Story Poster
Baylor Football

Phil Bennett: We could’ve beaten any of those three teams in the 2014 CFP

January 11, 2021

Former Baylor DC Phil Bennett joins SicEm365 Radio to discuss the National Championship and more.

To watch this video, you must be a SicEm365 Premium subscriber.
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial
Discussion from...

Phil Bennett: We could’ve beaten any of those three teams in the 2014 CFP

11,873 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MrGolfguy
Chamberman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Then why the hell didn't we beat Michigan State?
geewago
Chamberman said:

Perhaps it is like the SEC teams that don't get to play in the CFB playoff. If they don't want to be in a lesser bowl they generally don't do too well. Or as someone said this year,"The SEC has never lost a bowl game that it wanted to play in".
BUBear24
Chamberman said:

This. We got a hell of a lot of bad breaks, but if you wanted to show you belonged we should've blew MSU up. We didn't, and then had to watch TCU murder Ole Miss in their peach bowl. This was after already ****ting the bed in the Fiesta, so I think outside us BU fans people thought Baylor was a one trick pony.
JumboShrimper
As much as the loss to UCF sucked it still is nowhere near in the same stratosphere as blowing the huge lead in the cotton bowl. Would've loved to have seen what we would have done in the playoff but this is a pretty bold statement by Bennett.
DAC
Yeah they definitely could have
IowaBear
Just my opinion but the 15 team in my mind wins it all if Russell stays healthy. To me that was BUs best team until his injury then we fell apart. That team could have won it all.
RedBear05
IowaBear said:

Just my opinion but the 15 team in my mind wins it all if Russell stays healthy. To me that was BUs best team until his injury then we fell apart. That team could have won it all.

Agreed. I thought that then, and still believe that 15 team was the best to ever play for Baylor. Worked our way to our 4th string QB and still won 10 games.
Ewalker80
I love coach Bennett's segment in sicem 365, but every once in a while he comes out with an Uncle Rico quote. Like when he said "Matt Rhule won with our players." Hmmmm....
bear2be2
geewago said:

Chamberman said:

Perhaps it is like the SEC teams that don't get to play in the CFB playoff. If they don't want to be in a lesser bowl they generally don't do too well. Or as someone said this year,"The SEC has never lost a bowl game that it wanted to play in".
This excuse doesn't work so well when you've never won a BCS/(CFP era) New Year's Six bowl. You need to prove you can win those before you claim to be too good for them.
Stranger
Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Why is Phil Bennett still hanging around?

And why does anyone think anything he has to say is relavent?
I'm a Bearbacker
boognish_bear
Ewalker80 said:

I love coach Bennett's segment in sicem 365, but every once in a while he comes out with an Uncle Rico quote. Like when he said "Matt Rhule won with our players." Hmmmm....

Lol.....my first thought when I saw that headline was also Uncle Rico

Thee University
Who was the DC of the 2014 Baylor defense that was ranked #48? I forgot.

October 18
West Virginia 41
Baylor 27

We only gave up 456 yards to West Virginia in 2014.

2 years prior we gave up 807 yards and 10 touchdowns. . Yes. 10 TDs! In 1 game!. Not since the Kevin Steele days did we look so good on D.
canoso
Chamberman said:

Illegal block in the back penalty.

Phantom offensive face mask call.

FG ball placement a yard or 3 closer to the line of scrimmage than it should have been.

In other words, at least 14, and as many as 17 points left on the field.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Stranger said:

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Because we ask him to do a segment on the show. If your qualifications are greater than Phil's our email is available and will await your resume.

Thee was on the show already and was a great guest.
PartyBear
I think Bennet is a classy guy being willing to give insights about our games and program post coaching career. He isnt doing this for the alums of other places he has coached.
hodedofome
IowaBear said:

Agree, there is no other BU team better than 2015. Senior OL, stacked RB corps, #1 WR in America, defensive superstars, and a complete dual threat QB.

