Baylor Not Renewing Contract with Aramark

8,352 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Pecos 45
SteamedHams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is niche inside-Baylor content that might interest exactly two people here, but looks like Baylor is breaking with a longstanding tradition of Aramark for everything.

Baylor Faculty and Staff:

As you may be aware, Baylor University has for many years functioned in a combined multi-services relationship with Aramark for Facilities, Dining, Custodial and other campus services. And, the University greatly appreciates the years of dedication of Aramark and its employees to serving the campus community. Following is an update on the status of that agreement relative to the University's overall contract evaluation process.

Baylor's single source approach for certain campus services has been under consideration for some time, and based on a range of feedback, the University issued requests for proposals for separate vendors for the new contract cycle. This multi-contract approach should allow for a more focused and customizable delivery of campus services such as building maintenance, custodial, utilities, landscaping, dining and more.

First and foremost, it is important to understand that the final decisions have not been made for the Facilities services contracts. However, in alignment with the timeline for the Facilities contracts review process, on last Friday, November 17 Aramark was informed it would not be a finalist for consideration in this cycle. (NOTE: Dining services contract proposals are being evaluated through a separate process that is ongoing and that still includes Aramark.)

Although this is an important development in future operations for Baylor Facilities, the current Aramark agreement remains effective until June 2024, and Baylor and Aramark will continue to work cooperatively under the current agreement. Furthermore, and to foster productive relationships into the future, the University included parameters in its requests for proposals that required all potential vendors to outline how they will approach the retention of current Aramark employees, proposed work-hour structures and fair market compensation.

Baylor is thankful to Aramark for its years of support, and the University will provide additional updates as appropriate in the months to come for both Facilities and Dining services.
hodedofome
Can we also get rid of Pepsi junk on campus while we're at it.
Fat Daddy
Seems they could possibly continue to provide dining services…
atomicblast
SteamedHams said:

This is niche inside-Baylor content that might interest exactly two people here, but looks like Baylor is breaking with a longstanding tradition of Aramark for everything.

As you may be aware, Baylor University has for many years functioned in a combined multi-services relationship with Aramark for Facilities, Dining, Custodial and other campus services. And, the University greatly appreciates the years of dedication of Aramark and its employees to serving the campus community. Following is an update on the status of that agreement relative to the University's overall contract evaluation process.

Baylor's single source approach for certain campus services has been under consideration for some time, and based on a range of feedback, the University issued requests for proposals for separate vendors for the new contract cycle. This multi-contract approach should allow for a more focused and customizable delivery of campus services such as building maintenance, custodial, utilities, landscaping, dining and more.

First and foremost, it is important to understand that the final decisions have not been made for the Facilities services contracts. However, in alignment with the timeline for the Facilities contracts review process, on last Friday, November 17 Aramark was informed it would not be a finalist for consideration in this cycle. (NOTE: Dining services contract proposals are being evaluated through a separate process that is ongoing and that still includes Aramark.)

Although this is an important development in future operations for Baylor Facilities, the current Aramark agreement remains effective until June 2024, and Baylor and Aramark will continue to work cooperatively under the current agreement. Furthermore, and to foster productive relationships into the future, the University included parameters in its requests for proposals that required all potential vendors to outline how they will approach the retention of current Aramark employees, proposed work-hour structures and fair market compensation.

Baylor is thankful to Aramark for its years of support, and the University will provide additional updates as appropriate in the months to come for both Facilities and Dining services.

Sheesh Baylor was using Aramark back when I was on campus ten years ago. Wonder if the prices per services reached a tipping point to split contracts.
PartyBear
atomicblast said:

SteamedHams said:

Sheesh Baylor was using Aramark back when I was on campus ten years ago. Wonder if the prices per services reached a tipping point to split contracts.

I'm pretty sure they were as far back as the early 80s.
BUbearinARK
atomicblast said:

SteamedHams said:

I have the receipts
TenBears
hodedofome said:

This. I will go to my deathbed trying to understand why Pepsi even exists.
Stranger
TenBears said:

hodedofome said:

I haven't drank one since I was at Baylor in the sixties
I'm a Bearbacker
Calrocks94
The reason we got Pepsi is so we can have Gatorade for the athletes
FrankFallonCalling
I don't know if this was the primary motivation, but it was definitely welcomed on the athletics side.

