Football
Sponsored by

Charlie Brewer...

5,430 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jorkel
Karab
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lost his starting job and left two conference championship teams within a single year.

Just a random thought. I hope he is doing well and finds a good landing spot. I can't imagine how he must feel about his situation.
DST
Should probably aim a little lower if he wants another chance to start, tbh.

There have to be decent teams in the G5 that will need a new QB next season.
BUGWBBear
Should hang 'em up and be a grad assistant.
Stefano DiMera
Speaking of Brewer..in Arandas press conference after the game ..you can find it on you tube..he talked about the struggles last year..and the end ofyear meeting with the seniors..and their families..

He never said Charlie's name..referred to him as 'our quarterback we had last year'... really weird.
Karab
Stefano DiMera said:

Speaking of Brewer..in Arandas press conference after the game ..you can find it on you tube..he talked about the struggles last year..and the end ofyear meeting with the seniors..and their families..

He never said Charlie's name..referred to him as 'our quarterback we had last year'... really weird.

I think he was just trying to avoid name dropping and limit any negativity toward Charlie in front of the media.
Jorkel
He would have been a good 3rd string QB for us this year. Really helped with the development of Drones. Holding the clipboard with the headset on and such
JustWinBears
The whole Brewer situation has been weird to me with how well he played for us for him to fall so far. I feel he needs to retire though, the amount of times he's gotten concussions concerns me greatly for his long term health.
Porteroso
JustWinBears said:

The whole Brewer situation has been weird to me with how well he played for us for him to fall so far. I feel he needs to retire though, the amount of times he's gotten concussions concerns me greatly for his long term health.

For sure. I'm just an outsider, but the decline in his playing the more hits he took was obvious.

Just needs to put it up. He bailed on his new team like the day after they benched him. I don't know what he's chasing, but life is bigger than football.
STxBear81
Lamar needs a QB
BUmoneymaker
I thought Charlie or his doppelganger started on Saturday. Uncanny how much they look alike once the pads are on and the camera zooms in.

Wish Charlie the best
OddFire71
BUmoneymaker said:

I thought Charlie or his doppelganger started on Saturday. Uncanny how much they look alike once the pads are on and the camera zooms in.
Agreed, except the imposter was throwing darts.
BearlySober
Karab said:

Stefano DiMera said:

I think he was just trying to avoid name dropping and limit any negativity toward Charlie in front of the media.
That's what I thought when I heard it as well. When talking about the offensive struggles last year there's no need to mention him by name.
coldhardtruth
We all should be wishing CB the best.

The best, however, is him hanging up his cleats and doing something else that makes him happy.
You best remember me my friend
I am the cold hard truth
-George Jones
Proud 1992 Alum
One of the ESPN writers threw some serious shade at Brewer. Something like his leaving led to 2 conference championships - Baylor and Utah. I chose not to copy and post it because I appreciate what Brewer did for us. I wish he had stayed as a grad assistant.
ImwithBU
JustWinBears said:

He was a bright spot on some ****ty offensive teams that's pretty much it. Stats came from longevity of playing. He played hard and gave it his all but concussions got the beat of him
Pecos 45
Charlie gave it his all, every time he suited up for Baylor.
The number of concussions he suffered (that we know of) have led me to believe it has affected his health.
I understand wanting to still play and go out like a Viking, but someone in his family or trusted inner circle needs to have a face-to-face meeting with him and remind him that sooner or later everyone becomes an ex-football player.
I wish him the best.
No Hater-Ade coming from me.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Stefano DiMera
My flag football team needs a QB..but he has to beat out the incumbent...me ..
bear2be2
ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

He was a bright spot on some ****ty offensive teams that's pretty much it. Stats came from longevity of playing. He played hard and gave it his all but concussions got the beat of him
He's one of two players in program history to quarterback Baylor to 11 wins in a season, and led a ton of late game-winning drives during that campaign.

The revisionist history here of Charlie's career, and the Rhule era in general, is ridiculous.

And Charlie's numbers his sophomore and junior seasons stand on their own just fine. He accomplished a number of things in those two seasons that neither of this year's QBs did.

