Grand Waco Burger Tour

24,670 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by HillCountryRanchingBEAR
UrsinusInfction
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Which Slow Rise?
4th and Inches
New place in West by Slavaceks

Smoking Buns Burgers, friend said it was pretty good. He sent this pic

“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
BaylorHistory
4th and Inches said:

New place in West by Slavaceks

Smoking Buns Burgers, friend said it was pretty good. He sent this pic

Damn added
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
BaylorHistory
UrsinusInfction said:

Which Slow Rise?
River
1982Bear
I've had the burger at slow rise Woodway. To say it was average would be an insult to anything average. I like their pizza. I'll never get a burger there again.
baylrballa
I actually think slow rise does a very respectable burger. Which I was not expecting.
SIC EM 94
Pivovar and Magnolia Table both have excellent burgers. Maybe the 2 best in town in my opinion.
BaylorHistory
1982Bear said:

I've had the burger at slow rise Woodway. To say it was average would be an insult to anything average. I like their pizza. I'll never get a burger there again.
I did like it overall, but it being first is no indication of how poor Waco's burger scene is right now. I just haven't hit any of the big names yet.
WacoKelly83
Another restaurant that used to have great burgers was Griff's in China Spring. It's been several years since I've been, however,so I don't know if they still hold up.
1outawayBear
WacoKelly83 said:

Another restaurant that used to have great burgers was Griff's in China Spring. It's been several years since I've been, however,so I don't know if they still hold up.
They did when I lived there 2 years ago
BaylorHistory
WacoKelly83 said:

Only ever tried the CFS, have to get a burger on the list.
Coke Bear
BaylorHistory said:

WacoKelly83 said:

Great chicken fried with all the attitude. I love it.

A few years back my dad and I went to lunch to get their CFS. For those that haven't been there, you order and they give you a ticket number to pick up your food when it's ready.

While my dad and I eagerly anticipated our meal, we listed to the counter lady call out the order numbers.

"Twenty-five. Twenty-five. Twenty-FIVE! I SAID, TWENTY-FIVE!!!"

This guy sheepishly gets up to get his order from the counter with most of the eyes in the place on him.

Needless to say, my dad and I (and the others there) were very attentive to her calling out the numbers.
1outawayBear
Coke Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

WacoKelly83 said:

A few years back my dad and I went to lunch to get their CFS. For those that haven't been there, you order and they give you a ticket number to pick up your food when it's ready.

While my dad and I eagerly anticipated our meal, we listed to the counter lady call out the order numbers.

This guy sheepishly gets up to get his order from the counter with most of the eyes in the place on him.

Needless to say, my dad and I (and the others there) were very attentive to her calling out the numbers.

I wish I remembered her name but she is a bad *****. I love her attitude. I'll never forget my wife's introduction to China spring, she called griffs on a Sunday and she got "lady the kitchens closed on Sunday" and then hung up. We knew then not to call on sundays lol
Jackson Bear
Back in the day Big Daddy's had a great seasoned burger (through the Grilled Sourdough sandwich was to die for). Homestead Heritage has a very good burger and I don't think that has been mentioned. My tops having lived in Waco for 44 out of my 50 years is Kitok's. Have to have that once a month.

Baylor Club is good as well.
1outawayBear
I have really enjoyed getting the oak and Ivy lunch burger once a week.

Here right now.

I always get the cast iron dip with the burger.
4th and Inches
Jackson Bear said:

Back in the day Big Daddy's had a great seasoned burger (through the Grilled Sourdough sandwich was to die for). Homestead Heritage has a very good burger and I don't think that has been mentioned. My tops having lived in Waco for 44 out of my 50 years is Kitok's. Have to have that once a month.

unfortunately, Homestead cafe burned. They are going to rebuild but wont be on the list for a while
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Jackson Bear
4th and Inches said:

Jackson Bear said:

unfortunately, Homestead cafe burned. They are going to rebuild but wont be on the list for a while
They are reopening soon in a temporary facility.
Jackson Bear
1outawayBear said:

Here right now.

I strongly endorse Oak and Ivy for those who have not gone there. It feels like a Dallas Uptown or Park Cities place. Really good quality. You will pay for it, but it is a place Waco has needed.
4th and Inches
Jackson Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Jackson Bear said:

They are reopening soon in a temporary facility.
ah, thats great news!

–Horace

1outawayBear
Jackson Bear said:

1outawayBear said:

Here right now.

I strongly endorse Oak and Ivy for those who have not gone there. It feels like a Dallas Uptown or Park Cities place. Really good quality. You will pay for it, but it is a place Waco has needed.

