Football
Sponsored by

DEC rules Mt. Vernon may forfeit up to 5 games for playing ineligible players

33,009 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by kevinwood
SATXBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Timbear said:

Mt. Vernon lost big time last night. Everybody's happy now in their District.

Tim
Was the team that Mt Vernon lost to the top team or did those missing players make the difference? Serious question because figured you are keeping up.
SATXBear
Malbec said:

SATXBear said:

Dman said:

SATXBear said:

Dman said:

SATXBear said:

Dman said:

Page 7....Baylor is 5-0 and its homecoming...and we have insecure flowers who are still worried about the big bad boogie man and see him in their sleep keeping this thread alive.

2 kids were ruled eligible. Now they're not. Not one game is forfeited. This is the BIGGEST mountain out a mole hill ever. Despite the efforts of "experts" claiming this is a HUGE controversy. Its not

This is straight "off-season" crap when there isn't football to talk about. Pathetic..

You call things crap when the discussion is not to your liking. Not cool. Nothing wrong with people discussing a topic. Get over yourself.

It's homecoming..we are 5-0. Rhule is on a roll. And we have obsessed posters who see Briles in their sleep. This subject boils down to 2 kids who simply can't play out the rest of the season and not one game is being forfeited. Its not a controversy. It's weak. This kind of crap is all we had in the offseason when we couldn't talk actual football

Aren't you the one who said the free side needed more football talk? Make up your mind

But thanks for coming over from the high house (pay side) and blessing us with your presence. As you like to remind us

Weak response. You just repeated what I said. Any time I read a topic here, it seems like you feel compelled to moderate the free site. How come? It is a free board where people can talk.

Literally nothing I said is what you said. You're Clearly in need of attention tonight. You're going to have to find it somewhere else My strange little friend. Life in the real world is hopping tonight.

Do you ever get out of your basement or is the joy in your life just monitoring this board? Go out and get a real job like the rest of us. You will find true working relationships are better than your imaginary supervisor role here.
Some good stuff going on in town this weekend. So after you get back from Homecoming Parade, catch our #1 Volleyball Lady Bears take out TCU on FSSW at 1PM and then watch our #22 gridiron Bears maul Texas Tech, have a safe drive home, get some rest, then catch some of this action:

Those are some old pictures. There is a beer festival however in Dignowity Park this weekend.
SATXBear
Eball said:

SATXBear said:

Eball said:

trey3216 said:

Eball said:

trey3216 said:

Eball said:

ColomboLQ said:

Malbec said:

bear2be2 said:

Malbec said:

bear2be2 said:

Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

This case is a little different in that the kids in question were cleared before being ruled ineligible. But the fact that there were four or five kids that needed DEC hearings should raise flags/eyeballs. That's a huge number in one year for a 3A high school. In Briles' situation, he should be extra cautious when taking on transfers of questionable eligibility. All of the coaches I work with regularly are and they don't have Briles' baggage.
It isn't Briles decision to allow attendance at MV. If kids live in MV attendance zone, it is a right.

Playing athletics is a limited right. Living in the attendance zone doesn't mean you make the varsity.

The determination as to the motive for the transfer belongs to the DEC. The DEC approved before they disapproved. The vote for disapproval was unanimous, meaning the Mt Vernon rep voted 'no'.

5 transfers wanting to play for a coach seems like a positive for the coach.

It may be a positive for the coach. It's also against UIL rules if that was their primary motivation for transferring. I know CAB fans like to absolve him of all responsibility beyond minimum requirements and what is plausibly deniable. But trust me when I tell you that most head coaches and athletic directors don't have these issues because they take a more proactive approach.
Are you actually saying that a coach who had hardly even stepped on the campus before Fall practice orchestrated some illegal transfer of players from across the ocean? Let go of it man.
I'm not saying that at all. I'm not accusing Art of recruiting the players. No one is that I'm aware of. What I'm suggesting is he either failed to do his due diligence or intentionally overlooked some pretty big warning signs before putting them on varsity and utilizing their talents, which would follow the exact same pattern that got him in trouble here.
So, the DEC clears them to play on the varsity. The coach should then punish them and put them on the JV until he can do an investigation to see if the DEC's decision was wrong?
Some people on this site will apply a different set of rules to Briles just because it's Briles. That guy literally owns several people on this site.istrict
It amazes me how willing people are to state an opinion or take a side when they don't have a clue about the facts or the rules that apply...Everything that happened here is what happens all the time across Texas when kids transfer...this is a non story other than for the town of Mt Vernon and the district in every other case like this but because CAB is the coach...you have the obsessed ones aiming at his complete destruction chiming in and making it a bigger story than it is.

