I saw an article on the web about new restaurants etc looking at Waco.

16,988 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by trey3216
cowboycwr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
loanbear said:

PartyBear said:

I thought that was the same exit you have to take to get to Top Golf and movie theater etc? I thought I recall the exit off of 35 to 340 and Central Texas Market place etc. is up just a little ways south from Top Golf etc.
That is correct, but you have to know to exit. You can't see anything at that intersection until you are past the exit. There is a little more to offer there now that Top Golf, Main Event, etc are there, but for a fast food restaurant that is not a destination, visibility and easy access is paramount. In addition, they have the competition of every other fast food concept being 2 exits North of them that will pull most highway traffic off before they get there.

There is a reason Carls Jr went out of business and they could not unload that building for awhile.
That is true for any exit when a person is traveling. They either have to look up on their map on their phone for what is coming up and figure out which exit to take or look at the blue signs on the highway that show what food, hotel, or gas is coming up at which exits.

The days of seeing a sign in time to exit are gone, especially when talking exits in a city. The ones in a small town along an interstate that have maybe 4 signs probably rely more on signs being seen from a distance than people looking up stuff on their phone of when to exit.
Mike E
PartyBear said:

I thought that was the same exit you have to take to get to Top Golf and movie theater etc? I thought I recall the exit off of 35 to 340 and Central Texas Market place etc. is up just a little ways south from Top Golf etc.

There's another exit right after that that is specifically for the theater, top golf, main event. It exits right after the flying j.

You don't have to take the carls jr/IHOP one off of 35.
PartyBear
I thought that was the exit I was talking about that is actually the 340 exit and is just past top golf etc. There isn't an exit between New Road and the 340 exit, if I recall correctly.
Mike E
PartyBear said:

I thought that was the exit I was talking about that is actually the 340 exit and is just past top golf etc. There isn't an exit between New Road and the 340 exit, if I recall correctly.

There is.

There's the one before ihop, then the one before cinemark, and then the one to Central Texas marketplace

Edit: at least thats how I remember it. Maybe I'm wrong. I do know there's one right before ihop and that there's another one right BEFORE cinemark/top golf.

I dont think thats the same one to the marketplace but maybe it is
WacoKelly83
There are only two exits. New Road exit to ihop, QT, Flying J, Harley... The next exit is for Hwy6/loop 340 which feeds new cinema and central tx marketplace.
Mr Tulip
You'd have to exit off I-35, really get on the brakes, and hope traffic on the feeder road let you cut all the way over in order to get to the old Carl's Jr driveway. The restaurant itself is set off the road by a decently long driveway. Usually, at that point, you'd either go to Hooter's or iHOP.

The Waco Emergency Veterinary Clinic is right in front of that set of driveways. It's almost impossible to get there off the highway. You have to use the feeder road, and if you miss it, take a lap.

Executive Summary: The driveway to Carl's Jr is a tough ask for that particular exit.
southtexasbear
I think the new QT entrance before the Carls Jr/IHOP entrance really changes things. Tons of traffic now exits and slows down for that driveway.

I agree with an earlier post that the area is now becoming an intentional exit with more traffic now.
trey3216
WacoKelly83 said:

New seafood restaurant coming. Fish City Grill.

https://wacotrib.com/business/local/mike-copeland-new-seafood-restaurant-gas-prices-valentines-day-spending-tractor-supply-expansion/article_1fe9f526-8ac6-11ec-a837-7b9f9de34fe8.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

A certain famous Waco businessman has a nice ownership piece in Fish City.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
trey3216
WacoKelly83 said:

There are only two exits. New Road exit to ihop, QT, Flying J, Harley... The next exit is for Hwy6/loop 340 which feeds new cinema and central tx marketplace.
If you are an LA driver you can get over there.
cowboycwr
There are 2 exits in that area. I drive past it every day on my way home and am looking at google maps as I type this.

Exit 1 (#331) takes you to the feeder road North of New Road. Immediately after the exit is the Emergency vet. If that was your destination you would have to slam on the brakes and do a sharp right off the exit. Hooters would be next and would give you time to get over. For the old Carl's JR. IHOP, or New Road you have plenty of time to get to the right.

Once through the light you have the Burger King, Denny's/Flying J, Harley and then some distance before the new street into the new shopping center with Top Golf, Cinemark, Main event.

