Football
Sponsored by

BU/Ole Miss game to be cancelled?

5,608 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Shakesbear
No Longer Gold
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Ethridge said:

RightRevBear said:

Swart Dra said:

ICU in dallas is at 70% capacity. Average is 80%. pretty sure those that need beds....which is very small...will get them.

I work in the healthcare field, I see the patient census and Covid-19 numbers for multiple hospitals in Texas on a daily basis. My opinions are based on my 17 years in healthcare, and the information that I am given by my employer and other reputable healthcare outlets.

As a side note, I hate Ole Miss with the same passion I hate A&M and TCU. I grew up a Mississippi State fan. I had planned to attend the game and yell "Go to Hell Ole Miss" after the Star Spangled Banner. Only myself, the Ole Miss fans, and a few others would understand. Mississippi State fans yell it at the end of the national anthem at every game, not just when they play Ole Miss.

1. Where did you get the 70% number from? The latest press release that I can find that says 70% comes from May 21 in D Magazine. We are in a different place than we were at the end of May.

2. Many hospitals in the DFW area have had to suspend elective surgeries in compliance with the Governor's order. Did you know that CABG surgery, commonly known as heart bypass surgery, is often considered elective? It is not uncommon for these patients to spend some time in the ICU after their surgery though. I wonder how any of us would feel if ourselves or a loved one were told you need bypass surgery. It is going to be delayed indefinitely though, because we have to save beds for idiots who think they don't need to wear masks, don't practice social distancing, and that college football is more important than your life.

3. Again Summer is usually a time of low hospital census, and this includes ICU's. Using your unverified numbers, if we are at 70% during the slow time and our average is 80%, we will be above 100% during our busiest time which is respiratory season. During normal years, it is not uncommon for patients to have to wait over 24 hours in the Emergency Department during respiratory season at many hospitals before a room becomes available.

4. ICU bed capacity and hospital bed capacity are not as straight forward as it often appears. ICU capacity includes Pediatric ICU's and NICU's. Also, just because a bed is available doesn't mean it is a bed that you can have because it is an inappropriate bed for you. The hospital might have beds available in its mental health unit. This bed would do you no good. It doesn't have the appropriate hookups such as Oxygen, and they can't bring the portable equipment in because a mental health patient might harm you, themselves, or others with it. Beds might be available on transplant units, labor and delivery, post-partum, mental health, NICU, PICU, oncology, and other units, but you are probably not getting them.

You will be in a hallway in the emergency room until they get full. Then they will probably start using surgical prep bays, OR's, and recovery bays that will be staffed by people that do not specialize in the type of care that you need. They will then start to put people in other hallways until they can find another facility to transport you to for care. That is going to be hard though because those facilities are going to fill up quickly. You might be sent to a children's hospital where the doctors are used to working on kids instead of adults. You might be sent to a temporary hospital that some level of government has setup in a convention center. It might not be properly staffed or equipped. You might think I am paranoid, but all of these things have happened in the US during this pandemic.

The medical professionals that many of you rely on to help you when you are sick and injured say that you should wear a mask, practice social distancing, avoid large gatherings, etc. You trust them to prescribe medications, provide information about illness, instruct on needed lifestyle changes, and assist with other healthcare needs. Trust them on this issue too.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here are the bed and ventilator capacity statistics as reported by 25 hospitals in the <a href="https://twitter.com/CityOfDallas?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CityOfDallas</a>:<br><br>Total beds: 5885<br>Beds occupied: 4130 (70%)<br>Total ICU beds: 914<br>ICU beds occupied: 630 (69%)<br>Total ventilators: 965<br>Ventilators in use: 394 (41%)</p>— Mayor Eric Johnson (@Johnson4Dallas) <a href="https://twitter.com/Johnson4Dallas/status/1283455777605332992?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seems the daily update from the mayor would be a better indicator than D Magazine from May.

yup!

Most people are foolish sheep that heard something on NPR...

This is a real deal, and it is serious, but the reaction is OUT OF CONTROL!!!

Facts are facts.

Thanks for your work in the medical field. you guys are heroes.. I mean that seriously.

Since I do feel you have a bit of a problem understanding human realities, Ill type it another way also:

Baaaa BAA baabaaa BA BA.
RightRevBear
Swart Dra said:

Brian Ethridge said:

RightRevBear said:

Swart Dra said:

HyeICU in dallas is at 70% capacity. Average is 80%. pretty sure those that need beds....which is very small...will get them.

I work in the healthcare field, I see the patient census and Covid-19 numbers for multiple hospitals in Texas on a daily basis. My opinions are based on my 17 years in healthcare, and the information that I am given by my employer and other reputable healthcare outlets.

As a side note, I hate Ole Miss with the same passion I hate A&M and TCU. I grew up a Mississippi State fan. I had planned to attend the game and yell "Go to Hell Ole Miss" after the Star Spangled Banner. Only myself, the Ole Miss fans, and a few others would understand. Mississippi State fans yell it at the end of the national anthem at every game, not just when they play Ole Miss.

1. Where did you get the 70% number from? The latest press release that I can find that says 70% comes from May 21 in D Magazine. We are in a different place than we were at the end of May.

