Baylor Homecoming 1968

2,715 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by whitetrash
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
GruntTuff
Thanks Historian. Great film. I was in that parade.....as a pledge. I love the shot of the dad smoking a cigarette at Cameron park. Notice all the white short sleeve shirts and skinny ties.

We beat the Aggies 10-9 that day. It was John Bridgers last season. He was a coach who did a lot with a little....underrespected in my opinion. He was in many ways ahead of his time.....a really good offensive coach who was coaching with one hand tied behind his back.
chriscbear
Baylor intercepted a Ed Hargett pass in the 4th quarter to seal the win. Aggies had won SWC in 1967. I was 11 years old.
Stranger
GruntTuff said:

Thanks Historian. Great film. I was in that parade.....as a pledge. I love the shot of the dad smoking a cigarette at Cameron park. Notice all the white short sleeve shirts and skinny ties.

We beat the Aggies 10-9 that day. It was John Bridgers last season. He was a coach who did a lot with a little....underrespected in my opinion. He was in many ways ahead of his time.....a really good offensive coach who was coaching with one hand tied behind his back.

. . . what Grunt said.
I'm a Bearbacker
CTbruin
I was a freshman. Also a big John Bridgers fan. Growing up in Woodway, a couple of assistants were neighbors and good family friends.

I was one about 500 fans that saw Bridgers last game that year vs Rice. In a driving rain.

And we replaced him with the worst coach ever……Bill Beall
Stranger
historian said:

What a surprise! I'm actually in that film.

At about the 4:18 mark, I'm a NoZeman in a dark suit with a panama hat and a plunger over my shoulder handing out copies of the "Rope" to infidels on the near side of the street!

Bro Lord NoZe. Keeper of the Kut and Kutter of the Unkut.

Keko muckety muck. Mene mene tekel upharsen. Satchel on Brother Long NoZe, Satch.
I'm a Bearbacker
PartyBear
Stranger what was the specific parade route back then? Including the down town portion.
whitetrash
I was there at age 6. Out of the 233 games at Baylor Stadium/FCS that I can recall (can't recall any prior to 1968, but I was at a few), this one was the only one where I sat on the concrete in the south endzone.

A few observations about the parade:

They were standing on the front steps of Martin, so apparently between 1965 and 1968 the route shifted from 8th street to 5th street.

I-35 construction hadn't started yet, because to the left just beyond the Penland parking lot across the street you could see a thick row of trees and houses, about where the Exxon/Subway is now.

Floats were parked on Fountain Mall, with the brand new library (which had just opened that year) in the background.

Just before the NoZe came by, there was a float (couldn't tell whose) labeled "Homecoming Float" that appeared to depict a scoop of ice cream on top of a Big Red, but looked like a giant red and white ball. We tried a similar theme in 1982 with a "Float the Pigs" float that ended up looking more like a beer mug with a straw.

To answer Party's question earlier, IIRC the downtown route was traditionally down Austin, but when they closed Austin to vehicles in 1970 and turned it into a desolate wasteland and haven for vagrants "pedestrian mall", they shifted the route to Washington. I remember a few years in the early/mid 70s watching the parade from my mom's office on the 2nd floor overlooking Washington. It moved back to Austin when they tore out the mall and allowed traffic again in about 1979 or 1980.
dstaylor57
Walking a full grown bear down the parade route by a chain. Those were the days!
drahthaar
Dang, you guys were Iucky. I was already at the stadium getting ready for the game, which was at night, for crying' out loud. And my take--personal opinion here--- is that Beall was not the worst coach; that belongs to Kevin. I knew 'em both, and worked for Bridgers and Beall; knew the staffs well.Both Bridgers' and Beall's staffs had some capable coaches. Bridgers had some guys who were over-the-hill and needed to go long before the axe fell. I recall one playing mumbletypeg on the bench during a close game. Beall had some (too many) who did not know how or would not develop players over time: they are too used to dealing with Blue Chips. But they could yell a lot! One was flat out scary nuts when a football was rolled out. Unfortunately, these guys overshadowed some really good coaches and good men. it was a tough time for outstanding players like Richard Stevens, Dennis Dennard, Trent Phipps, Tommy Reaux, Rollin Hunter, Steve Stuart, Randy Cooper, Don Hugghins, Bob Stephenson, Laney Cook, Steve Lane.....
Born_A_Bear
And children ran out to pet the bears. What a different and wonderful time.
historian
Not as many snowflakes back then.
GruntTuff
CTbruin said:

I was a freshman. Also a big John Bridgers fan. Growing up in Woodway, a couple of assistants were neighbors and good family friends.

I was one about 500 fans that saw Bridgers last game that year vs Rice. In a driving rain.

GruntTuff
CTbruin said:

GruntTuff
CT…..it was us and 498 others. I came back to Waco after Thanksgiving to party, make a few dollars and help Ruben Santos and the crew at the SUB where I worked build the Christmas tree in the foyer and decorate the building.

The rats pushing the whiskey bottles around in the attic at 1001 Speight made quite a noise. The cold weather had driven them inside.

I went to the game to escape the clanking and scratching.

I guess Stranger was in Ranger.
GruntTuff
Sorry for the multiple attempts…a bit challenging on a phone.
drahthaar
GruntTuff said:

CT…..it was us and 498 others. I came back to Waco after Thanksgiving to party, make a few dollars and help Ruben Santos and the crew at the SUB where I worked build the Christmas tree in the foyer and decorate the building.

