Football
Sponsored by

Hearing things about Gus Malzahn

6,535 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Baylor187
S-Town Enthusiast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hi,

I'm an Auburn fan but I've been hearing some rumblings about Baylor looking at Gus Malzahn on their boards.

Are you guys hearing anything?

We would hate to lose him, just want to see what you guys have heard.
Doc Holliday
He is/was friends with Briles so I doubt it.
S-Town Enthusiast
Doc Holliday said:

Whew. I hope so.
PartyBear
Doc Holliday said:

Yet he did not hire Kendal. I dont think Rhoades cares who is friends with whom. Alot of folks like Art including the BMDs Rhoades relies on to pay people. I personally think Malzahn is goofy as hell. But he does fine at Auburn. He isnt exactly my favorite for a splash hire. He is perpetually on the hot seat regardless of his record. The only time he is off is for the week after they beat Bama when they have under him. He didnt really seek Ark too heavily even though they love him there. Not sure if Ark isnt willing to pay big time money right now or they dont have talent to win now or what. Just after we fired Briles, I had heard he expressed interest to keep him mind, but obviously he wouldnt bolt the summer before a season and that was before we let a significant amount of our talent go, some of which he got.

If we were going to go big, I would prefer Cristobal or even check Franklin's interest. It would be funny if we opened up Rhule's dream job. I'm cognizant btw this is likely a troll.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Doc Holliday said:

Briles is friends with a lot of college coaches.
Jorkel
God I hope not...his offense is as boring and as inept as Rhule and Co's
BAYLOR IRISHMAN
I was about to say....Auburn fans are so sick of that guy and ready for him to move on. His offense is dreadful.
RegentCoverup
BAYLOR IRISHMAN said:

I was about to say....Auburn fans are so sick of that guy and ready for him to move on. His offense is dreadful.
Yeah, I'd swear this was a ruse. I go to more Auburn than Baylor games, if the Auburn fans I know had a say, they would have fired Malzahn.

File this under Gerry Faust.
boognish_bear
Haven't heard a peep about this on the free side here or on twitter....
Dia del DougO
I would be pretty OK with it if that were to take place. It would probably be percieved as a pretty big feather in Baylor's cap to lure a guy from SEC that has had some pretty good success. Definitely would keep Baylor near the top of the league.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
boognish_bear
We were ranked 27th in Scoring Offense and Auburn was ranked 28th....of course they were having to mostly go up against SEC defenses.
Big_Pumpin
Auburn beat Alabama and played LSU closer than anyone. He can't be terrible
Big_Pumpin
Maybe we could get Lincoln Riley with that awesome offense and lose by 90 to LSU
RegentCoverup
Big_Pumpin said:

Auburn beat Alabama and played LSU closer than anyone. He can't be terrible
he's really not, but it's also a doing more with less sort of thing. He sold himself as an offensive wizard and then.....brought a zone read scheme and a few bad passes. Malzahn has just never had a very consistent passing scheme, I think his thing as a HS coach emphasized running.

Malzahn wouldn't work for us because he would underachieve with talent. Look, I think Kevin Steele is a lying flake, but his defense is tough. Not great at man coverage, but hey, that's also the SEC. Auburn is IMO, faster and more physical than Georgia on defense. Their defensive front seven this year was brutal. Just badass guys that hit hard.

And the nutty part is, they just reload the defensive front seven every year. that's partly why I laughed when Rhule came up with a bs answer about recruiting stars, they aren't the only metric, nor should they be, but size/height/weight speed usually gives you some idea of whether they can compete, and DL's with those characteristics get 4 and 5 stars. So he's full of it on that one.

FWIW, I think Bo Nix is much better version of his Dad and I'm old enough to remember him playing too!

If Bo Nix had been throwing to Mims and Platt this season, we win that Okie game.
gobears20
Staff
Return of

[url=https://ibb.co/vqtnM4J][/url]
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
RiskyBizz Bear
I'd gladly take his frustrating offenses. They will be fixed by joining Big 12.

He's been the one and only competitor to Saban.

He loses some he shouldn't. But that happens. Put him in Central TX and I'd like to see what he could do.
RiskyBizz Bear
And I'm crazy enough to let Steele come back.