Exit 2 (330B)- this is the one you take if you are going to get onto 6 either direction, the market place, or the Hospital (If you don't want to slam on your brakes and cut across multiple lanes to exit at 330A). This exit is before the Cinemark turn and you have a short distance to get over so it is a hard lane change if there is traffic on the feeder road.

So if you know the area getting off at the first exit might be the easiest exit to have plenty of time to get to your destination including Topgolf/Cinemark.
Mike E
Yes, it's easier because you're getting off a mile early but it's certainly not the intended exit for it. Just like it'd be easier to get on Valley Mills Drive if you take the exit before 333A. I don't think people that know the area would do that there nor would they in this case either.

trey3216
Mike E said:

Yes, it's easier because you're getting off a mile early but it's certainly not the intended exit for it. Just like it'd be easier to get on Valley Mills Drive if you take the exit before 333A. I don't think people that know the area would do that there nor would they in this case either.

I know the area like the back of my hand and only use that exit a)if I'm going on Hwy 6 or b) not going anywhere before Best Buy. Too much traffic, too many people driving like idiots. I'd take new road and turn left into the area where Top Golf/Theater are located
Weston Rogers
trey3216 said:

Mike E said:

I know the area like the back of my hand and only use that exit a)if I'm going on Hwy 6 or b) not going anywhere before Best Buy. Too much traffic, too many people driving like idiots. I'd take new road and turn left into the area where Top Golf/Theater are located
This is correct, that exit for HWY 6/Loop 340 and the outdoor mall shouldn't be used as the feeder into Top Golf/Cinemark area. Hell the double white line off that exit goes until almost the turn in.
Yogi
Just FYI, within the next 10 years, TXDOT is going to completely redesign the entrances and exists along both Interstate 35 and Loop 340, and I imagine those shopping centers will influence the locations of the new ramps.
cowboycwr
Yogi said:

Just FYI, within the next 10 years, TXDOT is going to completely redesign the entrances and exists along both Interstate 35 and Loop 340, and I imagine those shopping centers will influence the locations of the new ramps.
Why? Why not do it when the expanded the road there and rebuilt it all a few years ago? Or is it in response to the growth there?
PartyBear
Time flies but that was completed about 13-14 years ago now. It seems like yesterday to me as well. But it wasn't a few years ago. There is a plan to expand 35 in a few years starting from the southern point of where they are expanding now through Hewitt or Lorena.
Weston Rogers
PartyBear said:

Time flies but that was completed about 13-14 years ago now. It seems like yesterday to me as well. But it wasn't a few years ago. There is a plan to expand 35 in a few years starting from the southern point of where they are expanding now through Hewitt or Lorena.

Hewitt/Lorena construction has been done for at least 3 years now. Basically everything from the Hwy 6/35 interchange south to Georgetown is complete.

As for the remaining work left on 35 through Waco from 12th St south to that interchange there's currently no funding for it. At best they're 6 years away from starting and probably will end up being closer to 10 years.
southtexasbear
Yogi
The expansion of South Waco to Loop 340 is probably 15 years away but ramp realignment is funded and can begin soon.
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

I guess it has been that long. Just doesn't seem like it.

I never get interstate construction. If they just finished expanding it (even 15 years ago) to 3 lanes and now think they need to do it again in the next 5-10 years to 4 they should have just expanded it the first time to 4 lanes then.

I also think that interchange should have been done with multiple flyovers to begin with. I never understood why they only did the two. To me it seems the 35 south to highway 6 badly needed one like the 6 to 35 north. Maybe even one for 35 south to 6 south.
BaylorGuy314
cowboycwr said:

PartyBear said:

I never get interstate construction. If they just finished expanding it (even 15 years ago) to 3 lanes and now think they need to do it again in the next 5-10 years to 4 they should have just expanded it the first time to 4 lanes then.
It's really stupid and I agree with you. I've ranted on this forum about it before. We're spending north of $50MM per mile in the Waco project alone. What would it have cost to go ahead and do 4 lanes? Another $15MM? $20MM?

Because in a generation we'll be paying $100MM per mile to do it again. It's stupid,
cowboycwr
BaylorGuy314 said:

cowboycwr said:

PartyBear said:

It's really stupid and I agree with you. I've ranted on this forum about it before. We're spending north of $50MM per mile in the Waco project alone. What would it have cost to go ahead and do 4 lanes? Another $15MM? $20MM?

