Football
Sponsored by

"Matt Rhule Will Almost Definitely Be an NFL Coach Next Year."

20,546 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Russell Gym
Beaneater
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldbear83 said:

Jack Bauer said:

So I read Jason Garrett's contract expires Jan 1st so they wont fire him, he will just expire on Wednesday.
Sounds ominous when you put it that way.
I do not now recall, nor do I ever recall recalling, any knowledge of the circumstances of the Jason Garrett contract, including its expiration terms.

If any.

And by contract I am specifically referring to the alleged contract between Mr. Garrett and the Dallas Cowboys. I have no recollection of any other contract involving Mr. Garrett.

EvilTroyAndAbed
Jack Bauer said:

And ESPN speculating that the J-E-T-S will fire their coach and go after Matt Rhule

HOW THE AFC GETS WEIRD

The Jets hire Matt Rhule as coach
After firing Todd Bowles and flirting with trendy offensive coaches to try to follow the Sean McVay model, the Jets make an attempt to rebuild their program by hiring away Rhule from Baylor.

The hiring nearly falls apart when the Jets insist on naming Rhule's offensive coordinator, but when he threatens to walk away from negotiations, the team gives in and lets Rhule make his own hire. He attempts to lure away Ravens offensive line coach Greg Roman, who opts for a promotion in Baltimore, before hiring former Browns coach Rob Chudzinski.
No.

This is a story where the writer re-imagines the 2019 season and the Jets hire Rhule instead of Gase. It's a "what if" story.
Jack Bauer
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Jack Bauer said:

And ESPN speculating that the J-E-T-S will fire their coach and go after Matt Rhule

HOW THE AFC GETS WEIRD

The Jets hire Matt Rhule as coach
After firing Todd Bowles and flirting with trendy offensive coaches to try to follow the Sean McVay model, the Jets make an attempt to rebuild their program by hiring away Rhule from Baylor.

The hiring nearly falls apart when the Jets insist on naming Rhule's offensive coordinator, but when he threatens to walk away from negotiations, the team gives in and lets Rhule make his own hire. He attempts to lure away Ravens offensive line coach Greg Roman, who opts for a promotion in Baltimore, before hiring former Browns coach Rob Chudzinski.
No.

This is a story where the writer re-imagines the 2019 season and the Jets hire Rhule instead of Gase. It's a "what if" story.

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I am going paranoid it seems.
Oldbear83
Russell Gym said:

Oldbear83 said:

PLSQL_BEAR said:

Blogging the Boys just put up a post on CMR being the next Cowboy's head coach.
That's just desperation.

CMR is way too smart to fall into that hellhole of a job. Seems like being a Cowboy coach is death to a career, and everyone knows it.

ALL coaches know this. Yet, someone will take the job.
Ideally, someone with a character similar to Jerry.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Oldbear83
Beaneater said:

Oldbear83 said:

Jack Bauer said:

So I read Jason Garrett's contract expires Jan 1st so they wont fire him, he will just expire on Wednesday.
Sounds ominous when you put it that way.
I do not now recall, nor do I ever recall recalling, any knowledge of the circumstances of the Jason Garrett contract, including its expiration terms.

If any.

And by contract I am specifically referring to the alleged contract between Mr. Garrett and the Dallas Cowboys. I have no recollection of any other contract involving Mr. Garrett.

I was talking about someone 'expiring on Wednesday'.

I know Football is very important to a lot of Texans, but that is still a really harsh way to deal with an underperforming coach, the way that sounds.
Oldbear83
EvilTroy: "You're talking as if the Cowboy job is the same as the Cleveland job or the Jacksonville job."

I'd say the Jacksonville job has better long-term prospects. Jerry is not known for standing by his coaches, nor for reasonable working conditions.

Ursus Americanus
Oldbear83 said:

EvilTroy: "You're talking as if the Cowboy job is the same as the Cleveland job or the Jacksonville job."

I'd say the Jacksonville job has better long-term prospects. Jerry is not known for standing by his coaches, nor for reasonable working conditions.

He gave Garrett 9 years and $45 million dollars, I think he gave him a pretty long leash and a long-term gig, more than 15 percent of his earthly life as the Cowboys HC.

Oldbear83
Ursus Americanus said:

Oldbear83 said:

He gave Garrett 9 years and $45 million dollars, I think he gave him a pretty long leash and a long-term gig, more than 15 percent of his earthly life as the Cowboys HC.

When I wrote "working conditions", I meant control of the team. Jerry hires coaches he can treat like a toy or a pet dog.
Ursus Americanus
Oldbear83 said:

Ursus Americanus said:

Oldbear83 said:

When I wrote "working conditions", I meant control of the team. Jerry hires coaches he can treat like a toy or a pet dog.
To be fair, personnel in Dallas is the best it has been since their dynasty days in the 1990s, they have drafted very well the last half decade or so and made intelligent trade decisions, they are not well motivated or coached though.