Yep it's a 20 dollar burger but very good. I work right above it so it's tough to limit myself to going there once a week
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
wow. thats high on the hog
Waco1947
BaylorHistory said:

I'm going to start this up again like I had on Bfans back in the day with a tour of Waco's best alll the way down to just decent burger places. I'll post pics and reviews of each burger. I will warn you though I prefer a Cheeseburger with meat, cheese, and mustard only saving all that healthy stuff for a later date so that will probably influence my results in a way that doesn't match yours. Recommend me some places and I'll visit it and add it to the rankings. I had Cupps #1 in the old thread, but I'll start brand new since I'm sure my tastebuds have changed in the last 5 or 6 years. I plan on having 2 or 3 a week at lunch exclusively but can expand if we get a lot of good options.
"Back in the day" is for me 60 years ago and it was and is Cupps as the best burger in Waco, however btw is Cupps still open?
SSadler
Waco1947 said:

BaylorHistory said:

I'm going to start this up again like I had on Bfans back in the day with a tour of Waco's best alll the way down to just decent burger places. I'll post pics and reviews of each burger. I will warn you though I prefer a Cheeseburger with meat, cheese, and mustard only saving all that healthy stuff for a later date so that will probably influence my results in a way that doesn't match yours. Recommend me some places and I'll visit it and add it to the rankings. I had Cupps #1 in the old thread, but I'll start brand new since I'm sure my tastebuds have changed in the last 5 or 6 years. I plan on having 2 or 3 a week at lunch exclusively but can expand if we get a lot of good options.
"Back in the day" is for me 60 years ago and it was and is Cupps as the best burger in Waco, however btw is Cupps still open?
Yes. Same structure and ambiance.
Waco1947
SSadler said:

Waco1947 said:

BaylorHistory said:

Yes. Same structure and ambiance.
Yes it is.
4th and Inches
Waco1947 said:

BaylorHistory said:

same good burger.. others have caught up to thier level

–Horace

Coyote Bear
1outawayBear said:

Here right now.

Someone told me they don't have cheese for the burger. Is that accurate?
1outawayBear
Coyote Bear said:

1outawayBear said:

Here right now.

Someone told me they don't have cheese for the burger. Is that accurate?

They have both sliced cheddar and American cheese to put on. I've tried both and they are fantastic on it. I do get the bacon jam on the side though!
BaylorHistory
Been a minute since I had a new entry, damn freeze and work schedule. I'll try to hit an actual top end burger place soon and get this thread cooking.

Trust the process
1outawayBear
WacoKelly83 said:

Went to griffs this morning.

Clay Johnston was enjoying a nice breakfast to himself.

Still as nice as he was when I first met him when he was in HS. Great guy to catch up with
BaylorHistory
Hey hey it's burger day

Finally another local old school joint in Tom's. Easily the best burger so far, and I believe it came in 3rd last time.

Current Standings:
1.) Tom's
2.) Slow Rise
3.) Hat Creek
4.) Whizzbangs
5.)
6.)
7.)

Brian Ethridge
Staff
BaylorHistory said:

Had a surprise entry to the list today as I went to Slow Rise with some people to socialize and saw a burger on the menu. Once again this burger won't end up winning, but damn if it isn't in first place until we get a big boy contender on the list like a Cupps or a Dubl-R. This probably isn't a good sign for Hat Creek and Whizzbangs to lose to a pizza place, but I have to be honest.

Current Standings:
1.) Slow Rise
2.) Hat Creek
3.) Whizzbangs
4.)
5.)
6.)
(The pic doesn't do it justice)

Best burger in Dallas was at Adair's many a year.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
1outawayBear said:

Coke Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

WacoKelly83 said:

I wish I remembered her name but she is a bad *****. I love her attitude. I'll never forget my wife's introduction to China spring, she called griffs on a Sunday and she got "lady the kitchens closed on Sunday" and then hung up. We knew then not to call on sundays lol

GeorgesBigO
Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorHistory said:

Had a surprise entry to the list today as I went to Slow Rise with some people to socialize and saw a burger on the menu. Once again this burger won't end up winning, but damn if it isn't in first place until we get a big boy contender on the list like a Cupps or a Dubl-R. This probably isn't a good sign for Hat Creek and Whizzbangs to lose to a pizza place, but I have to be honest.

Current Standings:
1.) Slow Rise
2.) Hat Creek
3.) Whizzbangs
4.)
5.)
6.)

Still excellent to this day
trey3216
Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorHistory said:

Current Standings:
1.) Slow Rise
2.) Hat Creek
3.) Whizzbangs
4.)
5.)
6.)

Yep, and they're still great. Haven't had one there in about 3 years, but it was just as good as it always was.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Bexar Pitts
Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorHistory said:

Current Standings:
1.) Slow Rise
2.) Hat Creek
3.) Whizzbangs
4.)
5.)
6.)

You ain't kiddin'! You're gettin' back into my time now! :-)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.