Football
Sponsored by

ND Kelly to LSU

9,547 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by boognish_bear
Shakesbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Pirate said it best: " Everyone has lost their minds"!
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
That's gonna be a tough meeting. Sucks for those kids.

SIC EM 94
boognish_bear said:

That's gonna be a tough meeting. Sucks for those kids.

Wow…that is horrible! Those players should all reply simply with "GFY".
Mitch Henessey
whitetrash
BearTruth13 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

BearTruth13 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

BearTruth13 said:

PartyBear said:

Seems like a stupid move by Kelly.

Change of scenery and he probably had reached his ceiling at ND. It isn't the juggernaut it once was.

When was it a juggernaut? When it was going 11-1 under Holtz? It's been going 11-1 under Kelly for years.

When it wasn't getting blown by 30 in the playoffs. They haven't been a real NC contenders in decades.

Holtz did win one but was never close any other time. So tell me again: when were they a juggernaut? The '30s?

They won 4 or 5 in the 60s and 70s.
1966 (9-0-1, didnt go to a bowl)
1973 (11-1, beat Bama)
1977 (11-1, beat UT)
Freedomb3ar
whitetrash said:

BearTruth13 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

BearTruth13 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

BearTruth13 said:

PartyBear said:

Seems like a stupid move by Kelly.

Change of scenery and he probably had reached his ceiling at ND. It isn't the juggernaut it once was.

When was it a juggernaut? When it was going 11-1 under Holtz? It's been going 11-1 under Kelly for years.

When it wasn't getting blown by 30 in the playoffs. They haven't been a real NC contenders in decades.

Holtz did win one but was never close any other time. So tell me again: when were they a juggernaut? The '30s?

They won 4 or 5 in the 60s and 70s.
1966 (9-0-1, didnt go to a bowl)
1973 (11-1, beat Bama)
1977 (11-1, beat UT)

They also lost 1 game in 89 and I think BC kept them out of the title gem in 1993?
PartyBear
I don't see how any one thinks Meyer can be hired by a university especially a church school like ND with his Ohio St scandal then his viral video of him grabbing 20 something ass behind his wife's back a month ago.
SIC EM 94
Notre Dame will go get Fickell from Cincinnati now.
Jayman1963
PartyBear said:

I don't see how any one thinks Meyer can be hired by a university especially a church school like ND with his Ohio St scandal then his viral video of him grabbing 20 something ass behind his wife's back a month ago.
Meyer is a scumbag but the Catholic church has been turning a blind eye to pedophiles for years.
boognish_bear
BUmoneymaker
How does the money thing work, i mean seriously this is getting silly.

College tuition and athletics $$$ growth is simply unsustainable. When does it crash and people realize its just stupid. The winners are the coaches for sure

I guess if big money donors and TV networks want to keep shelling it out. I certainly dont like state revenues paying this. Glad Im not being asked to cover.
Wineguy89
Aliceinbubbleland said:

PartyBear said:

I believe that is a dream job for him. He is a very active Catholic.
Louisiana is three states. North Louisiana (solid Baptist), South Louisiana (solid Catholic) and New Orleans. Shreveport is Waco. Baton Rouge is Beaumont and no one is like New Orleans.

All the biggest LSU money comes from Shreveport.

I was at the ND LSU game in BR around 1970 when ND was highly ranked and LSU fans were burning Rosaries outside the stadium before the game. If He is coming because he is Catholic he would be better served at ND lol.
LSU fans leave their religion at the stadium entrances.

LMAO....you obviously haven't been to Shreveport lately.....the biggest LSU money comes from there? Shreveport is broker than Chicago on a bender.
FLBear5630
dstaylor57 said:

Would fickell take the ND job?

That would be interesting. South Bend winters suck...
FLBear5630
Self Made Bear said:

These salaries have gotten out-of-hand, spurred on by these big schools egos to buy the biggest name coaches. The carousel will only start spinning faster as coaches will seek to cash in and get their paycheck while the gettin's good.

The down side is the window to win is small. HCs are fine, it is the Assistants that get screwed (relative term based on money). But you can go for 350k Assistant Coach to 30k quality control in a season.
PartyBear
At 15 million a year there have to be provisions such as, if there is not a national title within 3 seasons this contract is null and void. Universities can't afford to hand out 150 million to football coaches even if they have to fire them after 4 seasons. I can't believe BMDs want to throw their money away like that either. And at 15 million a year a HC better produce it all for the program and fast.
Aliceinbubbleland
Quote:

LMAO....you obviously haven't been to Shreveport lately.....the biggest LSU money comes from there? Shreveport is broker than Chicago on a bender.

