Football
Sponsored by

Football season. Yea or Nay?

12,135 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Russell Gym
Stranger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're damn near into July. The politicians and the so-called experts are still singing the same old song. The country is made of people who are either proclaiming freedom or resigned to sheep mentality.

So are we going to have Big XII football this fall?

I'd say right now, the Nays have it.

This here football board is now damn near irrelevant.
I'm a Bearbacker
FWBear91
I fear you may be right. I hope not.

We will see more and more of these restrictions like the AAC's in the coming weeks. In sum:
For AAC schools, "no travel to road games for any school's band or spirit squad and no on-field performance for the home team's band. The home team's band will be allowed in the stadium, although it might feature a reduced capacity and will be required to practice social distancing."

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/football/2020/06/24/aac-football-coronavirus-covid-19-marching-bands-cheerleaders-off-sidelines/3249804001/
Stranger
FWBear91 said:

I fear you may be right. I hope not.

We will see more and more of these restrictions like the AAC's in the coming weeks. In sum:
For AAC schools, "no travel to road games for any school's band or spirit squad and no on-field performance for the home team's band. The home team's band will be allowed in the stadium, although it might feature a reduced capacity and will be required to practice social distancing."

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/football/2020/06/24/aac-football-coronavirus-covid-19-marching-bands-cheerleaders-off-sidelines/3249804001/

Piss on the fire and call in the dogs. The hunt's over.
I'm a Bearbacker
Mr Tulip
It's pretty clear that, when humans get together, this thing spreads. Even if plenty of people simply recover decently quick, the rise in spread corresponds with a rise in hospitalization. Right now, we're pushing the limits of that ability. Strict isolation curtailed the contagion. "Limited" opening turned out to be anything but. Perhaps masking will get it back under control, but it may be too late now.

All that to say, I believe the best we can hope for is games played in empty stadiums.

I'm not sure how the broadcast partners would feel about embarking on an abbreviated season where most teams will not be able to complete their full schedule. While the best funded major programs will be able to test and isolate as needed, it's a virtual certainty that many teams will have several games where either they or their opponent can't make it that week.

My one sentence summary: This isn't going to work.
Michibear
Wichitabear
Mr Tulip said:

It's pretty clear that, when humans get together, this thing spreads. Even if plenty of people simply recover decently quick, the rise in spread corresponds with a rise in hospitalization. Right now, we're pushing the limits of that ability. Strict isolation curtailed the contagion. "Limited" opening turned out to be anything but. Perhaps masking will get it back under control, but it may be too late now.

All that to say, I believe the best we can hope for is games played in empty stadiums.

I'm not sure how the broadcast partners would feel about embarking on an abbreviated season where most teams will not be able to complete their full schedule. While the best funded major programs will be able to test and isolate as needed, it's a virtual certainty that many teams will have several games where either they or their opponent can't make it that week.

My one sentence summary: This isn't going to work.
I'm afraid you are right Mr Tulip
Midnight Rider
Mr Tulip said:

Yep.
blackie
No, and it won't be limited to college football. Blame it on the maskless crowd that refused to allow a safe reopening. Abbott has now paused additional reopening procedures. That should tell you a lot.
hodedofome
One of the higher up BU coaches told a friend of a friend that he wasn't sure about this fall season. Seemed genuinely concerned.
PartyBear
Speaking of Abbott, blackie you can blame it on the feckless politicians like Trump and Abbott who feared the maskless crowd and did nothing to to make any kind of reopening safe and anything but essentially temporary. The only leadership the people in Texas have had through this has come from local leaders like Mayor's and city councils and County Judges and county commissioners courts. To this day there is a refusal to lead by anyone over the local level in this state.
Bear8084
blackie said:

No, and it won't be limited to college football. Blame it on the maskless crowd that refused to allow a safe reopening. Abbott has now paused additional reopening procedures. That should tell you a lot.
Bears2Cane
PartyBear said:

Speaking of Abbott, blackie you can blame it on the feckless politicians like Trump and Abbott who feared the maskless crowd and did nothing to to make any kind of reopening safe and anything but essentially temporary. The only leadership the people in Texas have had through this has come from local leaders like Mayor's and city councils and County Judges and county commissioners courts. To this day there is a refusal to lead by anyone over the local level in this state.
Abbott buckled when the anti-maskers marched on the state capitol. This never should have been a political issue--just listen to the experts. As someone who regularly deals with local governments all over the state, I think you are 100% correct that they have salvaged what they could with local orders. Especially smaller entities.
Dia del DougO
You can't expect consistent compliance from inconsistent rules.