Predictable response. Sounds like the guy who leaves the bar at closing time with everyone else and he's had 5 beers, gets pulled over and gets a DUI. Then starts barking at the cops that the guy in the car in front of him had 12 beers. You can't ***** and moan when you get caught that everyone's doing it. You're the one that got caught doing it.

When you're under that much scrutiny to begin with, you might take a higher level of precaution.

Served on local school board and kids who played UIL sports. Every year kids transfer and their reasons are scrutinized. Every year some are ruled to have transferred for athletic reasons some are not. There appeals filed. It is not on coaches or schools but kids and parents. To move for right reasons and correctly handle paperwork. Coaches really are not involved and only in specific situations where a coach specifically recruits a player is that coach likely to get in trouble. Most of the time it is parents and kids wanting to go to specific programs. You sir are uninformed and full of bias and prejudice. You would make a great candidate to be the leader of a mob that carried out vigilante justice..,,
Is it on the kids and parents that Lynx was working as a part time assistant when not employed by the School District, and he was in fact, the family that the students in question came to live near? He's related to the kids through marriage. It's not a good look. That's what I've been saying all along.

I'm not full of bias and prejudice by any stretch. I'm calling a spade a spade because right now it looks like he's holding the Ace and the Queen, but he's playing Hearts, not Spades.
I can't believe you of all people would be arguing the absurdities of rules which allow for no exception or decisions based on a case by case basis...who does not move sometimes to be close to family or as a result of a families recommendation? I certainly would not fault Lynx for telling his family (Brother -in-laws?) that Mt Vernon and Cab would be a great fit for them? But because he does that means they moved for athletic purposes? What's crazy is that the parents were moving for work...yet if they consider what is a good fit for their two sons athletically no matter where they go they would have moved for athletic purposes and so therefor disallowed to compete at varsity level for a year...

Lynx is not a coach at Mt Vernon...someone alleged that they saw him with a headset and that he was a volunteer coach...you know he is clearly not supposed to do that and if he did and CAB agreed to it or participated in doing it then he is deserving of the public reprimand...a loud hand slap instead of a go stand in the corner for 30 minutes...very minor and very possibly refuted on appeal. Yet you and others trumpet it as if it were under the table payments of cash (can you say quid pro quo).

They started with the narrative that CAB recruited ineligible players and that there would be a forfeiture of games but when all that fell through they say well CAB used Lynx to recruit his family who was moving to area and had two good athletes...All of this transpired before CAB even got back to Mt Vernon and the job....the confirmation that they did move for a legitimate reason Dad's employment has never been in doubt. I guess that Lynx is not supposed to communicate at all with his family about anything related to football...I get it that it is unique but it is not necessarily nefarious. Lynx knows CABS system and has run it at QB and receiver...his brother in laws play for CAB...but yet he can't help them in any way? That just seems silly to me.

Eball
I love you man, but where do you come up with these fantastical ideas about Mt Vernon when you obviously have no clue what is going on in this nonissue debate? Not saying you are wrong, but your speculation is quite amazing to me.

All we know is that an article from a Dallas paper was sent out. Two kids were found eligible, but when more information came out they are now ineligible. Also, Briles had someone not employed by the district acting as a coach on the practice field. Nothing more.

I have no idea where you come up with these crazy speculative ideas because you absolutely do not know.
Are you drunk?

Eball
You turn every comment about Briles into some type of courtroom legal defense. You literally know nothing about the situation.
Dman
Game day. 5-0. Homecoming. Rhule and our boys can be bowl eligible today..... And it's Mr "on pay-side we talk football"" himself keeping this pathetic thread alive.

Priceless.
Sic'em.

