Story Poster
Baylor Football

Phil Bennett reflects on Baylor's overall performance against West Virginia

October 6, 2020

In his weekly segment with SicEm365 Radio, former Baylor defensive coordinator Phil Bennett discusses what he saw from Baylor in their most recent game as well as what happened around college football over the weekend. 

Discussion from...

Phil Bennett reflects on Baylor's overall performance against West Virginia

9,757 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Thee University
Stranger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought we were rid of Bennett. He was not particularly held in high esteem when he was in Waco. Nobody ever asked his opinion in those days. Guess he's bored. Can Smoak not find anybody else to put on the radio these days?

The only people that miss him were down at El Chico and now they've closed up
I'm a Bearbacker
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Stranger said:

I thought we were rid of Bennett. He was not particularly held in high esteem when he was in Waco. Nobody ever asked his opinion in those days. Guess he's bored. Can Smoak not find anybody else to put on the radio these days?

The episode was downloaded and listened to by almost 20K people. That is nearly 10% of Waco or 12.5% of all living Baylor alumni.
Stranger
Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

The episode was downloaded and listened to by almost 20K people. That is nearly 10% of Waco or 12.5% of all living Baylor alumni.

Must have been a slow news day. The 'rona has caused boredom to set in.
I'm a Bearbacker
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Stranger said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

Must have been a slow news day. The 'rona has caused boredom to set in.

Or it's good radio and people remember the good times as well.
CST Bear
This is a great listen. Phil still referring to BU as 'we' is, like Smoak said, heartwarming. We had it so good. Won't be told otherwise.
Just remember it could always be worse (Sloan, Stanton, Steele)
big tuna
This is now rivaling Mack Rhoades for my favorite weekly segment. I'm glad to see how closely he still follows Baylor football.

ImABearToo
Keep bringing Phil back after every game. Most "non-triggered" types enjoy his humor and knowledge of the game. In fact, it would be great to hear from CAB again soon.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
Brian Ethridge
Staff
ImABearToo said:

Keep bringing Phil back after every game. Most "non-triggered" types enjoy his humor and knowledge of the game. In fact, it would be great to hear from CAB again soon.

Phil is now a weekly 5pm segment on Monday.
ImABearToo
Thanks Brian. Love what you guys are doing. Baylor Nation is lucky to have SicEm365.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
PartyBear
I appreciate this and Phil for being gracious and not bitter about everything from the past. It is interesting that of all the places he coached in his career (and it has been alot) it is Baylor game analysis and for Baylor alums and fans he is willing to provide.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
ImABearToo said:

Thanks Brian. Love what you guys are doing. Baylor Nation is lucky to have SicEm365.
We appreciate your support.

Download the app, watch or listen, and share with your friends and family.

Brian Ethridge
Staff
PartyBear said:

I appreciate this and Phil for being gracious and not bitter about everything from the past. It is interesting that of all the places he coached in his career (and it has been alot) it is Baylor game analysis and for Baylor alums and fans he is willing to provide.
He mentioned why.

Phil's a good guy.
smoaky
Staff
Stranger said:

Stranger, you act like Bennett is nothing to you, but you've taken the time to post about this segment twice in a week. Why?

The segment got as many hits as anything we aired last week, including Aranda, Rhule and Mack Rhoades, or Ronnie Lott.

If you don't like the segment, don't listen to it, seriously, you won't be alone.

Have a great day and smile!

Smoaky
PartyBear
He was held in high esteem by most. There were some posters here and on baylorfans who didnt like the era at all in general.
smoaky
Staff
PartyBear said:

He was held in high esteem by most. There were some posters here and on baylorfans who didnt like the era at all in general.
I know, believe me, there were some frustrating moments, but I don't know if anyone will ever understand what a DC has to deal with when in the same system as the offense they ran under AB.
hodedofome
We showed we could be effective as a defense under Briles/Bennett when we have some real playmakers. Ahmad Dixon, Oakman, Billings, Xavien Howard, Clay Johnston, Travon Blanchard, Eddie Lackey, etc all were successful and productive with us. We just didn't have enough of them, or the depth, to be effective at all times. We were just starting to recruit some real talent when BU blew up the program. We never got a chance to see a Bennett defense full of 3-4* players.

We were never going to be top 10 in the country on defense, but with our offense, we didn't need to be. We just needed some playmakers to create a few turnovers and sacks and that would be enough.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

I always liked Bennett. He was my top choice for Briles' DC hire and I defended him often and vociferously on this site's predecessor. He wasn't perfect, but he made our defense significantly better during his time in Waco, and -- unlike most of Briles' staff -- he never lost sight of the of the fact that he was there in 2016 for the players. He never checked out when many others did, and I respect that.
BluesBear
PB knew exactly what the Administration did to the program.

Feel for the guy but Brian is right. He's classy and passionate about football. Great to hear his perspectives on the game. He's honest. That's all I care about.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
TrustTheProcess said:

PB knew exactly what the Administration did to the program.

Feel for the guy but Brian is right. He's classy and passionate about football. Great to hear his perspectives on the game. He's honest. That's all I care about.
and no reason to tear him down 4+ years later.

I'd go drink a beer with Phil any day. Achuff, Gush, etc.
BluesBear
We need to grab beer buddy...
Russell Gym
Gush and Bennett are great guys. I'm sure Achuff is as well.
Green&GoldStandard
bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

I always liked Bennett. He was my top choice for Briles' DC hire and I defended him often and vociferously on this site's predecessor. He wasn't perfect, but he made our defense significantly better during his time in Waco, and -- unlike most of Briles' staff -- he never lost sight of the of the fact that he was there in 2016 for the players. He never checked out when many others did, and I respect that.

He installed the defense that Art asked of him. We had a pretty good run with that.
BUbackerinET
Exactly, I don't GAS what Bill Bennett has to say about anything...
Thee University
PartyBear said:

Loved the era.

Hated the lack of REAL defensive commitment. Plain and simple. We could have and should have done so much more with our D and ST.

$$$$ can make you love a school over your alma mater or your other head coaching stops.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.