Football
Sponsored by

Chart Comparison of All (I think) P5 Private Schools, Thoughts? What surprises you?

3,116 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by historian
TomW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FLBear5630
Seems the only value is in research, not teaching. Under this new criteria, BU is in trouble.
EatMoreSalmon
Enrollment figures are misaligned with the column headers it appears.

Northwestern enrollment looks like it includes the Chicago campus. Evanston campus is around 15000 total.

USC is missing. I believe it is the largest private university in the country. It has around 20,000 undergrads and 26,000 graduate and professional students. It is also AAU.
TomW
EatMoreSalmon said:

Enrollment figures are misaligned with the column headers it appears.

Northwestern enrollment looks like it includes the Chicago campus. Evanston campus is around 15000 total.

USC is missing. I believe it is the largest private university in the country. It has around 20,000 undergrads and 26,000 graduate and professional students. It is also AAU.
Chart fixed in alignment and added USC
TomW
Chart replaced now
EatMoreSalmon
All of these schools except USC are in jeopardy right now. Notre Dame has the best chance of doing well in the remixing. Everyone else could be left with emptier bank accounts in athletics. Not sure even Stanford can keep enough eyeballs on their silly tree to make the Super Conference happy to have them.
RightRevBear
Phil Knight and Nike will ensure that Stanford remains P5.
Ewalker80
You should add us news ranking which is another relevant metric. Baylor number two in big 12 (number one of eight remaining) and comfortably ahead of tcu.
Stefano DiMera
Why would he care about Stanford?
historian
I wonder if AAU is that big of a deal. I know in academia more emphasis is placed on research these days. Research is a good thing but it's not more important than teaching which is still the reason universities exist. At least it should be. I suspect the taxpayers who foot their bills think so. I also noticed that the AAU members bragged on their website about how many federal grants they get. We should all be interested in where our tax dollars are going.

I also wonder how it compares in "wokeness." I would not be too surprised if it's members are among the most "woke" schools in the country.
TomW
Only reason AAU status is there is in the Big 10 all but one member are AAU so if that was a landing spot its something they would look at.
Lion82
If academics mattered at all Texas wouldn't be going to the Sec. all that matters is the money. You would think that woke Texas would not consider going to a conference where the confederate flag is still proudly flown by some at tailgates
The university of Texas is full of **** and are a bunch of hypocrites. They should cut a deal with msnbc and have them broadcast their games with that dude Rachel Maddow announcing.
WNIT in '23
historian
And change their mascot to something vegan! Change their school colors to the rainbow flag.
Polo Bear
Lion82 said:

If academics mattered at all Texas wouldn't be going to the Sec. all that matters is the money. You would think that woke Texas would not consider going to a conference where the confederate flag is still proudly flown by some at tailgates
The university of Texas is full of **** and are a bunch of hypocrites. They should cut a deal with msnbc and have them broadcast their games with that dude Rachel Maddow announcing.

I would love to have baylor games broadcasted with Jason Whitlock as an announcer.
RightRevBear
Stefano DiMera said:

Why would he care about Stanford?

He got his MBA there and he has donated over 500 million to them.

https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/insights/phil-knight-controversial-kaepernick-ad-nikes-never-give-attitude
Pecos 45
RightRevBear said:

Phil Knight and Nike will ensure that Stanford remains P5.
You're thinking of Oregon.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
RightRevBear
Phil Knight got his undergrad at Oregon and his MBA at Stanford. He has generously given to both institutions. He has given more to Oregon, but as the link I posted above shows he has given over 500 million to Stanford.
RightRevBear
It is kind of like Drayton McLane giving to both Baylor and Michigan State, but on a much higher level.
Pecos 45
RightRevBear said:

Phil Knight got his undergrad at Oregon and his MBA at Stanford. He has generously given to both institutions. He has given more to Oregon, but as the link I posted above shows he has given over 500 million to Stanford.
And he outfits the Oregon Ducks in their football unis.
I think they get more than Stanford.

But more to the point, who is our Phil Knight?
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Stefano DiMera
Jeff Dunham.
historian
Probably Chip & Joanna in terms fame & popularity. In terms of $$$ its Drayton McLane without question.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.