The rats pushing the whiskey bottles around in the attic at 1001 Speight made quite a noise. The cold weather had driven them inside.

Oh, Stranger was most likely there.

I also recall Roy Dearmon tore up the Ags' T from his DE position. recall Jerry Smith, Mark Lewis, Brian Blessing...
TenBears
The Beall v Steele debate is one for the aged
historian
I hope you mean "ages". We already have to many silly arguments between old farts on these boards!
PartyBear
I'm not sure how the parade is going to go down 5th street in a couple of weeks with all the construction and in terms of a potential alt route down U Parks, it is just as bad.
Stranger
GruntTuff said:

Could be.
I'm a Bearbacker
CTbruin
notbubbleboy said:

The Beall v Steele debate is one for the aged

IMO, not close. Beall was awful. Abner hired him from LSU. He was "assistant " secondary coach. When he left, he was not replaced.

Steele became a decent SEC DC. He knew football, just not a HC. When Beall got fired, he sold insurance.
PartyBear
I thought Beall was actually doing some coaching in the Memphis area for some schools there. I don't think he was a HS HC or anything. I thought he may have been a middle school HC in the late 90s. I thought I remember a post on Baylor fans about it around 2000 or so.
ABC BEAR
dstaylor57 said:

Walking a full grown bear down the parade route by a chain. Those were the days!
Don't expect one to sit quietly in your backseat while driving to College Station.
ABC BEAR
Stranger said:

historian said:

At about the 4:18 mark, I'm a NoZeman in a dark suit with a panama hat and a plunger over my shoulder handing out copies of the "Rope" to infidels on the near side of the street!

Keko muckety muck. Mene mene tekel upharsen. Satchel on Brother Long NoZe, Satch.
That was you in the panama hat? I thought it was Leon Redbone crashing our parade.
Stranger
ABC BEAR said:

Stranger said:

historian said:

That was you in the panama hat? I thought it was Leon Redbone crashing our parade.

Leon wanted to be in the NoZe so I gave him the hat before he started his singing career.
I'm a Bearbacker
Bexar Pitts
drahthaar said:

Dang, you guys were Iucky. I was already at the stadium getting ready for the game, which was at night, for crying' out loud. And my take--personal opinion here--- is that Beall was not the worst coach; that belongs to Kevin. I knew 'em both, and worked for Bridgers and Beall; knew the staffs well.Both Bridgers' and Beall's staffs had some capable coaches. Bridgers had some guys who were over-the-hill and needed to go long before the axe fell. I recall one playing mumbletypeg on the bench during a close game. Beall had some (too many) who did not know how or would not develop players over time: they are too used to dealing with Blue Chips. But they could yell a lot! One was flat out scary nuts when a football was rolled out. Unfortunately, these guys overshadowed some really good coaches and good men. it was a tough time for outstanding players like Richard Stevens, Dennis Dennard, Trent Phipps, Tommy Reaux, Rollin Hunter, Steve Stuart, Randy Cooper, Don Hugghins, Bob Stephenson, Laney Cook, Steve Lane.....
Culpepper never yelled, did he? :-) BTW, Thanks for mentioning my old "padna" and dear friend, the late Laney Cook. He was indeed an extraordinary athlete, as were many of the guys you mentioned.
Pea Weevil
Does anybody recall a flying saucer fly over a Baylor homecoming bonfire? It was back in the late 1960s or early 1970s. I don't know if it was a prank or what but the crowd went totally silent for a few seconds. I was a little kid at the time but distinctly remember it being totally silent, flying south to north and visible via the bonfire
Stranger
Pea Weevil said:

Does anybody recall a flying saucer fly over a Baylor homecoming bonfire? It was back in the late 1960s or early 1970s. I don't if it was a prank or what but the crowd went totally silent for a few seconds.

three of my friends got taken into that flying saucer and were never seen again.

at least that's what I remember.
I'm a Bearbacker
PartyBear
Pea Weevil said:

Does anybody recall a flying saucer fly over a Baylor homecoming bonfire? It was back in the late 1960s or early 1970s. I don't if it was a prank or what but the crowd went totally silent for a few seconds.

This has to be explained in more detail. I have never heard of this until this post.
drahthaar
I think Pat could still have played then.; still the most fiery human being I ever knew. I recall one individual who was set on doing bad things to Culpepper! He even went and stayed ballistic when we played Texas.

Anyone recall Pete McCulley, the haute couture offensive coach? later, for a short spell, was HC of the Los Angeles Rams. Taylor McNeel, Jack Little. Lee Harrington will resonate.
CTbruin
Don't forget Herb Zimmerman
saabing bear
drahthaar said:

Anyone recall Pete McCulley, the haute couture offensive coach? later, for a short spell, was HC of the Los Angeles Rams. Taylor McNeel, Jack Little. Lee Harrington will resonate.
Somehow seems like he coached the 49ers.
PartyBear
I just googled him he did. I had no idea the Qb coach for John Bridgers was the HC of the 49ers 10 years after leaving Baylor.
drahthaar
saabing bear said:

drahthaar said:

Somehow seems like he coached the 49ers.
You're correct--my bad.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.