Grand Waco Burger Tour

24,888 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by HillCountryRanchingBEAR
BUbearinARK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
60R said:

Where can you find a burger with a sour dough bun in Waco?
Maybe?

Plumb-line
The grape does Thursday night burgers with schmaltz's buns.
4th and Inches
BUbearinARK said:

60R said:

Maybe?

while technically correct, no..
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
BUbearinARK
4th and Inches said:

BUbearinARK said:

60R said:

Maybe?

while technically correct, no..
Well, true sourdough takes a fine culture.
BaylorHistory
Plumb-line said:

The grape does Thursday night burgers with schmaltz's buns.

And you leave this vital piece of information for us at 8:30 on Thursday! Now we gotta wait a week!
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
PartyBear
WacoKelly83 said:

Harris Creek Hamburgers. Across from McGregor Airport in the convenience store. Good old-fashioned burgers. Hidden gem.

Are you staying two different places or is there a Hat Creek there now?

Hat Creek has a location out on 84 in front of the Hollywood theater. It is really good. I believe it started as an Austin food truck then went brick and mortar there. The location I mentioned is the only one I know of outside of Austin area.

Edit: lol it's too early. I was reading Hat Creek into your Harris Creek. I endorse Hat Creek though.
Bexar Pitts
WacoKelly83 said:

Harris Creek Hamburgers. Across from McGregor Airport in the convenience store. Good old-fashioned burgers. Hidden gem.
One of the old HEB Wooded Acres coffee group (Now kaput since they took the coffee pot away!) now goes to that Harris Creek store regularly..He swears that their burgers are some of the best he's had locally...I'll have to drive out and taste them....
BaylorGuy314
Not a fan of Hat Creek for their burgers. (Their breakfast burritos are really solid, though.) I have kids that enjoy the playground so have been at least a dozen times. It's expensive and mediocre. I will keep going there because the kids like it but if I'm on a hunt for a burger, it's not in my Top 50.

I can't imagine how bad the Whizzbangs burger you got must've been to let Hat Creek beat it out but Whizzbangs can be inconsistent.

Harris Creek hamburgers are solid, for sure. I lived in Sunwest for about 10 years and would go there a few times a year for a bag of burgers and tater tots when nothing in the home pantry seemed appealing and I didn't want to "drive into town." I don't think they do anything other than a frozen patty thrown on a flattop with a little seasoning but that flattop must have some really good grease baked in because they taste better than you'd think.

4th and Inches
The quick eats store at the corner of macarthur and hillcrest(chevron gas station) used to have a solid hamburger before the reno they just did, but havent been back since reno was complete
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Grumpy
World Cup Cafe patty melt should be on the list.
Grinnin bear
Double Liplocker with cheese, oriental fries, and a cherry coke from Kitok's would be on my short list for my last meal.
Nguyen One Soon
Grinnin bear said:

Double Liplocker with cheese, oriental fries, and a cherry coke from Kitok's would be on my short list for my last meal.
Cut the cheese, add an egg, and I'm in.
Alf
Nguyen One Soon said:

Grinnin bear said:

Cut the cheese, add an egg, and I'm in.

I try to avoid cutting the cheese in confined public spaces
ursamajor
Revival has really good burgers. A little higher priced, but tasty.
thebrandonlamar
It's been 20 plus years, but I remember enjoying the Big Kahuna Burger at Dee's Donuts in Elm Mott.
BUbearinARK
When is the top 10 list from the op going to commence? Hopefully the delay isn't due to food poisoning.
Edmond Bear
BUbearinARK said:

When is the top 10 list from the op going to commence? Hopefully the delay isn't due to food poisoning.

Well, his last post was from Hat Creek soooo......
Bear Doc
Edmond Bear said:

BUbearinARK said:

RIP
BaylorHistory
BUbearinARK said:

I've been having lunch meetings a bit this week. I'm going to attempt a Tom's or Christi's appearance on Friday.
Edmond Bear
BaylorHistory said:

BUbearinARK said:

I've been having lunch meetings a bit this week. I'm going to attempt a Tom's or Christi's appearance on Friday.

