Football
Sponsored by

Baylor QB Situation?

10,357 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by StatMan
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Timbear
He's a smart young man. He'll learn fast.
boognish_bear
historian
That's most important!! I'm looking forward to seeing him play in the green & gold.
drahthaar
bear2be2 said:

Ewalker80 said:

What's interesting is that the four quarterbacks seem to have very different skill sets. Gerry is the biggest and toughest to bring down. Also has a big arm but it's unproven if he can be accurate and make good decisions. Jacob has a huge arm and exudes confidence. Drones is kind of a mix of those two. He is a strong runner with a strong arm and very confident but not as polished as Zeno and not as big as Gerry. Shapen is a fluid athlete that is elusive and with a pretty good arm but not that tall or big. Shapen has kind of a Florence vibe to me but with maybe a little stronger arm and a little more speed. Will be very interesting to see how the depth chart emerges but I suspect we see several of these guys during the season because it is very difficult to see how these differenr skill sets will work best until live games.
If Shapen's a pro prospect as a shortstop, I'd imagine he has a significantly better arm than Florence.
And better "feet".
Ewalker80
drahthaar said:

bear2be2 said:

Ewalker80 said:

What's interesting is that the four quarterbacks seem to have very different skill sets. Gerry is the biggest and toughest to bring down. Also has a big arm but it's unproven if he can be accurate and make good decisions. Jacob has a huge arm and exudes confidence. Drones is kind of a mix of those two. He is a strong runner with a strong arm and very confident but not as polished as Zeno and not as big as Gerry. Shapen is a fluid athlete that is elusive and with a pretty good arm but not that tall or big. Shapen has kind of a Florence vibe to me but with maybe a little stronger arm and a little more speed. Will be very interesting to see how the depth chart emerges but I suspect we see several of these guys during the season because it is very difficult to see how these differenr skill sets will work best until live games.
If Shapen's a pro prospect as a shortstop, I'd imagine he has a significantly better arm than Florence.
And better "feet".

Perhaps but Florence was a very opportunistic runner. Didn't have many huge gains but had a knack for picking up third downs when needed. Also had good pocket presence and didn't take a lot of sacks. Pocket feel and elusiveness are hard to predict until you see them out there in live game action. It will hurt shapen in the competition that he will miss time for baseball. Would really have to be clearly better than the others to win the job which seems very unlikely considering the athletes he is competing against. If shapen emerges I suspect it will be later in his career.
drahthaar
No knock on Nick here, even implied. He was a good one, no doubt. I just suspect that Shapen, as a middle infielder, has better feet and probably a stronger arm. All that said, Nick would fit in well I suspect in Grimes' O.
Media Bear
boognish_bear said:

At this way-too-early juncture, I think Drones eventually will be the man down the road. Either him or Zeno, with Shapen waiting in the wings (in part because baseball).
Ewalker80
Media Bear said:

boognish_bear said:

At this way-too-early juncture, I think Drones eventually will be the man down the road. Either him or Zeno, with Shapen waiting in the wings (in part because baseball).

I predict Gerry and Zeno will both see a lot of action early in the season. I think it's unlikely Drones passes the three older highly skilled quarterbacks in the spring and summer. I know we will all be watching the battle very closely.
Media Bear
Ewalker80 said:

Media Bear said:

boognish_bear said:

I predict Gerry and Zeno will both see a lot of action early in the season. I think it's unlikely Drones passes the three older highly skilled quarterbacks in the spring and summer. I know we will all be watching the battle very closely.
I'm saying down the road (say a year or two). Not necessarily this upcoming spring/summer ...
BearsRoundBall41
He's not fast enough
Not tall enough
Doesn't have the intangibles to be a baseball player and starting QB in the Big 12
If we continue to squander talent for feelings we will continue to lose & deserve it

Id start the freshman dual threat or Zeno over him

Gerry needs a shot or should go somewhere he'll be allowed to play IMO

BUbackerinET
I think you underestimate Zeno, but if anything happens that threatens Drones' redshirt, that would concern me.
BUbackerinET
I'd like to see what Gerry could do at RB, or WR, just to see it.
Chamberman
Hopefully Bohannon and Zeno have been making good use of the educational opportunities they have been afforded, and have other plans beyond professional football. That being said, I'll trust our coaching staff to put the players on the field that give Baylor the best chance to win.
BUBear24
BUbackerinET said:

I'd like to see what Gerry could do at RB, or WR, just to see it.

I think we all would or at LB like some schools were recruiting him for but that decision to only play QB has been his just like Tebow refusing to move to TE in the NFL. Could be amazing at it but he just wants to play QB
BUbackerinET
Yeah, I know, just wishful thinking
Ewalker80
BearsRoundBall41 said:

He's not fast enough
Not tall enough
Doesn't have the intangibles to be a baseball player and starting QB in the Big 12
If we continue to squander talent for feelings we will continue to lose & deserve it

Id start the freshman dual threat or Zeno over him

Gerry needs a shot or should go somewhere he'll be allowed to play IMO

Gerry will get a shot to compete for starting role this spring.
Steve Sadler
No hidden agenda here; just asking. When is the last time you saw a D1 quarterback also play significant innings in baseball?

Seems if it was realistically time manageable, it would not be so rare.
boognish_bear
SSadler1 said:

No hidden agenda here; just asking. When is the last time you saw a D1 quarterback also play significant innings in baseball?

Not comparing them at all.... but first thing to come to mind

boognish_bear
No Longer Gold
They just stole middle Tennessee state's guy...
Bexar Pitts
SSadler1 said:

Rare..but BU's Sammy Bickham was a QB and pitcher for the Bears in mid-late 70's. I think a knee injury cut his career short.
Ewalker80
EasyE said:

The lack of playing time Bohannon and Zeno received last season raised a lot of eyebrows for sure and certainly suggested that the offensive staff had little faith that they would be able to produce. It will be interesting to see if that continues to be the case with the new staff.

There's more to the story about never giving those guys a chance than we know and I don't think we can safely infer their lack of talent was the reason they never played. Rhule thought they had enough to play the season before. I could come up with you other plausible explanations but they would all be speculation.
boognish_bear

StatMan
I expect a healthy competition to decide who will be the next starting QB for the Baylor Bears during spring football practices. I also think comparisons will be made with the former starting QB, Charlie Brewer.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.