And as for your "****ty offenses" comment, this year's team is averaging nine more yards and fewer points per game than the 2019 unit did.
BearTruth13
bear2be2 said:

ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

He's one of two players in program history to quarterback Baylor to 11 wins in a season, and led a ton of late game-winning drives during that campaign.

The revisionist history here of Charlie's career, and the Rhule era in general, is ridiculous.

And Charlie's numbers his sophomore and junior seasons stand on their own just fine. He accomplished a number of things in those two seasons that neither of this year's QBs did.

And as for your "****ty offenses" comment, this year's team is averaging nine more yards and three fewer points per game than the 2019 unit did.

That 2019 unit had 2 overtime games to inflate their offensive stats. Without scoring 33 points in overtimes vs Tech and TCU, the offensive stats look a lot worse.
Jorkel
Stefano DiMera said:

My flag football team needs a QB..but he has to beat out the incumbent...me ..

First…How many concussions have you accumulated in your career?
bear2be2
BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

And as for your "****ty offenses" comment, this year's team is averaging nine more yards and three fewer points per game than the 2019 unit did.

That 2019 unit had 2 overtime games to inflate their offensive stats. Without scoring 33 points in overtimes vs Tech and TCU, the offensive stats look a lot worse.
Not a lot worse. We're talking about 13- and 14-game samples here. That's less than three points per game.

Those offenses, like this one, were above average units. Not elite, but very solid, particularly given what we were/are trying to do on defense. They were offenses designed to complement our defense and put us in positions to win tough games late.

And Charlie was exceptionally effective in his role for those teams.

Unfortunately, injuries took their toll on him and he wasn't the same player as a senior that he was before. But that disappointing final season doesn't change what he did in his previous years as a starter.
dstaylor57
Charlie was a gamer and led us to a lot of wins until injuries took their toll. He should have hung it up a year ago to be honest. He doesn't need to prove anything to anyone.
BearTruth13
bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

Not a lot worse. We're talking about 13- and 14-game samples here. That's less than three points per game.

Those offenses, like this one, were above average units. Not elite, but very solid, particularly given what we were/are trying to do on defense. They were offenses designed to complement our defense and put us in positions to win tough games late.

Unfortunately, injuries took their toll on him and he wasn't the same player as a senior that he was before. But that disappointing final season doesn't change what he did in his previous years as a starter.
Charlie was a decent QB those years. Based on most QB rankings (yards, TDs, QB rating) he was 4th or 5th in the Big 12 in most categories most years.

Our offense this year was about as effective as our 2019 offense (literally the same in regulation overall and in the Big 12 in PPG). Kind of to be expected as Gerry is a first year starter and he hasn't even played in 3 games.
bear2be2
BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

Charlie was a decent QB those years. Based on most QB rankings (yards, TDs, QB rating) he was 4th or 5th in the Big 12 in most categories most years.

Our offense this year was about as effective as our 2019 offense (literally the same in regulation overall and in the Big 12 in PPG). Kind of to be expected as Gerry is a first year starter and he hasn't even played in 3 games.
This offense rushes for almost 50 more yards per game than the 2018 and 2019 offenses did and is a much more quarterback-friendly scheme. It's a lot of play action stuff off the running game. Charlie was leaned on far more heavily than Gerry or Shapen have been to make our offense go.

He was a good quarterback, and his record those years reflected that. Why some of y'all have so much trouble acknowledging that is baffling to me.
jdrs
Very grateful for his efforts and being our QB. Sorry that he didn't have success this year. Really think the concussions have taken their toll. You can tell he loves the game and that he always gave his all. Hope he continues to find a way to have fb be a part of his life, but off the field (for his own safety).
BearTruth13
bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

This offense rushes for almost 50 more yards per game than the 2018 and 2019 offenses did and is a much more quarterback-friendly scheme. It's a lot of play action stuff off the running game. Charlie was leaned on far more heavily than Gerry or Shapen have been to make our offense go.

He was a good quarterback, and his record those years reflected that. Why some of y'all have so much trouble acknowledging that is baffling to me.
Again Brewer was a decent QB. His overall record at Baylor as QB was 21-20. He was the 4th or 5th best QB in the Big 12 in 2018 and 2019. Probably 7th or 8th best in 2020. Won't rank him in 2017 because he was a freshman that only really played 4 games.