Oldbear83
Ursus: "they are not well motivated or coached though."

Something I have heard about the Cowboys since Jimmy Johnson was the coach.
Ursus Americanus
Oldbear83 said:

They had Parcells, he just didn't have the talent and had few bad breaks to boot.

Oldbear83
Ursus Americanus said:

Oldbear83 said:

They had Parcells, he just didn't have the talent and had few bad breaks to boot.

Uh-huh, sure.
Ursus Americanus
Oldbear83 said:

Ursus Americanus said:

Oldbear83 said:

Uh-huh, sure.
If you think Bill Parcells was micro-managed I don't know what to tell you, he was the king of not being micro-managed.

Oldbear83
Ursus Americanus said:

Oldbear83 said:

Ursus Americanus said:

Oldbear83 said:

Uh-huh, sure.
If you think Bill Parcells was micro-managed I don't know what to tell you, he was the king of not being micro-managed.

Who does Jerry trust and respect, aside from Jerry?
Ursus Americanus
Oldbear83 said:

Ursus Americanus said:

Oldbear83 said:

Ursus Americanus said:

Oldbear83 said:

Uh-huh, sure.

Who does Jerry trust and respect, aside from Jerry?
Way to pivot away from the reality Parcells had full control from 2003 to 2006, but it didn't workout, but he left a lot of the pieces in place for the success of 2007 to 2009.

Fact is Garrett is a mediocre coach, a nice guy, but mediocre coach. I'm no Jones apologist, but he's surrendered control to coaches like Parcells and it didn't work out, he's let Stephen control GM duties and the drafting got much better, and he gave long tenure to Garrett.

What more do you really want him to do?

Jerry's ego and Jimmy's ego may have short changed their 90s dynasty, but Jerry Jones isn't to blame for Garret's mediocrity unless you want to blame him for keeping Garret so long, and in part he's been there so long because he was implementing Norv Turner offense and knew what a Super Bowl team looked like from his 90s days.

Fact is, the 90s are over, they can't be recaptured, Garret was an attempt to do so.

Now they have a really talented roster, but need a different coaching direction.

I feel a little sorry for Jerry, because he hasn't been this meddlesome owner beyond his love of a microphone.

Stephen runs personnel, and Stephen listens to Garrett and the scouting.

Oldbear83
Lotta words for such a weak result, Ursus.

I'm beginning to think you are the Undead Milli.
Ursus Americanus
Oldbear83 said:

That must be a compliment, because you were given a civil and reasoned response and instead chose to act like a child.

Oldbear83
Ursus Americanus said:

Oldbear83 said:

That must be a compliment, because you were given a civil and reasoned response and instead chose to act like a child.

Hmm, yep, that's full-on Milli behavior there.

Duly noted.
Ursus Americanus
Oldbear83 said:

Ursus Americanus said:

Oldbear83 said:

Hmm, yep, that's full-on Milli behavior there.

Duly noted.
Well, mea culpa for thinking you were an adult that wanted to talk about football.

I'll let you chase your imaginary friend instead. there seem to be a couple like you on the free side, now I understand why you get your ass handed to you on the Premium side so much.

You're on ignore now, no time for old farts that just want to hear themselves.

EvilTroyAndAbed
Oldbear83 said:

He gave Jason Garrett 9 1/2 years! How is that not standing by your coach? Since Garrett took over, Jacksonville has had 5 head coaches. But yeah, they have better long term prospects.

I hate Jerry too, but the Dallas job is not on par with the lower level jobs in ther NFL.
Ursus Americanus
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Oldbear83 said:

He gave Jason Garrett 9 1/2 years! How is that not standing by your coach? Since Garrett took over, Jacksonville has had 5 head coaches. But yeah, they have better long term prospects.

I hate Jerry too, but the Dallas job is not on par with the lower level jobs in ther NFL.
He's argumentative and surly, I used to take pity on him, he's a punching bag for his hot takes on the Premium side.

But the fact this innocuous subject has him so riled up shows he's just here to yell at clouds.

Oldbear83
EvilTroy: "the Dallas job is not on par with the lower level jobs in the NFL."

The Dallas job IS a lower level NFL job.

Better jobs wold be the Patriots, the Packers, the Steelers, the Saints, or the Chiefs. Yeah, I know those jobs are not open, but those are the top-tier jobs.

Dallas is a big paycheck and high stress. It would not be a good place for CMR.
McCavebear
Jacques Strap said:

Wineguy89 said:

Jacques Strap said:

The problem with this article is it comes during the recruiting period and will be used against CMR and Baylor.