I wonder if it has to be an all-university deal.
Bexar Pitts
Stranger said:

TenBears said:

hodedofome said:

I haven't drank one since I was at Baylor in the sixties
Stranger, you must not have eaten at the Olympia Grill...served by Belushi, Aykroyd, and Murray! "Cheeburger, Cheeburger..Chips...No Coke..Pepsi, Pepsi!"
Stranger
Calrocks94 said:

The reason we got Pepsi is so we can have Gatorade for the athletes

bad trade
I'm a Bearbacker
Eleven-League Grant
hodedofome said:

Funny thing, my Northern friends prefer Pepsi.

My Southern friends don't.

Both drinks started out in the South, though -- Pepsi in North Carolina and Coke in Georgia.

I was a supplier to both Pepsi and Coke for over 3 decades, with Pepsi actually being a slightly better customer. To show my appreciation, I would make a conscious effort to buy Pepsi products at least some of the time. Their cola formulation was not my favorite, so I would buy Mountain Dew instead, which tasted pretty good, but the high caffeine count in that stuff would limit my intake to just one or two lest my head start swimming.

Throughout the years I would remark to my wife that I sure wish Pepsi would introduce a Coke 'clone' and call it 'Pepsi Sharp' or something similar. I mean, look at their vending machines -- they've got space for 15,000 flavor variations of Mountain Dew, so it wouldn't crowd their product line.

As far as cloning Coke -- I mean, if Coke didn't have a problem with ripping off Dr Pepper with Mr Pibb, why couldn't Pepsi do the same with Coke? No, I'm not advocating for them to change the Pepsi formulation, as obviously, some people prefer it. But, if they had a clone available, maybe they wouldn't hear groans when customers are told, 'No Coke, Just Pepsi'. All I can figure is that it is corporate pride.

And besides, when New Coke was introduced back in the '80's, they acknowledged that they wanted it to taste more like Pepsi. I'm sure the B-School must case study that one.
hodedofome
Nobody in Texas wants Pepsi, so let's just freaking get rid of it. It's Waco, people want Dr Pepper. Give the people what they want, or stop trying to figure out how people stopped attending your university and it's events once you began cramming things down people's throats they didn't want.
FrankFallonCalling
One of the selling points about leaving Coke was that Pepsi could distribute Dr Pepper.
davesburgerbarn
Good riddance. About 6 years ago Baylor wanted to put a Dave's on campus. Aramark stepped in and said that they wanted 75% of my gross sales. I had to cover all grocery and labor costs.

We used to always have the food truck out for DIA. Aramark decided that they did not want food trucks out, so we haven't been out the last couple of years.
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/texas/mouthwatering-burgers-tx/

Save 20% when you mention SicEm365
BUDOS
Correct.
BaylorHistory
Pepsi Zero Cherry is pretty good.

I just forget about it.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
hodedofome
FrankFallonCalling said:

One of the selling points about leaving Coke was that Pepsi could distribute Dr Pepper.
Who cares. Baylor is in Waco, the birthplace of Dr Pepper. Dr Pepper would be happy to be the distributor and supplier of drinks to the university. Obviously, the decision was made to pick the highest bidder. It's greedy and anyone can figure it out, and puts a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Baylor chose the money over making the right decision.
FrankFallonCalling
hodedofome said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

Who cares. Baylor is in Waco, the birthplace of Dr Pepper. Dr Pepper would be happy to be the distributor and supplier of drinks to the university. Obviously, the decision was made to pick the highest bidder. It's greedy and anyone can figure it out, and puts a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Big RC Cola guy, huh?
Coke Bear
hodedofome said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

A buddy of mine works for DP. Briles really wanted Gatorade and DP, arrogantly, would not allow it. They believed that they owned the right to Baylor. They lost the contract.

They now know they were wrong.

I asked my buddy if they were going to try to win back the contract. A year ago he thought so, but he doesn't seem to think so when I asked him about it this summer.

That may change now that Aramark is out.