MilliVanilli
BUGWBBear said:

Well, after a bye, Jefferson pounded them 47-16 tonight. Funny how there was no story. Thank God for Dave Campbell's Texas Football website.

Obviously nothing clicked on either side of the ball for Mt Vernon tonight.

Hopefully Baylor continues on...
I hear this was Art Briles' latest bowl, and he actually found a way to finish one for once...

xiledinok
Timbear said:

Mt. Vernon lost big time last night. Everybody's happy now in their District.
They would have gotten drilled by Jefferson even with their kids whose parents thought it was a good idea to have kids in high school living in a trailer park because uncle Eddie coaches football in a one water tower town. I would recommend putting a family member in a fireplace for coming up with that football centric idea.

Timbear, that's what happens to that offense with equal talent on the other team.

Eball, what size district did you serve as a school board member? Your take on transfers is lousy and cannot be above modern day 4A. Don't be offended but some of these 6As have more kids in a graduating class than in an entire dinky district.

xiledinok
MilliVanilli said:

BUGWBBear said:

Well, after a bye, Jefferson pounded them 47-16 tonight. Funny how there was no story. Thank God for Dave Campbell's Texas Football website.

Obviously nothing clicked on either side of the ball for Mt Vernon tonight.

Hopefully Baylor continues on...
I hear this was Art Briles' latest bowl, and he actually found a way to finish one for once...

Did Jefferson run around the field dressed in Clay Shaw \ Dave Boren sex masks, grabbing their balls and tribal dancing after their blowout win? Video please!
Timbear
Hey Saxt, first of all, I'm bringing my grandson to the game today. We are pumped and excited. Yes, their opponent was rated #4 in the state, and those 2 players are star QB's. Sic'em Bears, Beat Tech! All the best to you today.
xiledinok
No wonder Mt V was rolling. Caber cool imported their quarterbacks. Geez, only wreckless non self contained Art would try that transfer stunt.
SATXBear
Timbear said:

Hey Saxt, first of all, I'm bringing my grandson to the game today. We are pumped and excited. Yes, their opponent was rated #4 in the state, and those 2 players are star QB's. Sic'em Bears, Beat Tech! All the best to you today.

Thanks for the info Tim
Sic em Bears. Go get em Astros
Great day for sports as I watch my kids compete today also.

Enjoy your day with those grandkids!
SATXBear
Dman said:

Game day. 5-0. Homecoming. Rhule and our boys can be bowl eligible today..... And it's Mr "on pay-side we talk football"" himself keeping this pathetic thread alive.

Priceless.
Sic'em.

Of all people on this site, you are the last person worthy of a football discussion, just sayin....
Eball
SATXBear said:

Eball said:

SATXBear said:

Eball said:

trey3216 said:

Eball said:

trey3216 said:

Eball said:

ColomboLQ said:

Malbec said:

bear2be2 said:

Malbec said:

bear2be2 said:

Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

This case is a little different in that the kids in question were cleared before being ruled ineligible. But the fact that there were four or five kids that needed DEC hearings should raise flags/eyeballs. That's a huge number in one year for a 3A high school. In Briles' situation, he should be extra cautious when taking on transfers of questionable eligibility. All of the coaches I work with regularly are and they don't have Briles' baggage.
It isn't Briles decision to allow attendance at MV. If kids live in MV attendance zone, it is a right.

Playing athletics is a limited right. Living in the attendance zone doesn't mean you make the varsity.

The determination as to the motive for the transfer belongs to the DEC. The DEC approved before they disapproved. The vote for disapproval was unanimous, meaning the Mt Vernon rep voted 'no'.

It may be a positive for the coach. It's also against UIL rules if that was their primary motivation for transferring. I know CAB fans like to absolve him of all responsibility beyond minimum requirements and what is plausibly deniable. But trust me when I tell you that most head coaches and athletic directors don't have these issues because they take a more proactive approach.
Are you actually saying that a coach who had hardly even stepped on the campus before Fall practice orchestrated some illegal transfer of players from across the ocean? Let go of it man.
I'm not saying that at all. I'm not accusing Art of recruiting the players. No one is that I'm aware of. What I'm suggesting is he either failed to do his due diligence or intentionally overlooked some pretty big warning signs before putting them on varsity and utilizing their talents, which would follow the exact same pattern that got him in trouble here.
So, the DEC clears them to play on the varsity. The coach should then punish them and put them on the JV until he can do an investigation to see if the DEC's decision was wrong?
Some people on this site will apply a different set of rules to Briles just because it's Briles. That guy literally owns several people on this site.istrict
It amazes me how willing people are to state an opinion or take a side when they don't have a clue about the facts or the rules that apply...Everything that happened here is what happens all the time across Texas when kids transfer...this is a non story other than for the town of Mt Vernon and the district in every other case like this but because CAB is the coach...you have the obsessed ones aiming at his complete destruction chiming in and making it a bigger story than it is.

