
The Grant Teaff Hotel!
Grumpy
"Official hotel of Baylor Athletics." Interesting that they paid for that moniker and relationship with Baylor even before breaking ground. I had always thought Baylor should have its own hotel, like a number of other colleges, and have a hospitality major so that students could staff the hotel. I realize this is probably not going to be that kind of set up, but it's nice to have a hotel so close to the sports venues.
MilliVanilli
Grumpy said:

"Official hotel of Baylor Athletics." Interesting that they paid for that moniker and relationship with Baylor even before breaking ground. I had always thought Baylor should have its own hotel, like a number of other colleges, and have a hospitality major so that students could staff the hotel. I realize this is probably not going to be that kind of set up, but it's nice to have a hotel so close to the sports venues.
Downtown Hilton is gonna I guess be host to visiting teams still, but they gotta hate losing football team for home games, it was a draw to their premises.
Redbrickbear
Most colleges are building their own hotels on campus.

They seem to be money generators.

ut has had one for a while now..

arkansas, auburn, lsu, bama have one.

and aggy just built one on campus....of course its ugly as heck.
Redbrickbear
The general consensus seems to be that parking garages and hotels on college campuses eventually pay for themselves.

That seems questionable.... but its the general economic view out there right now.
whitetrash

That rendering shows mountains in the background (see bottom left corner beyond the lightpoles). Wherever it will be, there are no mountains in any direction from the low swampy land across from the new track.
57Bear
Is that where the Bush Library was proposed?
whitetrash
57Bear said:

Is that where the Bush Library was proposed?
I think something was already built on that site.

RegentCoverup
whitetrash said:

That rendering shows mountains in the background (see bottom left corner beyond the lightpoles). Wherever it will be, there are no mountains in any direction from the low swampy land across from the new track.
Apparently, you aren't aware of the manliness I bring to Waco when I am present.

If this is built, I will be your mountain, Huaco.
RegentCoverup
It would be nice if we could line the streets with banners of famous, ok, semifamous Baylor women that have appeared briefly in Hollywood film and TV spots.

We can start with Crystal Bernard and go all the way to Angela Kinsey.

Imagine the publicity!
ABC BEAR
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

It would be nice if we could line the streets with banners of famous, ok, semifamous Baylor women that have appeared briefly in Hollywood film and TV spots.

Imagine the publicity!
Women only? So you're going to leave out Stranger?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Imagine the publicity!

Missing a few more.
Media Bear
Redbrickbear said:

Most significant colleges/universities already have their own hotels on campus. I have stayed in several -- including ones at LSU, Iowa, UNC and Cal-Berkeley. Indeed there is a room in the LSU hotel that was "supersized" especially for one of the facility's leading donors -- Shaquille O'Neal.

If this truly is a BU hotel (and not some corporate chain venture -- at least one of which is also targeting colleges/universities nationwide), it is just another step in BU playing catch-up with other peer universities ...
PartyBear
It seems it is clearly a corporate chain venture. Isn't the Hyatt in the name? I don't think Baylor is going to go into the business of running a hotel.
Task Force 2015
As a Baylor related hotel will it feature alcohol free mini-bars and single beds?
Michibear
whitetrash said:

That rendering shows mountains in the background (see bottom left corner beyond the lightpoles).
The landfill off of Highway 84. Book it.
SMack
The guests will be at risk for gar attacks.

When will we learn?
Redbrickbear
Media Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Most significant colleges/universities already have their own hotels on campus. I have stayed in several -- including ones at LSU, Iowa, UNC and Cal-Berkeley. Indeed there is a room in the LSU hotel that was "supersized" especially for one of the facility's leading donors -- Shaquille O'Neal.

If this truly is a BU hotel (and not some corporate chain venture -- at least one of which is also targeting colleges/universities nationwide), it is just another step in BU playing catch-up with other peer universities ...
Yea, it was stupid of me to think that the Regents would have any vision in them.

I mean they can't even play "follow the leader" with the big boys and just copy them.

If everyone is building an on campus hotel and then letting someone manage it for them......it would show there is a demand and that these schools are making money off it.

Baylor's leaders have proven time and again to have NO vision, NO plan, and No clue about how to effectively run a major university.

Ashley Hodge
Staff
some interesting details here:

https://www.waco-texas.com/userfiles/cms-root/file/Z-18-19.pdf
Fozzie
Redbrickbear said:

Media Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Yea, it was stupid of me to think that the Regents would have any vision in them.

I mean they can't even play "follow the leader" with the big boys and just copy them.

If everyone is building an on campus hotel and then letting someone manage it for them......it would show there is a demand and that these schools are making money off it.

Baylor's leaders have proven time and again to have NO vision, NO plan, and No clue about how to effectively run a major university.

these posts always make me laugh especially considering there are CEOs or former CEOs on the board of regents for companies like Walmart, Hewlett Packard, Oracle, Baylor, Scott & White, Weatherford Intl, Comstock and many other well run companies.