I'll touch base with him before the next season.
SteamedHams
Coke Bear said:

hodedofome said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

A buddy of mine works for DP. Briles really wanted Gatorade and DP, arrogantly, would not allow it. They believed that they owned the right to Baylor. They lost the contract.

They now know they were wrong.

I asked my buddy if they were going to try to win back the contract. A year ago he thought so, but he doesn't seem to think so when I asked him about it this summer.

That may change now that Aramark is out.

I'll touch base with him before the next season.
I wish we had Coke Zero at the dining halls, although it's probably been best that having all Pepsi products has pushed me to only have water with every meal on campus for the last decade or so.

https://baylorlariat.com/2015/09/03/baylor-switches-to-pepsi-as-official-campus-drink-provider/
BaylorHistory
FrankFallonCalling said:

hodedofome said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

Big RC Cola guy, huh?
All true Americans are

“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
cowboycwr
What is this Pepsi all of you are talking about? Everyone knows it is Dr. Pepper. Dr. Pepper hour, Dr. Pepper floats, etc.
cowboycwr
Eleven-League Grant said:

hodedofome said:

Funny thing, my Northern friends prefer Pepsi.

My Southern friends don't.

Both drinks started out in the South, though -- Pepsi in North Carolina and Coke in Georgia.

I was a supplier to both Pepsi and Coke for over 3 decades, with Pepsi actually being a slightly better customer. To show my appreciation, I would make a conscious effort to buy Pepsi products at least some of the time. Their cola formulation was not my favorite, so I would buy Mountain Dew instead, which tasted pretty good, but the high caffeine count in that stuff would limit my intake to just one or two lest my head start swimming.

Throughout the years I would remark to my wife that I sure wish Pepsi would introduce a Coke 'clone' and call it 'Pepsi Sharp' or something similar. I mean, look at their vending machines -- they've got space for 15,000 flavor variations of Mountain Dew, so it wouldn't crowd their product line.

As far as cloning Coke -- I mean, if Coke didn't have a problem with ripping off Dr Pepper with Mr Pibb, why couldn't Pepsi do the same with Coke? No, I'm not advocating for them to change the Pepsi formulation, as obviously, some people prefer it. But, if they had a clone available, maybe they wouldn't hear groans when customers are told, 'No Coke, Just Pepsi'. All I can figure is that it is corporate pride.

And besides, when New Coke was introduced back in the '80's, they acknowledged that they wanted it to taste more like Pepsi. I'm sure the B-School must case study that one.
Pepsi a better customer?????? You must not have been trying to get a jet from them through their promotion.....
SteamedHams
cowboycwr said:

What is this Pepsi all of you are talking about? Everyone knows it is Dr. Pepper. Dr. Pepper hour, Dr. Pepper floats, etc.
cowboycwr
hodedofome said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

Are we on the football forum???? Baylor chose something over the right decision again??????
EnglishBear
cowboycwr said:

Also, everyone knows it's Dr Pepper.
Yogi
All I know is that our football program was absolutely kicking ass, and then Pepsi comes along...

And now, we can't seem to win a coin toss!

Am I right?

Let's get rid of this **** that nobody wants!
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
SoonerFrogs
theyll probably go with Levy and they suck, too
BCL79
This is, possibly, the best thread I've read in weeks.
OsoCoreyell
Let's put The Tailgate Guys in charge of campus food!!
SteamedHams

Baylor University announced today that Chartwells Higher Education, a nationally recognized leader in food service management, has been selected as the University's new dining services partner, effective June 1, 2024.

The announcement follows approval by the Baylor Board of Regents through a special subcommittee established in November for the limited purpose of approving contracts that require execution before the Board's regular February 2024 meeting. The Board's approval was based upon a recommendation by the President's Council and a campus-wide services evaluation committee. Contract negotiations between Baylor and Chartwells Higher Education are underway.

"We look forward to welcoming Chartwells Higher Education to Baylor University as our dining services partner on June 1, 2024. They are well known as an innovative, exciting and sustainable provider on more than 300 campuses across the country," said Peter Granick, associate vice president of business services and chief procurement officer at Baylor. "I also want to thank Aramark for their decades-long partnership with Baylor and the dedicated employees who have faithfully served our community. We will continue to foster a positive relationship with Aramark, and we are working cooperatively to ensure minimal disruption to operations or employees."

