Story Poster
Baylor Football

Baylor to wear Sailor Bear helmet for Homecoming game

October 11, 2019

After wearing the Sailor Bear logo on their helmets for the first time at Homecoming in 2018, Baylor looks like they are starting a new tradition with the choice to wear the Sailor Bear once again as part of their new uniforms introduced this offseason.

In a victory over Oklahoma State last fall, the Bears wore their white helmet accented with a white stripe and the never-used Sailor Bear logo. For 2019, the Sailor Bear logo was placed on Baylor’s solid green helmet. 

Baylor is set to take on Texas Tech Saturday at 3:00 p.m. CT at McLane Stadium. The game will air live on FS1.

Discussion from...

Baylor to wear Sailor Bear helmet for Homecoming game

10,884 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BellCountyBear
SIC EM 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Love it...Sic 'em!
Karab
I'm also a big fan of this. As a ROTC guy at Baylor, Sailor Bear was something I always wanted the university to bring back
McCavebear
Great! Honors all us old alumni! And helped get the upset over okie st last yr!
McCavebear Lives!
chorne68
Don't like it but if we win I will.
BaylorRocks
McCavebear said:

Great! Honors all us old alumni! And helped get the upset over okie st last yr!
LOL, a helmet logo helped win a football game........

Sic'em
historian
It didn't help against TCU last year.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Wichitabear
Suck it up Historian, Lolol
historian
Wichitabear said:

Suck it up Historian, Lolol
I'm not saying I was happy about it. Just relating an inconvenient fact. I dont't think the Sailor Bear has any bearing on whether we win or lose. I thought it looked great against OSU and that was a wonderful Homecoming victory in 2018. But it was a coincidence. I think it will look great for another great Homecoming victory tomorrow. Another coincidence.

TCU 2018 was an extremely frustrating game. I think this is the year we finally break their streak and maybe begin one of our own. We need a few years of wins over the Frogs. But one thing at a time: first Tech.

Sic 'em Bears!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Wichitabear
Did I ever tell you Sailor Bear is not my favorite. Lolol settle down people! He can came up once a year.
Sampi82
Greenbear
Love Sailor Bear as a kid although I never really understand the connection to Baylor. Probably just a WWII connection?
Saddle Up!
Greenbear said:

Love Sailor Bear as a kid although I never really understand the connection to Baylor. Probably just a WWII connection?

From baylor.edu:

"In the 1950s when college football was truly regional, and few fans saw logos for teams outside their region a former Disney employee named Arthur Evans visited colleges across the country, offering to draw logos for them. One of them was Sailor Bear which he created not just for Baylor, but for almost any school that had a Bear mascot. (He did the same with other animals; for instance, this tiger, used by LSU, Auburn, Missouri and others.) This 1952 pennant is the first known appearance of Baylor's version of this bear."

Really has nothing to do with Baylor. We were just another stop, and another paycheck for the Disney artist. Now it's Nike.
Yogi
Just another mini helmet to add to the collection
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BayouCity
Saw this on Instagram but I don't think it's right. The pictures I saw didn't look like green chrome to me.

https://instagr.am/p/B3fQJhLFohY
BellCountyBear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.