Predictable response. Sounds like the guy who leaves the bar at closing time with everyone else and he's had 5 beers, gets pulled over and gets a DUI. Then starts barking at the cops that the guy in the car in front of him had 12 beers. You can't ***** and moan when you get caught that everyone's doing it. You're the one that got caught doing it.

When you're under that much scrutiny to begin with, you might take a higher level of precaution.

Served on local school board and kids who played UIL sports. Every year kids transfer and their reasons are scrutinized. Every year some are ruled to have transferred for athletic reasons some are not. There appeals filed. It is not on coaches or schools but kids and parents. To move for right reasons and correctly handle paperwork. Coaches really are not involved and only in specific situations where a coach specifically recruits a player is that coach likely to get in trouble. Most of the time it is parents and kids wanting to go to specific programs. You sir are uninformed and full of bias and prejudice. You would make a great candidate to be the leader of a mob that carried out vigilante justice..,,
Is it on the kids and parents that Lynx was working as a part time assistant when not employed by the School District, and he was in fact, the family that the students in question came to live near? He's related to the kids through marriage. It's not a good look. That's what I've been saying all along.

I'm not full of bias and prejudice by any stretch. I'm calling a spade a spade because right now it looks like he's holding the Ace and the Queen, but he's playing Hearts, not Spades.
I can't believe you of all people would be arguing the absurdities of rules which allow for no exception or decisions based on a case by case basis...who does not move sometimes to be close to family or as a result of a families recommendation? I certainly would not fault Lynx for telling his family (Brother -in-laws?) that Mt Vernon and Cab would be a great fit for them? But because he does that means they moved for athletic purposes? What's crazy is that the parents were moving for work...yet if they consider what is a good fit for their two sons athletically no matter where they go they would have moved for athletic purposes and so therefor disallowed to compete at varsity level for a year...

Lynx is not a coach at Mt Vernon...someone alleged that they saw him with a headset and that he was a volunteer coach...you know he is clearly not supposed to do that and if he did and CAB agreed to it or participated in doing it then he is deserving of the public reprimand...a loud hand slap instead of a go stand in the corner for 30 minutes...very minor and very possibly refuted on appeal. Yet you and others trumpet it as if it were under the table payments of cash (can you say quid pro quo).

They started with the narrative that CAB recruited ineligible players and that there would be a forfeiture of games but when all that fell through they say well CAB used Lynx to recruit his family who was moving to area and had two good athletes...All of this transpired before CAB even got back to Mt Vernon and the job....the confirmation that they did move for a legitimate reason Dad's employment has never been in doubt. I guess that Lynx is not supposed to communicate at all with his family about anything related to football...I get it that it is unique but it is not necessarily nefarious. Lynx knows CABS system and has run it at QB and receiver...his brother in laws play for CAB...but yet he can't help them in any way? That just seems silly to me.

Eball
I love you man, but where do you come up with these fantastical ideas about Mt Vernon when you obviously have no clue what is going on in this nonissue debate? Not saying you are wrong, but your speculation is quite amazing to me.

All we know is that an article from a Dallas paper was sent out. Two kids were found eligible, but when more information came out they are now ineligible. Also, Briles had someone not employed by the district acting as a coach on the practice field. Nothing more.

I have no idea where you come up with these crazy speculative ideas because you absolutely do not know.
Are you drunk?

