Football
Sponsored by

Brewer

4,118 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Timbear
Pecos 45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I posed this at the end of last season, but after watching Charlie play yesterday I have to return to it.
Something is wrong with him, and I think it is the result of the late-season concussions he suffered at the end of last season.
A concussion is a trauma to your brain.
You can say, "I FEEL fine," but you have suffered some mild brain damage.
I don't know how it might alter his game, but something is wrong, and the only facts I have are that Charlie got some hits to the head and was diagnosed with concussions in the Big 12, and Sugar Bowl games.

Unlike broken legs and broken arms, broken heads don't heal.

(And no, I did not go to medical school.)
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
BEAR 45
Opponents game plans are definitely altered by the number of concussions he has experienced. If you know he isn't looking to run, and that is not a put down, your defensive scheme can be altered. I am sure he has been told not to run unless he has to and to quit taking on tacklers, which he frequently did. This really makes it tough on him offensively when you eliminate one of your most effective weapons. He needs to do what is best for his future health as he nears the end of his career.
oorahpa
Really am in Charlie's corner. He has been a great player for Baylor. It is up to the coaching staff to understand the skill set of the players. This was a terrible game against not a top rated team. If I were a talented o. line prospect I would strongly consider Baylor, That said we need a good game plan for Charlie. This is his time They should understand were he is physically. Our staff did not put our players in this game with a competitive game plan. A very dull offense. I like our new staff. I miss Art's offense. One thing Ruhle did very well was scheming to overcome an offensive line which needed help. He also had Mims which opened everything up. We need to use our speed, which is a major asset, to open things up by running their d.b.'s into the ground.
John Heard

Timbear
I hope Fedora will take his helmet away.
wuzzybear
I said a year ago that CB would have a hard time making it to the end of his career. However, the O Line is awful right now like all BU O Lines have had trouble forever with the exception of RGIII's last 2 yrs and Petty's line was pretty good. Most of this is on Charlie however. He just will not let go of the ball soon enough and when he runs I kind of cringe. No doubt he is tough but your brain is the only one you got!!!
Gatopadre
Couldn't agree more. Love Brewer. He's been a tough, committed QB for us. I salute him! But from the end of last season to the beginning of this one, he's not the same. Yes, a poor OL doesn't help. But even when he's got time he looks slower, holds the ball longer, is too inaccurate, and passes with less zip.

Listen, I hope he proves me wrong. However, I'd be more concerned for his long-term health than one more season of playing the sport he loves. Again, I'd love to eat crow on this one, but if I were Aranda and Fedora, I'd seriously look at getting Zeno some time and not just default to CB simply because of the past...because the recent past is not as favorable.
DanaDane
1. No QB is gonna look good behind the slowest, softest, pudgiest, least athletic offensive line we've put on the field in 15 years. That offensive line would have trouble handling ACU or SFA.

2. When health issues (and coaches decisions) took away Brewer's ability to make plays with his feet, it reduced his effectiveness immensely. He will get blown up by Ok State's D again in two weeks. Lose that game and it's time to start the Bohanon/Zeno era and give them a shot at developing.
Media Bear
Pecos 45 said:

I posed this at the end of last season, but after watching Charlie play yesterday I have to return to it.
Something is wrong with him, and I think it is the result of the late-season concussions he suffered at the end of last season.
A concussion is a trauma to your brain.
You can say, "I FEEL fine," but you have suffered some mild brain damage.
I don't know how it might alter his game, but something is wrong, and the only facts I have are that Charlie got some hits to the head and was diagnosed with concussions in the Big 12, and Sugar Bowl games.

Unlike broken legs and broken arms, broken heads don't heal.

(And no, I did not go to medical school.)
It all has a David Ash feel to it, does it not?
Baylorfamily5
Either adapt the offense to Brewer and try to hide his arm limitations. Or move on and pick Gerry or Zeno if they fit more of Fedoras style.

We can't keep this up if we want to compete.
JonSnow
Time to go with Zeno and Bohanon and see which one is the future
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
DanaDane said:

1. No QB is gonna look good behind the slowest, softest, pudgiest, least athletic offensive line we've put on the field in 15 years. That offensive line would have trouble handling ACU or SFA.

2. When health issues (and coaches decisions) took away Brewer's ability to make plays with his feet, it reduced his effectiveness immensely. He will get blown up by Ok State's D again in two weeks. Lose that game and it's time to start the Bohanon/Zeno era and give them a shot at developing.
Yep. This.

And we need to start looking for a new oc if the play calling remains this vanilla.
Franklins
DanaDane said:

Agree, but I would say it's time to start looking at the coaching rather than putting it all on the players.
GrizBear
DanaDane said:

Agree with your first point, except that the OL was much worse in Rhule's first year.
boognish_bear
In the Texas Bowl behind a pretty patchwork OL....CB put up 384 yards passing, 2 passing TDs, 109 yards rushing, and 1 rushing TD.

