Mexican food restaurant

16,254 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BearVerdad
cowboycwr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Weston Rogers said:

cowboycwr said:

IndyYes said:

You could be referring to Trujillo's. Not sure if it is still in operation but it was on the Circle and was a good place for cheap margarita's in the late 80's. I know it was still open about 3 years ago.

It is still open.

The place I was referring to was indeed el Chico. It was next to Texas Roadhouse and when it closed the news article said it was for i35 expansion but no expansion ever happened at that spot.
Expansion on that part of 35(south of 12th to Hwy6/340) is supposed to begin about 5-6 years after current expansion is completed to give the area a break if they can get it funded which it currently isn't... Therefore land in that stretch that is needed was bought by the state before any construction began.
That is the explanation I have heard for years. But it just makes no sense to me. If you look on google maps (or other site with satellite view) you can see where the building was and that the current Texas Roadhouse building and parking lot are closer to 35 than El Chico was. Also, no other land seems to have been bought and cleared and there isn't much extra land there by the other stuff along the 35 part of the circle (Rudy's Magnolia table, etc.) and same for the other side where new construction is STILL going up by the frontage road along Valley Mills.

Or short way of saying it... I don't understand how one specific spot is needed for expansion but all the land further north or south is not needed.
There's a good possibility they make an exit there. And while Roadhouse may be "closer to 35" on the footprint (it is not), it is also further south than Chico by 1 block, so the angle of an exit ramp was taken into account.
Further south by one block???? IT was literally feet away from where Chico was. As in many people that park to go to roadhouse now do so on the old footprint of roadhouse. There is absolutely no room for an exit ramp to go through the old chico footprint unless it unloaded into the middle of the circle.
FirmBear24
cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Weston Rogers said:

cowboycwr said:

IndyYes said:

You could be referring to Trujillo's. Not sure if it is still in operation but it was on the Circle and was a good place for cheap margarita's in the late 80's. I know it was still open about 3 years ago.

It is still open.

The place I was referring to was indeed el Chico. It was next to Texas Roadhouse and when it closed the news article said it was for i35 expansion but no expansion ever happened at that spot.
Expansion on that part of 35(south of 12th to Hwy6/340) is supposed to begin about 5-6 years after current expansion is completed to give the area a break if they can get it funded which it currently isn't... Therefore land in that stretch that is needed was bought by the state before any construction began.
That is the explanation I have heard for years. But it just makes no sense to me. If you look on google maps (or other site with satellite view) you can see where the building was and that the current Texas Roadhouse building and parking lot are closer to 35 than El Chico was. Also, no other land seems to have been bought and cleared and there isn't much extra land there by the other stuff along the 35 part of the circle (Rudy's Magnolia table, etc.) and same for the other side where new construction is STILL going up by the frontage road along Valley Mills.

Or short way of saying it... I don't understand how one specific spot is needed for expansion but all the land further north or south is not needed.
There's a good possibility they make an exit there. And while Roadhouse may be "closer to 35" on the footprint (it is not), it is also further south than Chico by 1 block, so the angle of an exit ramp was taken into account.
Further south by one block???? IT was literally feet away from where Chico was. As in many people that park to go to roadhouse now do so on the old footprint of roadhouse. There is absolutely no room for an exit ramp to go through the old chico footprint unless it unloaded into the middle of the circle.

The bridges and overpass at Valley Mills will likely have to be done. There is already an exit underneath the bridges and overpass that I imagine would be shifted over to accommodate for expansion and new infrastructure
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Weston Rogers said:

cowboycwr said:

IndyYes said:

It is still open.

Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
trey3216
trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Weston Rogers said:

cowboycwr said:

IndyYes said:

It is still open.

Chico was past the end of Roadhouse's main parking lot. That's damn near a waco city block bro. Apparently your memory is bad or your geospatial awareness is bad.
PartyBear
The El Chico building is still on google earth. It appears the El Chico back property line was approximately 400 feet from the Texas Roadhouse front door.
SteamedHams
PartyBear said:

The El Chico building is still on google earth. It appears the El Chico back property line was approximately 400 feet from the Texas Roadhouse front door.
Not sure what Google Earth you're lookin' at, but as of 2019 it's been gone.

2018:

2019:

PartyBear
You are correct. I had the building confused with that smaller building.
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Weston Rogers said:

cowboycwr said:

IndyYes said:

It is still open.

Chico was past the end of Roadhouse's main parking lot. That's damn near a waco city block bro. Apparently your memory is bad or your geospatial awareness is bad.

I don't consider parking lots that touched to be apart by a block.
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Weston Rogers said:

cowboycwr said:

IndyYes said:

It is still open.

I don't consider parking lots that touched to be apart by a block.
the parking lot isn't the building.
4th and Inches
Arguing about El Chico.. which one of yall is Phil Bennett?!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
CTbruin said:

Ted moved from Woodway to the strip center across from current location. I believe where Ritchie's is now. And then to current location.

They were never on Lake Air Dr.
yes They had a nice cabrito dish.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Brian Ethridge said:

Place on 18th and Waco Drive is small, but great food.

Breakfast tacos are legit, though I recommend the regular rather than the weekday special. It's in the list for a stop for dinner.

Went to El Con and it mirrored the discussion here. I loved it, comfy food, husband thought it was meh. We will go back
Localbear
Las Tapatias #2 on Valley Mills has good carne guisada and tortillas. As a plate or tacos. I can't speak for other dishes, but I go when I am in town for the guisada. Guisada quesadilla looking strong too when I check pics

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Place on 18th and Waco Drive is small, but great food.

Breakfast tacos are legit, though I recommend the regular rather than the weekday special. It's in the list for a stop for dinner.

Went to El Con and it mirrored the discussion here. I loved it, comfy food, husband thought it was meh. We will go back

That's it.