Eball
You turn every comment about Briles into some type of courtroom legal defense. You literally know nothing about the situation.
I know we have our moments...and I should just let this go but...to the degree my comments defend CAB I do not deny it but the nature was directed at people who either reported on events with no knowledge at all about how things work at the HS/UIL level and as reporters just did sloppy work for a headline. Of course I was also shooting at several posters one in particular(certainly not you) who I felt was being absolutely disingenuous about his opinion and purported knowledge of how things work.

I never said I had inside knowledge of this particular incident/situation however, I had two kids who played UIL sports, I served on a local School Board, we hired and fired folks and made all kinds of evaluations about situations. I have even represented parents, kids and teachers and coaches in various school law and UIL situations. I certainly feel I have as much if not more insight and ability to comment on this situation than a lot of others who commented. Does it mean I am necessarily right no but I certainly know when a lot of folks are just flat wrong or lacking in any real understanding of how similar situations like this work out.

Sic Em
xiledinok
Eball, what size was your district?
oldbear69
xiledinok said:

No wonder Mt V was rolling. Caber cool imported their quarterbacks. Geez, only wreckless non self contained Art would try that transfer stunt.
Shutty x ... u have no idea how hard it is to recruit to Mt Vernon ...
xiledinok
oldbear69 said:

xiledinok said:

They recruited their quarterbacks.

What kind of Caucasians let their wanna be stud football players transfer into a 3A school?
They are supposed to transfer up unless Uncle Eddie needs a job making a fake documentary and coach for Junior Samples Briles.

Eball, for a preacher and a lawyer (omg, an evangelical derp), you show a complete lack of character refusing to admit you were elected by a small school district to promote vouchers and tear apart those public school institutions. You come off as a guy who never left his home county.
bear2be2
xiledinok said:

oldbear69 said:

xiledinok said:

What kind of Caucasians let their wanna be stud football players transfer into a 3A school?
They are supposed to transfer up unless Uncle Eddie needs a job making a fake documentary and coach for Junior Samples Briles.

Eball, for a preacher and a lawyer (omg, an evangelical derp), you show a complete lack of character refusing to admit you were elected by a small school district to promote vouchers and tear apart those public school institutions. You come off as a guy who never left his home county.
This sounds a lot like Refugio, which is coincidentally where Lynx finished his high school career.
xiledinok
bear2be2 said:

xiledinok said:

oldbear69 said:

xiledinok said:

This sounds a lot like Refugio, which is coincidentally where Lynx finished his high school career.
He and his daddy got butt drilled by the Canadian Wildcats. If you ever saw Caber crew one versus Canadian, you would see a clean Texas Panhandle town versus a bunch of cancer mouthed coaches and their low class team members.
SATXBear
Eball said:

SATXBear said:

Eball said:

SATXBear said:

Eball said:

trey3216 said:

Eball said:

trey3216 said:

Eball said:

ColomboLQ said:

Malbec said:

bear2be2 said:

Malbec said:

bear2be2 said:

Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

Eball

Are you drunk?

Eball
I know we have our moments...and I should just let this go but...to the degree my comments defend CAB I do not deny it but the nature was directed at people who either reported on events with no knowledge at all about how things work at the HS/UIL level and as reporters just did sloppy work for a headline. Of course I was also shooting at several posters one in particular(certainly not you) who I felt was being absolutely disingenuous about his opinion and purported knowledge of how things work.

I never said I had inside knowledge of this particular incident/situation however, I had two kids who played UIL sports, I served on a local School Board, we hired and fired folks and made all kinds of evaluations about situations. I have even represented parents, kids and teachers and coaches in various school law and UIL situations. I certainly feel I have as much if not more insight and ability to comment on this situation than a lot of others who commented. Does it mean I am necessarily right no but I certainly know when a lot of folks are just flat wrong or lacking in any real understanding of how similar situations like this work out.