That was the team with the best chance of winning a natty.
Chamberman
PartyBear said:

I think Bennet is a classy guy being willing to give insights about our games and program post coaching career. He isnt doing this for the alums of other places he has coached.
I'm not sure I want him doing it here.
CHP Bear
BUBear24 said:

Chamberman said:

This. We got a hell of a lot of bad breaks, but if you wanted to show you belonged we should've blew MSU up. We didn't, and then had to watch TCU murder Ole Miss in their peach bowl. This was after already ****ting the bed in the Fiesta, so I think outside us BU fans people thought Baylor was a one trick pony.
You say we dumped on ourselves in the Fiesta. You are aware UCF was an excellent team. That year UCF had a team that could have won the Big12. We got beat by a better team that day. So my question, were we overrated or was UCF underrated. As for me, at games end I definitely bought into the underrated. Also, given TCU murdered 'Ol Miss, what makes you thing BU couldn't have done the same thing?
DAC
PartyBear said:

I always enjoy listening to him
Stranger
Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Because we ask him to do a segment on the show. If your qualifications are greater than Phil's our email is available and will await your resume.

I can't say my qualifications are any better than aggy Phil, but could offer a few.

1. During his tenure, I did reside in McLennan county. He did not.

2. I did, like Phil, drink the margaritas and eat the Enchiladas at El Chico. However, I ate their since 1967, so I probably consumed more than him.

3. I wear traditional Baylor green and gold attire to Baylor games. Bennett only had a bright yellow shirt.

4. Bennett coached for several teams that were not Baylor such as Texas Ass & Mule, Kansas State and Southern Methodist, so one might question where his true loyalties lie. As for my ownself, my loyalty has always been 100 percent to the Baylor Bears.

5. I can say I never coached a Baylor football team to losses in the Fiesta Bowl against UCF and the Cotton Bowl against Michigan State. I certainly could not have done any worse.

6. Thee is bona fide. His record as a player speaks for itself.

7. Bennett talks on the radio and people listen. But, then, lots of people seem to enjoy listening to rap music or enjoy watching people die in car races. Or watching soccer for that matter.

To each his own. My level of boredom hasn't reached the point where I'm interested in anything that Phil Bennett has to say.
I'm a Bearbacker
baylor1984
Ewalker80 said:

Mims was huge for the offense and B.Roy was the anchor of the defense. Quite a few of Art's guys help Rhule win at BU. There were quite a few more besides those 2 but you saw the effects of not having them this year.
Chuckroast
canoso said:

Chamberman said:

Illegal block in the back penalty.

Phantom offensive face mask call.

FG ball placement a yard or 3 closer to the line of scrimmage than it should have been.

In other words, at least 14, and as many as 17 points left on the field.

Agreed It's not like we got blown off the field. Anyone watching that game could see that we were very good and that there were several key moments that went against us. We were clearly the dominant team for 3 quarters. I believe we would've won that game at least 8 out of 10 times. It's not like Michigan State was chopped liver either.
baylor1984
Thee University said:

October 18
West Virginia 41
Baylor 27

2 years prior we gave up 807 yards and 10 touchdowns. . Yes. 10 TDs! In 1 game!. Not since the Kevin Steele days did we look so good on D.
We had 215 penalty yards and 9 pass int. penalties in that game. I don't like to complain about refs but that game was the worst officiated game I've ever seen. Mike Pereira said the same thing on the Fox telecast. I was there in person to see it firsthand unfortunately.
baylor1984
Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Please don't ever get rid of Coach Bennett's segment. I love hearing all the old stories. That doesn't mean everyone has to agree 100 percent on what he has to say but I enjoy hearing his opinions anyways.
CHP Bear
Stranger said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

I can't say my qualifications are any better than aggy Phil, but could offer a few.

2. I did, like Phil, drink the margaritas and eat the Enchiladas at El Chico. However, I ate their since 1967, so I probably consumed more than him.

3. I wear traditional Baylor green and gold attire to Baylor games. Bennett only had a bright yellow shirt.

4. Bennett coached for several teams that were not Baylor such as Texas Ass & Mule, Kansas State and Southern Methodist, so one might question where his true loyalties lie. As for my ownself, my loyalty has always been 100 percent to the Baylor Bears.

5. I can say I never coached a Baylor football team to losses in the Fiesta Bowl against UCF and the Cotton Bowl against Michigan State. I certainly could not have done any worse.

7. Bennett talks on the radio and people listen. But, then, lots of people seem to enjoy listening to rap music or enjoy watching people die in car races. Or watching soccer for that matter.