To say these men and women have vision to run successful companies and some of the largest companies in the world but can't help guide a university doesn't make much sense to me. But don't ever give up your beliefs! It's the regents fault, now what's the question?
robby44
Brian Ethridge said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Imagine the publicity!

Missing a few more.

Kara Killmer from Chicago Fire
whitetrash
Ashley Hodge said:

Based on initial comments (without specifics) I thought this was going to be by Brazos Parking and the apartments that used to be crackhouses but have been reasonably cleaned up.

Instead this is proposed on part of the old Young Brothers gravel pit and storage yard across LaSalle at the dead end of MLK. As the crow flies, it would be roughly the same distance from the FC as the Mayborn Museum, and the same distance from McLane as the Courtyard downtown, if not a little further. Right now there is no pedestrian access to FC area (no sidewalk on LaSalle bridge, plus the need to cross the drainage ditch that runs between the FC parking lot and LaSalle). I would presume the new arena would include continuation of the riverwalk to and beyond LaSalle, but adding pedestrian access across the river would require a new bridge or an widening of the existing one.

And as far as proximity to local amenities, the closest restaurants to the site are the DQ and Subway at 2nd and LaSalle, and the closest gas station/C-store is the Alon a block further.
Michibear
Ashley Hodge said:

So, is this project actually moving forward? Would be kinda cool.

Developer seems to be Waco local since office is located on Sanger Ave.

Project contact info is for LM Dyson who seems to be a former Baylor real estate prof and athletic recruiter (per Waco Trib article). Does that mean the "Grant" in the name is Grant Teaff?

Dyson was part of a planned "Legacy Lofts" project on U Parks that seemed to have run into some issues:
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/legacy-lofts-apartment-project-near-baylor-stalls/article_3410b2ab-0269-593c-bba7-229200954349.html

This popped up with a google search.

[url=https://www.4shared.com/photo/MCMUzboDda/Capture__2_.html][/url]

Redbrickbear
Fozzie said:

Redbrickbear said:

Media Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

To say these men and women have vision to run successful companies and some of the largest companies in the world but can't help guide a university doesn't make much sense to me.
easy there little regent cultist.

The point is all major successful universities are building on campus hotels to capture that revenue.

yet the regents are caught yet again being last to the table.

When aggy is thinking more long term than you.....well you know you have screwed up.

Plus it must take the faith of a saint to still give yourself over to totally unquestioning obedience to the Regents after the last 8 years of massive scandals.

murder, rape, alumni association infighting.

If the Regents may be successful at making themselves money.....but they sure as heck are not at running Baylor in a efficient way.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
This hotel will not be owned by Baylor
OsoCoreyell
Redbrickbear said:

Media Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Y'all are excellent at finding things to ***** about. Seriously? Is it really surprising that an entirely privately funded university in Texas is not on the bleeding edge of facilities, especially as it relates to building a hotel? And as sure as you guys are *****ing about that, someone will come along and ***** about "How could we possibly be doing this risky thing when tuition is where it is?"
RansomBU
How could we possibly be doing this risky thing when tuition is where it is?
PartyBear
whitetrash said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Based on initial comments (without specifics) I thought this was going to be by Brazos Parking and the apartments that used to be crackhouses but have been reasonably cleaned up.

Instead this is proposed on part of the old Young Brothers gravel pit and storage yard across LaSalle at the dead end of MLK. As the crow flies, it would be roughly the same distance from the FC as the Mayborn Museum, and the same distance from McLane as the Courtyard downtown, if not a little further. Right now there is no pedestrian access to FC area (no sidewalk on LaSalle bridge, plus the need to cross the drainage ditch that runs between the FC parking lot and LaSalle). I would presume the new arena would include continuation of the riverwalk to and beyond LaSalle, but adding pedestrian access across the river would require a new bridge or an widening of the existing one.

And as far as proximity to local amenities, the closest restaurants to the site are the DQ and Subway at 2nd and LaSalle, and the closest gas station/C-store is the Alon a block further.
Hmm.....I'm surprised this location was chosen. This will be literally surrounded by dump like literally long abandoned property that looks like it can be used for the set of Walking Dead. I know something has to be first in a redeveloped area but this is going to be a weird location for something that is really nice for a while, perhaps along time. It is pretty close to McLennan County's Correctional Facilities, which are not ever going to be redone to be attractive. I was envisioning this to be down the street (MLK) from the football stadium and literally across the river from the the new hoops facility.
BearlyBeloved
whitetrash said:

The plan shows they're using a lot of the color gold. Honest-to-goodness genuine gold.

That's the only thing which matters--right????

CorsicanaBear
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this choice of locations. Scenic views of Bellmead are not really in high demand and building in an old gravel pit near a correctional facility, welll... Perhaps that's why I'm not a real estate developer. I'm also note the "residences" part of the name with some interest.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.