Football
Sponsored by

NEWS Bob Bowlsby Says Texas, Oklahoma Departure 'Personal Betrayal': Report

4,871 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Redbrickbear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
JustWinBears
At this point just pretend they don't exist. Talking about them leaving does nothing for the conference. Let them leave in silence and focus on the new big 12.
historian
But make sure the pay every penny they owe!!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Surf Oso
JustWinBears said:

At this point just pretend they don't exist. Talking about them leaving does nothing for the conference. Let them leave in silence and focus on the new big 12.
except to withhold all their funds
Lately, newspaper mentioned cheap airfare
I've got to fly to Saint Somewhere
I'm close to bodily harm
SMack
He feels personally betrayed because he was their loyal shill for nine years.

He promoted the interests of OU and UT, not the conference, now he still claims to represent the conference. I have my doubts.
Stranger
Interesting comments since Bowlsby was definitely in bed with Texas and OU who both encouraged him to rid the conference of Art Briles and punish Baylor for rising to prominence.

Guess he does feel a little personal betrayal. Most likely feels used, as well.
I'm a Bearbacker
Robert Wilson
SMack and Stranger are spot on here.

That said, Bowlsby is also correct. Texas is already making as much money as anyone in the country. Money isn't their problem. Nor is recruiting. This move isn't going to fix their issues. They're going to find out ... wherever you go, there you are.

That said, I'm ready for them to leave and this conference to move on - I'm excited about the new configuration.
parch
In hindsight the Longhorns were more or less willing partners in the league's growth until the LHN started in 2010, at which point they became a Big 12 member in name only. It's telling, too, that their football program's precipitous and calamitous decline began in earnest in... 2010.
bear2be2
parch said:

In hindsight the Longhorns were more or less willing partners in the league's growth until the LHN started in 2010, at which point they became a Big 12 member in name only. It's telling, too, that their football program's precipitous and calamitous decline began in earnest in... 2010.
I think the network was certainly a factor, but I'd argue their decline has had more to do with a shifting college football landscape toward parity. Programs like Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma State and Iowa State rose to Texas' level, and rather than match those programs' work ethic and engenuity, they leaned even harder into their "We're Texas" entitlement culture. They've yet to realize that there's nothing inherently special about them. At this point they're just a rich athletic program that consistently does less with more.
BearFan33
Surf Oso said:

JustWinBears said:

except to withhold all their funds
Withhold the exit fee from both UT and OU immediately. Do everything (else) you can to make them want to leave early. We have the votes to be vindictive.

I believe Bowelsby does not have the guts for this and continue to want him replaced ASAP. He simply can't be trusted. Find someone new who is aggressive, won't play favorites, and knows TV and media contracts inside and out. I simply can't understand what magic this guy has to remain employed by the B12. He has been a disaster.

Sure he got 4 new teams to join, anyone could have done that.

(Edited to reflect new info provided by Smoak)
Pecos 45
Again, I ask, "Where are our elected officials?"
Contrast A$$butt and Lt. Gov. Dick Pushup's non-actions with those of Bob Bullock and Ann Richards when the Big 12 tried to leave Baylor and Tech behind.
There IS something they can do (anyone noticed all the executive orders Gov. A$$butt has been issuing?) if they would only stop being bystanders.
The PUF funds can be withheld.
It may take a constitutional amendment to do it, but they've already jumped through hoops to change our voting laws, so what's the big deal?

Bottom line: The departure of UT will harm our businesses in Texas, and the Whorns get plenty of State money, so pull the purse strings.

Don't tell me what you can't do.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
BUdebater
bear2be2 said:

parch said:

I think the network was certainly a factor, but I'd argue their decline has had more to do with a shifting college football landscape toward parity. Programs like Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma State and Iowa State rose to Texas' level, and rather than match those programs' work ethic and engenuity, they leaned even harder into their "We're Texas" entitlement culture. They've yet to realize that there's nothing inherently special about them. At this point they're just a rich athletic program that consistently does less with more.
They're like the rich kid who thinks he's a bad ass because his grandad made a fortune and never realizes you got to work to make a name for yourself.
RegentCoverup
SMack said:

He feels personally betrayed because he was their loyal shill for nine years.

He promoted the interests of OU and UT, not the conference, now he still claims to represent the conference. I have my doubts.
This.

Bowlsby deserves what he gets. And I think we'd strike more fear i nto the market if we got rid of him and got someone with no ties to either school.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
RegentCoverup
Pecos 45 said:

Bottom line: The departure of UT will harm our businesses in Texas, and the Whorns get plenty of State money, so pull the purse strings.

Agree.

