Football
Sponsored by

It's Aranda!

12,507 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boognish_bear
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He looks like a tan Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins front man, for those who dont know.
kbrun
Anybody concerned that he may not be long term? He's moved around a lot.
Dia del DougO
Dman said:

First priority. Retain McGuire.
Genius move, when you really thing about it. Hire a guy younger than McGuire who has never been a head coach to come in and teach McGuire how to be a head coach.

All bets are off now. I hope he still has a role, at least this year.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
#2 defense at wisc in 2015. not bad
PartyBear
Look he is a hired gun. But Baylor would be willing to pay enough to keep him out of reach of almost all other universities if they have to.
boognish_bear
kbrun said:

Since it just happened to us it's hard not to think that....but short of hiring an alum I'm not sure that there are many safe bets for long term hires
McCavebear
Welcome Coach Aranda!!! Sic 'em!

So much to like about this hire!

He should be able to take our already good D and kick it up a notch!

I thought Lsu's team this year was the most complete college team I have ever watched. Aranda was a big part of that and should bring us success!

It would be great if he turned in a few late announcing good recruits!

This is a prestigious hire!
McCavebear Lives!
Shakesbear
So, do you think he will go the "Patterson" route and be DC and HC
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
PartyBear
Seems like a very uniting hire as well thus far. Its kind of funny, who would have thought the little liberal arts college in southern california ( Cal Lutheran) would churn out two XII HCs as alums.
canoso
Really thought it was Napier, but this is tops IMO. Blown away!
blackie
boognish_bear said:

kbrun said:

Since it just happened to us it's hard not to think that....but short of hiring an alum I'm not sure that there are many safe bets for long term hires
Concerning the moved around a lot comment. That is true of most assistants, especially when young and trying to move up.
Brandwin
kbrun said:

That's what position coaches and coordinators do
boognish_bear
boognish_bear said:

If you want to listen to Smoak cover this hiring right now

https://listen.streamon.fm/krzi

Smoak about to have Eddie Lackey on to talk about Aranda

Dman
Dia del DougO said:

Dman said:

Genius move, when you really thing about it. Hire a guy younger than McGuire who has never been a head coach to come in and teach McGuire how to be a head coach.

Had 3 UT alum text all saying the same thing. Great hire. Hope we can grab McGuire now.

I can't imagine Joey wanting to work under a ****** like Herman. But the point stands. Other schools know his importance in recruiting and with Texas high school coaches.
Dia del DougO
Dman said:

Dia del DougO said:

Dman said:

Had 3 UT alum text all saying the same thing. Great hire. Hope we can grab McGuire now.

I can't imagine Joey wanting to work under a ****** like Herman. But the point stands. Other schools know his importance in recruiting and with Texas high school coaches.
Joey is a grownass man. I'm sure he can understand why he didn't eventually get the top job and be OK with it. But it has to be a bit harder to swallow when getting beat out by a guy that wasn't a more proven commodity as a college head coach.

It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. A lot will probably depend on how Joey is regarded by the new regime and what role he is given, if any. I can surely understand why Aranda would want to keep him around, but he's gonna have his guys that he already knows and trusts.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Bearsnarl
Bet the Head Toad won't do any ugly face-offs with this guy!!
Bigkahunaww
blackie said:

boognish_bear said:

kbrun said:

UAnybody concerned that he may not be long term? He's moved around a lot.

Concerning the moved around a lot comment. That is true of most assistants, especially when young and trying to move up.
IF he hires Joey M as a D.C............
If and when Aranda does move on, then his replacement is ready to go.
Living the American dream in central Texas !
xraes
He will NOT contort himself into a pretzel each week to assure our opposition "likes" him, or our team.

OUTSTANDING!!!
DanaDane
Please bring an offensive line coach with you.
Bearsnarl
Impressive hire, gotta help recruiting!,
Timbear
Is it ok to score some points in our games now? Surely , having watched Brady's O, he's got a clue about O.
BearlyBeloved
Buy the man a hoodie smock . . .

. . . and then hope he never wears it!!
blackie
Quote:

Joey is a grownass man. I'm sure he can understand why he didn't eventually get the top job and be OK with it. But it has to be a bit harder to swallow when getting beat out by a guy that wasn't a more proven commodity as a college head coach.
McGuire's getting "beat out" if that is the case was likely because JM had only 3 years of college experience period. Aranda has much more college experience. That said I hope McGuire is retained and wants to stay.
Chuckroast
Timbear said:

Is it ok to score some points in our games now? Surely , having watched Brady's O, he's got a clue about O.
That's what I was thinking. He had to go against the LSU offense in practice. His D was good in spite of the fast tempo and high scoring offense creating high possessions to defend . . . especially at the end of the year, so hopefully he's open to experimenting with a cutting edge offense.
Stretch
I am finally excited about Baylor football again. Rhules constant flirtation never made me confident of his intentions other than Baylor being a stepping stone. He talked out of both sides of his mouth from the day he came in. Now Aranda will have to prove his worth as well but from those in the coaching profession I know Aranda if successful is more to stay for an extended period of time unless the Blue bloods come calling. At that point we'll have to decide who we want to be. It said something of Aranda when A&M tried to sign him away and LSU made him the highest paid assistant over Venables.
BearPa
If he does well at Baylor, well...
BearPa
BearPa
Heard he wants to bring the OC over from Utah, which would be outstanding if it happens.
BearPa
Squatch Hunter
ctxbear
I'm withholding judgement until I find out whether he is a 1963 or 2000 Baptist Faith and Message guy.
PartyBear
If true that sounds great, Bearpa
BluesBear
Doc Holliday said:

"expect".....Sign the damn contract...
rckt24
Exited about the continued defense but Utah's offense was about the same level as Baylor's last year. Ludwig was only there one year though and when he was at Vanderbilt their offense improved every season.
DanaDane
The OC that designed a gameplan that barely put up 250 yards and only 10 points against Texas? No thanks.
Stretch
As I said a few days ago Baylor is at the level because of what we have to offer it is NOT a destination job and we were capable of hiring a major candidate. I have nothing against McGuire at all but to acquire a job on the P5 level you have to at least been a OC/DC or smaller lever head college coach. It doesn't mean he is not capable but if he's serious about being a head coach he'll need to take that path. I'm exited about the hire for the first time in a while. I was never bought in with the shoe salesman Rhule because he *****d out every year. Glad he's gone.
Yogi
"Smarter than the Average Bear."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.