Mexican food restaurant

16,293 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BearVerdad
bowdedg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's the opinion on Don Carlos?
trey3216
bowdedg said:

their salsa sucks. It's a lot like Chuy's, watery pico. That's an immediate no go for me
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
CTbruin
bowdedg said:

It's a chain. Very average
FirmBear24
I'm a fan of Casa de Castillo. Good guisada.
forza orsi
Sergio's (long ago Siete Mares) open on Friday and Saturday night on Austin between 6th and 7th. Food is outstanding! Veracruz style seafood. Service is friendly but slow, especially on crowded nights. It's byob. Very much a family operation.

Rufi's Cocina at 25th and Lasker. Michoacan style food. A dive place with amazing food. Menu options you won't find anywhere else. A tiny family run restaurant. Check for hours before you go. Some odd times not open last I checked.

EDIT: Looking back now I see that you wanted good Margaritas. These won't be your places. I was basing my recommendation on the food. These are BYOB places.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Place on 18th and Waco Drive is small, but great food.
Yogi
It's 2022 you can mix anything now and it is perfectly acceptable - just like bewbs and diks....
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
SteamedHams
If you like breakfast burritos, in my opinion, the absolute best game in town is El Norteno, by Highway 6 and 185. The amount of tortillas post duck hunting/fishing at the lake I've consumed from this place could kill a small horse.

T-REX
SteamedHams said:

If you like breakfast burritos, in my opinion, the absolute best game in town is El Norteno, by Highway 6 and 185. The amount of tortillas post duck hunting/fishing at the lake I've consumed from this place could kill a small horse.

mine as well drive to Mexico if going that far out of the way" - Joe Waco probably
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Been going to El; Con for close to 50 yeqrs. Ted started in the little strip mall in Woodway. II would walk acroess the street from Midway jr high on Fridays. Still go to their other locations.

Fuzzys is good for a chain. I go there for sports. Both are owned by a Baylor guy.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

Coke Bear said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Thanks all! Great input, this will give us a good start on our search!
La Fiesta (Corner Valley Mills & Franklin) is pretty good Tex-Mex. I believe they still only allow you to have two margarita's due to alcohol content.

One of the negatives for me is about the place now is that they use to get their chips from Jesse's Tortilla factory (as did other restaurants in the area), but they had a fire while back and La Fiesta has been buying their chips from a different supplier.

Their salsa is hot enough to make my nose run sometimes. Love it.
I used to like LaFi, but their food quality is alarmingly subpar and has been for 10-15 years now.
Agreed. They were one of my favorite places. Then I had about a year stretch where I didn't go and when I went back I noticed two things that have been the same any time I have gone back in the 10-15 year stretch you mentioned.

1. subpar food
2. an awful smell around the bar/restroom area that smells like spoiled milk/ urine on the floor.
cowboycwr
Brian Ethridge said:

Which place are you speaking of? I can think of one right there?

Or are you thinking El Charro Tapatio on 17th and Waco drive?

cowboycwr
Not in the area the OP was asking but I have been several times to Los Cucos by Hillcrest and have really liked it. Not sure I would rate it top in Waco or anything but good food, good service, etc.
WacoKelly83
El Charro Tapatio is on the corner of 17th and Waco Dr. Perhaps this is the place?
Bexar Pitts
WacoKelly83 said:

El Charro Tapatio is on the corner of 17th and Waco Dr. Perhaps this is the place?
That site was an AMOCO in the late 60's..I used to buy 100+ octane premium there. Made a 427 roar!
No Longer Gold
If christina's is your benchmark, anything without the word Cocina, or the first letters of pappa should be absolutely excellent for you….
CObear
Seafood enchiladas at Sergio's may be the best dish in Waco.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Brian Ethridge
Staff
cowboycwr said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Which place are you speaking of? I can think of one right there?

Or are you thinking El Charro Tapatio on 17th and Waco drive?

That's it.
Chris_Roose
Side question that this has made me think about:

Are Lolita's breakfast tacos as good as they were 20 years ago?
Old300Bear
Chris_Roose said:

I didn't live here 20 years ago, but they are dang good!
Fred Barber
PartyBear
Chris_Roose said:

I went recently and was disappointed the tortilla was like a store bought flour tortilla ( and I don't mean like the kind from the bakery at HEB).

As to La fiesta. I have to admit I never understood the attraction. I have not ever thought it was that good actually.

Does anyone remember in the early 80s a Mexican place in a strip center on Lake Air fairly close to VM intersection on the Now Barnes and Noble side of Lake Air). It had a knight in front of it. I assume this was an old El Conquistador location?
FirmBear24
PartyBear said:

Chris_Roose said:

I went recently and was disappointed the tortilla was like a store bought flour tortilla ( and I don't mean like the kind from the bakery at HEB).

As to La fiesta. I have to admit I never understood the attraction. I have not ever thought it was that good actually.

Does anyone remember in the early 80s a Mexican place in a strip center on Lake Air fairly close to VM intersection on the Now Barnes and Noble side of Lake Air). It had a knight in front of it. I assume this was an old El Conquistador location?

Yes, that was the old El Con. Had a great neon sign
CTbruin
El Con was never there.

I think I remember the place you are talking about, but can't recall the name.
Bear_Fan254
Just went yesterday for the first time and by far the best breakfast burrito in Waco is El Norteno. A little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant out past the Twin Bridges over Lake Waco. So cheap and so so good. Homemade tortillas and amazing homemade salsas.
2023 Adopt-A-Bear: TE Drake Dabney #89

2023 Stats: Receptions: 33 Yards: 552 yards TDs: 5 Betrayal: INFINITY
Boernebear
Has anyone tried Bombones yet? Just opened this week at 12th and Washington. Haven't tried it yet, but the reviews so far seem very positive regarding both the food and service.
Twitter: @BoerneBear | #SicEm
No Longer Gold
PartyBear said:

Chris_Roose said:

Was that the old el Colorado?

If so it was great.

And I liked taco loco near campus, on 12th, May even be the where shorty's is now, but that's probably just because they served us as freshmen.
Bexar Pitts
CTbruin said:

El Con was never there.

I think I remember the place you are talking about, but can't recall the name
You're correct, CT. El Con was in strip center on Waco Dr. next door to Ritchies Western Wear. Ted moved across the street to Nick's location after Nick's closed in mid 90's.
CTbruin
Ted moved from Woodway to the strip center across from current location. I believe where Ritchie's is now. And then to current location.

They were never on Lake Air Dr.
Bexar Pitts
CTbruin said:

Ted moved from Woodway to the strip center across from current location. I believe where Ritchie's is now. And then to current location.

They were never on Lake Air Dr.
Yep. I misread the other post! Enjoyed many great meals on Waco Drive with Ted!
CTbruin
I'm there most every Monday evening in the bar area. Please come join me.
Bexar Pitts
May surprise you some Monday evenin'..Appreciate the invite..
BUbearinARK
Those 2:1 dinner casa ole coupons back in the day were a sunday staple. But since I haven't eaten at a casa ole since 93, I can't say I've missed it
BaylorGuy314
Am I the only person in Waco that finds both El Con and Casa de Castillo bland and unappealing? Don't get me wrong - neither are bad. But I've been to both dozens (and dozens) of times over the years and just don't get the appeal.
T-REX
BaylorGuy314 said:

Am I the only person in Waco that finds both El Con and Casa de Castillo bland and unappealing? Don't get me wrong - neither are bad. But I've been to both dozens (and dozens) of times over the years and just don't get the appeal.
yea your the only one who doesn't love El con
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.