Sic Em

Cool. We are good.
bear2be2
xiledinok said:

bear2be2 said:

xiledinok said:

oldbear69 said:

xiledinok said:

He and his daddy got butt drilled by the Canadian Wildcats. If you ever saw Caber crew one versus Canadian, you would see a clean Texas Panhandle town versus a bunch of cancer mouthed coaches and their low class team members.
One of my favorite memories of covering high school sports was watching Brent West's Cisco team throttle Refugio in 2013. Jason Herring's a total sleazeball, and a bunch of homegrown Cisco kids put him in his place that night.
xiledinok
bear2be2 said:

xiledinok said:

bear2be2 said:

xiledinok said:

oldbear69 said:

xiledinok said:

One of my favorite memories of covering high school sports was watching Brent West's Cisco team throttle Refugio in 2013. Jason Herring's a total sleazeball, and a bunch of homegrown Cisco kids put him in his place that night.
We should have known when Lynx played and terrible Pat Colbert wasn't benched in 2015 that old Caber was indoctrinating guys into his coaching mafia. Bended over boys are loyal.
BUGWBBear
zunooreo said:

This is the dumbest thing ever, by the media. They (media / social media heroes / the trolls on this free site / etc) all want attention and clicks, and Coach Briles is an easy meal ticket punch for them still, so they track and pile on immediately anytime anything happens around this man. Sad....and amusing all at the same time. Their is NO recruiting in high school football, and Coach Briles had nothing to do with those kids moving into the area. This same event/scenario plays out in many school districts across the state every year and you never hear a thing about them. But this one......Satan has appeared and is walking the earth. This is all simply the feeding frenzy that still surrounds CAB. Hopefully, as many opine on here, it will go away soon and let this man go.

Sic'em

Thank you. I laughed my ass off when someone suggested they recruit. Particularly two brothers from Colorado?

And yeah, this stuff happens all the time. Last one I heard of was between Odessa and Midland, years ago.
trey3216
Apparently the appeal was rejected by UIL and the two kids will remain ineligible
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
xiledinok
trey3216 said:

Apparently the appeal was rejected by UIL and the two kids will remain ineligible

You think those two will enjoy living in the trailer with Uncle Eddie in the hamlet with no football and just school or just transfer back to Colorado?
gold rewards
Thank you for the update.
TheAgentGrant
Who cares. You're like a dude that got dumped by his girlfriend. STFU you're third grade rant no one cares about. You are no longer X....I mean D....it's now Mikey!

Malbec
TheAgentGrant said:

Who cares. You're like a dude that got dumped by his girlfriend. STFU you're third grade rant no one cares about. You are no longer X....I mean D....it's now Mikey!

Yeah, since baseball is their sport, I think they'll be okay.
BUGWBBear
trey3216 said:

Yet no forfeits. This'll piss off the drama queens, but glad CAB can move on.
Forest Bueller
xiledinok said:

bear2be2 said:

xiledinok said:

oldbear69 said:

xiledinok said:

Canadian is darn good again this year. Hope to catch a game when they advance well into the playoffs.
boognish_bear

Why the UIL ruled two Mount Vernon players ineligible, and what it means for ex-Baylor head coach Art Briles

Briles was also publicly reprimanded earlier this month during the appeals process.

Editor's note: This story has been updated since it was first published.

PFLUGERVILLE Two Mount Vernon football players, coached by former Baylor head coach Art Briles, were ruled ineligible by the UIL at an appeals hearing Tuesday, ending a back-and-forth process that's added another layer of scrutiny to the small East Texas community and its football program.

The case involved two brothers from Colorado who showed up in Mount Vernon a few months after the Class 3A school became the first place in North America to hire Briles since 2016, when Baylor fired him and paid him a $15.1 million settlement amid a sexual-assault scandal at the university.

Briles has denied wrongdoing, but a national microscope has followed him to Mount Vernon. A former Baylor football player also followed Briles there, and his connection to the two-now-ineligible players was among the issues brought up during the appeals process.

Cameron and Brock Nellor, two transfers from Thompson Valley High School in Loveland, Colo., originally had their eligibility upheld Sept. 18 at a 7-3A Division I District Executive Committee meeting.

That decision was unanimously reversed, however, at a second district committee meeting Oct. 8, a ruling the UIL's State Executive Committee upheld Tuesday.

"We're disappointed in the decision of the State Executive Committee, but we have to respect that," said Mount Vernon ISD Superintendent Jason McCullough, who provided a statement but declined follow-up questions. "That is their role and the decision they've made. We still believe the Nellors moved here and moved to Mount Vernon, as they should have the right to, and our view still is it wasn't for athletic purposes."

The state committee voted 4-1 to deny the appeal. Moody ISD's Gary Martel was the lone dissenter.