Government and health officials need to get their own **** straight first and stop changing their narratives every other day and exempting different people for different reasons.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
PartyBear
Health officials dont lack consistency..
IowaBear
Not a chance, I doubt there's any late fall or Spring sports either.
Bears2Cane
Dia del DougO said:

Government and health officials need to get their own **** straight first and stop changing their narratives every other day and exempting different people for different reasons.
Narratives change when we are dealing with a population that refuses to comply and a novel virus. Circumstances change rapidly under those conditions.
blackie
PartyBear said:

Yes, you can push blame up the chain. To me, it all came from the top. Regardless of what you may think of there having been mixed messages, anyone with a lick of sense knows that masking and staying apart can certainly help the situation. It certainly couldn't hurt, especially keeping a distance.

But it became political from the git-go when on the very day it was recommended by the medical people to wear masks, it was no sooner out of Fauci's mouth than Trump proclaimed he wasn't going to wear one. That put pressure on people like Abbott to not buck the leader. And when Abbott didn't issue the order that put many local Republican leaders in Texas in somewhat of a bind as well. Had Trump gone on and worn a mask, it would have given "cover" to every politician at every level and every citizen to do what should make sense to even the dumbest rock in the country.

To be fair, I don't know how you consistently enforce an all out mask order. The biggest problem I have with Abbott is tying enforcement of wearing a mask to putting people in jail. When asked yesterday why he wasn't issuing a mask order, he said he didn't want people thrown in jail for not wearing one, obviously referring to the situation with the hair salon woman in Dallas. She was not thrown in jail for not wearing a mask (she was wearing one) nor even for defying the order to keep her business closed. She was thrown in jail for contempt of court. Fining (which should be the penalty) people for not following an order is not throwing them in jail.

But we got the message from the top (Trump) that not wearing a mask was OK, and certainly not making the country or the President look good if you did. Now we are having to deal with the result of that. I knew when we saw crowds of people acting like nothing has happened, we were hosed. Now we will all pay for it. So, if football or anything else you like is the victim and you haven't been wearing masks and keeping your distance, don't deflect any blame from the person you see in the mirror. It shouldn't have taken an actual EO to tell you that was (and is) the responsible and smart thing to do.
historian
Dia del DougO said:

It's difficult to take all the "experts" seriously when they announced that social distancing, etc. did not apply to protestors, rioters, & looters. If they no longer apply to people breaking the law, then they certainly should not apply to law abiding citizens.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
boognish_bear
Three weeks ago I would've told you yes.

Right now... I just don't see it happening. It might start... But I don't foresee a full season at all.

The NFL has a better chance than college I think.
boognish_bear
aledocrow
I am not concerned that we will get back to playing football and other sports -- eventually. Perhaps it will be this year. Perhaps it will not. As a fan I would love to see our Bears play sooner rather than later. But I want them to be safe. I want our fans to he safe.

I am more concerned about the losses in revenue. I hope and pray Baylor and other schools will find ways to keep their athletes under scholarship. They did not ask for this situation and I would like to see their scholarships honored. I am not sure how that will happen without football revenues.
boognish_bear
fubar
MLB is currently set to start July 23. My guess is that the NCAA will be very closely watching what happens with baseball.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
More shutdowns and more restrictions by local and state politicians are going to cause many more job losses. When people start running out of money and food, things will get real interesting. Hopefully the beatdown of law enforcement across the country won't cause your 911 call go to voice mail.

My point is, if this continues much longer, football will be the least of our problems.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Bearprof
Blackie's lengthy reply, as well as some others, gives me hope that there are some on this board who haven't completely lost their minds. You can trace the lack of any group activities for this summer, fall, and possibly next spring to our feckless leader - the one with the "biggest brain" and who has all the "best words."

It's an oft quoted line that "Elections have consequences." In most cases it has to do with policies which can very much have a negative effect on our citizenry - especially those of color and of the poor, in general. In this case, the political consequences of 2016 have resulted in life and death due to COVID, as tens of thousands of Americans have died needlessly due to a complete disregard of empathy, intelligence, and natural ability by our Divider-in-Chief - whose most significant accomplishment has been a reality TV show.

We have been told for 40 years the folksy tale that somehow the government is the enemy. While I believe that a balance between government and private businesses can be managed to benefit everyone to some extent, however difficult, there are only some things government can do. The COVID response is one of the them, and our President has been an abject failure in this situation in particular. Look in the mirror if you haven't been wearing a mask or been propping up a President who is nothing more than a sideshow. It's your fault. You knew better in 2016 but you made this happen anyway.

