Story Poster
Baylor Football

Baylor focused on plan for 50% capacity at McLane Stadium for now

June 25, 2020

As COVID-19 cases have surged to record highs in Texas over the last handful of days while the state’s leaders attempt to reopen the economy, the outlook on what fan attendance will look like at college football stadiums in the state is foggy at best. 

Texas Governor Greg Abbott announced earlier this month that outdoor stadiums would be allowed to operate at 50% capacity for sports in the state, up from the original 25% that was set at the end of May. 

As for Baylor, Vice President and Director of Athletics Mack Rhoades told SicEm365 Radio his team is working on plans for multiple different scenarios.

“I think you have to prepare for different scenarios,” Rhoades said. “So think you have to prepare for 75% capacity, 50% capacity, 25% capacity so that you have all three plans ready to go and there’s certainly overlap amongst all three. Then when’s the trigger point of now we have to go with this plan.”

Related: Mack Rhoades gives gut feeling on 2020 season

With 73 days until Baylor’s football season begins, the majority of focus is on the plan that would allow 50% capacity at McLane Stadium. The number falls in line with Abbott’s current policy but could change in time.

Jim Black

“We’re probably most focused on a 50% plan because of what Governor Abbott has talked about, but we’ve got to be ready with all three and be able to pull the trigger,” Rhoades said. “And again, you’ve got to have a really well thought out plan, great plan, but then you’ve got to be able to execute it and execute it at a high level.”

As for the “trigger point” mentioned by Rhoades, or the point when his team would like to move forward with the capacity plan for the season, that day is at least another couple of weeks away and possibly even a month while more data is being collected.

“I think as we get to mid July and certainly the end of July, I think we’ll have a better sense of where we are, the reality of 12 games, the reality of starting on time,” Rhoades said.

That includes the how the virus passes between players on the team as the summer progresses. Baylor student athletes began returning to campus in waves last Monday. 

While voluntary football workouts are still active after eight recent positive tests among student athletes, they are operating at at 20-25% capacity in weight room settings while the number of players training together are limited. The procedures in place allow for appropriate social distancing amongst players.

When mandatory workouts begin next month, however, is when the answers on player safety that are needed to make the correct decision will emerge.

“I think where it’s going to be telling is when we start the required football activity and contact,” Rhoades said. 

“Then what happens in terms of the disease and the spread and now also thinking beyond your student athletes, but also your staff. I think there are some key check points for us and I would say those are probably every week beginning July 14th and every week for the next 3-4 weeks I think it will start to give us a picture of what the fall season will look like.”

Discussion from...

Baylor focused on plan for 50% capacity at McLane Stadium for now

11,113 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by caesarscott
philiplewis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Which 50% gets in. How do they determine?
MrGolfguy
Like everything else it will be come down to money; all the jumbo shrimper, big $ donors can rest easy. No way they will be denied. Zero chance.
FWBear91
This sounds absurd. I know they are trying to follow the law, and to keep everyone safe. Sure, with 50% capacity, there are only 1/2 as many people to potentially get sick. But containing the spread is still up to individual choices--wash hands, be careful in your interactions, stay home if you're sick--that have nothing to do with stadium policies or precautions. Unfortunately, there's not a system by which we can determine that the 50% who are staying home are the ones who don't cover their coughs, who don't wash their hands, or who have symptoms they are ignoring.
KIA
50% would not even come close to maintaining six feet of distance between people. It is an arbitrary number. Either choose to make sure it is safe, or admit that you don't care to make sure that it is safe.
Big12Bear
KIA said:

50% would not even come close to maintaining six feet of distance between people. It is an arbitrary number. Either choose to make sure it is safe, or admit that you don't care to make sure that it is safe.
Just as 6 feet is an arbitrary number.
Michibear
I am picturing where 50% of the students are crowded into 25% of the space for them. Not sure that's gonna do what they want it to do in order to stop this stupid virus.

On the other hand, it will look a lot like Floyd Casey did in the 1990s. #nostalgia
Task Force 2015
I hear that Baylor classrooms may be limited to 19-20% of capacity in order to allow distancing.
BluesBear
End game in sight. Welcome sheeple to our next conditioning exercise.

Bring back Briles. His Spread offense was the true C19 social distancing offense. Who knew.
KIA
Big12Bear said:

KIA said:

Except it's not though.

Let me guess, you don't think people should be wearing masks?
ImwithBU
Well they can count me in the 50% not going. Calling on Monday asking for a refund. Found out from some others they paid 10% to keep their seats and sit this season out.
BUGWBBear
So is Baylor fielding 6-man football too? Seems only fair.
PartyBear
ImwithBU said:

Well they can count me in the 50% not going. Calling on Monday asking for a refund. Found out from some others they paid 10% to keep their seats and sit this season out.
Dont do that unless you really need the money right now which I get. They should roll it toward 21. If they do not plan to do that however, half or more of the season ticket holders should demand a refund of ticket and the donation that creates the right to buy the ticket for this season. Again it makes the most sense that they just deem you having bought for 21 if you do not ask for a refund.
GrowlTowel
50% capacity? It will be like when Steele was head coach but with another 15k people or so.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
BEAR 45

Wish it were not true but cannot see this season with fans in the stands. Seating is already shoulder to shoulder now. So you skip every other seat, you are still only 2' apart. How will Baylor cover the liability issues when anyone gets sick ? Unless this issue is addressed, I think it will be impossible
BUbackerinET
Not arbitrary based on the literature. Based on studies on how far the virus can travel.
BaylorRocks
Baylor,

Please just give me all of my money back now.

Thank you,

Sic'em
coldhardtruth
This thread aged well.
You best remember me my friend
I am the cold hard truth
-George Jones
chriscbear
Listened to Mack R today. Sounds like headed to 25% capacity. He sounded depressed . Feel for him.
blackie
chriscbear said:

Listened to Mack R today. Sounds like headed to 25% capacity. He sounded depressed . Feel for him.
I think they are dreaming. You are not going to not have team members get sick. You can't keep college kids in a bubble. The only chance we have to get anywhere close to normal in a reasonable time is for people to mask up and distance, and too many are too d*** stubborn and inconsiderate to do it.
PartyBear
Yep. Additionally they should consider a spring semester football season. Hopefully the vaccine is out by then.
caesarscott
KIA said:

Big12Bear said:

KIA said:

Except it's not though.

Let me guess, you don't think people should be wearing masks?
most of Europe uses 1 meter as the recommended distance. we're doubling that with 6 feet
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.