Donors have nothing to do with local governments. Scotty Moran and his wife were at one time the two biggest benefactors (Moran Oil). Then Hank Anderson, Haynesville Shale). The Sample family. Bo Campbell to name a few.

gobears20
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
ScottS
I should have been a head coach.
Bexar Pitts
Wonder if Mulkey now feels...underpaid? :-)
cowboycwr
Self Made Bear said:

These salaries have gotten out-of-hand, spurred on by these big schools egos to buy the biggest name coaches. The carousel will only start spinning faster as coaches will seek to cash in and get their paycheck while the gettin's good.
Exactly. Pretty much anyone would take these salaries with buyouts for a few years knowing they could get fired after two or 3 years with poor performance.

Then with the way so many G5 schools are willing to hire the big name has beens the chance of getting another job are really good.

Liberty with Hugh Freeze

Jacksonville State with Rich Rod.

etc.

Take the big pay at big name school for 2 or 3 years and then take a smaller job with less expectations where you will get 5-7 years and a chance to move back up.

Mitch Henessey
BUmoneymaker said:

How does the money thing work, i mean seriously this is getting silly.

College tuition and athletics $$$ growth is simply unsustainable. When does it crash and people realize its just stupid. The winners are the coaches for sure

I guess if big money donors and TV networks want to keep shelling it out. I certainly dont like state revenues paying this. Glad Im not being asked to cover.
But we can't pay the players. That would be a bridge too far.
Jack Bauer
That was fast...

CorsicanaBear
gobears20
Staff
boognish_bear
So....it's not $15 million. That makes me feel a little better.

Oops….just saw GB already posted this
CorsicanaBear
I know its just a business. I know nobody shows loyalty to coaches. And I understand that schools are getting the loyalty out of coaches that they give.

But it still seems extremely disingenuous, maybe immoral, for a man to stand in front of young men (emphasis on that) who are trying to figure out who and what they are in life and manipulate them to make millions of dollars for him by saying they are brothers, he's got their back, they are family, he loves them etc etc, and then, overnight, ghost them and say goodbye in an 11 minute meeting for millions more.

The egotistic BMD's, rapacious Athletic Directors, Media Conglomerates and us, as fans, are equally culpable.
Jack Bauer
gobears20
Staff
BUGWBBear
When Knute Fyucking Rockne hit the scene. Then when Rudy hit the scene. But also when they secured that 5000 year TV contract with NBC.

Kelly has more wins there than any of them. Particularly NBC.
Aliceinbubbleland
Shakesbear said:

The Pirate said it best: " Everyone has lost their minds"!
So true. What are the IRS rules on donations to universities.? They were probably written when money was donated to fund scholarships or Chairs.

I can see both sides. A gift of $100 million to build a athletic complex allows the University to spend funds elsewhere. OTOH does a good faculty get pissed?

I love NCAA football more than anyone in the world but the antics of Riley and Kelly are the sign of an even more ugly future if OU's and ND's get screwed too.
blackie
The idyllic scene of a pleasant afternoon in a small collegiate setting of people milling around among the falling leaves of red and gold, just happening to attend a football game which will only be seen by those attending where the focus of the day is not football, but on everything else about a college experience....education, friendships, budding romances, caring professors, and the dance that night. Football was just an activity no more important than anything else. The player's time was 90% academics and 10% football. A scene that was widely depicted in movies in the 30s.

Now with a deeper investigation, that described above is not really the way it was. Like many things we look back on, it wasn't as idyllic as we would like to think it was. But except perhaps in really small colleges (those no bigger than small high schools), the situation today is the polar opposite of that described above.

Because of money, greed of networks and grown adults basing their perceived worth of themselves being tied to the success of a bunch of college students playing a game, the public perceptions of many universities are based not upon their academic standing and achievements, but on their won-loss record on the football field. If you are not one of the winners, you are a bottom feeder, classified as "lowly", or otherwise relegated to the worthless category. And oh by the way, if you attend that school or are an alumni, you are just as irrelevant in many people's eyes as your losing football team.

That is not how it should be, but it seems the horses are out of the barn. No, the scene described above was probably never the complete picture of life, but it is sad that we have gotten so far off track that we seem to have lost any semblance of sanity concerning what amateur sports should entail, and certainly what the prime emphasis of a university should be about.
boognish_bear
Jack Bauer
Brian Kelly came to Notre Dame from....Cincinnati.
Jack Bauer
boognish_bear said:

They're not ready for CFP - skip over them.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.