2. Many hospitals in the DFW area have had to suspend elective surgeries in compliance with the Governor's order. Did you know that CABG surgery, commonly known as heart bypass surgery, is often considered elective? It is not uncommon for these patients to spend some time in the ICU after their surgery though. I wonder how any of us would feel if ourselves or a loved one were told you need bypass surgery. It is going to be delayed indefinitely though, because we have to save beds for idiots who think they don't need to wear masks, don't practice social distancing, and that college football is more important than your life.

3. Again Summer is usually a time of low hospital census, and this includes ICU's. Using your unverified numbers, if we are at 70% during the slow time and our average is 80%, we will be above 100% during our busiest time which is respiratory season. During normal years, it is not uncommon for patients to have to wait over 24 hours in the Emergency Department during respiratory season at many hospitals before a room becomes available.

4. ICU bed capacity and hospital bed capacity are not as straight forward as it often appears. ICU capacity includes Pediatric ICU's and NICU's. Also, just because a bed is available doesn't mean it is a bed that you can have because it is an inappropriate bed for you. The hospital might have beds available in its mental health unit. This bed would do you no good. It doesn't have the appropriate hookups such as Oxygen, and they can't bring the portable equipment in because a mental health patient might harm you, themselves, or others with it. Beds might be available on transplant units, labor and delivery, post-partum, mental health, NICU, PICU, oncology, and other units, but you are probably not getting them.

You will be in a hallway in the emergency room until they get full. Then they will probably start using surgical prep bays, OR's, and recovery bays that will be staffed by people that do not specialize in the type of care that you need. They will then start to put people in other hallways until they can find another facility to transport you to for care. That is going to be hard though because those facilities are going to fill up quickly. You might be sent to a children's hospital where the doctors are used to working on kids instead of adults. You might be sent to a temporary hospital that some level of government has setup in a convention center. It might not be properly staffed or equipped. You might think I am paranoid, but all of these things have happened in the US during this pandemic.

The medical professionals that many of you rely on to help you when you are sick and injured say that you should wear a mask, practice social distancing, avoid large gatherings, etc. You trust them to prescribe medications, provide information about illness, instruct on needed lifestyle changes, and assist with other healthcare needs. Trust them on this issue too.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here are the bed and ventilator capacity statistics as reported by 25 hospitals in the <a href="https://twitter.com/CityOfDallas?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CityOfDallas</a>:<br><br>Total beds: 5885<br>Beds occupied: 4130 (70%)<br>Total ICU beds: 914<br>ICU beds occupied: 630 (69%)<br>Total ventilators: 965<br>Ventilators in use: 394 (41%)</p>— Mayor Eric Johnson (@Johnson4Dallas) <a href="https://twitter.com/Johnson4Dallas/status/1283455777605332992?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seems the daily update from the mayor would be a better indicator than D Magazine from May.

yup!

Most people are foolish sheep that heard something on NPR...

This is a real deal, and it is serious, but the reaction is OUT OF CONTROL!!!

Facts are facts.

Thanks for your work in the medical field. you guys are heroes.. I mean that seriously.

Since I do feel you have a bit of a problem understanding human realities, Ill type it another way also:

Baaaa BAA baabaaa BA BA.
I usually don't resort to personal attacks, but I feel you started them by calling me a sheep. I don't listen to NPR and I am not a liberal. Since turning 18, I have voted in every presidential election, and I have never voted for a Democrat. Second, I am also smart enough to listen to healthcare professionals over the advice of the bumbling idiot we have in the White House who is pandering to his base.

My information comes from the front lines. Hospitals are having trouble with having enough staff right now. You are too stupid to look at the situation in a way that does not support your narrative. I used to think like you that it was no worse than the flu. I got better data, and I changed my mind. Summer is the slow time for hospitals while Fall and Winter are heavy due to respiratory season. Most hospitals are full or close to it during respiratory season most years. I said that 70% is a high number for the summer in my original post. If Dallas was doing so great, then why is Parkland having to get Federal teams to assist with needed staffing. https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/07/09/federal-medical-teams-heading-to-dallas-parkland-hospital-officials-say/

My sister-in-law is in Houston working as a contract nurse, because they do not have enough nurses to handle the patient load. They are paying her $4,000/week to work in a Covid-19 ICU. Do you think that hospitals would pay that much money for nurse if they weren't in dire straits? I have put up articles as have other posters. I am sorry that you are too stupid, selfish, and attached to conspiracy theories to listen to the people at the front. You are as stupid as the anti-vaxxers who do not trust doctors on vaccines, but then expect those same doctors to be miracle workers when their kid gets a preventable disease.

You are worse than a sheep you are a lemming that is going to run off the side of a cliff because all your other lemming pals are doing it.
Shakesbear
Received an email from BBF today confirming that the Ole Miss game is officially canceled. BBF members will be receiving info on refunds soon. Options have also been laid out as to season ticket refunds, donations, or deferrals to 2021. Says if games are played, attendance will be from 0 - 50% capacity with deference to season ticket holders and students. No word on our other schedule non-con games. More to come...................
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.