North Bosque River really rolling in Clifton..

5,491 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Grumpy
Grumpy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You may have me mixed up with someone else, Fat Daddy. I'm in the Waco area.
Fat Daddy
Apparently so, sorry!
There was a previous grumpy…. Can't recall if it was son the old site or this site! Haven't seen him post in a long time so he may have dropped or never joined. But this reminds me I need to call him… haven't talked to him in a few months!
baylrballa
Basically full again. Crazy
Bexar Pitts
baylrballa said:

Basically full again. Crazy
BINGO! It's been so long since they've had to release water....wonder if "flood gates" still work? :-)

BaylorGuy314
Went from 12' down (almost) to 2'+ into the flood pool in less than a week and 7'+ of that was in about 36 hours.

That said, it's a true blessing. We've needed the rain and needed the lake full. If we can keep it full into spring, we will be in good shape for at least another 18 months.

I'm hopefully the Corp votes to increase the capacity. We are getting into a little bit too much of a feast/famine cycle with water reserves. Drawing it down too fast under normal operations. Maybe I'm misremembering or maybe it was just mismanagement but it basically went from 100% to <60% pool in under 12 months which was far faster than I recall before. While it was an unseasonably dry time, I do believe we will see that more and as we put more straws in the pool, we are simply going to need a bigger cup so that we don't put the lake and ourselves in precarious position.

trey3216
BaylorGuy314 said:

Went from 12' down (almost) to 2'+ into the flood pool in less than a week and 7'+ of that was in about 36 hours.

That said, it's a true blessing. We've needed the rain and needed the lake full. If we can keep it full into spring, we will be in good shape for at least another 18 months.

I'm hopefully the Corp votes to increase the capacity. We are getting into a little bit too much of a feast/famine cycle with water reserves. Drawing it down too fast under normal operations. Maybe I'm misremembering or maybe it was just mismanagement but it basically went from 100% to <60% pool in under 12 months which was far faster than I recall before. While it was an unseasonably dry time, I do believe we will see that more and as we put more straws in the pool, we are simply going to need a bigger cup so that we don't put the lake and ourselves in precarious position.

we had a terribly dry winter last year as well, which really hurt coming off last summer and leading into this summer. Winter of '21/22 wasn't that wet either. 2 straight years of dry winter and horribly hot summer hurts.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
whitetrash
Fat Daddy said:

Now only 3.96 below flood pool…. Started the week about 12 feet below! And the lake is still rising!!!
Basically, it was a real life final scene of O Brother Where Art Thou?

Old300Bear
One thing I don't get is why Texas is not developing new reservoirs. We know that Texas is projected to experience big growth in the next 20 years. Where will the drinking water come from. The underground water is pretty depleted.
Funky Town Bear
Old300Bear said:

One thing I don't get is why Texas is not developing new reservoirs. We know that Texas is projected to experience big growth in the next 20 years. Where will the drinking water come from. The underground water is pretty depleted.
Bois D'Arc lake is about to help supply Denton and Collin Counties with water. Located in Fannin County. Cost $1.6B.

https://boisdarclake.org/

Lake Ralph Hall is also in Fannin County and is expected to be online by 2026.

Property rights are a sacred thing here. It's not as straightforward as it might seem.
Fat Daddy
Funky Town Bear said:

Old300Bear said:

Bois D'Arc lake is about to help supply Denton and Collin Counties with water. Located in Fannin County. Cost $1.6B.

Property rights are a sacred thing here. It's not as straightforward as it might seem.

Impressive that it only took 20 years from the "planning and processing" stage to now! How many years were dedicated to the new lake prior to the "planning and processing" stage to get it to that point.

I have always thought the whole deal was around 30 - 40 years from serious thought to finished product.

When is the best time to start construction on a new lake?
20 years ago!
When is the second best time?
Today!
Funky Town Bear
Fat Daddy said:

Funky Town Bear said:

Old300Bear said:

Impressive that it only took 20 years from the "planning and processing" stage to now! How many years were dedicated to the new lake prior to the "planning and processing" stage to get it to that point.

I have always thought the whole deal was around 30 - 40 years from serious thought to finished product.

20 years ago!
Today!
I don't know on the prior to planning and processing. I do know that Bois D'Arc is the first new reservoir to come on line in over 30 years.
RightRevBear
I think for long-term we might need to look at desalination plants along the coast. This will allow us to supply the growing cities along the coast and retain more water upstream. They are expensive though. There will come a time that we will start out drinking the reasonably capturable water that we have.
SteamedHams
RightRevBear said:

I think for long-term we might need to look at desalination plants along the coast. This will allow us to supply the growing cities along the coast and retain more water upstream. They are expensive though. There will come a time that we will start out drinking the reasonably capturable water that we have.

I don't think "expensive" even begins to cover it. The true cost for desal is absolutely insane. The inefficiency of the process combined with the waste/brine left over, we will need some serious technological breakthrough to make that sustainable.

But whenever that DOES happen, what a glorious day it will be. Probably not in my lifetime though.
Big12Bear
Funky Town Bear said:

Fat Daddy said:

Funky Town Bear said:

Old300Bear said:

20 years ago!
Today!
I don't know on the prior to planning and processing. I do know that Bois D'Arc is the first new reservoir to come on line in over 30 years.
Yep, Richland Chambers was the last significant one I can think of.
trey3216
Old300Bear said:

Biggest problem right now is having to pay the $$ due for all the property, even with eminent domain
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
bularry
Old300Bear said:

weren't most of the old ones blocked up rivers? no more rivers to damn up, it would seem.
Grumpy
Texas has actually relied on their neighbor to the north for a significant amount of water supply. Oklahoma has bountiful man-made lakes (esp given its smaller population). Other than people, Oklahoma has imported more water than any other item to Texas. However, Texas will need far more from elsewhere in the years to come.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.