Best Pizza?

9,886 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 91 Bear
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Wacoan magazine lists the top 3 Pizzas in Waco from:
1) Poppa Rollo's
2) Moroso
3) Slow Rise

Is that right? Outside of nostalgia, is Poppa Rollo's that good?
falconbear
Poppa Rollo's was the best at sending me straight to the pot as soon as I got home.

Greasy, greasy stuff.
loanbear
Edmond Bear said:

The Wacoan magazine lists the top 3 Pizzas in Waco from:
1) Poppa Rollo's
2) Moroso
3) Slow Rise

Is that right? Outside of nostalgia, is Poppa Rollo's that good?

That list is out with Rollos as number one. That is a terrible take.
forza orsi
Moroso's pizza is excellent. Wood fired, more traditional Neapolitan style.
Di Campli does a very nice pizza too, true Italian style. I don't get it much there though because there are so many other good things on the menu. Moroso is mostly a pizzeria, so fewer things to distract me from the pizza.

In my mind those two set themselves apart from the others. That said, I still enjoy the occasional Poppa Rollo pizza, but it is a different thing entirely. Not authentic Italian pizza, but it's darn good comfort food when the mood strikes. It doesn't compare to the other two above for true quality and authenticity, but every now and then Poppa Rollo is a guilty pleasure. And, yeah, it's probably mostly nostalgia. I ate at Poppa Rollo's when I was at Baylor in the 70s.
boxster
falconbear said:

Poppa Rollo's was the best at sending me straight to the pot as soon as I got home.

Greasy, greasy stuff.
Poppa Rollo's is my favorite.

Greasy? You must've hacked off the cook or something.
Edmond Bear
boxster said:

falconbear said:

Greasy, greasy stuff.
Poppa Rollo's is my favorite.

Greasy? You must've hacked off the cook or something.

Maybe that's not grease.
Edmond Bear

I'm kind of a foodie. Not major but enough.

I gotta say that splitting a Poppa Rollo's Works pizza with my wife, a side salad pulled straight from the fridge, and a small pitcher of Miller Light back in the secret bar area is one of my favorite meals on earth. That's how big a deal nostalgia is.
BaylorGuy314
Add Shortys and DiCamplis and those are the best 5 pizzas in Waco.
Localbear
I grew up at Poppa Rollos. My step-dad took me once and sometimes twice a week for almost 3 straight years so he could drink at the bar in the back. I ate those personal hamburger and mushroom pizzas with ranch like there was no tomorrow. After over 30 years I went back for a family event in one of their party rooms. No longer a kid that had only had Poopa Rollos or Little Cesar's, I can confidently say that Poppa Rollos sucks.

I would pick Mod all day long over Poppa Rollos. I plan on trying other places when I officially move back to Waco, but for now I would say a Shorty's pillow and a custom Mod finished with balsamic fig are leading for me
baylrballa
lol poppa rollos

Morosos is head and shoulders above anything in town.
Dicamplis is next.
Slowrise isn't bad, but they are getting more inconsistent at least at woodway location.

I'd rather have papa johns before poppa rollos.
SSadler
No Cici's ?

BaylorHistory
Poppa Rollos is my personal favorite as I'm a huge fan of the cracker crust and think it's a unique pizza and I haven't tasted anything similar elsewhere. Slow Rise and Shorty's make a decent slice and Moroso's and DiCampli's do what they do in a more traditional sense really well.

It's really hard to compare 3 so radically different styles, but those would be my top 5 pizza places in town.

hmmmm, maybe I'll have to do a pizza eat along thread after I make it through the hamburger thread by 2034.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
SteamedHams
Alright. I'm ready to throw my unpopular opinion in the ring. Here we go.

The Marco's Pizza at Woodway Dr and 84.

2-large, one topping pizzas, $19.46

Best pizza option in Waco.

Come @ me bros.

Don't care.
BaylorHistory
SteamedHams said:

2-large, one topping pizzas, $19.46

Best pizza option in Waco.

Come @ me bros.

Don't care.

Wife likes their sandwiches a ton so we get the pizza from time to time. I'm not a huge fan but it can beat it's competition like Domino's or Pizza Hut.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Eleven-League Grant
SteamedHams said:

I agree that Marco's makes a very good pie, but I find that over the past year or so, the quality at the Woodway store has been inconsistent between visits, unlike in prior years when the local franchisee (Bob Mock) practically lived there and made sure everything was 'by the book' or better (usually better).

Mock now has three other McLennan County locations, so I imagine he can't run things as tightly as he would like to. BTW, he's a long-time pizza guy, having previously been associated with another pizza company.

He's also quite generous with his local sponsorships, but I realize that has nothing to do with whether his pizza is the 'best' in town.

EDIT -- I'll add this about 'consistency' at local restaurants. Since the pandemic, this has been a problem in most (but not all) restaurants. The revolving door that is restaurant staffing in past years seems now to be spinning like an out-of-control lathe. I can't imagine being a middle manager in a fast food or casual dining restaurant right now. That has to be a very, very stressful job, I'd think.
Grumpy
I also enjoy Luigi's in Woodway, and - while I haven't been in awhile - Rosati's used to be good (and maybe still are decent).
boykin_spaniel
Shortys is my pizza spot when I'm in town. Good solid pizza with cheap pitchers of beer and can then walk over to the Dancing Bear for a pint after.
Had Papa Rollos once in college and never went back. Get that it's a staple and glad they still have business but not my kinda pie.