I totally understand the coaching staff reducing his scrambling because he was getting killed on the regular....but teams not having to account for his running seems to have really made the passing windows much tighter.
boognish_bear
Dia del DougO
I don't know if he's all that different. If anything, he seems to be a little less quick when scrambling around, rarely makes much of a gain or buys enough time to get the ball to a receiver. His arm is what it always was, it just wasn't as apparent when he was able to compensate with athleticism.

I don't think his brain is slower or anything. He has had to deal with philosophy changes and staff changes, personnel changes, and years of being scouted by opponents. He no longer has a Jalen Hurd, who helped him look good, though there is definitely receiving talent.

It's mostly a big picture thing, and perhaps he has suffered a bit from years of wear and tear on a body that isn't made for being hit by a truck several times a week.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
historian
Charlie still needs to get in a few run plays every game to keep the defenses honest. He just doesn't need to have the largest number of rushing yards--or look like he's competing for that stat.
Michibear
On Saturday, fourth-quarter Brewer seemed like a man reborn. Something changed with his play at that time. I saw flashes of excellence in our mini-comeback.

Charlie just needs to be consistently good.
Dia del DougO
Or the opposing D needs to play more prevent type loose coverage for four quarters.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Mr Tulip
Dia del DougO said:

Or the opposing D needs to play more prevent type loose coverage for four quarters.
Keeping in mind my Texas fandom, I can say I was screaming at the TV on Saturday when Texas defended the final 4th and 7 play with 3-3-5.

Charlie will find an open receiver given sufficient time. He's night an day between pressured and not pressured. Texas was better off crushing 5 into the line and forcing the issue.
KIA
boognish_bear said:

"Anonymous source" .... why would someone put their name to that quote? It's not controversial. Does someone inside the athletic department not want it known that they are a strong supporter of Charlie? Weird.

I wonder if people realize that it is OK to be thankful for everything Charlie has done for the team, but believe that he is no longer our best option at QB?

Hob Howelll
It's certainly respectable of Charlie Brewer to be willing to go out there and have the crap knocked out of him game in and game out, but I want a quarterback with a wider skill set. If that's "saying something bad" then I'm sorry
Baylor University class of 2014
Bear8084
Dia del DougO said:

Some of it showed up before that.
historian
KIA said:

boognish_bear said:

"Anonymous source" .... why would someone put their name to that quote? It's not controversial. Does someone inside the athletic department not want it known that they are a strong supporter of Charlie? Weird.

I wonder if people realize that it is OK to be thankful for everything Charlie has done for the team, but believe that he is no longer our best option at QB?
More likely, they don't want to provide any hints about who are the "fans" in question. If it's none who provided the quote, someone might know who they were talking about.
Dia del DougO
I'm cool with Brewer keeping the starting job, but I don't think they are game planning to his strengths and around his weaknesses.

I'm cool with making a change and seeing if the next guy can stretch the field and run the offense better, and develop for the future.

Either way, I'd like to see a change of pace QB in there for a few plays that can be a bigger running threat or deep ball threat.
BUGWBBear
JonSnow said:

Time to go with Zeno and Bohanon and see which one is the future

Yep
BaylorFan1234321
All aboard the Bohanon (or Zeno) train!
JP1037
The guy is tough. Crazy tough. He has taken tons of hits and gotten up. No one is questioning that.

We just want a qb who can scramble and hit open receivers. Nothing to do with toughness.

But maybe coaches don't want to get Bohannon or Zeno killed?

boognish_bear
Hob Howelll
There's definitely some politics in play in keeping Charlie out there.
Baylor University class of 2014
boognish_bear
The Hound said:

The HC has to put the best players on the field....despite player sentiment. That comes with the territory....sometimes making unpopular decisions.
syme
The Hound said:

Yep. As evidenced in Ebner's tweet. A new coach benching one of the veteran leaders, someone the other leaders feel they've been to battle with, may wreak havoc on the locker room.

Not apples to apples, but Saban benched Hurts for Tua after being a two year starter, so it can be done.

DanaDane
boognish_bear said:

How cute. The kid who quit on all his teammates (which included Charlie) and should have been booted off the team is telling everyone who they should or shouldn't be rocking with. Got it.
IowaBear
boognish_bear said:

He wasn't rocking with #5 two weeks ago when the going got tough and he quit on #5 and the team. Pot meet kettle Ebner
historian
DanaDane said:

boognish_bear said:

How cute. The kid who quit on all his teammates (which included Charlie) and should have been booted off the team is telling everyone who they should or shouldn't be rocking with. Got it.
Yes, I noticed that too, although I would not have put it that way.

Does anyone think Charlie is under the illusion that he has a shot at the NFL? I don't see how would have any chance. If Seth Russell did not get a shot, Charlie definitely won't. That's no knock on Charlie, just IMHO a realistic appraisal of how tough the NFL is, particularly for QB's.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.