Baylor University has for many years functioned in a combined multi-services relationship with Aramark for facilities, dining, custodial and other campus services. This single source approach has been under consideration for some time, and based on a range of feedback, the University recently issued requests for proposals to separate vendors for its next contract cycle, to allow for a more focused and customizable delivery of services.

Parameters in Baylor's dining services request for proposals required all potential vendors to outline how they would approach the retention of current Aramark employees, proposed work-hour structures and fair market compensation. The University has been pleased with the approach submitted by Chartwells and believes a transition next June will provide beneficial opportunities for dining employees. A Chartwells Higher Education team is connecting with current Aramark employees in a variety of ways regarding opportunities with Chartwells.

"Chartwells Higher Education is thrilled for the opportunity to partner with Baylor University, continuing to support the vision, mission and values of the institution through exceptional dining service," said Joe Fischioni, West Division President, Chartwells Higher Education. "As an organization that prides itself on creating rewarding opportunities for our great people, we are particularly excited to work alongside current dining employees to share how they might become integral members of the Chartwells team. We look forward to partnering with Baylor University next June, and working together to provide students, faculty and staff with an exceptional on-campus dining experience."

Granick also thanked the evaluation committee, comprised of staff and faculty from across the University, for its time and service during the extensive review and recommendation process.
Bear Doc
SteamedHams said:

Baylor University announced today that Chartwells Higher Education, a nationally recognized leader in food service management, has been selected as the University's new dining services partner, effective June 1, 2024.

The announcement follows approval by the Baylor Board of Regents through a special subcommittee established in November for the limited purpose of approving contracts that require execution before the Board's regular February 2024 meeting. The Board's approval was based upon a recommendation by the President's Council and a campus-wide services evaluation committee. Contract negotiations between Baylor and Chartwells Higher Education are underway.

"We look forward to welcoming Chartwells Higher Education to Baylor University as our dining services partner on June 1, 2024. They are well known as an innovative, exciting and sustainable provider on more than 300 campuses across the country," said Peter Granick, associate vice president of business services and chief procurement officer at Baylor. "I also want to thank Aramark for their decades-long partnership with Baylor and the dedicated employees who have faithfully served our community. We will continue to foster a positive relationship with Aramark, and we are working cooperatively to ensure minimal disruption to operations or employees."

Baylor University has for many years functioned in a combined multi-services relationship with Aramark for facilities, dining, custodial and other campus services. This single source approach has been under consideration for some time, and based on a range of feedback, the University recently issued requests for proposals to separate vendors for its next contract cycle, to allow for a more focused and customizable delivery of services.

Parameters in Baylor's dining services request for proposals required all potential vendors to outline how they would approach the retention of current Aramark employees, proposed work-hour structures and fair market compensation. The University has been pleased with the approach submitted by Chartwells and believes a transition next June will provide beneficial opportunities for dining employees. A Chartwells Higher Education team is connecting with current Aramark employees in a variety of ways regarding opportunities with Chartwells.

"Chartwells Higher Education is thrilled for the opportunity to partner with Baylor University, continuing to support the vision, mission and values of the institution through exceptional dining service," said Joe Fischioni, West Division President, Chartwells Higher Education. "As an organization that prides itself on creating rewarding opportunities for our great people, we are particularly excited to work alongside current dining employees to share how they might become integral members of the Chartwells team. We look forward to partnering with Baylor University next June, and working together to provide students, faculty and staff with an exceptional on-campus dining experience."

Granick also thanked the evaluation committee, comprised of staff and faculty from across the University, for its time and service during the extensive review and recommendation process.

Who doesn't want to Shart Well after eating at an on-campus dining facility?

EDIT: That is the woke-est looking food service provider website I have ever seen.,... on brand, Baylor.
Vae Victis
Bear Doc said:

SteamedHams said:

Who doesn't want to Shart Well after eating at an on-campus dining facility?

EDIT: That is the woke-est looking food service provider website I have ever seen.,... on brand, Baylor.
I agree! Sustainability is the new woke bs. I hate that term.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.