Agree on comfort of El Con.
baylor1984
Lolitas was damn good this morning for breakfast.
Dia del DougO
The original La Fiesta was my favorite Tex Mex in the universe until they changed all their great recipes and put in a stupid bar. My heart is still broken over the last experience I had there years ago.

So many cool family owned places in Waco have bitten the dust. At least there are still some great burger joints.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
CTbruin
I went to La Fiesta on Monday. And I agree, it's not as good as it used to be. Food was very average
Nguyen One Soon
CTbruin said:

I went to La Fiesta on Monday. And I agree, it's not as good as it used to be. Food was very average
I last ate at La Fiesta in 1976. I was working nights in Psych and the ER at the old Providence while doing postgraduate work at BU. One night we had the chief cook at La Fiesta come into the ER for treatment. When finished, he pulled out and opened a thick wallet to give the insurance clerk some info. When he did, tiny roaches ran everywhere. We were killing them the rest of the night. (Maybe that is why things tasted so good there back then.)
BUwolverine2012
Localbear said:

Las Tapatias #2 on Valley Mills has good carne guisada and tortillas. As a plate or tacos. I can't speak for other dishes, but I go when I am in town for the guisada. Guisada quesadilla looking strong too when I check pics

carne guisada so good. my local bbq place makes great carne guisada breakfast tacos

id smash that quesadilla
ursamajor
Tried Bombones downtown on 12th this weekend. It was really, really good.
forza orsi
ursamajor said:

I've been wanting to go there for the chiles en nogada. One of my favorite dishes, but I haven't seen it on menus anywhere else in town.
STxBear81
looks like a gordita
UrsinusInfction
ursamajor said:

We went a couple weeks ago. Pretty good and clear they take pride in some unique Mexican dishes.
forza orsi
Went to Bombones in the old Wilkirson Hatch building downtown tonight for the first time. Really tasty stuff. It's definitely not old school Tex-Mex, but more Mex-Mex. A little pricier than standard Waco Mexican fare, but it's not the same menu either. A bolder flavor on lots of stuff. Not necessarily spicier, just more flavorful. We'll definitely be back. The owner is pleasant and really excited about his place, as he should be.

I was hoping to have the chiles en nogada that they mentioned in the Trib last week. No one in town does it that I know. (The last place I saw it in town was La Cabana, which closed in the 90s.) Apparently that was just a weekend special last week. He says they're bringing it back in the fall though, starting in about mid-October. They do specials every week that they put up on their FB page on Thursday.
trey3216
forza orsi said:

Went to Bombones in the old Wilkirson Hatch building downtown tonight for the first time. Really tasty stuff. It's definitely not old school Tex-Mex, but a little more Mex-Mex. A little pricier than standard Waco Mexican fare, but it's not the same menu either. A little bolder flavor on lots of stuff. Not necessarily spicier, just more flavorful. We'll definitely be back. The owner is pleasant and really excited about his place, as he should be.
I need yo get down there
4th and Inches
trey3216 said:

forza orsi said:

Went to Bombones in the old Wilkirson Hatch building downtown tonight for the first time. Really tasty stuff. It's definitely not old school Tex-Mex, but a little more Mex-Mex. A little pricier than standard Waco Mexican fare, but it's not the same menu either. A little bolder flavor on lots of stuff. Not necessarily spicier, just more flavorful. We'll definitely be back. The owner is pleasant and really excited about his place, as he should be.
I need yo get down there
me too, sounds like my kinda place
Coke Bear
forza orsi said:

Went to Bombones in the old Wilkirson Hatch building downtown tonight for the first time.
Back in the day, people were dying to get in there.

In all seriousness, though, I'll have to try the place.
BUbearinARK
forza orsi said:

Went to Bombones in the old Wilkirson Hatch building downtown tonight for the first time. Really tasty stuff. It's definitely not old school Tex-Mex, but more Mex-Mex. A little pricier than standard Waco Mexican fare, but it's not the same menu either. A bolder flavor on lots of stuff. Not necessarily spicier, just more flavorful. We'll definitely be back. The owner is pleasant and really excited about his place, as he should be.

I was hoping to have the chiles en nogada that they mentioned in the Trib last week. No one in town does it that I know. (The last place I saw it in town was La Cabana, which closed in the 90s.) Apparently that was just a weekend special last week. He says they're bringing it back in the fall though, starting in about mid-October. They do specials every week that they put up on their FB page on Thursday.
Ate at Bombones last night. Beef cubes in chili and a relleno. Amazing.

STxBear81
That's looks real good. Have to try that out .
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Hit El Charro in Hillsboro Saturday night. Same family as the one in Waco? But the ribeye was great.

4th and Inches
Brian Ethridge said:

Hit El Charro in Hillsboro Saturday night. Same family as the one in Waco? But the ribeye was great.

been a while since we ate there, had good experiences in the past
FirmBear24
BUbearinARK said:

forza orsi said:

Ate at Bombones last night. Beef cubes in chili and a relleno. Amazing.

Got this dish today. Indeed delicious.
southtexasbear
BUwolverine2012 said:

Localbear said:

carne guisada so good. my local bbq place makes great carne guisada breakfast tacos

id smash that quesadilla

Your dish looked so good I came to try it. soooo good! Thanks for the tip!

Baylor Pride
I need an update for good Mexican or Tex Mex in Waco. My family and I were passing through last Thursday and we stopped at La Fiesta. The food was decent but bland, almost tasted unseasoned. And the sweet corn cake side wasn't as good as I remembered.
Baylor Alum - Class of '99
Grumpy
Someone help me remember: what was the mexican restaurant in a strip center just past the old Target by the mall off Hwy 6 back in the early 90s?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.