"It was a very tough decision," said Mike Motheral, chairman of the state committee. "When it came time to vote, I could not have told you how the vote was going to go."

The Nellors will not be allowed to participate in athletics the rest of the school year. Cameron Nellor starred in three sports in Colorado. Mount Vernon has gone 1-1 since the Nellor brothers were ruled ineligible.

Tuesday's hearing lasted over an hour. On paper, it had a simple goal: to hear from several parties and use evidence to find if the Nellors' move to Mount Vernon was for athletic purposes or not. That goal revolved around one main question: Why did they choose Mount Vernon, a town of about 3,000 people nearly 1,000 miles from their previous home?

The Nellors had their reasons. Sandi Nellor, Brock and Cameron's mother, had accepted a new regional position Aug. 3, and Mount Vernon right off Interstate 30 in the middle of that region was a good fit.

It was also a chance for Brock to get away from his previous school, where Sandi Nellor said he had been a victim of bullying.

But there was one obvious connection between the Nellors and Mount Vernon: Lynx Hawthorne, a former Baylor football player and a relative of the Nellors. Hawthorne played for Briles in Italy and was one person Briles considered bringing with him as an assistant to Mount Vernon, McCullough confirmed.

Hawthorne, who was at Tuesday's hearing and declined to comment, ultimately decided not to join Briles' staff. Still, he was there on the first day of practice Aug. 5 working for a documentary crew that's been following Briles.

Briles, when asked after the first day of practice about former Baylor players on his coaching staff, also mentioned Hawthorne by name. Briles was reprimanded by the district committee Oct. 8 after the panel ruled Briles was using Hawthorne, not a full-time employee of the district, as an assistant coach, which is a UIL violation.

At one point, the Nellor brothers lived in a RV Park in Mount Vernon with Hawthorne until the whole family moved.

"My guess is, if you were to poll the committee, that that had probably something to do with it," Motheral said regarding Hawthorne's connection to Mount Vernon, "and that it was probably the biggest issue."

But it wasn't the only issue the district committee presented Tuesday. The committee said the Nellors weren't forthcoming through the first two hearings, specifically when it came to answering questions about the date the family arrived in the area. The Nellors addressed those concerns in a way that Motheral said was presented very well.

Still, if you asked Tiger Hanner, the attorney for the Nellor family, this whole thing was about something else.

"I have my own personal opinion," he said, "that the district is upset about Art Briles being the head coach at Mount Vernon."

Hanner, a longtime Austin-area attorney who has dealt with eligibility proceedings before, said he was stunned at the ruling by the state committee because he said he didn't see any outstanding evidence that showed the Nellors moved for athletic purposes.

He alleged that the district committee "aggressively" pursued a residency violation against the Nellors, but when that wasn't found they moved onto transferring for athletic reasons. Before Hanner spoke, Brian Bobbitt, the New Boston ISD superintendent, said the proceeding wasn't a "witch hunt," adding that they looked into the eligibility of two other Mount Vernon players at the first district committee meeting, both of whom were ruled eligible.

Briles attended Tuesday's hearing. And though he was reprimanded by the district committee this month, Motheral made it clear that this was a separate issue.

"Coach Briles and his staff, none of them were ever accused of this," Motheral said, "and they're not guilty of any kind of recruiting."

But Brock Nellor, a junior, is done for the year, and senior Cameron Nellor's high school career is now over.

"This is it," Hanner said. "This was their day in court."
BearlySober
BearlySober said:

One of the schools that I sell to is going through this right now as well. It happens a lot but is obviously much more sensational when the coach in question has a history and is nationally known.
Since I mentioned this I'll provide the update that no one has asked for.

Unlike Mt. Vernon, my customer ended up having to pay a $3750 fine and forfeited four games - they went from 5-1 to 1-5. The three players in question were kicked off the team. The head coach was fired and reassigned within the district. Four assistant coaches were removed (volunteer coaches, not in the school system). I was talking to someone at the school earlier today and the fine is actually up to $5300, even though the $3750 amount is the only one reported. That's a lot of money for the public schools over here!
kevinwood
Let me guess, the ineligible players were former expelled Briles-era players that never actually got a degree.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.