Because in a generation we'll be paying $100MM per mile to do it again. It's stupid,

And it is all over the state and all 50 states. They expand the road a few miles at a time just to get to the end and start all over again.

And then it gets more expensive because they have to buy out houses or businesses.

My dad has always joked that it is job security for the construction companies whole families. The kids can start working where their dads and grandfathers left off.
cyberbear
Who's going to work at them?
BellCountyBear
The problem is the labor pool in Waco for food-service. Not exactly top notch.
drahthaar
CorsicanaBear said:

How about a seafood place that is not Red Lobster? As lame as it is, a Landry's next to the Salt Grass would probably do quite well.

Somebody hustle a Sea Island!
4th and Inches
BellCountyBear said:

The problem is the labor pool in Waco for food-service. Not exactly top notch.
thousands of food jobs for hundreds of workers.. every restaurant I have been to in the last few months is hiring
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
lrwells50
BaylorHistory said:

PartyBear said:

P Terry's is looking to expand into Waco.
I like it better than In and Out.
I like almost anything better than In and Out.
PartyBear
Sea Island has not expanded from the SA area I don't think except for San Marcos. I went to a Sea Island about 20 years ago. My memory may be off but I remember it being primarily all fried seafood.

Another SA chain that I think should expand is Cha Cho's.
1outawayBear
I would not go out of my way for p Terry's

Some Austin chains I think could make it in Waco:

Taco deli (already expanded to dfw)

Maudies (better than any Tex mex in Waco by far)

Thunder cloud subs (way better than any sub option in Waco)
SteamedHams
1outawayBear said:

Waco's Asian restaurant offerings are beyond paltry, I would gladly take a few more Thai/Korean/Indian/Sushi places in town. If you like Thai, "Sway" in Austin is just, have mercy. I love Bangkok as much as the next guy in Waco, but I'd kill for that to come into town.
4th and Inches
1outawayBear said:

i find Jersey Mikes enjoyable except for the price..

It should not cost $15 for a sandwich, chips, and drink.

At quick eats, I can get a bacon cheese burger, basket of fries and a 32oz drink for $10
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
4th and Inches
SteamedHams said:

1outawayBear said:

Waco's Asian restaurant offerings are beyond paltry, I would gladly take a few more Thai/Korean/Indian/Sushi places in town. If you like Thai, "Sway" in Austin is just, have mercy. I love Bangkok as much as the next guy in Waco, but I'd kill for that to come into town.
Safron on valley mills drive is good Indian/Pakistani food

East market over by di camplis has a little kitchen inside and a great variety of asian products for home use

Wacos asian food is very weak compared to DFW/Austin area

–Horace

whitetrash
Agreed that there isn't any decent Asian food around here except for a few items at Clay Pot and Happy Wok.

But Austin was the same way when I lived there 30 years ago before it became a west coast Mecca. Back then, I was at a family funeral making small talk with a distant cousin who lived in San Francisco. I complained that there wasn't any decent Chinese food in Austin because all the kitchen help was Mexican. He replied that there wasn't any decent Mexican food in San Francisco because all the kitchen help was Chinese.
Weston Rogers
1outawayBear said:

I'd welcome a Thunder Cloud, but would prefer Great Outdoors to expand south of DFW.
SteamedHams
4th and Inches said:

SteamedHams said:

1outawayBear said:

Safron on valley mills drive is good Indian/Pakistani food

East market over by di camplis has a little kitchen inside and a great variety of asian products for home use

Wacos asian food is very weak compared to DFW/Austin area
I do Saffron 1-2 a month, that place is great (and very authentic as every time I've been there their AC was out and it is sweltering). Their naan is delish also

I think I have put at least two East Market cashiers kids through college, we go there all the time. Also have a ton of absolutely and utterly bizarre Japanese candies that my kids love. Seriously weird stuff but they like it.

Union Hall does have a couple of offerings, in Koko Ramen (w/ Guess Brisket added, super tasty), Blasian Asian (meh) and Curry Up and Wok This Way, except everytime I've tried to eat there they were out of like, half their menu. If you are a Thai place and you are out of Pad Thai by 5:05pm, you are doing something wrong.

I think there is a new Pho place in Hewitt, and McGregor has a half Chinese, half donut shop I've tried to visit but they close up for the day with no real predictable pattern, so, never seen it actually open.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.