Story Poster
Baylor Football

Dave Aranda on Jacob Zeno's decision to enter the transfer portal

September 28, 2021

On Tuesday morning, Baylor reserve quarterback Jacob Zeno entered his name into the transfer portal with the intention of leaving the University. Zeno, a 6-foot-2, 220-pound redshirt sophomore from San Antonio threw for 282 career yards with two total touchdowns.

Baylor head coach Dave Aranda provided SicEm365’s David Smoak with this quote regarding Zeno’s departure:

"I appreciate Jacob. I value him as a person, I recognize the qualities he brings as a player. I respect the way that he competed and not asking for this type of treatment or not wanting this type of selection, but totally investing in the competition. When things didn't come his way accepting it and working to get better and then when there became a battle for the number two spot, same thing.

”So nothing but respect for me for him and his family. I know he's very close with his dad and this was something they wanted to do and I can see it and understand it. And I told him that nothing but positive stuff for me and I'll help you whoever and whatever. Please let me know. I want to see him be happy and be somewhere where you can fulfill the stuff he wants to do. When you look at where the quarterback position is going. I think there's probably going to be more of this. I would like for us to not have to experience a lot of it. I imagine we're all probably old school in that way of thinking, but you know from Jacob's part I understand it and I wish him well. “
Discussion from...

Dave Aranda on Jacob Zeno's decision to enter the transfer portal

11,436 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BUGWBBear
stoddwilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's hard to see such a great young talent leave, but we have other great talent behind Bohannon that can step up. I look forward to seeing where he will land and how this young man performs in the future. All the best to him!
bear2be2
Reading between the lines here, it almost sounds from Aranda's comments like Zeno had been beaten out by Shapen for the No. 2 spot as well. If so, he should definitely move on and try to find a spot with a better path to playing time.

I like Zeno's tools, and I hope he finds success at his next stop, but his high school numbers always concerned me a little bit. If you're not completing 60 percent of your passes against high school defenses, that's a red flag IMO. The windows in high school are much larger than they are in Division I college football. If you're a sub-55 percent passer, it's likely you're just inaccurate.
PartyBear
Aranda sounds like a solid human being with his statements about Zeno and helping him find a new school etc.
BearFan33
Best of luck to him. He's got a heck of an arm, that I'm sure will find a good home.
SicemBearz
All the best Jacob, once a Bear always a bear!
chorne68
I really thought he was going to be our next quarterback. I am happy with Gary and I also think he was beaten out for number 2. I wish him luck.
BUGWBBear
Disappointed, but what's done is done.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.