Story Poster
HYPE
ISU Fans Hate Baylor
Football
Jameson Houston
Chris Platt
Baylor Podcast
Baylor Football

Game Day Thread: Baylor (3-0) vs. Iowa State (2-1)

September 27, 2019

The Baylor Bears (3-0) return to McLane Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 28  to take on the Iowa State Cyclones (2-1) in their fourth game of the 2019 season at 2:30 p.m. CT.

New Member Special: Try SicEm365 Premium $5.00 until December 31!    

Baylor vs. ISU Articles

Title Author
Positives After Rice  J.J. Joe
Iowa State Statistical Preview Sam Bradshaw.
Concerns After Rice J.J. Joe
Can Baylor solve ISU's 3-3-5 defense? Sam Bradshaw
Trust the Podcast: Baylor prepared for ISU Craig Smoak
Welcome to Waco, Matt Campbell! Colt Barber
Is Baylor’s defense fool’s gold? Colt Barber
How to stop Brock Purdy and ISU’s offense Sam Bradshaw
ISU vs. Baylor Game Preview Grayson Grundhoefer
Scouting Iowa State J.J. Joe

DEPTH CHART | SCHEDULE | BIG 12 STANDINGS | COACHING STAFF

Matt Rhule Quote of the Week...

“This Iowa State team, they never beat themselves. They find a way to win the game within the game, and then they are a well-coached team. I think Coach Heacock, their defensive coordinator is one of the best in the country. And the defensive stats bear that out. They have great players on defense. [Greg] Eisworth is their middle safety, kind of like our Chris Miller who plays that same position for us and he is a dominant player who can defend the pass, come up on the run. They have Joshua Bailey their nose tackle and [Ray] Lima is just a fantastic player. They have great players all across the board on defense. They tackle, they get off blocks and Coach Heacock keeps you off balance, they always have something new for you, something different for you. They will pressure you, they will max drop. And offensively, Brock Purdy is a special player.”

Baylor’s Key Players

Quarterback #12 Charlie Brewer — Almost every game from here on out is going to be about the quarterback play. Brewer had a great first half performance against Rice but was not great in the second half along with the rest of the offense.

Running back #25 Trestan Ebner — Explosive plays were the story of the first two games of the season for Ebner but last week he faltered. He had seven carries for 10 yards plus one catch for five yards, it was rough.

Cornerback #13 Raleigh Texada — The team leader in pass breakups is Raleigh Texada. I like what I have seen from the junior cornerback but he has not been challenged to this level yet.

Safety #3 Chris Miller — Miller has been all over the field for the Bears this year and he will need to play like that in this game as well. The secondary has not been tested like they will be in this one and Miller will play a big role if the Bears are successful.

Iowa State Key Players

Quarterback #12 Brock Purdy — The leader and key to the Cyclone offense is this sophomore quarterback. Purdy has been terrific this season as he is completing 73.5% of his passes, has 989 yards passing, and six touchdown.

Wide receivers #8 Deshaunte Jones and #1 Tarique Milton — The Bears have not faced a talented duo like this so far this season and the  secondary will finally be tested. Senior receiver Deshaunte Jones came into the season with all of the hype as their number one guy.

Defensive end #3 Jaquan Bailey ​​​​​​ —  Well this season has been quite different than last for the 2nd team All-Big 12 performer from a year ago. He had eight sacks and 14.5 tackles for loss last year but so far this season he has zero in both categories.

Safety #12 Greg Eisworth — The Preseason 1st-Team All-Big 12 player has gotten off to a hot start this season as he is averaging 9.7 tackles per game and has two pass breakups. 

Discussion from...

