Somgwriters

2,176 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jdub_316
joseywales
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waco seems to be a barren desert for songwriters, I am a member of a songwriter group in Austin, however would love to find some community here in waco to do song circles, Co-write or just in general learn from others by sharing expertise ,experiences etc. Anyone know pf such folks that might be interested.
BearConvert
Chris Wommack, the former music minister at Woodway Baptist, was part of some writing groups in Nashville. You might try to make contact with him. You could prob call the church office and have them give him your contact info.
WacoKelly83
https://texasmusiccafe.com/

They have a songwriter's circle that gets together every Thursday. Might want to check them out
CammoTX
Wade Bowen is from Waco and can write a decent tune. Billy Joe Shaver (Corsicana and then Waco) was an all time great. Willie was from Abbott.

joseywales
Where are they located?
WacoKelly83
Texas Music Cafe

715 Washington Ave

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KU7VY7wZAFAJCMzEA
joseywales
Thx
SteamedHams
BearConvert said:

Chris Wommack, the former music minister at Woodway Baptist, was part of some writing groups in Nashville. You might try to make contact with him. You could prob call the church office and have them give him your contact info.

And you could not find a nicer guy. And he wears his own custom "WOMBO" weight belt at the SLC. I admire that sort of pizazz.
joseywales
I know Chris and have worked with him the past some. Super nice guy
toughbear
Wonder which Waco/ Baylor girl co wrote- Heart Like A Truck?
OsoCoreyell
I grew up in Austin, playing in bands since I was 14. If you wanted some play in Austin, you pretty much had to be in a band in high school. We were really competitive back then. Nobody wanted anyone listening to them write or trying new licks. Heck, I remember watching Jimmy Vaughan bust into Antones and storm the stage to beat his little brother Stevie's ass because he heard he was playin' his licks. We were a community, but more like the NFL. There was nothing better than to open for someone and just smoke their butts.

Good times. Liberty Lunch. Hula Hut. Boat Town. The Lumber Yard. Oak Door. Maggie Mae's, Ski Shores. I remember getting chased around the stage at AquaFest when our band of 17 year olds sneaked onto stage and played 2 songs using Joe "King" Carasco's setup, including "Double Life" by the Cars. We were clearly better than they were. They were irate!
baylorfan35
Wow I remember seeing him in this weight belt in the SLC forever ago as an undergrad and wondered what the Wombo story was.
toughbear
Kosbear93

beerman
Not a Waco native, but, Baylor grad Jim Beavers is a big-time player in the industry. 9 number ones (Tony Keith, Dierks, Stapleton, McGraw…..) current Chair of the CMA and a very entertaining guy.
jdub_316
beerman said:

Not a Waco native, but, Baylor grad Jim Beavers is a big-time player in the industry. 9 number ones (Tony Keith, Dierks, Stapleton, McGraw…..) current Chair of the CMA and a very entertaining guy.
His brother Brett Beavers has had an amazing career. Brett went to Nashville with Deryl Dodd and Greg Mangum. Deryl's back on the Texas/Red Dirt music scene, and Greg is a studio musician drummer in Nashville. Their band used to play Bill Bill's and the Melody Ranch all of the time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.