Don't mean to pester. We're just excited about your findings.
1outawayBear
Bear Doc said:

Edmond Bear said:

BUbearinARK said:

RIP

Lol I am not a fan of their burgers but their breakfast tacos are pretty good IMO. Not great by austin or Dallas breakfast taco standards but good for Waco.
BaylorHistory
1outawayBear said:

Bear Doc said:

Edmond Bear said:

BUbearinARK said:

RIP

Lol I am not a fan of their burgers but their breakfast tacos are pretty good IMO. Not great by austin or Dallas breakfast taco standards but good for Waco.

If in Waco and it ain't a Monday then Lolita's Elefante is really the only choice.
BaylorHistory
Edmond Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

BUbearinARK said:

I'm ready to get back after it too
1outawayBear
BaylorHistory said:

1outawayBear said:

Bear Doc said:

Edmond Bear said:

BUbearinARK said:

RIP

If in Waco and it ain't a Monday then Lolita's Elefante is really the only choice.

I have had it and tried it 5+ times. Not a fan at all. I used to live fairly close and tried it often thinking it must've been a bad time and to give it another chance
BaylorHistory
1outawayBear said:

BaylorHistory said:

1outawayBear said:

Bear Doc said:

Edmond Bear said:

BUbearinARK said:

RIP

I have had it and tried it 5+ times. Not a fan at all. I used to live fairly close and tried it often thinking it must've been a bad time and to give it another chance
Oh man, it's quite possible that we can't be friends. There's a chance to redeem yourself though...how do you feel about coffee and a glass of port with dessert at fine dining establishments?
Mr Tulip
BaylorHistory said:

1outawayBear said:

BaylorHistory said:

1outawayBear said:

Bear Doc said:

Edmond Bear said:

BUbearinARK said:

RIP

Oh man, it's quite possible that we can't be friends. There's a chance to redeem yourself though...how do you feel about coffee and a glass of port with dessert at fine dining establishments?
You can have my coffee. I'll double up on the port.
Lolita's is certainly a treasure. I'll offer Leal's breakfast burritos in contest.
Bear Doc
With it being Friday, I just remembered Helberg's Big Kahuna burger.... If it is not on the list, it should be....
BaylorGuy314
Has anyone tried Billy Bobs Burgers in downtown? They are opening one in Hewitt in the recently closed BBQ restaurant. I've heard really good things but havent ever been.
Bear Doc
BaylorGuy314 said:

Has anyone tried Billy Bobs Burgers in downtown? They are opening one in Hewitt in the recently closed BBQ restaurant. I've heard really good things but havent ever been.
They are decent. Their location was just kind of awkward during all that UP construction.

Hope they do well on Hewitt Drive. I seldom want to go down that far in to the heart of darkness coming from Woodway.
Edmond Bear
BaylorHistory said:

Edmond Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

BUbearinARK said:

It's been two days and no review. My gawd man where's your priorities?
BaylorHistory
Edmond Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

Edmond Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

BUbearinARK said:

It's been two days and no review. My gawd man where's your priorities?

Arbeit macht frei was a lie in the 30s/40s and it's still a lie today.
loanbear
BaylorGuy314 said:

Eaten there quite a few times. Good burger. I would eat there or twisted root if I was after a burger in Waco.
BaylorHistory
Had a surprise entry to the list today as I went to Slow Rise with some people to socialize and saw a burger on the menu. Once again this burger won't end up winning, but damn if it isn't in first place until we get a big boy contender on the list like a Cupps or a Dubl-R. This probably isn't a good sign for Hat Creek and Whizzbangs to lose to a pizza place, but I have to be honest.

Current Standings:
1.) Slow Rise
2.) Hat Creek
3.) Whizzbangs
4.)
5.)
6.)
(The pic doesn't do it justice)
Edmond Bear

HEEEEEE'S BACK!

Grinnin bear
I had a Double Liplocker with cheese and Oriental Fries with a Dr Pepper on Thursday at Kitok's.

Service was terrible, but the burger and oriental fries was as good as ever.

Man, I love that place.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.