To each his own. My level of boredom hasn't reached the point where I'm interested in anything that Phil Bennett has to say.
Isn't Monday morning Quarterbacking great!
Brian Ethridge
Staff
baylor1984 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Please don't ever get rid of Coach Bennett's segment. I love hearing all the old stories. That doesn't mean everyone has to agree 100 percent on what he has to say but I enjoy hearing his opinions anyways.
We won't be getting rid of it and may expand it. It's a huge hit with the show numbers and spikes in the 20K listener range when he's on and podcast/segment listens.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Stranger said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

via GIPHY

via GIPHY

Stranger
Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/fqtyYcXoDV0X6ss8Mf" width="480" height="365" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/moodman-fqtyYcXoDV0X6ss8Mf">via GIPHY</a></p>

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l2JdU7e38RqzdlakU" width="480" height="362" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/season-13-the-simpsons-13x13-l2JdU7e38RqzdlakU">via GIPHY</a></p>

Hahaha.

Some folks don't recognize tongue-in-cheek when they read it.
I'm a Bearbacker
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Stranger said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

via GIPHY

via GIPHY

Hahaha.

I got it. Knew you could take the joke back.
hodedofome
CHP Bear said:

BUBear24 said:

Chamberman said:

You say we dumped on ourselves in the Fiesta. You are aware UCF was an excellent team. That year UCF had a team that could have won the Big12. We got beat by a better team that day. So my question, we're we overrated or was UCF underrated. As for me, at games end I definitely bought into the underrated. Also, given TCU murdered 'Ol Miss, what makes you thing BU couldn't have done the same thing?
The issue with Baylor during the Briles years was depth. Alabama can lose a starter and replace him with a 5* freshman off the bench, who is ready to play.

Starting lineup at the beginning of the season during Briles years was pretty dang good. In 2013, I'd put it right up against our 2015 team. Seastrunk and Martin were an amazing RB team, Tevin Reese could stretch the field, Petty had a rocket arm, and we had a senior filled defense. But once you took out Reese, our passing game suffered tremendously. Losing a few defensive starters killed us. We weren't the same team. Starting lineup could have played with anyone in the country, we just didn't have the depth to continue playing at that level.

2015 we lost a QB and that was it for us.

We lost the Fiesta bowl because by that time injuries turned us into a different team than what got us there to begin with.

We lost the Cotton Bowl cause we cruised into the 4th quarter.
Stranger
Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/fqtyYcXoDV0X6ss8Mf" width="480" height="365" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/moodman-fqtyYcXoDV0X6ss8Mf">via GIPHY</a></p>

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l2JdU7e38RqzdlakU" width="480" height="362" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/season-13-the-simpsons-13x13-l2JdU7e38RqzdlakU">via GIPHY</a></p>

Hahaha.

I got it. Knew you could take the joke back.

I've been Baylor fan all my life . You know I'm tough.
I'm a Bearbacker
Thee University
baylor1984 said:

Thee University said:

October 18
West Virginia 41
Baylor 27

We had 215 penalty yards and 9 pass int. penalties in that game. I don't like to complain about refs but that game was the worst officiated game I've ever seen. Mike Pereira said the same thing on the Fox telecast. I was there in person to see it firsthand unfortunately.
215 penalty yards = lack of discipline

9 pass interference penalties = dumb @$$ coaching

It was comical. If WV needed a first down all they had to do was throw the ball down the field. Our guys were out of position and beaten time after time after time. No adjustments.
Stranger
Thee University said:

baylor1984 said:

Thee University said:

October 18
West Virginia 41
Baylor 27

It was comical. If WV needed a first down all they had to do was throw the ball down the field. Our guys were out of position and beaten time after time after time. No adjustments.

You make my point. Why would anyone care what that aggy has to say on the radio?
I'm a Bearbacker
Thee University
Stranger said:

Thee University said:

baylor1984 said:

Thee University said:

October 18
West Virginia 41
Baylor 27

You make my point. Why would anyone care what that aggy has to say on the radio?
Word on the street is that very, very few Ags want anything to do with him. I appreciate the fact that Baylor has forgiving, loving arms to fall back into.

Phil Bennett
14 stops, 17 different positions, 19-52 as the head man, .267

Kevin Steele
13 stops, 19 different positions, 9-36 as the head man, .200

The similarities are haunting!
PartyBear
Bennett's career is almost twice as long as Steele's has been at this point. Bennett stops were spread out over 45 years, Steele's are all within about 25 years at the most.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.