I think the kids coming in will be listening directly to CMR and not a clickbait SI article. And being on the hot seat doesn't hurt Hermensa much does it?
I would hope so but the cynical side of me thinks these articles appear at the just the right time to help big State U in recruiting battles.
Yep. Fusion GPS.
McCavebear Lives!
EvilTroyAndAbed
Gruvin said:

Stop reading that trash... Rhule aint leaving. He saw that Briles alMost got in and this team was a couple plays away from undefeated and a playoff berth... He is gonna start closing the big fish to finish this recruiting class and make a run at the Natty again next year.

These coaches love it here!
BylrFan
well.. they were right
SATXBear said:

365 said:

historian said:

Weren't the Jets talking to him last year with him responding "NO"?

There is no point panicking because it will accomplish nothing. And this report is just a bunch of speculation in a mailbag page.
He said no b/c Jets management wanted to have the final say on his assistants. Jets fans have been *****ing about it since. Gase is likely getting fired after his first year, and they'll offer Rhule anything he wants.

I think it's clear Rhule eventually wants to be an NFL coach. He's in a position now to set his own price, hire/fire whomever he wants, and possibly have a significant say in player personnel as well. Those opportunities don't come along often. Remember, Penn State was in the exact same spot with O'Brien. To act as if it's out of the question is delusional.
Are you a TCU or UT troll? Get out of here with your paranoia. Rhule has said multiple times he is going nowhere until his kids are grown up. He loves Baylor, Rhoades, and Waco and wants to raise his kids here. He is here for at least 3-5 more years so please enjoy our success and quit listening to the stupid media who know nothing.
Yeah, I'm a TCU troll. And a UT troll. You're right. Rhule is here for 3-5 more years. Sorry to have brought it up.
SATXBear
365 said:

SATXBear said:

365 said:

historian said:

There is no point panicking because it will accomplish nothing. And this report is just a bunch of speculation in a mailbag page.
He said no b/c Jets management wanted to have the final say on his assistants. Jets fans have been *****ing about it since. Gase is likely getting fired after his first year, and they'll offer Rhule anything he wants.

I think it's clear Rhule eventually wants to be an NFL coach. He's in a position now to set his own price, hire/fire whomever he wants, and possibly have a significant say in player personnel as well. Those opportunities don't come along often. Remember, Penn State was in the exact same spot with O'Brien. To act as if it's out of the question is delusional.
Are you a TCU or UT troll? Get out of here with your paranoia. Rhule has said multiple times he is going nowhere until his kids are grown up. He loves Baylor, Rhoades, and Waco and wants to raise his kids here. He is here for at least 3-5 more years so please enjoy our success and quit listening to the stupid media who know nothing.
Yeah, I'm a TCU troll. And a UT troll. You're right. Rhule is here for 3-5 more years. Sorry to have brought it up.

I apologize. I was misled by the Smoaky interview.
Jorkel
365 said:

SATXBear said:

365 said:

historian said:

I believed you the whole time..these other posters were in denial before and now are in major denial as they go through the stages of grief
RegentCoverup
SATXBear said:

365 said:

SATXBear said:

365 said:

historian said:

Not keeping score here, just know that incentives matter. If you tell people you have inside knowledge that no one else has you basically take on the risk that your source is just using you.

Example: the athletic department telling Smoaky that nothing is happening, because that's in their best interests, when in reality, the coach is days from leaving. Smoaky is just rubber stamping what the Athletic Dept wants you to believe. Not dissing them, it just is what it is.

I didn't believe it either but an agent said the deal was done and I hadn't spoken to him in a year, so I knew something was up.
Timbear
Hey, we got what we needed from Rhule, he worked hard and got what he wanted from us. Even Stephen. Moving on.
4th and Inches
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Gruvin said:

Stop reading that trash... Rhule aint leaving. He saw that Briles alMost got in and this team was a couple plays away from undefeated and a playoff berth... He is gonna start closing the big fish to finish this recruiting class and make a run at the Natty again next year.

i was wrong. Having some inside knowledge about his life locally, it seemed logical at the time. Rhules agent is a heck of a deal maker... got him nearly 9mil a year and he has never been hc for a down in the NFL... i would have left too!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
RegentCoverup
Gruvin said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Gruvin said:

i was wrong. Having some inside knowledge about his life locally, it seemed logical at the time. Rhules agent is a heck of a deal maker... got him nearly 9mil a year and he has never been hc for a down in the NFL... i would have left too!
There are a lot of mofos that won't admit it, kudos to you for being honest. But the people that warned me were mocked.

I did t care if I was right for the sake of winning some game, I wanted to believe Matt was being honest.
SATXBear said:

365 said:

SATXBear said:

365 said:

historian said:

Well, now I feel bad. It's easy to want to believe coach speak. No worries though. I'm wrong about 75% of the time here, so I can relate!
KIA
Timbear said:

Hey, we got what we needed from Rhule, he worked hard and got what he wanted from us. Even Stephen. Moving on.
You do know that it's "even Steven" and not "even Stephen", right? I know they sound exactly the same, but when you are writing or typing it - it's different.
Russell Gym
Even SFA.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.