Grand Waco Burger Tour

24,535 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by HillCountryRanchingBEAR
Pea Weevil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Five pages of threads already and still no Fuddruckers? Something is amiss here as you have to work hard to get one of them in DFW There is a part time store in Plano off of Hwy 121 that is hit or miss as to whether they will be open or not and the only other option is a trek across Lake Ray Hubbard to Rockwall.

Same yourself the drive as there is a Smashburger in City Line in Richardson or a JC's Burgerhouse in Allen. Also Scottie P's in Allen is surprising good though if you really want a treat get a Marriott Burger at any of their hotels including the Marriott RIchardson Renaissance Hotel just east of Hwy-75 about a mile and half south of the Hwy-161 interchange.

I'm also told that Keller's Hamburgers in Dallas is quite good although I can't provide first hand confirmation: https://www.thrillist.com/eat/dallas/kellers-drive-in-review-drive-in-restaurants

Pea Weevil

Coke Bear
Pea Weevil said:

Five pages of threads already and still no Fuddruckers?
I'm sure that I'll hit them up at some point. At least for me on this tour, I wanted to focus on the local places first. Plus, at close to $70 for me to feed a family of five, I'd rather go to a local Tex-Mex place and enjoy the service.

Hypocritically, last Friday my dad and I stopped in at the Whataburger on Hewitt Dr around 1 PM. The traditionally decorated, "foreign-owned ", Texas-based restaurant was on the back side of their lunch rush. Approximately, a third of the tables were seated with patrons this afternoon. As we waited for our meal, dined, and enjoyed conversation, a steady flow of customers trickled and out of the eatery.

I ordered my usually Sweat and Spicy Combo, sans the mustard. My dad opted for the #1 Whataburger Combo with mustard on both top and bottom and extra onions.

Most of us are aware that YMMV at any given Whataburger location, shift, and/or, cashier.

Consider us lucky, because we were greeted with a very sweet septuagenarian. She patiently and efficiently took our order and ensure that it was correct by reading it back to us.

We paid and made our way to one of the several open and clean booths. As a matter of fact, all the open tables appeared to have been cleaned after their rush.

Normally, I expect to wait, what seems to be an inordinate amount of time, for my meal. This lucky day, our meals arrived promptly, fresh, and hot.

My Sweet and Spicy burger was comprised of an oversized, buttered and toasted bun which tried to contain double patties covering American and Monterey Jack cheese, respectively. The upper-most patty was topped with crispy bacon that was covered with grilled onions resting in the Sweet and Spicy sauce.

My burger did not disappoint. As mentioned, it arrived fresh and hot. The thin patties were juicy. Every bite was sweet and enjoyable. Every now and then, the Spiciness would sneak in a say hello - Even on that last bite. The contrast between the two competing flavors make it my favorite item at Whataburger.

What can one say about the fries. The lightly salted shoestring potatoes were served right out of the fryer. They were enjoyable as always. Nothing special about them. The only disappointment was turning up the box into my mouth to consume the last fry.

All in all, this is most likely the best burger I've had in town. It's not a fair contest considering a) Whataburger is s long-time trust chain, and b) I ordered a burger that's built for flavor, not just a plain cheeseburger.

When asked about my dad's meal, he stated that he really enjoyed it, per usual. He considers Whataburger to be the Gold Standard in town.

A few weeks back, my boss brought me the grossest sounding and looking burger from a local burger business that I've already reviewed. When I get a few minutes, I'll try to summarize that meal.
HillCountryRanchingBEAR
Trying Park street burgers in Gatesville today. Pretty tasty and the price is very good (double meat cheeseburger, large fries and large tea for $11.21 with tax)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.