I just don't put him in the top 3 of all-time Baylor QBs skill wise. Probably top 5.
bear2be2
BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

Again Brewer was a decent QB. His overall record at Baylor as QB was 21-20. He was the 4th or 5th best QB in the Big 12 in 2018 and 2019. Probably 7th or 8th best in 2020. Won't rank him in 2017 because he was a freshman that only really played 4 games.

I just don't put him in the top 3 of all-time Baylor QBs skill wise. Probably top 5.
No one has said he was good his senior year, so his 2-7 record last year is irrelevant to this discussion. We're talking about the period before mounting injuries diminished his abilities.

And from his freshman to junior seasons, he completed 630 of 983 passes (64.1 percent) for 7,742 yards with a 51-to-20 touchdown-to-interception ratio and ran for 885 yards and 18 more touchdowns. Those are better than decent numbers. For the years he played, he ranked 33rd, 55th and 37th in passer rating. That would put him firmly in the top third of all FBS quarterbacks over that time.
Jorkel
bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

No one has said he was good his senior year, so his 2-7 record last year is irrelevant to this discussion. We're talking about the period before mounting injuries diminished his abilities.

And from his freshman to junior seasons, he completed 630 of 983 passes (64.1 percent) for 7,742 yards with a 51-to-20 touchdown-to-interception ratio and ran for 885 yards and 18 more touchdowns. Those are better than decent numbers. For the years he played, he ranked 33rd, 55th and 37th in passer rating. That would put him firmly in the top third of all FBS quarterbacks over that time.

Well you have to include his senior year to get an overall picture of his career.
bear2be2
Jorkel said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

Well you have to include his senior year to get an overall picture of his career.
Not for the discussion we're having here because no one is disputing that he had a poor senior season. Plenty are using that season to repaint his overall career picture.

Charlie wasn't the same player in 2020 and 2021 that he was before, when he was an objectively good college quarterback.
BearTruth13
bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

If we were the 33rd, 55th and 37th ranked football program, you'd say we were a decent program. Charlie was fine. He wasn't elite.

He was probably our 4th or 5th best QB in the last decade. Not trying to trash him. I just think people think he was the second coming of Griffin or something.
bear2be2
BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

If we were the 33rd, 55th and 37th ranked football program, you'd say we were a decent program. Charlie was fine. He wasn't elite.

He was probably our 4th or 5th best QB in the last decade. Not trying to trash him. I just think people think he was the second coming of Griffin or something.
I don't think anyone thinks that. But decent means adequate, and Charlie was better than adequate by virtually every measure. He was a good college quarterback, who until his final season was great with the game on the line. "Decent" doesn't do him or his contributions to our program justice.
RegentCoverup
Proud 1992 Alum said:

One of the ESPN writers threw some serious shade at Brewer. Something like his leaving led to 2 conference championships - Baylor and Utah. I chose not to copy and post it because I appreciate what Brewer did for us. I wish he had stayed as a grad assistant.
Charlie is a good dude. I hope he considers himself a Member of the Baylor organization for life.

All that being said, I roll my eyes when I hear people talk about legacies, bloodlines, and players being guaranteed to be successful because they are from certain programs.

Football is really about power, speed, and toughness and that will never be concentrated in one place for too long.

This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
SIC EM 94
bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

I don't think anyone thinks that. But decent means adequate, and Charlie was better than adequate by virtually every measure. He was a good college quarterback, who until his final season was great with the game on the line. "Decent" doesn't do him or his contributions to our program justice.

There are a handful of posters on here that love to trash Charlie at any opportunity they can get for some
odd reason…they'll never change. Charlie is certainly due some criticism, but his contribution to getting us to a bowl game, Big 12 Championship game, and Sugar Bowl should be appreciated. If they knew Charlie personally, knew how much he loved Baylor, and knew the sacrifices he made to his body for Baylor, I would hope they would gain a different perspective of him.
Aliceinbubbleland
Proud 1992 Alum said:

So typical of ESPN/Finebaum network
dallas4bears
Yes, he was amazing when he was healthy. CB is Baylor familyFirst and Foremost. He deserves respect and appreciation because we relied on his toughness during some of the toughest days. In fact, we rode him into the ground, injuries and all. Nothing but love for that guy and best wishes for whatever he does next.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.