He wouldn't have the kids he had at LSU, Bama, and AU, but I can believe in him.

Bring the OC too. Morris would do well here as OC.
boognish_bear
He's had 2 really great seasons when he finished ranked 2nd in AP in his first year and then finishing ranked 10th in 2017.

Of course....he's going up against the best competition in the country.

Their 4 losses this year were all to teams that may finish in the Top 10: LSU, Georgia, Florida, and Minn

RegentCoverup
Not saying it would never happen, but I'm pretty sure Steele hates our guts.

At an event in Tallahassee, one of my friends yelled "Sic'Em Bears!" when Kevin was introduced and Captain Carrott stopped his speech, looked at him, and then ripped Baylor for the next 15 minutes.

Let's just say he's bitter.
RegentCoverup
boognish_bear said:

He's had 2 really great seasons when he finished ranked 2nd in AP in his first year and then finishing ranked 10th in 2017.

Of course....he's going up against the best competition in the country.

It's murderers row no doubt.But Auburn has fast, physical guys and they get them every year.
We don't have that.
PartyBear
He would request a no fly zone near the stadium, I'm sure.
Keyser Soze

Most coaches have a limited shelf life.

Does not matter how unrealistic the expectations are, but not enough wins VS Bama, LSU, and GA will get the natives restless.

See Holgerson to UH

RegentCoverup
Keyser Soze said:

Most coaches have a limited shelf life.

Does not matter how unrealistic the expectations are, but not enough wins VS Bama, LSU, and GA will get the natives restless.

See Holgerson to UH

In the eyes of an Auburn fan, they have talent. They don't feel like they should be dominated by LSU/Georgia/Bama/Florida, etc.

We'd be happy to compete, but the Auburn fans want to win. The contract given by the previous AD was like ..8 years? Now Auburn can't get rid of him.
Bigkahunaww
Was Malzan the one that convinced Jarrett Stidham to leave Baylor?
Even after Stidham said he would stay.

I'm still holding out hope we can get Kevin Wilson from Ohio State.
Living the American dream in central Texas !
Dia del DougO
Bigkahunaww said:

I'm pretty sure it was other factors that prompted that change of heart.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
JumboShrimper
I'd be for it. Much better option than most that have been listed.
RegentCoverup
Positive Bear said:

LI'd be for it. Much better option than most that have been listed.
Keep Snow, bring in Malzahn, not the worst scenario.

Just saying he can't run a passing scheme, he won't overachieve. Not sure what about Baylor gets better for him.
Keyser Soze
Bigkahunaww said:

I'm still holding out hope we can get Kevin Wilson from Ohio State.

Lame duck Baylor coaches
JumboShrimper
Maybe not Malzahn then but getting someone who brings an exciting offense. That would be refreshing to see with an above average defense at least. It might be hard to replicate the 2019 defense with someone else.
Dia del DougO
I doubt there's much to it, other than I wouldn't be surprised of Mack gave him a call. But I can see Malzahn interested in a move because it seems like there are rumors every other year about Auburn wanting to move on, then it quiets down.

I think I would have been happier if the Dallas Cowboys had hired him instead of fat mac.
57Bear
Dia del DougO said:

I doubt there's much to it, other than I wouldn't be surprised of Mack gave him a call. ...
Or perhaps his agent has already talked to Mack.
BUGWBBear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Doc Holliday said:

Briles is friends with a lot of college coaches.

Not according to x. If x don't like em, it's a kiss of death in his own mind.
Mike E
I hope not
Johnny Bear
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Not saying it would never happen, but I'm pretty sure Steele hates our guts.

At an event in Tallahassee, one of my friends yelled "Sic'Em Bears!" when Kevin was introduced and Captain Carrott stopped his speech, looked at him, and then ripped Baylor for the next 15 minutes.

Let's just say he's bitter.
He can choose to be bitter all he wants, but Baylor allowed him to keep a job for 4 years while being consistently Bottom 10 awful and if anything getting worse each year. What did he expect??
PartyBear
As is true of most tragedies that tend to get pinned on one person in Baylor's history. Baylor's management played a large role in the Steele era being what it was.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.