That giant sucking sound is (insert joke) the sound of cash and athletes leaving the state of Texas.

SMack
#DefundUT
ImABearToo
Hey Bob, where's our money from the "manufactured" scandal? Need our account and routing number? Waiting.
PartyBear
They arent going to hurt the economy in Texas. I think you are way over inflating the role of UT football in the Texas economy for God's sake. Neverthless even so they pick up an annual game against A&M, they will continue to play Tech annually for 25 years apparently. Does their not playing TCU and Baylor really even hurt the Ft Worth and Waco economies? I dont know anymore actually. If this was 1994 I would say yeah it would hurt Waco's somewhat. I'm not sure now actually especially with P5 football remaining in Waco with a new XII. I think Waco's economy would fair better in the new XII than if Baylor had moved to the Pac or ACC actually. More people in the new XII will come to Waco to see their team on the road in Waco than if we were in one of those other two conferences.
Pecos 45
Sorry, but there are already studies showing the harm that will be done to Waco, Fort Worth and Lubbock when those games with UT are gone.
Texas fans fill the hotels and restaurants, not to mention all of the other businesses that benefit from a football game with the largest university in Texas.
Quote:
"For the communities across the Big 12 Conference, the realignment could be expected to cause losses of $938.9 million in annual gross product and 12,623 jobs under Scenario 1, with $1.3 billion in annual gross product and 18,063 jobs."

Here is the full economic report out on the millions in lost dollars if this happens.
https://www.perrymangroup.com/publications/report/2021/07/28/potential-economic-consequences-of-texas-and-ou-leaving-the-big-12-conference/
This isn't high school ball.
It WILL harm the economies of our cities in Texas.
Malcolm Forbes
PartyBear
I think he said his model is based on 1. The XII getting the same income as the AAC and 2. If the XII schools have to join new conferences. Neither is the scenario that has played out
Alf
Pecos 45 said:

Sorry, but there are already studies showing the harm that will be done to Waco, Fort Worth and Lubbock when those games with UT are gone.
Texas fans fill the hotels and restaurants, not to mention all of the other businesses that benefit from a football game with the largest university in Texas.
Quote:
"For the communities across the Big 12 Conference, the realignment could be expected to cause losses of $938.9 million in annual gross product and 12,623 jobs under Scenario 1, with $1.3 billion in annual gross product and 18,063 jobs."

Here is the full economic report out on the millions in lost dollars if this happens.
https://www.perrymangroup.com/publications/report/2021/07/28/potential-economic-consequences-of-texas-and-ou-leaving-the-big-12-conference/

Spin Doctors. You can come up with "studies" to support most any argument. Fact is, last week there were as many BYU fans in Waco as UT fans typically are. I presume they got hotel rooms and ate meals while in town. Probably spent more money in Waco than the typical UT fan.
I know South Bend is a lot closer to Cincy than Waco but they look to travel well. I'm guessing UH will also be bringing in a lot of folks.
Bottom line: UT/OU good riddance!
Robert Wilson
Alf said:

Pecos 45 said:

Quote:

Spin Doctors. You can come up with "studies" to support most any argument. Fact is, last week there were as many BYU fans in Waco as UT fans typically are. I presume they got hotel rooms and ate meals while in town. Probably spent more money in Waco than the typical UT fan.
I know South Bend is a lot closer to Cincy than Waco but they look to travel well. I'm guessing UH will also be bringing in a lot of folks.

Indeed
RegentCoverup
Well then I guess I'm lost here.

The State gets my tax dollars to educate the poor and the needy, right?

If they pay a guy $10 million a year to coach football, they probably don't need my tax dollars.

Self Made Bear
Well, the rest of the conference feels betrayed by you, Bowlsby. We've been long overdue for a commissioner that actually works for the good of the conference. Maybe now with UT and OU gone we can get one.
historian
I think we already have one, now that they are on the way out, although not everyone will be satisfied.
BearlyBeloved
Economic studies?

It's said that if you lined up all the world's economists, shoulder-to-shoulder, they still would never reach a conclusion.

Johnny Bear
Pecos 45 said:

Contrast A$$butt and Lt. Gov. Dick Pushup's non-actions with those of Bob Bullock and Ann Richards when the Big 12 tried to leave Baylor and Tech behind.
There IS something they can do (anyone noticed all the executive orders Gov. A$$butt has been issuing?) if they would only stop being bystanders.
It may take a constitutional amendment to do it, but they've already jumped through hoops to change our voting laws, so what's the big deal?