Game Day Thread: Baylor (3-0) vs. Iowa State (2-1)

54,514 Views | 436 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boognish_bear
Robert Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Robert Wilson said:

Keep calling that 3 man rush, Snow

It'll lose the game

That 3 man rush consistently cost us dearly their last 2 TD drives

Gave the qb way way too much time and frees up the RB to flare out for all those open dump passes

Terrible and stubborn

We were far more successful when we sent at least a 4th man
bear2be2
Robert Wilson said:

Robert Wilson said:

It'll lose the game

Gave the qb way way too much time and frees up the RB to flare out for all those open dump passes

Terrible and stubborn

Well, we pitched a shutout for three quarters sending primarily three rushers at Purdy. Iowa State figured our defense out a little in the fourth quarter, using the matchup advantage they had with their big tight ends on our smaller DBs. But on the whole, the defense was outstanding.
Robert Wilson
bear2be2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Robert Wilson said:

It'll lose the game

Terrible and stubborn

Well, we pitched a shutout for three quarters sending primarily three rushers at Purdy. Iowa State figured our defense out a little in the fourth quarter, using the matchup advantage they had with their big tight ends on our smaller DBs. But on the whole, the defense was outstanding.

We mixed it up a lot more in the first half sending extra guys

Got in a rut in the 4th qtr playing too soft
MilliVanilli
Robert Wilson said:

bear2be2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Robert Wilson said:

It'll lose the game

Terrible and stubborn

We mixed it up a lot more in the first half sending extra guys

Got in a rut in the 4th qtr playing too soft
4-0
BBWCBear
bear2be2 said:

BBWCBear said:

MilliVanilli said:

BBWCBear said:

Loser U on the field now.
Baylor is 4-0 and on a six game win streak dating back to last year, that includes a bowl victory and you Caber High trolls continue to look like whiny *****es.

So.... the fact of my watching Baylor for sixty years and watching infinite "stubbing our own toe" games over that period thinking this looked like one brewing after a three TD lead... and you make it a Caber issue.? I have no response.

You probably weren't around for the '56 game with aggy in Waco were it was basically a duplicate with a different result. THAT'S one of many over 60+ years.

I am truly glad for this HC's win.
Your doubt doesn't make you a CABer, but it's time to change that mentality. Matt Rhule's teams have been really good in close games the past two years, and he's never lost when entering the fourth quarter with a lead. Keep the faith until this team gives you reasons not to. It's natural to be nervous in those situations, but too many here turn into fatalistic turds.

Point taken. After all these years being guilty of being a fatalistic turd came naturally. Guilty and I am not offended. CAB'r is a bit frustrating, especially since I've stated more than once that I have moved on.

I guess Milli could make a CAB'r reference out of my views regarding our political scene. There IS an agenda I believe on his part.
vanillabryce
Anyone: Briles might not be pure evil.

Milli (within minutes): Shut up CABer, you're a rape enabling degenerate with a mental disorder.

MilliVanilli
vanillabryce said:

Milli (within minutes): Shut up CABer, you're a rape enabling degenerate with a mental disorder.

Ha only a bunch of butt hurt cabers would play victim on a thread about Baylor going 4-0 after they called these kids "loser u".

You're snowflakes who want to act like fools with impunity.
Squatch Hunter
D line looked a little gassed in the fourth and we gifted them 30 yards on the go ahead drive. We won a game I had as a toss-up at the beginning of the year.
vanillabryce
MilliVanilli said:

vanillabryce said:

Ha only a bunch of butt hurt cabers would play victim on a thread about Baylor going 4-0 after they called these kids "loser u".

Don't worry. I'm not arguing with you. I'm laughing at you.
MilliVanilli
vanillabryce said:

MilliVanilli said:

vanillabryce said:

Don't worry. I'm not arguing with you. I'm laughing at you.
It's a good way to mask those butt hurt tears at Baylor moving on without you.

4-0
william
xiledinok
Very encouraging our program can turn out a solid defense.
The offense will get better. The staff will find good lineman.
Aliceinbubbleland
Great game Bears. 3 man rush didn't work too well in 4th. When they brought the house we stopped them but Arnold grabbed a face mask.

Watching tOSU makes me think that team may be one of the best ever. Nebraska can't be that bad.

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.