And to the comment above about turnover post Covid. I'm tight with a hotel manager and he's frequently working the desk and bussing tables in the restaurant. Another manager was literally sent to another city to be a waiter at the hotel restaurant while they try and recruit more staff.
Space53
Marco's in Robinson is the best. Medium all meat pizza.
Coke Bear
Eleven-League Grant said:

I agree that Marco's makes a very good pie, but I find that over the past year or so, the quality at the Woodway store has been inconsistent between visits, unlike in prior years when the local franchisee (Bob Mock) practically lived there and made sure everything was 'by the book' or better (usually better).

Mock now has three other McLennan County locations, so I imagine he can't run things as tightly as he would like to. BTW, he's a long-time pizza guy, having previously been associated with another pizza company.

He's also quite generous with his local sponsorships, but I realize that has nothing to do with whether his pizza is the 'best' in town.

EDIT -- I'll add this about 'consistency' at local restaurants. Since the pandemic, this has been a problem in most (but not all) restaurants. The revolving door that is restaurant staffing in past years seems now to be spinning like an out-of-control lathe. I can't imagine being a middle manager in a fast food or casual dining restaurant right now. That has to be a very, very stressful job, I'd think.
I'm a solid Marco's fan. I really like their sauce. I've switched to the new one in Hewitt. They seem to care a little more than the Woodway location.

Agree with you about Bob Mock. I used to ride with him in the same Tri-group. I agree with you about his generosity. He's a great guy. I have no problem giving my money to him for pie.

SteamedHams
Marco's with the Roma seasoning on the crust, and a garlic butter dipping cup…man. Call me a simpleton but that's a mighty tasty setup.
Dubblcans
Slowrise has gone to **** both locations
SteamedHams
Mr. Meeseeks said:

Slowrise is good when you have a group of 20+. I think 90% of all McLennan County's kid's sports post-season parties take place there.
Dubblcans
SteamedHams said:

Mr. Meeseeks said:

Slowrise is good when you have a group of 20+. I think 90% of all McLennan County's kid's sports post-season parties take place there.
Last time we went they were out of 50% of the appetizers, drink machine was broken, place was dirty, pizza was mid
Bear Doc
Pignetti's was supposed to have a pizza oven and serve pizzas, but they have been open several months now and I guess they are still having technical issues with their oven. I think they likely will put out a fine pizza when available....
SteamedHams
Bear Doc said:

Pignetti's was supposed to have a pizza oven and serve pizzas, but they have been open several months now and I guess they are still having technical issues with their oven. I think they likely will put out a fine pizza when available....
We've been twice (once by choice, another because it was a birthday party) and both of our Pignetti's experiences in town were absolutely terrible. Their Temple location is great, never had a problem there.
baylrballa
Bear Doc said:

hopefully, their food and service was very disappointing when we went.

probably try again in a few month to see if things were just getting ironed out.
Bear Doc
baylrballa said:

Bear Doc said:

hopefully, their food and service was very disappointing when we went.

probably try again in a few month to see if things were just getting ironed out.
Interesting experiences. We had to wait a while for our food both times, but the food was decent. I still prefer DiCamplis though truth be told....
cowboycwr
That list is very flawed. No way Papa Rollos is number 1. Not even top 5 or 10. I have never had Moroso so can't comment there

I would put places like Mod, BJ Brewhouse, slow rise, The Village pizzeria (union hall), Rosati's, Old Chicago, Shorty's, or even a few others that just have pizza on the menu but aren't a pizza place before PR.

Edit: I have also heard that Chucks Pizza out on Lake shore is good, as well as Hunt brothers (don't remember where they are) and a pizza food truck (don't remember the name).

I could see how some could say Marcos as well. I have only eaten it once but it seemed really good.

Another place I liked but closed was one where you had to cook it at home but it was really good. It was on Hewitt Dr right across from HEB. I think it was called Murphy's pizza or Papa Murphy's but I really liked it and thought it was good.
Bear Doc
The Village Pizzeria in Union Hall beats Slow Rise by miles... And their cauliflower crust (keto problems) is the best in town....
Localbear
I am thinking maybe I should open a pizza place when I move to Waco as a side business because what I am seeing from this thread is there is no clear winner and mostly a bunch of just oks
SteamedHams
Worst pizza?

Penland
Bear Doc
SteamedHams said:

Worst pizza?

Penland
You have never been to Chuck E. Cheese then...
Illinois Bear
Localbear said:

I am thinking maybe I should open a pizza place when I move to Waco as a side business because what I am seeing from this thread is there is no clear winner and mostly a bunch of just oks

Waco needs a Via 313. Place would kill.
SteamedHams
Bear Doc said:

SteamedHams said:

Worst pizza?

Penland
You have never been to Chuck E. Cheese then...
I assumed they both sourced their pizzas from the same wet market in Wuhan
forza orsi
SteamedHams said:

Bear Doc said:

We've been twice (once by choice, another because it was a birthday party) and both of our Pignetti's experiences in town were absolutely terrible. Their Temple location is great, never had a problem there.

Same here. We have always liked the Temple one. We tried the Waco one a month ago. Service was atrocious. Only half full, but it took15 minutes for water and to be asked about drinks, and we ordered a nice bottle of wine. The waitress explained the menu and mentioned their main courses which she referred to as "entries." Didn't really know anything about any of them. She returned and said they were working on the wine, but took our order for appetizers, salads and entrees. Salads came first for some reason, then when we were half done they brought the appetizers. Then the entrees came and after 3 requests, the wine that we ordered before we ordered anything else finally came! To top it off, not one but two trays were dropped in the dining room, with loud noise, a mess and general chaos, followed by one of the wait staff giving us a commentary on the mess, about which I had no interest at all. For a nice restaurant it was probably the least professional staff I have ever been around.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.