Yeah, if only the dimcrats were in charge of our state. Then we'd really be a model of success like California, Illinois, and New York………….. oh, wait ……………
historian
Pronltm is they many of them are fleeing those dumpster fires & coming to Texas. I don't know how many of them are aware that the blame goes to the politicians they elected, so they share some of that blame.
Pecos 45
Alf said:

Pecos 45 said:

Quote:

OK, I provided a source for my statements.
Where's your source?
Malcolm Forbes
Pecos 45
Johnny Bear said:

Pecos 45 said:

Yeah, if only the dimcrats were in charge of our state. Then we'd really be a model of success like California, Illinois, and New York………….. oh, wait ……………
Doesn't mater who is in office.
Our elected officials should be looking out for the state of Texas, not their party.
Thanks for trying to change the subject, though.
Malcolm Forbes
Pecos 45
BearlyBeloved said:

Economic studies?

It's said that if you lined up all the world's economists, shoulder-to-shoulder, they still would never reach a conclusion.

So you suggest we use lawyers?
Again, I provided a source for my statements.
What do you have?
Malcolm Forbes
roygbell
You, good Baylor folks, hate OU and Texas and I understand why, as do most conference fans. You wonder why OU and Texas are leaving the conference and the reason is money. OU and Texas are leaving the Big 12 because they want to be in a conference that will give them the best opportunity to be in a stable conference and going to take their sports programs to the SEC. The SEC will guarantee OU and Texas some stability and better payoff in share of SEC earnings.

The SEC wants OU and Texas because they also want teams that are going to carry their own load and contribute to the money coffers.

And the reason the SEC is after OU and Texas is that they add butts in the front of TV, etc.

OU and Texas have led the Big 12 for the whole time the Big 12 has been in existence and here is why this is. Here is the 2019 Viewership "Big" Network Televised Games - Total Viewership for the Year

OU - 46.9 million, 11 games
Tx - 31.4 million, 9 games
OSU - 13 million, 6 games
ISU - 10 million, 9 games
KSU - 10 million, 8 games
KU - 4.6 million, 5 games
WVU - 13.3 million, 10 games
TCU - 10 million, 9 games
Baylor - 15.1 million, 9 games
TTech - 11 million, 10 games

I will guarantee if Baylor was bringing in 46.9 million into the conference and you had a shot at moving into a conference, you would do it as well.

Fact: OU and Texas bring to the conference almost as much as the total of the other eight schools. OU and Texas brought in 78.3 million while the other eight schools brought a total of 87 million. Texas and OU averaged $39.2 million while the rest of the eight schools on average brought in 10,8 million in 2019.

OU and Texas in 2019 on average brought roughly four times as the other eight teams.

It is easy to see why OU and Texas are bolting the Big 12. As an OU fan, I am not a fan of the SEC. However, we are going to see massive changes in college football with these Super Conferences. OU has been a partner with most of the Big 12 teams going back to and before the 1940s. OSU, KU, K-State, Iowa State and then the other schools, Baylor, Texas Tech and lately TCU. I would rather be in the Big 12 as I much prefer the other eight conference teams. Unfortunately, losing Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado, and A&M is the reason we are here today looking at the decimation of the Big 12.

It is unfortunate that is happening. What is going to happen to the Big 12 is that you will pick up four schools that will be in the $10 to $15 million dollars in annual to the conference. and instead of $165.3 million split by 10 schools, it will be something like $135 million divided by 12 which is roughly about $11.25 million instead of something like $16 million. Meanwhile, OU and Texas will likely be earning something from $40 to $60 million from the SEC.

Robert Wilson
Enjoy cashing your dividend checks. Oh wait…

OU will make more money. No question. It won't be as extreme as you suggest, because the big 12 does not split revenue equally and does not require tier 3 rights, but both schools will make more money. Of course, UT was already making as much money as anyone in the country. It was not making them happy. The conference was stable but for UT and OU *****ing. Now that they're gone, it will be stable.

I hope both schools are happy overall with their new arrangement. I think the rest of the big 12 will be happier long-term with them gone, even with a smaller tv deal (I do not think it will be as much smaller as you suggest, and it will now likely include tier 3 and revenue be split more equally, but it will no doubt be smaller).
historian
Truth. The main reason for any instability, or any other problems, in the Big 12 was UT & to a slightly lesser degree OU who is happy to be their lapdog.
Robert Wilson
historian said:

Truth. The main reason for any instability, or any other problems, in the Big 12 was UT & to a slightly lesser degree OU who is happy to be their lapdog.

No kidding. Look at the instability that UT has caused historically in this conference. Unbelievable. So glad to have the crazy girlfriend move on.
historian
This point can not be stressed too much. In fact, we will be stronger & more stable with the new partners & without the nasty baggage.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.