You want to get back to some sense of normalcy next summer and beyond? Then elect leaders who believe in science - testing, contact tracing, and providing the financial resources to keep us afloat until we can make significant progress in battling this virus. It isn't a hoax. Let's turn the page together and move on.

Baylor3216
Zero chance football is played this fall at the college level

Zero
DanaDane
2020-2021 Fall & Springs sports will all be cancelled. Soonest you'll see college sports is Fall 2021 with College Football returning then.
PartyBear
This would really suck for college kids who already have had their college experience screwed up.
wuzzybear
Open it all up. What's the point of anything if we are held hostage by Covid 19. Are we just gonna wait til there is nothing left to starting living again. That's not life...that is the grim reaper. This is ridiculous. Not saying don't be concerned or stupid. People are going to die anyway from this thing. But if you want mass chaos everywhere then shut everything down and see how that works for you. Obviously, everything should continue to move forward with respect and caution. Just take necessary precautions and move on or fear and paranoia will overwhelm you if we all just cowtow to Covid.
historian
I don't see the need to destroy our economy so that China can replace us as the world's superpower (their obvious goal). Don't forget: their criminally incompetent regime is responsible for this pandemic from the beginning and ever since. We should have no illusions that they are an evil regime. They still have concentration camps.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BluesBear
Further is gets pushed back and people don't stand up and say No to this absurdity.....the closer we are to mandate vaccination when one becomes available.

Let that sink in.

As well. Death rate for those under 35 is .8%. 85% percent of deaths related to those over 65. 97 percent to those over 55.

Exercise. Get sleep. Take vitamins. Let your body fight what it was designed to do and what it does on a daily basis.
BearTruth13
This year SUCKS
Wichitabear
Bearprof said:

Blackie's lengthy reply, as well as some others, gives me hope that there are some on this board who haven't completely lost their minds. You can trace the lack of any group activities for this summer, fall, and possibly next spring to our feckless leader - the one with the "biggest brain" and who has all the "best words."

It's an oft quoted line that "Elections have consequences." In most cases it has to do with policies which can very much have a negative effect on our citizenry - especially those of color and of the poor, in general. In this case, the political consequences of 2016 have resulted in life and death due to COVID, as tens of thousands of Americans have died needlessly due to a complete disregard of empathy, intelligence, and natural ability by our Divider-in-Chief - whose most significant accomplishment has been a reality TV show.

We have been told for 40 years the folksy tale that somehow the government is the enemy. While I believe that a balance between government and private businesses can be managed to benefit everyone to some extent, however difficult, there are only some things government can do. The COVID response is one of the them, and our President has been an abject failure in this situation in particular. Look in the mirror if you haven't been wearing a mask or been propping up a President who is nothing more than a sideshow. It's your fault. You knew better in 2016 but you made this happen anyway.

You want to get back to some sense of normalcy next summer and beyond? Then elect leaders who believe in science - testing, contact tracing, and providing the financial resources to keep us afloat until we can make significant progress in battling this virus. It isn't a hoax. Let's turn the page together and move on.

Don't worry Biden's gonna fix everything and everything will work out for you. Lolol Your going to get to move on alright.
Wichitabear
PartyBear said:

This would really suck for college kids who already have had their college experience screwed up.
and the ones that just graduated. It's very important to keep our families centered around Christ at this time.
OsoCoreyell
Bears2Canes said:

PartyBear said:

Abbott buckled when the anti-maskers marched on the state capitol. This never should have been a political issue--just listen to the experts. As someone who regularly deals with local governments all over the state, I think you are 100% correct that they have salvaged what they could with local orders. Especially smaller entities.
Health experts can tell you what activities are likely to spread the disease and the likely impact in magnitude and severity. They cannot tell you how much infection is "worth it" when it comes to shutting down the economy. That is essentially a policy call that can be informed by the experts opinions, but there isn't a "follow the science" answer as to whether you should allow, for example, the retail sector in Texas to simply go out of business forever. It is all cost-benefit analysis.

Now some calls seem easy. Any responsible politician/leader should have said to the anti-maskers that they needed to grow up and mask up, and passing out a fine for those not wearing in a pandemic is perfectly reasonable. Similarly, when the George Floyd thing turned into endless marches, the politicians should have been very clear that, while they understood the reasons for the march, this couldn't happen now because a lot more people than George Floyd would die by these actions. Leadership has been sorely lacking from all quarters.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.